Why is Original of the Species related to The Beatles or Lennon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From the very first time I heard it, I thought the song had a very distinct Beatle-esque sound, especially during the "Didit, didit, didit..." part.

According to the setlist thread, Bono made a reference to Lennon before the song last night in Hartford (is this what you're referring to?). It's anyone's guess if he was speaking instrumentally, or lyrically. The lyrical intent has been discussed ad nauseum around here, and I've never heard any mention of Lennon. However, we all know that Bono is quite liberal in his attribution of lyrical meaning/inspiration, often changing to suit the occasion. It was probably just a reference to Lennon's influence on music, and him being an innovator.

VintagePunk said:
However, we all know that Bono is quite liberal in his attribution of lyrical meaning/inspiration, often changing to suit the occasion.

:giggle: So true! Pick your favorite song and your favorite inspiration/meaning for it, and next thing you know Bono's changed his mind about the origins, etc., in the next interview he does. Ay de mi! :wink:

Utoo said:

:giggle: So true! Pick your favorite song and your favorite inspiration/meaning for it, and next thing you know Bono's changed his mind about the origins, etc., in the next interview he does. Ay de mi! :wink:

The one that gets me is RTSS being dedicated to the American Troops. Where does he come up with this stuff?? :eyebrow:

VintagePunk said:

The one that gets me is RTSS being dedicated to the American Troops. Where does he come up with this stuff?? :eyebrow:

Well it's BTBS now on the 3rd leg! Seems a bit odd to me. :eyebrow:

OOTS is the closest U2 have come to sounding like the Beatles. This was obvious from day one of the album's release. The last time U2 have come this close to sounding like the Beatles was All I Want is You. These are two amazing songs.

Roland of Gilead said:
OOTS is the closest U2 have come to sounding like the Beatles. This was obvious from day one of the album's release. The last time U2 have come this close to sounding like the Beatles was All I Want is You. These are two amazing songs.

Vocally, Big Girls Are Best from U2:7 is very Beatles-esque

WalkOn21 said:

What? Really?

Bono's losing it now. Dedicating an anti-America song to US troops. :coocoo:

It's not really BTBS, per se, that he's dedicating. It's the "Johnny Comes Marching" portion, as well as the acting part, that he's dedicating.

Johnny comes marching home again,
hoorah, hoorah.
hoorah, hoorah.
No matter what he's done,
no matter what he's seen,
let Johnny come safely home to me.....

The thought that it's really BTBS in itself that's being dedicated has led to a bit of confusion...

I think OOTS is the first time they've really, truly aped the Beatles.

Last night in Hartford he remarked something like "more than half of this song was directly ripped from The Beatles" or something like that...

U2 started recording Atomic Bomb with Chris Thomas producing. Chris began his career working with the Beatles as a recording engineer. During the sessions for their 1968 album The Beatles (aka The White Album), when Beatles producer George Martin went on vacation, Chris Thomas actually ended up serving as their producer for many songs, though he was never officially credited as such. Bono has said the Beatles are his favorite band and that this White Album is the blueprint for U2, due to its diversity in styles of music.

In 2003, Bono was quoted that during the Atomic Bomb sessions with Chris Thomas, the guys spent a lot of time excitedly talking to him about his work with the Beatles, as well as with the Sex Pistols, who he also produced.

I believe that Chris' participation in the recording directly led to U2 recording such a Beatles sounding song as Original Of The Species.

Utoo said:

It's not really BTBS, per se, that he's dedicating. It's the "Johnny Comes Marching" portion, as well as the acting part, that he's dedicating.

hoorah, hoorah.
hoorah, hoorah.
No matter what he's done,
no matter what he's seen,
let Johnny come safely home to me.....

The thought that it's really BTBS in itself that's being dedicated has led to a bit of confusion...
Then still, it's not the best choice to dedicate a song that's linked to BTBS to the US troops.

Hell, I think it's hypocrite anyway, dedicating anything to the US troops while you're playing anti-America songs in the same concert.

WalkOn21 said:

What? Really?

Bono's losing it now. Dedicating an anti-America song to US troops. :coocoo:

Bullet is not an anti-America song, it's an anti American foreign policy song.

In the concerts he is saying that while he disagrees with the US military actions in Iraq, as in El Salvador in the 1980s (the subject of the song lyrics), he fully supports the people who by choice or not by choice, are out there putting their lives on the line in support of their country.

Halup said:

Bullet is not an anti-America song, it's an anti American foreign policy song.

In the concerts he is saying that while he disagrees with the US military actions in Iraq, as in El Salvador in the 1980s (the subject of the song lyrics), he fully supports the people who by choice or not by choice, are out there putting their lives on the line in support of their country.

Exactly. It's an example of the argument for supporting troops, but not the policy or actions. There's a pretty good distinction, IMO, but most of the country doesn't seem to get it.

Utoo said:

Exactly. It's an example of the argument for supporting troops, but not the policy or actions. There's a pretty good distinction, IMO, but most of the country doesn't seem to get it.

Right. Just because someone has a "support our troops" ribbon on their car does NOT mean they support the war itself (though my mom and I actually have a "bring 'em home!" ribbon :wink: ).

as for OOTS, the song itself is very Beatlesesque, that's what he means. and it's perfect.

Wild Honey and Original of the Species - definitely Beatlesque. In particular, check out the cascading guitars during Give you everything you want...except the thing that you want. This is very Lennon-esque.

I think the single version is even more Beatlesque. What do you guys think?

Quite possibly, hard to say. I haven't heard it near as much as the album version.

I think OOTS and Wild Honey are two of U2's most Beatlesy songs.

OK, to go offtopic just one more time:

It's true Bono only "supports" the troops in a way of "let them come home alive". Still, it creates the impression he supports the war too. Those who know him just a little bit better, won't think that (c'mon, Bono supporting a war :eyebrow:), but just the I-like-the-music-but-I-don't-know-anything-about-U2 fans could get the impression that Bono actually has no problems with the Iraq war.

And now back to OOTS and how beatle-esque it is. :wink:
I'm off now, the movie Hard Day's Night is on tv here (not joking). ;)

WalkOn21 said:
but just the I-like-the-music-but-I-don't-know-anything-about-U2 fans could get the impression that Bono actually has no problems with the Iraq war.

I dunno. I think that we on this board don't often give "casual fans" the benefit of the doubt intelligence-wise.. :shifty: Unless they're of the black-and-white "your with us or you're against us" brand, I think that most could figure it out, even if they don't know the intricate details of Bono's politics. :shrug:

Anyhoosers.....:wink:

VintagePunk said:
According to the setlist thread, Bono made a reference to Lennon before the song last night in Hartford (is this what you're referring to?)

Yeah That is what i was refering to. I totally agree the first time i head it, The Beatles influence was obvious. The genius thing about it is that despice the obvious refrence, the song remains unique and genuine. Its not imitating, its assimilating it and making it yours.

Wasn't Original of the Species around since the ATYCLB days?

so would Chris Thomas have less of an influence over it? Or was it pretty different before the HTDAAB sessions?

Back
Top Bottom