Who should induct U2 to The Rock N? Roll Hall Of Fame?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheBrazilianFly

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I just read the Chris Martin essay on U2 and I thought it was okay but a little weak so I hope he is not the one to induct them. It would be cool if they ask for Billy Corgan or Tom Morello, their both big U2 fans last I heard and smart people, they would do a good job. But actually I think they should ask me to induct U2 into the Rock N? Roll Hall Of Fame? :wink: yeah, I would kick major ass. :cool: But who do you think should induct them?

same question is going, over on @U2's forum...
I really don't think Coldplay is all that and a bag of chips and I don't think Chris Martin deserves the honor, quite frankly.

I like the idea of Stipe a lot.
Springsteen could return the favor, or Little Steven....
BB King.....
Bob Dylan.....!!! But he'd never do it.
Peter Garrett would be a nice touch, or Tim Farris of INXS..
Willie Nelson...
Chris Tucker? Yeah an actor-comedian, but still....

<sarcasm>Henry Rollins!</sarcasm>

wolfeden said:
same question is going, over on @U2's forum...
I really don't think Coldplay is all that and a bag of chips and I don't think Chris Martin deserves the honor, quite frankly.

I like the idea of Stipe a lot.
Springsteen could return the favor, or Little Steven....
BB King.....
Bob Dylan.....!!! But he'd never do it.
Peter Garrett would be a nice touch, or Tim Farris of INXS..
Willie Nelson...
Chris Tucker? Yeah an actor-comedian, but still....

<sarcasm>Henry Rollins!</sarcasm>

I think it's usually someone younger than the band and more influenced by them that makes the introduction. Of course I would love to see Springsteen, B.B. King or Mick Jagger inductiong U2 but that would never happen.... I don't know why Bob Dylan would ever induct U2, he made more history and influenced more people than U2 and he's around a lot longer, it would be great however. Let's s think about bands that came out around the same time U2 came out or that are influenced by them. Even tough I?m not a big R.E.M. fan Stipe would not be a bad idea at all, plus he?s a friend of them so that would work well.

Last edited:
I'd love it if either Bruce Springsteen or Elvis Costello did the honors. I could certainly see Michael Stipe, Sting, Billy Corgan, Moby, Tom Morello or Chris Martin doing it too. In fact, I have a funny feeling it is going to be Chris Martin, just because he's the youngest of all those possibilities. I'm sure the organizers want to have younger stars do the inducting whenever possible to get more younger people to tune it when it is shown on VH1. He wouldn't be my first choice, but I could live with it.

First thoughts, without looking at anyone else's picks:

Zack De La Rocha

Bruce Springsteen

Jon Bon Jovi

Stipe, REM...the perfect choice

theyll be in line for HOF much much sooner than coldplay/ martin, however martin would be the next popular logical choice for vh1 execs-ratings

itd be interesting to know if the inductees themselves get to choose the inductor(s). if so, i would go as far as to dream up a scenario that if u2 really is recording with REM soon in canada (as some other threads have noted) that U2 would possibly be inclined to ask them to have the honor

Tom Morello had a soso induction related- speech (good on passion though) for the Clash. Even though he might be a fan I can't see him being that huge a fan of U2 outside of the War era for some reason.

:)

If Tom Morello is a choice than I would put Joe Satriani ahead of Morello in guitar god fans...

:)

Chris Martin to me seems like the likely choice but I dunno...

Elvis Costello would be cool but he's already inducted and older so probably unlikely...

It has to be like an up and coming legend yet a super fan or a legend that hasn't been inducted yet, right?

Flying FuManchu said:
Tom Morello had a soso induction related- speech (good on passion though) for the Clash. Even though he might be a fan I can't see him being that huge a fan of U2 outside of the War era for some reason.

Didn't the Edge have the induction speech for the Clash in the r'n'r hall of fame last year?

:shrug: If it HAS to be someone younger than them, then definitely Chris Martin/Coldplay are possible, also Radiohead/Thom Yorke.

I agree, Michael Stipe or Bruce Springsteen would be great. :yes:

ZigZag said:
Macphisto

YES! Now that would be exciting! Forget everyone else, let MacPhisto have the honours. We all know just how good his speeches - and phone calls! - are.

Thom Yorke or Martin would be good choices. It's almost always a YOUNGER person who was influenced by the band, not a contemporary like Stipe or an older person like Dylan.

frame it like this though...
if Bono was the 'younger, and influenced by' to Springsteen...

look at the caliber there. Chris Martin doesn't BEGIN to approach that kind of contrast.

But who does?

ED KOWALCZYK of LIVE!

Or hell, while we're talking about Eds, what about Vedder?

Leeloo said:
Thom Yorke or Martin would be good choices. It's almost always a YOUNGER person who was influenced by the band, not a contemporary like Stipe or an older person like Dylan.

Exactly! No older people would induct U2 I mean why in the hell Paul Mccartney, Bob Dyaln or Bruce Springsteen would ever induct U2? It makes no sense since THEY are the ones who influenced U2, not the other way around. But I think it can be a contemporary like Stipe.

I think U2 should actually wake up their website and hold a fan induction speech contest. They choose the best one and the fan gets to induct the group. To me they've always been about the fans, I think it'd be a nice touch.

Never gonna happen, but it'd still be cool.

I think Avril Lavigne would be a good choice, with her punk roots just like how U2 had their roots with the Ramones and the Clash. I'd rather have unique artists who havea similar genesis as U2 induct them, rather than have wannabe-U2-clones-who-never-quite-made-it like Stipe or Yorke to do it. Another good choice would be Sean Lennon and Lisa Marie Pressly - on behalf of their fathers whose songwriting (Lennon) and showmanship (Elvis) U2 have greatly surpassed.

Cheers,

J

If anyone would like to write a feature essay on this to be published on Interference.com, please contact me. :)

I think Bono's speech for Marley and Sinatra were some of the most intriguing speeches I've ever seen. I don't think Chris Martin is a genius with words or wit, I like Coldplay I just don't think he has what it takes.

I think it should be someone influenced by or a contemporary.

I agree that the best contemporary would be Stipe. Their careers seemed to go along the same path of each others for quite awhile, they fed off each for awhile, they are both fans and friends of each other. Stipe is a great public speaker who's written some great speeches.

As for someone influenced by I'd say Vedder, Cogan, or maybe even Shirley Manson, I think they'd all give a pretty interesting speech.

jick said:
I think Avril Lavigne would be a good choice, with her punk roots just like how U2 had their roots with the Ramones and the Clash. I'd rather have unique artists who havea similar genesis as U2 induct them, rather than have wannabe-U2-clones-who-never-quite-made-it like Stipe or Yorke to do it. Another good choice would be Sean Lennon and Lisa Marie Pressly - on behalf of their fathers whose songwriting (Lennon) and showmanship (Elvis) U2 have greatly surpassed.

Cheers,

J

Avril Lavigne = :no:

Sean Lennon = :yikes:
Lisa Marie Presley = :drool:

But I doubt those are big U2 fans.

I'd love it to be Thom Yorke but he is way too cynical to do it.

Eddie Vedder would write a great speech I'm sure, but I don't think the influence is that great on him.

Chris Martin's article was pretty lame, and I didn't like when he said "I love the fact that they're friends more than anything". Why? Because you and your band don't get along?

eh...

They should just let Bono do it himself:D

Back
Top Bottom