What do ATYCLB-haters think of E-Storm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
martha said:

I don't have to like every single thing the band outs out. I can still be a huge fan and be disappointed in the new single. :tsk:

clap.gif

i love electrical storm, i dislike atyclb for a u2 record. compare to almost anything else out there, its still better.

on a side note, if i ever see samantha puff, im going to push her down the stairs.

is that appropriate, or does it help this conversation, topic, thread whatever, at all? no. do i care? no.

Worst Lyrics - ATYCLB

I think Electrical Storm is better than most songs from ATYCLB. The main reason is the lyrics. Okay I know it has the truck line but even that line is nothing compared to the horrible...

A mole
Digging in a hole
Digging up my soul now
Going down, excavation

And I know it aches
How your heart it breaks

The last of the rock stars
When hip hop drove the big cars
In the time when new media
Was the big idea

Wild Honey in its entirety - cheesy pop fluff :mad:

Hot as a hair dryer in your face

They got the airport, city hall
Asphalt, asphalt
They even got the police

She carries a world on her hips
No champagne flute for her lips
No twirls or skips
Between her fingertips

Okay, before you people banish me to hell, I'd like to say I like everything about ATYCLB except for the simplistic and often bad lyrics.

I dont think it rocks any less necessarily compared to other albums.

And I disagree with the post that says, it's only people who started listening to U2 from 1997's Pop that dont like ATYCLB. I've been into the band since Achtung, their greatest album ever and I cant shake off the fact that ATYCLB is mediocre, not bad but mediocre. :|

Bono's shades said:
I wouldn't call myself an ATYCLB hater, although I think it's a bit overrated. It's a nice album with some lovely moments, and the songs are better than what you normally hear on radio stations or VH1, but it doesn't thrill me the way JT, AB, UF or War do. That being said, I absolutely love Electrical Storm. It may not be a hard-rocking song, which is kind of what I was hoping for, but there is just something magical about it. I can't get it out of my head and I don't want to! I guess I like it so much because it is darker and more atmospheric and less "poppy" than the ATYCLB songs. I'm not sure if U2 is signalling a change in direction with ES or not, but if they are I'm all for it.

wow, my thoughts exactly! I'm not a atyclb hater but it is still one of my least favorite of their albums. I really love about half the album and think that the other half is kind of boring. I LOVE electrical storm. I'm not really an 80s or 90s u2 fan I like both decades pretty equally. I don't think atyclb was sellout or too poppy, it's just wasn't relaly my thing i guess.

I wouldn't call myself an ATYCLB hater, although I think it's a bit overrated. It's a nice album with some lovely moments, and the songs are better than what you normally hear on radio stations or VH1, but it doesn't thrill me the way JT, AB, UF or War do. That being said, I absolutely love Electrical Storm. It may not be a hard-rocking song, which is kind of what I was hoping for, but there is just something magical about it. I can't get it out of my head and I don't want to! I guess I like it so much because it is darker and more atmospheric and less "poppy" than the ATYCLB songs. I'm not sure if U2 is signalling a change in direction with ES or not, but if they are I'm all for it.

Exactly! :yes: Totally agree! (with emphasis on mediocre lyrics on ATYCLB)

ATYCLB is one of my least favourite U2 albums, and I love Electrical Storm. I hope all their new stuff compares with it!

I have to say, I'm surprised to read a lot of these posts. I'm doubly surprised at the person who referred to the lyrics on ATYCLB as "mediocre". What constitutes a good lyric to you?

Additionally, I find it interesting that so many of you agreed to the point that U2 was going after a specific demographic - instead of thinking they wrote the album they wanted to write. Do you really think their creative talents are so contrived as to target an album to VH1?

I've been a U2 fan fo a lot of years, and I've been psyched about every turn they've made.

spittingkitty said:
I have to say, I'm surprised to read a lot of these posts. I'm doubly surprised at the person who referred to the lyrics on ATYCLB as "mediocre". What constitutes a good lyric to you?

Additionally, I find it interesting that so many of you agreed to the point that U2 was going after a specific demographic - instead of thinking they wrote the album they wanted to write. Do you really think their creative talents are so contrived as to target an album to VH1?

I've been a U2 fan fo a lot of years, and I've been psyched about every turn they've made.

I completely agree!

I would also like to agree with spittingkitty's post

I would replace "surprised" and "interesting" with "strange" and "depressing" though

Back
Top Bottom