What if U2 released BTBS live from Boston ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peter

War Child
... as a single when war begins in Iraq to make a really big statement. They could donate the money to a charity goal.
That song really rocks...

ya, but it doesnt have the ever formulaic verse-chorus-verse structure that radio demands, and i could say something else but i wont. :sexywink:

Well, it wouldn't really make much sense, since the Elevation performances had imagery concerned with gun control. You know, "America making war on itself," not on Iraq. And besides, there are certainly stronger versions of the song; the Lovetown and ZooTV performances are the most energetic and stay closer to what the song was actually written about (the U.S. in El Salvador).

It would make perfect sense.

To me Bullet the Blue Sky is not merely about 'the hills of San Salvador', it is a scathing indictment about US Foreign Policy in general, using the imagery of what Bono saw in his travels there to drive the message home.

It has been played with equal effect on every tour, because of the nature of the beast that is US foreign policy. The atrocities committed by the US didnt end in South America, and U2 realizes that.

And now we see yet another example of how US foreign policy is about to murder thousands if not millions of innocent civilians in another country, 'pelting the women and children'...

and again they will 'run...into the arms of America..'

gabrielvox said:

To me Bullet the Blue Sky is not merely about 'the hills of San Salvador', it is a scathing indictment about US Foreign Policy in general, using the imagery of what Bono saw in his travels there to drive the message home.

It has been played with equal effect on every tour, because of the nature of the beast that is US foreign policy. The atrocities committed by the US didnt end in South America, and U2 realizes that.

And now we see yet another example of how US foreign policy is about to murder thousands if not millions of innocent civilians in another country, 'pelting the women and children'...

exactly. and many would argue, that by waging war with Iraq, the U.S. *would* be making war on itself. The ground is ripe for an outbreak of anti-american hatred and more, that would only be returned to the U.S. in the end.

gabrielvox said:

Yeah, I know. I'm saying that the Elevation performances specifically change the theme from U.S. foreign policy to gun control. So, no, it wouldn't make "perfect sense."
Originally posted by elfyx
exactly. and many would argue, that by waging war with Iraq, the U.S. *would* be making war on itself..
Not in nearly the same sense. In Boston, Bono told us that more people will die from hand guns in the next however many years than died in Vietnam. What does this have to do with Iraq or even with what the song was originally written about?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom