Who should induct U2 to The Rock N? Roll Hall Of Fame?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Who the hell are we to question whether people are 'capable' or not of putting together a speech? If a certain artist is practically U2's biggest fan and U2 are the reason they are in the position they are in (Chris Martin, for example) then they are the most likely candidate for inducting them into the hall of fame...bollocks to Michael Stipe on the grounds of contemporaries...and bollocks to Avril Lavigne!! Punk Roots...maybe...but Avril Lavinge herself isn't punk...:yell: Just a load of 'heavy' pop crap! And while on the subject, she simply sounds influenced by the so-called Punk like Blink 182 and other such shit bands stupid naive teenagers are listening to these days rather than try and scrape together some dignity...and I think plenty of U2 fans would certainly start to flip shit if someone like her was inexplicably given the honour of inducting such a group into the Rock 'N' Hall of Fame.

My suggestion would probably be- Chris Martin and Jonny Buckland.

Last edited:
Avril is not even a possibility.

But in regards to your first comment - this is a light-hearted discussion because we are all looking forward to the Induction. We are not insulting anyone here but analyzing ppl most likely to do the job, or whether or not they'd give a good speech.

At this point, in terms of popularity, I'd say Chris Martin, too.

I'm not saying it is insulting...:madspit: and recent posts do give off the impression that it matters whether the people have good peech writing capablities or not...please read the earlier post. :wink:

:applaud: That's who I always wanted and thought it would be. They're perfect, and they are such characters it will be an interesting speech and a fun evening. I can just image the smiles and laughs now. I can't wait!

caragriff said:
noel and liam.

Darn, Noel Gallagher is a GREAT candidate for this...but for the fact that Oasis seems to have dropped off the radar screen in America. The powers that are at VH1 probably would prefer a representative of a more popular band, like Chris Martin.

But Noel would have been a great choice, IMHO.

why would bruce springsteen ever induct jackson browne? why would mick jagger induct jann wenner? why would keith richards induct zz top?

influencers can induct influencees, and vise versa... they would normally look to pick someone who's connected with the artist in someway, either a known huge fan or a friend or someone who's career has baisicly paralleled that of the other's...

my "favorites," in order of who i'd think the hall would pick first...
stipe
bill clinton
bob geldof
springsteen
chris martin
elvis costello
oprah :no:

Last edited:
OHmigod, Clinton! :laugh:

My problem with Chris Martin is that he's such a friggin unoriginal Johnny-come-lately. I don't think his album is that great, his music bores me to tears. I haven't read whatever it is he wrote and I don't care to. The inducter is supposed to be 'influenced by' not 'blatantly ripping off'. :madspit: :madspit: :madspit:

wolfeden said:
OHmigod, Clinton! :laugh:

My problem with Chris Martin is that he's such a friggin unoriginal Johnny-come-lately. I don't think his album is that great, his music bores me to tears. I haven't read whatever it is he wrote and I don't care to. The inducter is supposed to be 'influenced by' not 'blatantly ripping off'. :madspit: :madspit: :madspit:

Uh oh :uhoh: Better watch it Coldplay is worshipped here and you will get flamed :yikes: It happened to me :scream: I do not see anything entertaining or worthwhile in their music. I can't stand his voice, or his looks, his lyrics are lame, and I can't see why they are so popular. Clocks is a ripoff of UF but not as good and with stupid lyrics. Speaking of 'having dropped off the radar in the US' Coldplay may be popular here but a lot of Americans either never heard of them or dislike them (like you and me and everyone I know who's heard of them) The Gallagher brothers have a lot of personality and humor and they would be perfect.

U2Kitten said:

Uh oh :uhoh: Better watch it Coldplay is worshipped here and you will get flamed :yikes: It happened to me :scream: I do not see anything entertaining or worthwhile in their music. I can't stand his voice, or his looks, his lyrics are lame, and I can't see why they are so popular. Clocks is a ripoff of UF but not as good and with stupid lyrics. Speaking of 'having dropped off the radar in the US' Coldplay may be popular here but a lot of Americans either never heard of them or dislike them (like you and me and everyone I know who's heard of them) The Gallagher brothers have a lot of personality and humor and they would be perfect.

I agree with you, Coldplay puts me to sleep. It all sounds the same. Boring music. :yawn:

U2girl said:

Didn't the Edge have the induction speech for the Clash in the r'n'r hall of fame last year?

:shrug: If it HAS to be someone younger than them, then definitely Chris Martin/Coldplay are possible, also Radiohead/Thom Yorke.

I agree, Michael Stipe or Bruce Springsteen would be great. :yes:

Morello also was given a spotlight speech/ stage moment of a couple of minutes to talk about The Clash. The Clash like had two speeches glorifying them... it wasn't "THE" induction speech but it was an induction speech.

I like Coldplay and there bare bones sound... The lyrics are fairly straightfoward but for some reason there are shades of interesting hidden within.

Clocks & Unforgettable Fire? Don't see it. Like Clocks much better. Coldplay defintely owes a lot to U2 though.

:)

Buckland is a great Edge protege as well :)

Liam & Noel would be good and probably a little entertaining but I can also see Liam being a complete ass in a bad way (as a result taking away from U2's induction).

I would rather have Avril induct U2 instead of Clinton.

Corgan is good but he's a little off the radar as well though he is probably a bigger "fan" than Morello.

Moby makes a lot of sense to me cuz he rates Achtung as his favortie album. Satriani and Moby... Two bald guys presenting to U2....

The entire tingling piano background of Clocks reeks of UF. I thought that since the first time I heard it and didn't know what it was. How could you say that's a better song? Ever listen to UF? At least look at the lyrics of UF compared to the worthless lyrics of Clocks. His voice is so annoying it's unbearable. He also hates the US so much he doesn't want his kid raised as an American, but he wants our money! He said he was going to take a few years off and raise his family. I hope so, we'll all be spared and maybe they'll be forgotten and past their time if and when he comes back.

But this is a who's inducting thread not a Coldplay bash or praise. We'll see who it is, we don't know but I'd pick the Gallaghers.

Last edited:
I like the piano bit and the guitar is fine at the close... Clocks isn't my favorite song by any stretch of the imagination and I'm shocked that it was such a decent hit but the piano bbit is catchy as hell...

I don't really care for Unforgettable Fire (the song) and its one of the tracks that I skip... Lyrics... likeable but the song, doesn't do anything for me.

I think it's haunting, beautiful and trippy. (UF) Oh well everybody is moved by different stuff.

Everytime that someone suceeds with honest good music between all the plastic starsip acts on the radio and mtv, some people start immediately to distrust them. It happened exactly the same with u2 in the 80's and is happening now with coldplay.

Coldplay is the best new band from the last five years and, as u2 fan, i would be proud to see Chris inducting them at the r'n'r hof.

if you want something eloquently and remotely insightful call Stipe or Costello

if it has to be someone younger then from all the names I've seen in this thread I would pick Billy Corgan

Coldplay are at least 2 great albums (and IMO a world tour everyone talked about) away from the honour of getting to do the induction of a band like U2

Last edited:
bedouin fire said:
Everytime that someone suceeds with honest good music between all the plastic starsip acts on the radio and mtv, some people start immediately to distrust them. It happened exactly the same with u2 in the 80's and is happening now with coldplay.

That's not it with me, it's not that I don't trust them. I just don't like them. I never did.

Salome said:

Coldplay are at least 2 great albums (and IMO a world tour everyone talked about) away from the honour of getting to do the induction of a band like U2

EXACTLY.

Thank you.

Corgan, Vedder, Dave Grohl?....
anyone from that era would do.

I REALLY like the Shirley Manson idea. Bout time to have a female rocker get in on this boys club!

bedouin fire said:

You gotta be kidding me right? That's the case just because there are people out there that don?t like the same bands that you do? I don't like Coldplay because I don't like their music not because I'm conspiring against what others think is great music. There are different people here with different tastes, what puts me into hibernation from Coldplay can make you happy like crazy and that's it.

Brian Eno should do it
It's like having a member of the band do it

(although I'd kill to see Noel and Liam do it)

wolfeden said:

EXACTLY.

Thank you.

Corgan, Vedder, Dave Grohl?....
anyone from that era would do.

I REALLY like the Shirley Manson idea. Bout time to have a female rocker get in on this boys club!

if you're so insistant that coldplay needs another 2 great albums in order to have the humbling honor of giving a speech about why u2 is great (which i think anyone who's a fan is qualified to do no matter how many records they've sold), why would then be so gung ho over those four? what has billy corgan or shirley manson done "mainstream" in the past 5 years? same with vedder, who i love, but is baisicly under the radar these days. the only one who's still putting up hits on a consistant basis is grohl, but i've never really heard him as a u2 butt boy. if you read bill flannigan's book, he actually made the comment of "we'll never be like u2," blasting them for playing huge arenas and stadiums and not being intimate with their fans and being too mainstream blah blah blah (something he's become with foo fighters... but so what, i like 'em anyway).

myself... i wouldn't care if they got friggin carson daily to induct them. he's an admitted u2 nut, despite the thought that he's a pop guy because he hosts TRL. the guy set his vacation dates for TRL in 2001 around the Slane concerts. he might even be on these boards, who knows. but if he was picked, people would be outraged because he's on a show that plays britney spears records.

bottom line... no matter who they pick, there will be people who are upset. i don't really care who they pick, as long as it's someone who can give a damn good speech... 'cause how the hell do you give a speech for a band that features the king of all induction speeches, bono? that's like interviewing walter chronkite... you don't top the master.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom