Why did Bono lie about this being a long album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
perhaps you should stop for a moment and try to understand what it is that U2 are trying to do, and what it is that interests them at the moment.

and then stop and wonder why they played that exact segue from the Boy album on nearly every show on the first leg of the Vertigo tour.

it's clear to me that Bomb is in direct conversation with Boy.

I wholeheartedly agree with you that it is in conversation. The "oh oh, oh, yeah, oh" in Miracle Drug was U2 lifting from Boy. No doubt. However, their last two albums seem to compromised in my opinion and don't flow very well.

I wholeheartedly agree with you that it is in conversation. The "oh oh, oh, yeah, oh" in Miracle Drug was U2 lifting from Boy. No doubt. However, their last two albums seem to compromised in my opinion and don't flow very well.

i can agree on the lack of flow. i think ATYCLB comes to a screeching halt on track 8.

but i don't think the flow is the concern with those albums. which is fine. that's where it's about taste.

it's accusing U2 of being all about money, or fame, or cheap pop, since 2000 that, i think, misses the point entirely and indicates, to me, as i've said in another thread, a very shallow relationship with the band.

Achtung was from another time by a different band. that's not who they are now. remaking Achtung would be the sell-out bullshit that some thing Bomb is. imho.

Walkon.... Here is where i think we break down, and I have stated this countless times, but it doesn't sink in, so here goes in the plainest of english:

I/we have NO problem with you being disappointed in the length of this album. You can discuss the fact that you wanted it to be longer.

The problem arises when threads get started using emotive language like 'lied', and the post turns into a bitch-fest about how the fans were screwed over.

I don't view it that way at all. I interpret you, and most other members as follows:

We can say whatever we want, and if you disagree with us, you're being close-minded, disrespectful, and forceful here.

However, when someone else says something that we don't believe warrants a thread, or is negative and it bothers our U2-pride, we can lambast them and act as childish as we want and it's totally justified.

That's exactly what you did in this thread. Meanwhile, like four of us were actually having a substantive conversation about the album's length, substance, etc.

is this another thread about how U2's last two albums suck and so this one is probably going to suck too, especially because it's not the five hour epic that Bono promised?

yeah?

okay.

I don't view it that way at all. I interpret you, and most other members as follows:

We can say whatever we want, and if you disagree with us, you're being close-minded, disrespectful, and forceful here.

However, when someone else says something that we don't believe warrants a thread, or is negative and it bothers our U2-pride, we can lambast them and act as childish as we want and it's totally justified.

That's exactly what you did in this thread. Meanwhile, like four of us were actually having a substantive conversation about the album's length, substance, etc.

It's more about topics which have been discussed multiple times which can be merged with other threads more than anything. Some people do get a little bit frustrated by the mess it creates but that can be totally understandable for people such as admins whom would prefer to keep the site efficient.

I'm one who is guilty of discussing topics which are already being discussed in another thread however and I'm told where to go to discuss the topic, especially to do with news which is six months old. However I don't perceive any hostility because people are simply trying to help and keep everything organised.

In all I think a teaspoon of cement is required and then we can all carry on discussing U2 rather than discussing the inability to discuss.

i can agree on the lack of flow. i think ATYCLB comes to a screeching halt on track 8.

but i don't think the flow is the concern with those albums. which is fine. that's where it's about taste.

it's accusing U2 of being all about money, or fame, or cheap pop, since 2000 that, i think, misses the point entirely and indicates, to me, as i've said in another thread, a very shallow relationship with the band.

Achtung was from another time by a different band. that's not who they are now. remaking Achtung would be the sell-out bullshit that some thing Bomb is. imho.

I don't think the accusations of them being "money-hungry" or worried about staying famous with the "pop" crowd necessarily means people have a shallow relationship with the band. In fact, I think a ton of people who really are into U2 are disappointed with what they've done in the 2000's. I for one am sort of one of them. I mean man, I'm the fan that lifts heavy weights to "I fall down". Who does that? Hahaha. I run to "Wire". However, their last two albums seem very contrived in alot of ways. From the marketing, to the Ipod nonsense, to the cajillion different albums and singles.

I don't know, maybe at the age of 27 I don't have that wide-eyed sense of wonder anymore, and music doesn't grip me the same as a boring adult as it did as at 13. All I know in my mind, you have like U2 U2 - everything from Boy up to Pop, then this drastic curtailing of what they were, like U2 Lite, or U2-Adult Contemporary 1.0.

U2 always "went for it". After Pop and that fiasco, I think they got too safe.

i think Bomb is their best gym album.

i also don't look to U2 for "dangerous" music.

i want them to soar. that's all.

You should be able to talk about whatever you want...zombies eating turtles, good or bad U2...anything!

It is a discussion board...

If you CHOOSE to interpret that way, that is your prerogative, and your mistake.

You assume so much about things you know little about. That is where these fights start

It's more about topics which have been discussed multiple times which can be merged with other threads more than anything. Some people do get a little bit frustrated by the mess it creates but that can be totally understandable for people such as admins whom would prefer to keep the site efficient.

I just want to quickly point something out that maybe not many people know about or pay attention to, but is very helpful.

After you've read a thread and you later go back to that thread, OR, if your thread gets merged into another thread and you want to find the post, click on the thread title (first page of the thread) and there is a link at the top left hand corner that says "View First Unread". If you click that it will take you right to the spot where you last left off. Thus, no having to 'wade through' long threads to figure out where your posts are or what you read last.

I just want to quickly point something out that maybe not many people know about or pay attention to, but is very helpful.

After you've read a thread and you later go back to that thread, OR, if your thread gets merged into another thread and you want to find the post, click on the thread title (first page of the thread) and there is a link at the top left hand corner that says "View First Unread". If you click that it will take you right to the spot where you last left off. Thus, no having to 'wade through' long threads to figure out where your posts are or what you read last.

Thanks. That makes things much easier for my lazy self. :up:

"dangerous" music.

michael_jackson_dangerous-f.jpg

keep away from children.

Songwriting hey...

Bono used to say that the Bomb felt like their first album, and I tended to agree. A lot of those songs (on both albums) sound like they’re coming from a band that is years and years away from having the talent, maturity and experience to write a Love is Blindness or an Unforgettable Fire. Using the Beatles (very short and young) career as an example is fine and I do totally understand and respect what they were shooting for on both albums (or how they explained it), but fuck… I also totally understood and respected Michael Jordan taking a shot at baseball, but good lord it was good when he got the hell out of a field in Arizona and back on a basketball court in Chicago. Immediately before recording ATYCLB & HTDAAB, U2 weren’t mucking around, they were pushing out absolutely gorgeous songs like Stateless and Please, showing off their (then) 20 years at or near the top of the game. Talk about songcraft.

Great, timeless pop music is as difficult to write as a symphony, I get and appreciate that, but if you can do Stateless, make like Jordan and drop the Vertigo shit and get to it!

Oh, c'mon, don't be naive! The statement that they had to "go off and dream it all up again," then a vastly different sound and look, followed by the massive PR effort, and then the huge Zoo TV/Zooropa spectacles? The whole dumping of sincerity and going for irony? You don't see contrivance in there, you think it was completely organic?

I'm not saying it's a bad thing. Like, omg, how awful for artists to actually put thought into their careers! Not at all. But it is what it is. I honestly can't see how anyone could look at that era vs the 2000s and say that the 2000s are more contrived.

And yeah, AB is pretty much my favourite album/era, regardless. At least it spends more time at the top than any other album. I don't care how they arrived at it, what their motivations or reasons were, I'm more interested in the result.

I really have no idea what their personal or professional lives "collapsing" has to do with it, and I would also say collapsing is a hell of an overstatement. They were living, experiencing life's ups and downs, just like we all do.

Oh, c'mon, don't be naive! The statement that they had to "go off and dream it all up again," then a vastly different sound and look, followed by the massive PR effort, and then the huge Zoo TV/Zooropa spectacles? You don't see contrivance in there, you think it was completely organic?

I'm not saying it's a bad thing. Like, omg, how awful for artists to actually put thought into their careers! Not at all. But it is what it is. I honestly can't see how anyone could look at that era vs the 2000s and say that the 2000s are more contrived.

And yeah, AB is pretty much my favourite album/era. At least it spends more time at the top than any other album.

I really have no idea what their personal or professional lives "collapsing" has to do with it, and I would also say collapsing is a hell of an overstatement. They were living, experiencing life's ups and downs, just like we all do.

Was exploring American roots music on JT and R&H an act of contrivance, then? What about their experiments on October, War, UF? So basically, anything that was thought out and performed after their first ever band practice in Dublin has been contrived.

Oh, c'mon, don't be naive! The statement that they had to "go off and dream it all up again," then a vastly different sound and look, followed by the massive PR effort, and then the huge Zoo TV/Zooropa spectacles? The whole dumping of sincerity and going for irony? You don't see contrivance in there, you think it was completely organic?

And yeah, AB is pretty much my favourite album/era. At least it spends more time at the top than any other album.

With respect, I think you're misusing the word "contrived." Yes, they knew that they needed to reinvent themselves as artists in order to grow artistically, but one cannot be sincere and contrived at the same time. Yes, a lot of thought went into finding a new sound; but even more heart and spirit and blood and spit than plotting. They strained their souls to find that sound. No one can do what they did then simply through cold contrivance.

Back
Top Bottom