Why does everyone go crazy about the "Sing..." part in Sometimes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrownEyedBoy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Seriously it isn't that high a note or that difficult to pull off. The "FeeEeel" in Vertigo is a lot harder and I don't see anyone fussing about it. What's the deal?

:scratch:

Whats the deal about either song? Neither would get near a U2 top 20, with the overly used and fuc#ing annoying choruses!
As someone said in an earlier thread "Hello, Hello".......shut the fuck up!:wink:

BrownEyedBoy said:
Seriously it isn't that high a note or that difficult to pull off. The "FeeEeel" in Vertigo is a lot harder and I don't see anyone fussing about it. What's the deal?

I've wondered that several times myself.

siiiiing = operatic? = more like :yawn:

That´s the part more I hate of the whole extremely boring and predictable pop song :down: :yawn:

Ah, the bashers have come out to play.

I wish you'd all stayed away from your Internet connection.

Because it's a really long note and it's obviously very heartfelt and powerful.

On the album it sounds sorta weak with the weird falsetto at the beginning, but live it is :drool:

The feel part in Vertigo isn't as hard, for me anyway. but I'm not much of a singer :)

ponkine said:
That´s the part more I hate of the whole extremely boring and predictable pop song :down: :yawn:

Extremely boring and predictable ? You talking about a song or your posts?

Last edited:
AtomicBono said:
Because it's a really long note and it's obviously very heartfelt and powerful.

On the album it sounds sorta weak with the weird falsetto at the beginning, but live it is :drool:

:yes: well said.

I'm sure the notes aren't too hard to hit, but it's the emotion that Bono brings into the notes.

one day, everyone shall realize that good music involves a large amount of emotion... :)

Axver said:

Actually I am not bashing sometimes. I just think that credit is being misdirected seeing as how the high parts on Vertigo are much harder to reach. Bono couldn't reach those notes on the Elevation tour and he can - most of the time - now.

That's all I'm trying to point out: the "sing" part on Sometimes isn't really as special as it's made out to be here on Interference. That's all. :shrug:

Axver said:

Amen dude.

I mean god damn, it's a great song, he brings the emotion with it, and it is hard to sing.

But! I guess my reasoning is this: You get so far in the setlist, your voice starts to go, and to be able to hit those high notes becomes much more difficult. Not only that, I can't sing, I know I can't, so I guess that's why I am so impressed with Bono because it is difficult. He's just blessed to have it.

Now with the regards to Vertigo. It's the first song on the setlist on this leg, and the second on the 1st leg. A person's voice is fresh obviously so of course Bono can sing it with ease.

But then there's that very last Vertigo in the setlist haha so I have no argument there.....

i just can't believe how someone couldn't like this part of the song...oh well:(
really though...it is rather difficult to sing, and sounds absolutely beautiful...there is so much emotion embedded into this portion of the song

BrownEyedBoy said:

Try it! Seriously, it's a difficult upper range to hit.

The high notes in Vertigo are challenging for sure, but to hit a "tenor" style note (from the gut, NOT falsetto) and sustain it as in "Sometimes", is not an easy thing to do.

Asides from the difficulty level in performing it, maybe folks just appreciate the emotion it's conveying.

Last edited:
Sometimes is so much harder to sing, simply because the whole song is climaxing and the emotion is building. Vertigo is a lighter song, while Sometimes deals with sadness and regret.

Plus, how many of you are really singing it right? Vertigo is harder for some simply because it is out of their registers, but to sing the note correctly in Sometimes requires some knowledge of opera, which in case you didnt know, is really really hard to sing (believe me, i know, my sister is studying it and i cant do it at all)

No, in fact Vertigo is harder to sing than Sometimes. Sometimes has lower notes on the verses (then, you don't have to make such an effort), Vertigo is sung faster with verses after verses like rap (less time to breathe) and the chorus has got higher notes. The Sometimes highest "siiiiiing" may be harder, but the whole Vertigo is more difficult...

Personally I think Vertigo is more difficult to sing.
Granted if you sing them properly and not falsetto as someone else mentioned. Vertigo has a faster pace and more upper register singing, by the time you hit those notes you better come up with the goods quick. On Sometimes, you can basically hold back and belt it.

The notes are the same (A) in Sometimes and Vertigo, with the latter half of "feel" and "kneel" going a half step higher to B.

the "Free" during the bridge to Native Son is much harder than them both, a sustained B for about 6 measures (8 or 9 seconds).

Try that one. One of Bono's highest notes ever. Pretty impressive.

Last edited:
U2DMfan said:

the "Free" during the bridge to Native Son is much harder than them both, a sustained B for about 6 measures (8 or 9 seconds).

Try that one. One of Bono's highest notes ever. Pretty impressive.

:drool: I love that part, I wish that would have been in Vertigo...or live maybe...

SiW87 said:

Amen dude.

I mean god damn, it's a great song, he brings the emotion with it, and it is hard to sing.

But! I guess my reasoning is this: You get so far in the setlist, your voice starts to go, and to be able to hit those high notes becomes much more difficult. Not only that, I can't sing, I know I can't, so I guess that's why I am so impressed with Bono because it is difficult. He's just blessed to have it.

Now with the regards to Vertigo. It's the first song on the setlist on this leg, and the second on the 1st leg. A person's voice is fresh obviously so of course Bono can sing it with ease.

But then there's that very last Vertigo in the setlist haha so I have no argument there.....

I disagree. Bono tends to sound better as the concert progresses, as his voice warms up. When they play Vertigo at the beginning of the show, he sounds kind of creaky and hoarse. Overall, I'm not a big fan of Bono's singing on the live versions of Vertigo. Teh studio version sounds better most of the time.

AtomicBono said:

:drool: I love that part, I wish that would have been in Vertigo...or live maybe...

Sounds good, but I haven't heard Native Son sadly. Anyone know if it's uploaded anywhere?

hearing the bootleg from amsterdam i think it was, were he held the not for when seemed like forever

as axver said the bitches have come out to play

starvinmarvin said:

Overall, I'm not a big fan of Bono's singing on the live versions of Vertigo. Teh studio version sounds better most of the time.

Okay, I just heard a bootleg of Amsterdam and I can understand the deal with Vertgo. Personally out of all the live Vertigo versions I've heard, I like the studio one the best too. I'm just giving Bono credit for at least trying to sing the difficult notes in SYCMIOYO.

But yeah, I see what you're saying.

KUEFC09U2 said:
hearing the bootleg from amsterdam i think it was, were he held the not for when seemed like forever

as axver said the bitches have come out to play

Par for the course Kev :wink:

I like Vertigo, Native Son AND Sometimes you can't make it on your own.

I must be one Fucked-Up U2 fan.

Its very difficult, to put the emotion needed, not just hit the note
If you think its easy, record yourself and put it in this forum so we can download it and judge your performance....
ah?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom