which band do u think sound most like U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good sound-a-likes: U2's old schoolmates, Cactus World News.

Bad sound-a-likes: The Killers, who even try to dress like early U2. I fucking HATE The Killers. They're one of the most boring, unoriginal and overrated bands to come along in a very long time. They won't even last as long as Third Eye Blind.

Shade said:
Good sound-a-likes: U2's old schoolmates, Cactus World News.

Cactus World News? That's a blast from the past if ever I heard one. I think Bono produced one of their albums?

Do Miss America said:
There was a band that came out with a one hit wonder right around Achtung Baby where even I was confused, but I can remember the name of the band. The song had something to do with rain.

I believe that was "Then Jericho", but I'm not 100%. I mentioned that one also, had a lyric along the lines of "run to me" in the chorus. I wish I could remember who/what that was

Remy Zero..... the first time I heard their first single, it took me a while to tell that it was not U2..... I don't any of their other songs, but it's very similar in term of voices.....even music.

Simple Minds too.... I saw them last summer at a small festival and when I closed my eyes, I could easily recognized some of Bono's voice in it..... same kind of voice.... unfortunately for them, not the same career since 89.....

Coldplay sounds a little bit like u2 if you take the music, but when it comes to the voice, I don't even compare the 2..... Bono's voice is so much better, a lot more variety, IMO.

Paul Young sounds just like Bono in the eighties.
Simple Minds musically and vocally.
Sugar actually sounds like them musically (on htdaab) but Bob Mould doesn't sound like Bono.

cardosino said:

Remy Zero a bit.

An old band called (I believe) then Jericho once had a "modern rock" hit in the late '80 that I'd have sworn was U2, I forget what it was called.

It would have been either Big Area or The Motive. I loved both songs - I was about 9 or 10 at the time.

andyuk said:
which band from the 80's onwards do u thinks sound or sounded most like U2? for me INXS and THE VERVE

THE VERVE?!?!?!?! (Another band I love.)

No way Jose.

Richard Ashcroft sounds nothing whatsoever like Bono,
Nick McCabe's guitar style was completely different to that of the Edge.

The only similarity I can see is during the Verve song Velvet Morning, where Ashcroft nicks the line "into the halflight" from Bad.

sallycinnamon78 said:

It would have been either Big Area or The Motive. I loved both songs - I was about 9 or 10 at the time.

I looked up their lyrics. Wasn't them. Thsi will drive me nuts now.

cardosino said:

I looked up their lyrics. Wasn't them. Thsi will drive me nuts now.

Really?! I didn't know they'd had any other hits! :( It's going to drive me bonkers too now.

sallycinnamon78 said:

Really?! I didn't know they'd had any other hits! :( It's going to drive me bonkers too now.

I'm not 100% sure it was Then Jericho.

SCDave said:
Echo and the Bunnymen

Echo___The_Bunnymen_17-08-03__02.jpg

that was my pick SCDave:up:

db9

Reamonn,

http://reamonn2.mcs-world.de/

The lead singer sounds a lot like Bono and so do many of their songs.

My sister told me about this band from Germany. I went to their website and they have a forum which allows the band to interact with fans. One thread about how they sound like U2 and one the band members wrote back "F**K you". Apparently, they are tired of people making reference to the similarity. Some good songs though.

cardosino said:

I believe that was "Then Jericho", but I'm not 100%. I mentioned that one also, had a lyric along the lines of "run to me" in the chorus. I wish I could remember who/what that was

I'll have to check it out, thanks.

financeguy said:

Cactus World News? That's a blast from the past if ever I heard one. I think Bono produced one of their albums?

He produced their first single, 'The Bridge', which was the most U2-ish song they ever wrote. Their first album, Urban Beaches (one of my all-time favorite albums), was later released by RCA. They had a follow-up album that was never officially released, called No Shelter, but there are bootleg copies floating around out there. It's not quite as good as Urban Beaches, but it's still good, and it's a shame that they never got any further with it.

I actually liked a lot of the Mother bands. In Tua Nua were a cool band, and wrote one of my favorite songs, 'Don't Fear Me Now'. (That all-female U2 cover band Exit reminds me of them, actually.) And, there was a killer B-side on another Mother single, 'Tunnel Vision', by a band called Tuesday Blue. The B-side is called 'Tell The Boys', and it's awesome. Great chorus, and one of my favorite guitar solos (though they screwed it up when they re-recorded if for their later album release). And, there was yet another Mother single I liked, called 'Independence Day' by The Painted Word. Very pretty song.

Thinking more about this thread, it occurred to me that The Cure share certain similarities with U2. And, though I am a Cure fan, I will go to my grave believing that The Cure's 'Primary' is a knock-off of 'I Will Follow' (just as 'Love Song' is a shameless knock-off of 'Under The Milky Way' by The Church). And, while their energy and songwriting and prowess as a live band are quite different from (and, I think, superior to) U2, there are similarities between U2 and some of Midnight Oils' later work. In fact, I'm continually amazed that there aren't more Midnight Oil fans among the U2 fanbase, especially U2 fans who play guitar. Jim Moginie and Martin Rotsey don't play like The Edge, but there are certain shared aesthetics in certain songs.

Does anyone know VAST?

They're a good band - their first album, Music For People, was fantastic - in their own right. They do have quite a similar sound to U2.

bearded morrison said:
Paul Young sounds just like Bono in the eighties.

I liked PaulYoung a lot when I was a kid and I can see the similarity... but Bono has always had a much stronger voice.

Last edited:
Duran Duran's "Reach Up For The...." sounded a lot like a "Beautiful Day"-ish song. However, there are no bands that come close to U2 as a band - in terms of their entire catalogue. There are just some songs you could envision U2 doing.

Last edited:
umm I once heard Chemical Brothers and thought it was U2.. don't know what that was all about.

Duran Duran is sometimes a little Pop U2-ish.

Chris Martin is a huge u2 fan..

I think Coldplay is in the same musical world with U2, but it's a wide wide world. (Besides them I don't think anyone else is there, but R.E.M.'s world is right next to it) :huh:

OK, there is a Wilco song called "I'm A Wheel." Every time Jeff Tweedy sings, "I wiiiiiiiillllllll..." I always rewind it and listen to it again! It sounds like Bono walked in and sang with them!

BluRmGrl said:

:hmm: ...interesting. First time I heard Clocks I thought it was something new from Sting.

As for the question, to my ear there's no one who sounds like U2... although INXS did seem to have a similar energy.

God INXS were bloody awful. Never ever did they sound like U2, they may have wanted to sound like U2 but never ever ever did they get anywhere close. Yuck!!!!!!

Coldplay and Pilate, in terms of the music more than the singing. Though, I must say, Pilate are more of a Coldplay copy than a U2 copy. In fact, I sometimes mistake "Into Your Hideout" for a Coldplay song.

cardosino said:

I'm not 100% sure it was Then Jericho.

Just had a thought (wow! That's 3 today so far!)... the song wouldn't be Speed Your Love To Me by Simple Minds, would it? The lyric you quoted fits quite well...

rjhbonovox said:

God INXS were bloody awful. Never ever did they sound like U2, they may have wanted to sound like U2 but never ever ever did they get anywhere close. Yuck!!!!!!

INXS were quite good and "The Stairs" could easily be a U2 song.

Back
Top Bottom