Why did Bono lie about this being a long album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, I'm tendin' bar there at Ecklund and Swedlin's last Tuesday, and this little guy's drinkin' and he says, "So where can a guy find some action? I'm goin' crazy out there at the lake." And I says, "What kinda action?" and he says, "Woman action, what do I look like?" And I says, "Well, what do I look like, I don't arrange that kinda thing," and he says, "I'm goin' crazy out there at the lake," and I says, "Well, this ain't that kinda place." So he says, "So I get it, so you think I'm some kinda jerk for askin'," only he doesn't use the word "jerk." And then he calls me a jerk, and says the last guy who thought he was a jerk was dead now. So I don't say nothin' and he says, "What do ya think about that?" So I says, "Well, that don't sound like too good a deal for him, then." And he says, "Yah, that guy's dead, and I don't mean of old age." And then he says, "Geez, I'm goin' crazy out there at the lake."

go Bears!

I think the problem is NLOTH is the same U2 album, I mean, 11 songs and 50+ minutes long. :yawn:

So, I'm tendin' bar there at Ecklund and Swedlin's last Tuesday, and this little guy's drinkin' and he says, "So where can a guy find some action? I'm goin' crazy out there at the lake." And I says, "What kinda action?" and he says, "Woman action, what do I look like?" And I says, "Well, what do I look like, I don't arrange that kinda thing," and he says, "I'm goin' crazy out there at the lake," and I says, "Well, this ain't that kinda place." So he says, "So I get it, so you think I'm some kinda jerk for askin'," only he doesn't use the word "jerk." And then he calls me a jerk, and says the last guy who thought he was a jerk was dead now. So I don't say nothin' and he says, "What do ya think about that?" So I says, "Well, that don't sound like too good a deal for him, then." And he says, "Yah, that guy's dead, and I don't mean of old age." And then he says, "Geez, I'm goin' crazy out there at the lake."

Such a great movie... :up::up:

Take this seriously then...

i cant believe this thread is in page 15.

They wrote some music. We will listen to said music.

We get 53 minutes of it. Thats better than 0 minutes of it. Bono said it is long, and by modern convention for album lengths, and song lengths, the album is huge.

How this got to 15 pages baffles me.

If you are seriously complaining that we only get 53 minutes i feel REALLY sorry for you, because your life must be so hollow and empty to have absolutely nothing else in it.

Grow. The. Fuck. Up :wave:

Just for your reference, here is your quote too. This came after 15 pages of mostly substantive discussion and humorous remarks about Bono's penchant for hyperbole. This was the beginning of the "derailing".

It's relevant to us in a number of ways:

1. It is another blatant example of how over the launch of the past 3 albums, Bono has gone on about how they're doing something revolutionary, changing it up, using all this hyperbole, acting like they're doing something so different and trend-setting like Achtung Baby or Kid A, and instead, when push comes to shove, we get an over-produced, short, self-conscious collection of songs. There was a time when U2 put out ENTIRE ALBUMS and weren't worried about pop-friendly, radio songs. Ever since POP, they've been so worried about being themselves that they take what they write and overwork it to death. The U2 of the early 90's would have put out Native Son, or Mercy, or Smile, or the original ABOY. The U2 of the 80's certainly would not be releasing GOYB.

2. Length matters when you also consider how they've gone on about how creative they've been, reaching the "vein" or "mine" of musical sounds and ideas, and that's why it's taken them so long to produce an album. Now we get a 50 minute album with 10 songs and you gotta wonder, gee, maybe they're full of shite. Maybe they were just plain lazy or wrote 40 terrible songs and weren't sure what to do with them. Maybe they are just too self-conscious about what they wrote so they took 10 to Eno and said make this sound radio friendly. Whatever you want to consider, it is relevant considering it's been 5 years, they wrote 40 songs, and we get 10 at 50 minutes when Bono went on about it being long. It is worth noting.

One thing that you may have forgotten is that bands put out tons of b-sides nowadays. Look at Radiohead, almost each album has had 8-12 bsides that didn't make the album being released on singles. Or Coldplay, who put out an EP of bsides and then upped it by releasing 3-4 more through charities and digital downloads. Or Elbow...or Keane...or...?

If U2 recorded a whole bunch of material, what makes you believe that we won't get to hear them? My bet is that they wanted a cohesive album that was 'just the right length', and so they trimmed it a bit. We'll still get to hear what they trimmed when they release the singles/bsides. Then, if you're still bitching and moaning, just make your own cd with the missing songs.

Oh the irony.

Weren't you the poster who derailed this thread by visciously attacking the person who started it?

Just for your reference, here is your quote too. This came after 15 pages of mostly substantive discussion and humorous remarks about Bono's penchant for hyperbole. This was the beginning of the "derailing".

Haven't you had enough?

Seriously, we get it. You were disrespected or ignored or misunderstood or whatever the hell you were....we get it.

Can you now get over it and move on?

STOP DERAILING THE FUCKING THREAD!!!!

sorry for the cursing, but its getting really annoying.

Dear Bono,

I do not appreciate being lied to. I look to you to shed some light at a time of an uncertain future, to guide me, to lead me to a better tomorrow. Lying to me so egregiously, without regard for my feelings, shows me that you are not the person I made you out to be. And for this, I am profoundly disappointed.

Therefore, I am putting you on notice. I didn't want to, but you left me with no choice. Your lying, manipulative ways have got to stop. Who knows, maybe this will be the wakeup call you need to see that your lies are destructive, and that from here on in you should always tell the truth. You will never lie to ME again.

Colbert-Report-Chevy-Silver.jpg

Peace,

BoMac

Back
Top Bottom