What's with U2 and Sarajevo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

discothequeLP

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I know the band has a love for Sarajevo. They wrote a song about the damn place.

Why? What's so special? I know they history behind WW2 and all, but, is that it?

Maybe because they saw it in its devastation and it touched them. Bono is like that. He also wrote a poem about it besides the song. Also, it's intriguing that the pain and problems there which date way back, and were brought out most famously and tragically in 1914 with the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand which started WW1, continue into our times with more sadness, death and destruction :| One of the scenes I will never forget is the destroyed 1984 Olympic stadium.

They were also asked to play there during Zoo TV tour but it wasn't safe enough. Bono often visited the city and talked to the people about the harsh times.

In U2 at the End of the World by Bill Flanagan U2 promised to give Sarajevo a concert on the night of July 3, 1993. They weren't able to give it then since it was still a highly dangerous place to throw a concert. That's why they waited until the Popmart tour to finally give them the concert they had promised.

It all started when American aid worker Bill Carter snuck backstage at a concert in Verona, Italy hoping to capture U2 on video offering their support for the civilians of Sarajevo dealing with the sniper war. In a few dates of the European Zoo TV tour in England, Bono allowed Bill Carter, who was fully equipped with a video camera, to get ordinary people of Sarajevo to voice their opinions on the war that beleaguered them during a handful of concerts. The motive that U2 had to broadcast the footage was on account of there not being enough media attention to those suffering in Sarajevo who needed help; especially since practically nothing was being done to provide the people of Sarajevo with food and clothing.

As for "Miss Sarajevo," one of the stories that Carter passed to U2 the same night in Verona was the surreal event that took place during a massive hurricane amidst the war -- a beauty pageant. The incident motivated Bono to push Bill Carter into making an award-winning documentary on the event titled "Miss Sarajevo." And as you know, it also inspired Bono write the song based on the event with the same title.

Last edited:
:wink: Queen b and u2kit(that's right, ur a history major right? sorry, if i am wrong, but definetly impressed me with ur history lesso!)how quickly people do forget! i , too was sad to see the O Stadium, and all those graves in the city parks! so sad...and glad it's over!

That's right, the band felt terrible about the horrible things that were going on in and around Sarajevo and wanted to help. U2Kitten is right, Bosnia has a tortured history, going back centuries (the people were originally refugees, members of a persecuted sect; it's a long story but that's why they are Muslim today). I cried when I saw the bombed out ice rink from the '84 Olympics. Ouch.:sad: :sad: :sad:

discothequeLP said:
They wrote a song about the damn place.

The "damn" place is a hell of a lot more interesting, not to mention, spawned a considerably better song than the city of Miami...

I have not been to Sarajevo in many years, but when you walked down the old part of the city (Bascarsija) it felt a lot like Istanbul in the heart of Europe. And the food was cheap and plentiful.

That Sarajevo is dead now. But it was never just a 'damn place.'

The war in former Yugoslavia really affected me more then the 1st gulf war...we sent troops to free Kuwait yet here was genocide being commited on the doorstep of Europe and we didn't step in till it was almost too late! I can never listen to Miss Sarajevo without thinking about the images we saw on the news... I can remember most people in the UK were angry about feeling hopeless about not being able to do anything about it...after all Yugoslavia did not have a vast oil supply....

Thanks forbonou2 and verte:hug: I just love history and have always been interested in it. Verte you're right, it was the ice rink that was destroyed! When I saw the scene of the blown up buildings it was shocking. You'd think people would finally learn a lesson, someday:|

Back
Top Bottom