What do U2 have to say to the unemployed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
I think it's a reasonable question, with unemployment rates trending upwards and set to burst through the 10% mark in many countries.

Much of U2's earlier (and, let's face it, better) material - songs like Bad, Running to Stand Still, Silver and Gold, Red Hill Mining Town - and many more - spoke to the dispossessed and marginalized.

But U2 have changed, and it's hard to see what a gang of multimillionaires and property developers can possibly have to say to the dispossessed and marginalised.

Back in the mid '80's, U2 were heavily involved in the organisation of a concert called 'Self-Aid' in Ireland, aimed at generating awareness of the plight of the unemployed and Bono even sat briefly in a committee put together by the then Irish Prime Minister Garret Fitzgerald. While the project was, arguably, misconceived, I think most people viewed it as a genuine and well intentioned gesture.

I doubt if they'd try to do the same thing now, but if they did, I reckon it would be treated as a rather tasteless joke.

How can fat Bono possibly think he's relevant any more?

What does U2 say to the unemployed?

"$250 a ticket please".

:wink:

sorry, that's just wrong, I know.

I don't know dude....maybe some of those in dire straits can listen to their music (except Boots:wink:) and get some inspiration, or at least some enjoyment.
It aint's up to U2 to solve the unemployment crisis....

maybe they can hire some people to wax Adam's shoe's....probably 100 people on this board would do it for free.

I believe they have mentioned that they truly appreciate their fans for all support during these hard times. I do not recall where I heard them state this, but they understand that attending these show will mean making some financial sacrifices for some.
Btw, the last line of you opening post, lost me. It was a good entry ....until that.
:twocents:

Bono to the unemployed: "All hail the iron unclenched fist of capitalism. Ayn Rand says that you deserve to be poor, and we deserve to be rich. And Ayn Rand's never wrong."

lesko.jpg

What does he have to say to the unemployed?

financeguy, wouldn't you agree that the massive labor force involved in creating/managing the tour might benefit the global economy in a small way, though? It is impossible to escape from an economic crisis in a capitalistic society without someone, somewhere down the line, taking a risk and spending money when they're supposed to save and avoid buying anything because the media says so, no?

financeguy, wouldn't you agree that the massive labor force involved in creating/managing the tour might benefit the global economy in a small way, though? It is impossible to escape from an economic crisis in a capitalistic society without someone, somewhere down the line, taking a risk and spending money when they're supposed to save and avoid buying anything because the media says so, no?

Yes, the tour is a net benefit to the economy. However, the issue that I am highlighting is relevance. I am thinking, why does U2 not write songs like the ones I have listed any more?

I am thinking, why does U2 not write songs like the ones I have listed any more?

Perhaps because they have already written them, and just writing the same thing over and over doesn't help anyone? The songs you highlighted haven't gone away, so they don't need to be made again.

However, the issue that I am highlighting is relevance. I am thinking, why does U2 not write songs like the ones I have listed any more?

So which is it a problem with U2 or Bono?

Writers change, but I think MOS and Cedars are very much a song that speaks to the working, dispossessed, and marginalized... even boots to an extent.

But for you to accept that you would have to stop hating, so this probably won't happen.

Should they be saying "pick up a guitar and get creative?"

Seriously, don't peddle your "00's U2 sucks" agenda under the guise of blaming them for the GFC.

Crumbs is about hardship too.

B's answer to the question re them offshoring to tax havens was gold. "You're an idiot if you don't treat it like a business. That's why you're able to make more music, reach more people."

The point of music isn't to offer physical and tangible solutions to people's problems. It's about offering inspiration and spiritual motivation through sound.

The second you assume music does any more than that, is the second you have become blinded by your own agenda's and are criticising for the sake of having a big blub about it.

Grow a pair and stop blaming people.

Should they be saying "pick up a guitar and get creative?"

Seriously, don't peddle your "00's U2 sucks" agenda under the guise of blaming them for the GFC.

Crumbs is about hardship too.

B's answer to the question re them offshoring to tax havens was gold. "You're an idiot if you don't treat it like a business. That's why you're able to make more music, reach more people."

The point of music isn't to offer physical and tangible solutions to people's problems. It's about offering inspiration and spiritual motivation through sound.

The second you assume music does any more than that, is the second you have become blinded by your own agenda's and are criticising for the sake of having a big blub about it.

Grow a pair and stop blaming people.

i really like this post.

So which is it a problem with U2 or Bono?

Writers change, but I think MOS and Cedars are very much a song that speaks to the working, dispossessed, and marginalized... even boots to an extent.

Cedars is a song written from the perspective of a US soldier serving in Iraq, right? While it could be said that some US military personel are from underprivileged backgrounds, there was a time when U2 wrote songs from the perspective of the colonised, not the colonists (e.g., Bullet the Blue Sky, Mothers of the Disappeared). And unfortunately in the Middle East, the US is the colonist/imperialist, as I think you would agree, as I'm pretty sure based on your political perspective from your FYM posts you were not in favour of the invastion. Your point would make more sense if Cedars was written from the point of view of an Iraqi civilian - but, judging from the lyrics, it is not.

I am not very familiar with the others songs you mentioned. I will try to check them out.

But for you to accept that you would have to stop hating, so this probably won't happen.

I don't hate, dude. I call it as I see it.

Perhaps because they have already written them, and just writing the same thing over and over doesn't help anyone? The songs you highlighted haven't gone away, so they don't need to be made again.

Exactly...and they still perform them...which could be argued means even more in terms of connecting with the group of people you're talking about.

Brooce does though, to name but one example.

Brooce does though, to name but one example.

You are ignoring Crumbs From Your Table.

You are also ignoring the fact that you don't have to write lyrics about people being poor to help those who are poor. Beautiful Day helps a shitload of people.

Also, since when does writing songs about people being poor actually help anyone? It depresses a whole lot of people, but I can't recall a story of anyone ever saying the pulled themselves off the mat because Bono sang about a shanty town in South Africa

Right, and Brooce is way more relevant than U2 these days.

Every day I die again, and again I'm reborn
Every day I have to find the courage
To walk out into the street
With arms out
Got a love you can't defeat
Neither down or out
There's nothing you have that I need

Back
Top Bottom