Why do so many people (even U2 fans) have issues with Bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hatrickpatrick

The Fly
Seriously, what's up with that? I can see it even in a lot of my friends and certainly on most online forums I browse, either "I hate U2, Bono is a douche" or "I love U2, BUT Bono is a douche".
What's the deal? The man's a genius, just like everyone in or involved with U2 is IMO, and from his songwriting to his humanitarian efforts I can't think of anything major to criticise him for (and to be fair, I think anything you CAN criticise him for is something you could also criticise any major celebrity for, including Edge, Adam, and Larry). PEople say he's a hypocrite, he has no right to speak politically, and then on the other hand they say his lyric writing is awful and he should "confine himself" to singing - people even seem to blame him when things go wrong for the band in general on stage.

I have to say I get incredibly p*ssed off when people start the general Bono Bashing...
Can anyone shed some light on it?

There are two types of major rock stars in the world: 1) those who are beholden to the blues, traditional forms, and musicality for music's sake. This type is epitomized by somebody like Eric Clapton. Then, there is 2) those who are performers and spirit-raisers, particularly those of the post-punk generation. This type is epitomized by Bono or Gavin Friday or Morrissey or Michael Stipe.

In my experience, the two types don't get along. For example, my dad is the first type, and he also thinks Bono is an arrogant prick. And he's never heard a U2 album. It's not a generational/age thing, it's just two different perspectives.

Although I've always been a huge U2 fan, I can understand the U2-haters at times (not the mindless "Bono is a douche!" ones, but the more intelligent variety). U2 can be a bit boring, bit self-important, and of course Bono's endless sermons on stage are easy to mock and parody -- I don't think there's any doubt that even his bandmates have criticized him for this at times. You know, there's the attitude -- quite understandable -- which is: "we're here for a concert, so shut up and play the songs." I sometimes feel that way, too.

There are two other factors I'll mention for why a lot of people hate Bono:
1) U2 have been the world' biggest group for at least 22 years -- this is not comparable to any other group, and so they are the biggest and easiest target of casual music fans -- and Bono is the face of U2.
2) U2 -- and esp. Bono -- are thoroughly uncool. They themselves know this and celebrate it almost, but I think, to a lot of casual music fans, U2's nerdiness (which endears itself to fans of other bands) turns people off. U2 is almost too willing to stick its collective neck out, in the hopes that critics will chop it off (which they do). Yet, despite this fact, U2 stays big and keeps getting bigger and bigger.... which just fuels their detractors' fire.

Although I've always been a huge U2 fan, I can understand the U2-haters at times (not the mindless "Bono is a douche!" ones, but the more intelligent variety). U2 can be a bit boring, bit self-important, and of course Bono's endless sermons on stage are easy to mock and parody -- I don't think there's any doubt that even his bandmates have criticized him for this at times. You know, there's the attitude -- quite understandable -- which is: "we're here for a concert, so shut up and play the songs." I sometimes feel that way, too.

There are two other factors I'll mention for why a lot of people hate Bono:
1) U2 have been the world' biggest group for at least 22 years -- this is not comparable to any other group, and so they are the biggest and easiest target of casual music fans -- and Bono is the face of U2.
2) U2 -- and esp. Bono -- are thoroughly uncool. They themselves know this and celebrate it almost, but I think, to a lot of casual music fans, U2's nerdiness (which endears itself to fans of other bands) turns people off. U2 is almost too willing to stick its collective neck out, in the hopes that critics will chop it off (which they do). Yet, despite this fact, U2 stays big and keeps getting bigger and bigger.... which just fuels their detractors' fire.

hit the nail on the head.

as a u2 fan i can understand why both fans and non-fans can dislike bono. so much of what they do creatively relies on bono - he was a space cadet for the last two albums and they've been really poorly received by fans and therefore it's easy to hold it against him if they're producing poor music and he's preaching to us.

and it's kind of a no shit thing as to why non-fans can dislike him, really. it's so obvious to the point at which you wonder why people need to ask this question.

in general people talk an enormous amount of complete shite based on nothing in particular

i mean if you really want to know here is a point of view from a bono hater..

he gives 11 reasons why

The eleven worst songs of 2004.

:lol: For someone to spew that much hate about something they know so little about just shows pure ignorance. Like a 2 yr old having a tantrum, it's for attention. Simple as that. My question to him would be, why so much hate? Me thinks that U2 has touched a nerve inside him somewhere that he has become loud and defensive as a result.
But everyone is entitled to have an opinion even though I disagree.
And like Bono says...
"the right to be ridiculous is something I hold dear"

Let him be ridiculous. It saves lives.

He's famous, amazingly sucessful and is on a place that no other person has ever come doing what he does.
There are jealous people in this world.
Do the math.

Bono doesn't give a fuck about what people think of him and it pisses people off
:applaud::yes:
This was posted in another thread where Bono answers his critics during the Vertigo Tour.
I love the last question/answer, sums it all up very nicely:

Kot: But you do have the courage of your convictions. You don't care what people think of you for having those convictions. You sparked a week-long debate in this town about music, and what kind of social role it should play, and why people care about it, and why they should care about it.

Bono: Yeah, we love this city. We've always annoyed people. Around the time of "Zoo TV," we were in danger of being cool, but we fixed that [laughs]. Now there are loads of people who would love to murder me on a daily basis. Stirring it up, it's good. Our definition of art is putting your head above the parapet, and be ready for the custard pie. I happen to love the taste of it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-050521bono-transcript,0,4367110.story?page=1

People say Bono has a huge ego, but I think at the end of the day, Bono is really self-consciouses and sometimes probably has self-esteem problems. We all know he likes to make fun of himself, and I think he actually is a really down to earth guy. He hides behind the sunglasses and egotism maybe because he is actually somewhat insecure deep down. At least that has always been my theory on Bono. and I really do think Bono is a great guy who means well. I think he legitimately cares about his causes and is trying to do good in this world.

I think Bono was a better lyricist and singer when he was "in danger of being cool." I think the whole "were cool cuz we go out of our way to be uncool" is seriously NOT COOL! It's like these days if i read a lyric he's written that i think is incredibly cheesy, am i supposed to stop and think "well, actually he's purposely writing lyrics that aren't cool, so therefore this shit is the coolest!" No, i say.

Sometimes when people look at Bono they see everything they can't or won't be. Not talking bout the people who genuingly care about the world and can't help heal it. The one's who don't give a shit and get upset when they see someone so dedicated to not only bandaging humanity's wounds, but also helping people help each other.
Yeah I get annoyed too, I'll admit it. Then I have to admit that the B-man is putting himself out there and taking the shit being thrown at him as well as the accolades.
Bono is at heart a good man and can only hate a good man if you hate yourself.

to add in, everyone who is famous gets ripped on for one thing or another..

there's not ONE famous band member/celebrity who does not get picked on or hated by people

I have found that almost every single person who hates Bono:

1. has jealousy issues / is overly prone to being a jealous person

2. is insecure about their own significance and has not learned how to
deal with that in a healthy manner (i.e. doing something about it)

I have found this to hold true almost every time

I have never met Bono. But, from what I have read, in his own words. Bono is a very decent guy. He does not abuse children, nor is he a woman beater. Just the opposite. He loves and cares for his family, and friends.

I think he is honest and sensitive.

People say Bono has a huge ego, but I think at the end of the day, Bono is really self-consciouses and sometimes probably has self-esteem problems. We all know he likes to make fun of himself, and I think he actually is a really down to earth guy. He hides behind the sunglasses and egotism maybe because he is actually somewhat insecure deep down. At least that has always been my theory on Bono. and I really do think Bono is a great guy who means well. I think he legitimately cares about his causes and is trying to do good in this world.

I agree....:applaud:

P.S. I like Bono's so called ego. I call it a good sense of humor!

The man's a genius, just like everyone in or involved with U2 is IMO

Those spotlight operators are GENIUS!

:wink:

Joking aside, most people in my own life who have very strong personalities I find I either really like or really dislike. It's hard to feel ambivalent or just kind of 'meh' about someone who comes on strong and/or seems to always be the center of attention. Other personality traits come into play as far as coloring that perception, and that's where, at least to me, I can forgive some of Bono's more annoying tendencies. Some people may not.

Even geniuses can be wrong and have annoying habits. :shrug:

Those spotlight operators are GENIUS!

:wink:

Joking aside, most people in my own life who have very strong personalities I find I either really like or really dislike. It's hard to feel ambivalent or just kind of 'meh' about someone who comes on strong and/or seems to always be the center of attention. Other personality traits come into play as far as coloring that perception, and that's where, at least to me, I can forgive some of Bono's more annoying tendencies. Some people may not.

Even geniuses can be wrong and have annoying habits. :shrug:

Great post.....everyone, geniuses included, has some "quirkiness" to their personality. I tend to be a more laid back/ somewhat shy person. So, I enjoy those, who are more outgoing than me.

He's famous, amazingly sucessful and is on a place that no other person has ever come doing what he does.
There are jealous people in this world.
Do the math.

I have found that almost every single person who hates Bono:

1. has jealousy issues / is overly prone to being a jealous person

2. is insecure about their own significance and has not learned how to
deal with that in a healthy manner (i.e. doing something about it)

I have found this to hold true almost every time

I agree with these two posts. It's jealousy in my opinion.

I also think that another reason why people continously bash Bono is because he's a do-gooder, In my theory many people prefer their rockstars to be arrogant, rude, violent and drug intoxicated (Bono is none of that IMO).

I have a few more theories but i'll probably leave that until later.

ok my theory

the U2 fans who have "issues" with Bono only say that they dislike Bono because of Bono's reputation among U2 haters. Those fans are the ones who are afraid to say they like U2 because they know that someone will say some shit about Bono, therefore they say they have issues with Bono as to detach themselves from the hate that comes along with admitting that you like beautiful music- regardless of the lead singer.

I really used to ponder this question myself - until I decided I don't give a flying shit. :shrug: It's not my place to convert the haters, same as it's not anyone else's place to try and reverse my belief that goats bleating Ave Maria would sound better than anything that Metallica has ever produced. :|

As for U2 "fans" that hate/have issues with Bono, I can't offer a good explanation, other than to point out that I don't see how someone can count themselves a fan & 'hate' the lead singer... :huh: Seems to me, you hate the main voice/face of a group, then you're really not a fan. An observer, a casual listener? Yes. A fan? Not so much.

And that's cool... 'cuz haters don't buy tickets to see U2 in concert which makes it easier for me to do exactly that. Which is a win/win if I ever saw one. :up: :D

Because we live in a world of cynics, where people instantly judge people/things without understanding them, and positive intentions can be laughed at as ego-stroking. If you hadn't read an in-depth interview with him (like the RS one from 2005) or knew anything about his life/weren't a U2 fan, just saw him making grand-statements and working with politicians then you might think he's some ego-maniac (or you might have no concept of melodic music, and a voice like his that doesn't really belong in rock music, but something more classic, would stick out as 'annoying). Honestly its about snap-judgements and celebrity over-exposure. He puts a ton of emotion into his music, and so much effort into using his exposure for the benefit of causes that have touched him, but we live in a culture (particularly in the United States) that's all about me, me, me. So instead of seeing that he has something to say, is doing good things, and pouring out his heart in music and in politics, we see him as an ego-trip. People say he should keep out of politics, well you know what, I've seen him make a much bigger impact than most politicians, and with a lot more sincere care.

Its disgusting, but if people would rather live that way, that's their choice.

I have a feeling their anger and hate, and self-focus will leave them rather cold and alone later in life.

Just the same as people who take U2's over-exposure over the years as a reason to automatically hate them without knowing anything about their music (or call them derivative and simple without listening to all their music and seeing just how much creativity, and compositional tricks have been poured into their albums over the years, but most people don't know much about music anyway), yet will praise Radiohead, Coldplay, and an entire generation of artists who cite U2 as an inspiration (and/or markedly show it in their music) 'til kingdom come. It comes down to hating something universally liked and not knowing a thing about music composition. That and they're very emotional, something this stoic and standoffish culture tries to avoid a lot of the time, no? But you know what, they're the ones missing out, I know why they resonate with me so much, and I know the kind of influence they had, I'm no cynic, and I stand-by that and what they mean to me, so I can care less when the uniformed of my age make negative comments, I'm still just as likely to blast some U2 later on and feel great, or moved, or just plain dance. You can't dent me.

I think jealousy and envy are two big factors definitely.

A lot of people think he comes across as pompous, arrogant and too self-important, but even Bono makes fun of this and is happy to accept the criticism.

Manty peiople I have spoken to have a real problem with U2 sending a lot of their money abroad and avoiding tax in Ireland i.e. they'll usually say "how can Bono go on about donating to Africa, when his own band isn't paying taxes their own country" or "what has he ever donated personally" blah blah blah.

The way I see it is that Bono knows he has got to a position of power and influence and if he can use that in some way, even if it is uncool, reflects badly on him and invites constant criticism, who cares, if that means he can save lives and maybe educate people about the issues, increase awareness etc.

I'd say the same thing to the haters, at least Bono realised where he has got to in life and is trying to use that in a positive way, whether it's the RED campaign, starting the EDUN line with Ali, the Drop The Debt campain and DATA etc. Of course the media put him in the spotlight and the amount of exposure will lead to people getting tired of him, fed up with Bono going on about the issues and the next leader he is meeting or convention he is going to.

How many other famous rock stars do as much as him? Would you or I try and make the same difference if we were in his position?

People are envious of how he is trying to make a change and I would also ask those haters, how much have you donated? How many campaigns do you support or organisations have you signed up to or started? How have you try to make a difference and influence people?

Are the majority of these Bono haters just couch potatoes, who don't lift a single finger to help out others or raise money for good causes and I don't just mean charity donations, because I'm not sure how many other volunteers or campaigners would criticise what Bono does...

There's always Liam Gallagher as the ideal cool role model for those who want a hip rock star, living up to his arrogant image, spending time criticisng others, but what else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom