Who buys Vertigo via internet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phommel

Refugee
The new single Vertigo can only be bought via internet at the moment. iTunes, but in the Netherlands also via download.nl or frs.nl

But why should you do that? You can find the mp3 on Soulseek, KaZaA or the links that were posted here before... I already have the mp3 on my computer and I will buy album and maybe the single in November. I think it's 'stupid' to spend your money on an mp3 that's already available everywhere on the net.

What do you think?

I already had the Valencia MP3, but I still purchased the single from iTunes yesterday... I will fully support the band for the work they produce. They deserve to profit from their work, which is why I purchased the legal download. :)

well, i'll be buying the album probably in more than one format, the singles, and at least 4 tickets for their tour.

i don't think they'd be too pissed that i'm listening to Vertigo for free.

erised said:
I already had the Valencia MP3, but I still purchased the single from iTunes yesterday... I will fully support the band for the work they produce. They deserve to profit from their work, which is why I purchased the legal download. :)
Amen! And because it was really painful to see the boys behind "Bowling For Soup" on the iTunes most popular downloads list.:wink:

erised said:

... Now I feel really guilty. I was just in denial about it the past few days. I guess I'm going to have pay a visit to iTunes as soon as I get home.

I downloaded the Valencia single the first day, but then went to iTunes to download the official version.

It really isn't about the fact that the band needs our money, but there needs to be tangible evidence that this single is going to be huge, and it is my part of doing it.

There are two main reasons for doing this.

1)Radio programmers will see the popluarity of the single on iTunes, and that will only help to get this song out there and heard by all!
2)More than just being about the large acts like U2, it's about the bigger picture of music on the internet for dowload as a whole. Of course there is going to be no escaping the fact that any music you are going to want will be online, but if we just take it, in the end it is the artist that is being hurt. I'm not worried about the large bands (U2, Metallica, Brittney, etc.), but where this really has an impact is on the smaller artists that really do depend on the sales of their music. For me, downloading has always been a way to hear the music before I purchase it, and if it is something that I like, I'll buy the CD or download if from iTunes. We need to support artists, and paying for taking what they have created is something that I can do.

I already planned to buy the single at a store once I land in my new town. As much as I love the music, I also love to hold the disc sleeve in my hand, read the lyrics, see what the designer came up with. :)

Chile said:
I already planned to buy the single at a store once I land in my new town. As much as I love the music, I also love to hold the disc sleeve in my hand, read the lyrics, see what the designer came up with. :)

I agree. I downloaded the single but will purchase the single as well as CD when they come out. I love to see the artwork and read the liner notes, etc, all the stuff you can't get with just the download!

I really hate it that U2 started a single on the radio and I have to wait a very long time beore I can buy the single. Its SO good!! I downloades it from Valencia but I want the clean cut version....so I bought it. And yes, its ok, credits for who worked for it, thats honest!

I agree with Mikal also. If you buy a lot of versions it should be ok to get a free mp3. I buy different versions of all the stuff u2 makes and really hoping for a LP. The Edge talks about LP so I really hope so. I only miss one LP I think.

Love from Holland
Dutchfan

KaZaA I haven't had any luck on Kaaza, just a bunch of partial songs and fakes. I may wait for the CD single or buy it when I get home. I would rather download since I know I am going to get better quality.

chelle00 said:

I agree. I downloaded the single but will purchase the single as well as CD when they come out. I love to see the artwork and read the liner notes, etc, all the stuff you can't get with just the download!

I am with you on that one

i got the valencia vresion but will prob buy the itunes one in the next day or two as well.

i also plan on buying every version of the sinlge and album that i can get my hands on (i'm startign to collect and the amount of back-tracking i have to do to try catch up... i wont let another single pass me by ever again i swear!) and then theres the numerous conerts i have to go to to make up for having only been to one

i think buying the download is just a case of me showing my support, not in a financial way but in a lets get this song to the top of the charts kinda way

Just as everyone here, I also had access to the illegally downloaded version. I chose to buy it from iTunes last night because I feel that it is moral responsible to do so. Hey, it's only $1 (US)! Why not pay the freakin' dollar and have a clear conscious about not ripping off the band?

I am not sure how I feel about the whole thing, to be honest. It's more gray than balck and white. Before the world of the compact disc and internet, I would tape songs off the radio. That was free. Is it the same thing? I don't know. But for only one dollar I think I'll play it safe and support the band for creating something I love (whether they need the money or not.:wink:)

Hey...if I had an iPod I would definetly be willing to pay the $1. I don't have one. I am NOT going to illegally download the LP....I want to be able to hold it in my hands and look at the liner notes and most of all insure U2's place back at #1 on the charts. Plus, as I said earlier I am already working my hours so I can afford to go to several shows this upcoming tour.....I think it would more than balance out.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I am not knocking you. I was simply saying that it was for my own peace of mind. Like I said, it's not a black and white issue to me yet. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what's right and wrong. You know? I'm not passing judgment on anyone.

I have the Valencia Vertigo on my comp at work and at home. It only stays on the comp. I plan on purchasing the cd singles (as I always have) for all their commercial releases and play those in my stereos and everywhere I go. I will be purchasing the BIG limited edition album package from my home country and an import album cd (depending on bonus tracks that are not available in home country). If this is a masterpiece, which I have a feeling it will be, I will also purchase the LP and hang it on the wall. :yes:

They get lots of my money and I don't mind it one bit. The concert and merchandise purchases are another story altogether.

Chile said:
As much as I love the music, I also love to hold the disc sleeve in my hand, read the lyrics, see what the designer came up with. :)

Exactly! You just can't beat holding something in your hands that you can see and enjoy from a visual standpoint.

Last edited:
phommel said:

But why should you do that?
What do you think?

To show my support and appreciation to the band, and to help the single climb up the iTunes charts. :hyper: I will definitely not buy the entire album via iTunes, as I'd rather have the actual media if I'm going to be paying near full price anyway. :huh: But it's just a dollar so why not.

I respect other's decisions here though. I think it's safe to say that most everyone here gives the band plenty of cash. :wink:

And that's the key to the music industry competing with all of this internet mumbo-jumbo. Give the fans something that they can't get anywhere else. Give them something worth paying for.

iTunes??
yeah right...:madspit:
I don´t give a damn about the music industry and its charts, neither U2 caught on it.

I was referring to Roland's post about album art, extras, dvd, holding it in your hands, etc. being the key to getting people to purchase the album... not iTunes. iTunes is just a way to give me a legal quick fix for a mere $1. And you can bet that the band holding out on releasing the single for a month and a half is helping drive the sales on iTunes. If they came out with that single in store right now, I would have never purchased from iTunes. I am sure that's the whole point. Apple probably gave them big bucks to delay that release and give them time to sell it first.

The landscape of the recording industry is changing, and being forced to change, with internet downloading taking off. Things are just starting to take shape. It will be interesting to watch what happens.

Roland of Gilead said:
I will be purchasing the BIG limited edition album package

WOAH! I thought I had been following all the news, but this I don't remember!
What limited edition package??

iacrobat said:

WOAH! I thought I had been following all the news, but this I don't remember!
What limited edition package??

CD/DVD/ and BOOK!

:yes:

People might be mistaken that the "deluxe version" (CD/DVD) is the BIG one.

For years, I said that the RIAA was fighting the wrong battle. That is, instead of fighting to have file sharing networks closed or now suing individuals, they should join the .mp3 revolution and sell songs online. Finally this is happening.

People downloaded as they did not want to spend $18 on a CD for just one song and there was no other way to get just one song (via CD single as often CD singles weren't available, especially for older music). This is why the file sharing networks boomed. People were able to get select songs at near CD quality. The unfortunate part is that it was illegal - but there was no alternative (unless one wanted to spend all of his/her $$ on full album CDs). I inherently believe that people do not want to steal - they would pay if they could, but they had no choice.

With the advent if iTunes, we now have the option of legally obtaining songs. We no longer are stealing. Granted, U2 can afford it - but that's not really the point. It is stealing. I will admit, I've downloaded just like everyone. But given the choice, I will pay for the real thing. And to prove this, I did buy the song from iTunes even though I had the Valencia version. I downloaded the Valencia version as it was the only one available at the time, but as soon as the legal version became available, I bought it. I feel this is the right thing to do.

By the way, one doesn't need to have an iPod to play iTunes. They do play on one's computer and can be burned to CD.

Now, I realize iTunes doesn't exist in all countries - for some of you the Valencia version may be all that's available. But for the rest, I do recommend being legit. :wink:

mikal said:
well, i'll be buying the album probably in more than one format, the singles, and at least 4 tickets for their tour.

i don't think they'd be too pissed that i'm listening to Vertigo for free.

I agree with you. I am going to buy some singles, the album and dvd and one or more concert tickets, maybe a concert T-shirt, etc...I am sure that this will be much more than 100 euros. So I don't feel bad I got Vertigo for free. I don't feel any moral responsibility to pay for the mp3. And I do have a clear conscious about not ripping off the band.
I don't know why people buy it, just to get it high in the charts. I have to like a song and I don't care what the mass likes or what it does in a chart. I also think a real artist (like U2 is) should not make music just for high chart ratings, they should make music they realy want to make. And I think they do! Vertigo ROCKS!!!

phommel said:

I agree with you. I am going to buy some singles, the album and dvd and one or more concert tickets, maybe a concert T-shirt, etc...I am sure that this will be much more than 100 euros. So I don't feel bad I got Vertigo for free. I don't feel any moral responsibility to pay for the mp3. And I do have a clear conscious about not ripping off the band.
I don't know why people buy it, just to get it high in the charts. I have to like a song and I don't care what the mass likes or what it does in a chart. I also think a real artist (like U2 is) should not make music just for high chart ratings, they should make music they realy want to make. And I think they do! Vertigo ROCKS!!!

It's not about "ripping off the band" - it's the fact that it is illegal. That's it and that's all. It's like saying "well, I don't have any moral problems about speeding" and then complaining when you get a ticket.

iTunes has made it available - for cheap - to get a song LEGALLY. If you wish to continue downloading ILLEGALLY, that's fine. But don't complain if you eventually get caught.

We all do illegal things sometimes, don't you think?

- like ignoring red traffic light with your bicycle
- blowing a sticky
- making a photo at a concert
- downloading mp3's

Do you think people get caught? Don't think so....That's a hell of a job to catch all people!

Back
Top Bottom