Which staples should be dropped?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What setlist staple songs should be dropped?

• Total voters
I voted out:
"Pride"-I could care less. It sounded alright during Vertigo tour but it won't hurt me if they don't play it.
"BTBS"-It's pretty good, but same as Pride it wouldn't matter if they played it. It sounded a bit tired from the Vertigo tour.
"One"-I like this song, but I just think it's a bit worn down. It needs some time off.
"Mysterious Ways"-I think this song has lost a little groove. It sounds kind of bland to me now.

As for the others.
"I Will Follow"-This is a great live rocker. I definitely want to see this on my first U2 show.
"SBS"-It's a classic and it deserves to be played every tour!
"New Year's Day"-Another classic. It's sounded great the last two tours and it seems like quite the live rocker! It needs to be kept on the setlist.
"WTSHNN"-An important part of U2's live shows, I believe that without this one the tour will not be the same.
"ISHFWILF"-I love the way this was played on the last tour. It is an important part of U2 live.
"WOWY"-Ok, I just like this song. Although it hasn't seemed as productive recently. It is a nice closer to shows.
"UTEOTW"-THIS ONE NEEDS TO STAY! It is one of the many U2 songs that really adds to a show. Especially when Edge does his solo.
"The Fly"-It has the same reasons as above^.
"Beautiful Day"-It is great at the beginning or middle of shows and is a sure staple for U2. It has yet to sound bad (at least to me). Let's face it, this one must stay!
"Elevation"-C'mon you have to like songs that rock like this one? I feel that this song, like from the Vertigo DVD, would fit nicely after Vertigo. This adds to the excitement of a U2 concert (even though I've never been to one.. YET!).

So, a majority of these songs must stay on the setlist. A lot of them define what U2 really is. I, personally, would be upset if most of these were to be dropped. Hopefully U2 will take my opinion!:wink:

1. "I Will Follow"
2. "SBS"
3. "New Year's Day"
4. "WTSHNN"
5. "ISHFWILF"
6. "WOWY"
7. "UTEOTW"
8. "The Fly"
9. "Beautiful Day"
10. "Elevation"

Even with your huge package of 'Greatest Hits' and even if you count on top of it "One" (which will be played for sure) and the more recent "Vertigo", you get 12 slots for this part of the back catalogue. Add 6-7 songs from the current album, you are at 18-19 slots covered: This leaves at least 3-4 slots for full band versions of rare/obscure songs from U2's past, tunes that are no 'Greatest Hits' in the general sense, but should be tunes, that have to be played again after years of neglection. I'd chose:

1. "The Unforgettable Fire"
2. "Exit"
3. "God Part II"
4. "Discothèque"

plus for the Spanish shows as a switch:
5. "Spanish Eyes"

I voted out:

Bullet
Pride
SBS
NYD

I wouldn't have a problem with Pride, SBS and NYD being used on a rotation basis.

Drop Bullet, the song needs a rest for a tour at least.

Replace it with Please or God Part II. :up:

I thought Streets on Vertigo was average. I don't think the flag tie in really worked all that well. But I think this staging is perfect for it. They could do the lights coming up 360 degrees around a stadium. I think that would be cool.

I love that out of 172 voters, only six people think all these songs should stay.

I want to remind you that it is a full stadium tour.
They will play Streets, Pride, One, WOWY, BD and Vertigo on every show.
SBS and NYD have, I'd say, 99% chance to be played too.

as for: IWF, ISHFWILF, BTBS, Elevation, Bad and AIWIY... everything's possible.

I think 6-7 songs from NLOTH, 3-4 songs from JT, 3-4 from AB, 1-2 from Boy/October era, 1-2 from War and UF albums, 1-2 songs from ATYCLB and HTDAAB albums, if we're lucky the rest will be from Zooropa/Pop/Passengers/or some rare b-sides

Back
Top Bottom