Who should open for U2 for the next tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kinder

Babyface
Hi all, i'm kinda new to posting... :wave:

anywho, i, like all of you, are in great anticipation for U2 to tour next year... and was thinking about who they should have open up for them. I saw both PJ Harvey and No Doubt open for them on the Elevation tour and honestly I like to see U2 throw their support behind lesser known (popular) acts like PJ Harvey.

I would like to see them bring some UK/Irish bands over here to get some exposure... Keane, The Stands, The Thrills, Starsailor, Elbow, Ed Harcourt, Franz Ferdinand would be fun. The Polyphonic Spree (US band) would also be tons of fun, but i don't think that would happen.

As far as bigger names, i was thinking Damien Rice, Travis (who also have a strong political vibe), or maybe Ryan Adams.

Who would you guys like to see open for them? :hmm:

Looking back at U2's last tour, it seems they enjoy solo females or female-lead bands open for them...

For this next tour, I would love to see the Raveonettes open for them. :heart: Fiona Apple would be awesome too if her record label would just release her new album!

I wouldn't be surprised if they brought PJ Harvey back out with them too being a label and management mate, and also because she too has an album coming out.

:shrug:

P.J. Harvey - I just recently got into her and I love her!
Beck
The White Stripes

Those last two might be too "big" to be an opening act though

(Edited to add Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds :hyper: Please oh please let them be releasing a new album around the same time as U2!)

Last edited:
:eyebrow: hmmh...don't really pay much attention, or at least I didn;t always in the past..but I did like Garbage, and I really wanted to see No Doubt. hmm..i believe they have tried that 'show casing new Irish bands'..to No avail! Except..1! And i do like the Corrs..I dunno, guess they will grab a new upcoming band/ or singer! i personally would not mind Ziggy opening for them!

nobody is too big to open for u2! :wink: hmmm, wouldnt it be interesting to see a tour where coldplay opens for them....they seem to have the same vibe as far as attitude towards a lot of things as u2. i think that would be a little improbable to see coldplay open for anybody though, unless it was for a couple nights or something. does anybody here like jet?? i have listened to them some lately and they are catching my attention... that would be cool for an opener

t8thgr8 said:
garbage has a new album coming out around the same time as u2

so how about garbage again???

Oasis should have a new album out near the end of this year or beginning of next year........since they haven't really broke America, how about them supporting U2 (again, kinda)??????

that would fucking rock......the two best bands...

um i beg to differ, the two best bands are garbage and u2. nice try though, oasis were cool when wonderwall was released

When they come to Australia and New Zealand, I would just about die if The Feelers supported them. That would be bloody amazing. Oh wow, if The Feelers played Weapons Of War and then U2 played Gloria in the same concert, I'd be in heaven.

Pink Floyd should open U2, and time should conspire to make this possible.

When U2 does get down here, I reckon odds are that Powderfinger will open in Australia and Zed in New Zealand. I don't know about the 'finger, but Zed's on the same label as U2.

I think it should be The Clash.Bono said they were the only band he would be afraid to play after.Unfortunately they no longer exist.

Last edited:
You are all missing the ideal fantasy choice:-
"We only know two types of music country AND western"
Bring on the Dalton Brothers.
To hear Lucille would be incredible.
Start a petition of some sort. :yes:

I would hemorrhage (sp?) if the White Stripes opened for U2. :combust: (Even though I know they're not very popular around these parts) :heart:

Yes it's true that they've had many female openers. But let's not forget Heroes of Hypocracy, Pixies, Rage Against the Machine, Fun Lovin' Criminals among others. They've used everyone from rap artists to politically charged rap rock bands. It's anybody's guess. Possible bands that could potentially happen and whom I'd like to see: Foo Fighters, White Stripes, Queens of the Stone Age, Pixies (again), and back on the hip hop vibe...how about Andree 2000..........HEY YAAAAAA

The Stands, The Thrills, Starsailor, JJ72 and ya Tea Party The Happy Mondays, Doves. Snow Patrol, Hawksley Workman , Keane

Oasis would be my top pic. The Thrills would be cool, or the White Stripes. I also like the Shins.

tarquinsuperb said:
You are all missing the ideal fantasy choice:-
"We only know two types of music country AND western"
Bring on the Dalton Brothers.
To hear Lucille would be incredible.
Start a petition of some sort. :yes:

Or what about Automatic Baby. That would be kinda interesting.

t8thgr8 said:
um i beg to differ, the two best bands are garbage and u2. nice try though, oasis were cool when wonderwall was released

oasis were cool, are still cool, and will always be fucking cool as long as the gallagher brothers are running the show

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom