what did Bono's father think of him being a big rock star?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
What was Bono's fathers thoughts about his son being the biggest rock star in the world...the fame, the fortune, the tours, did he ever say anything publicly and how many shows was he at? I already know that whole Bono's father gives him the middle finger story.

I know it's not answering your question, but I thought a couple of pics of Bono and Bob would be cool here... :wink:
bono-dad2.jpg

Some antedotes:

When B shined the light on his dad at a show he gave him the finger.

Bono had asked his dad what he had thought of a performance of I think it was the JT, and his father had told him it was very professional.:drool:

He didn't have the greatest relationship with his dad but, in the end made peace with it and him and realized the great qualities he had gotten from him and appreciated him a little more.

When his father was dying B would fly to the hospital a every chance he could get and read his father the Bible and his father would respond like why are you reading me that :censored:

If I remember correctly, his fathers last words were an explicitive.

The book from Mishka Assayas has alot of his dad in it.

Here's a quote from the new U2 By U2 Book, out later this month:
(I already have this book:D )

Paul McGuinness: "Bono's relationship with his father was complicated and never easy. They were very alike. Although he would never say it, I think his father was enormously proud of Bono.
I don't know why he couldn't tell him."

There are many other sad and revealing comments in this vein. If I have time tomorrow, I'll type up more.

It's a great book.

Here's a comment from Larry Mullen Jr.:

"I was very fond of Bob. He had a dry sense of humour and he liked to laugh. When the opportunities arose, I would sit with him and chat and have a drink. He was a very Dublin man, a tough nut, a real working class Irishman. He loved drama and the opera. In the last five years of his life he became quite dandy. He started to wear cravats with his shirts. He was very dapper, with a real sense of pride in himself. Having heard all the stories of life in the Hewson household, when you saw the two of them together it was kind of funny. He always saw Bono as his kid. He didn't see the rock star. It was like, 'He's my son, he deserves a clip around the ear.' That's the way he behaved around Bono. And although he may not have said it to Bono, he took real pride in what the band were doing. But he also really enjoyed sticking the boot in, just because he could, with a snigger. I enjoyed that about him and I miss his humour."

That tells you as much about Mullen as it does about the Hewsons.

Jeannieco said:
Is that picture of them with their fathers for real? I can't tell...:reject:
That is awesome if it is.... Is there a story to go with that photo?

as LemonGrrrl said, it is real and in the book U2 & i. And to add a bit to that Anton Corbin says in the book that the pics were taken on a quiet afternoon in Dublin. (1999) He dressed them all alike.
"i let the photos just speak for themselves, only to say that the shoot was a very moving experience for me. i can only imagine what it must do to the band looking at these photos."

biff said:

"I was very fond of Bob. He had a dry sense of humour and he liked to laugh. When the opportunities arose, I would sit with him and chat and have a drink. He was a very Dublin man, a tough nut, a real working class Irishman. He loved drama and the opera. In the last five years of his life he became quite dandy. He started to wear cravats with his shirts. He was very dapper, with a real sense of pride in himself. Having heard all the stories of life in the Hewson household, when you saw the two of them together it was kind of funny. He always saw Bono as his kid. He didn't see the rock star. It was like, 'He's my son, he deserves a clip around the ear.' That's the way he behaved around Bono. And although he may not have said it to Bono, he took real pride in what the band were doing. But he also really enjoyed sticking the boot in, just because he could, with a snigger. I enjoyed that about him and I miss his humour."

Not trying to quote myself....

This is also from the new book, U2 By U2. I forgot to mention that.

biff said:

:ohmy: Wauh, biff, thanks a million, what a great quote - can't wait to get my hands on that book!!! :D

On a different note, I stilll think it's quite "scary" how much the guys and their dads actually look alike! :yes:

I remember a Bono quote saying "he thought were were getting pretty good around Rattle and Hum. When love comes to town was a bit of a favourite."

That picture of the dads and sons is just awsome.

I could understand fully the type of relationship Bono had with his dad. We actually have so much in common when it comes to that, except mine is with my Mom. SYCMIOYO thank god he wrote that song.

I totally can relate to that, since I have had quite a difficult relationship with my father as well. It only got better in recent years because I don't have much contact with my family, I have my own life, job, friends, everything. I am the total opposite of my father, and of my brother as well. The only thing we have in common is that the three of us are extremely hard-headed and stubborn, guess that's why we don't get along well over a longer period of time.
Our relationship has improved compared to when I was younger, it's a process of maturing I suppose, but I have accepted that we will never be close.
Guess you just have to find a way to deal with things like that, accept that you cannot change it anymore and find a way to handle it as good as possible, unless you want to be bothered by it for the rest of your life.
And I guess that's what B had to do as well. I can so totally relate to "A house doesn't make a home", because this is exactly how I felt most of my life, especially when I was still living at home and even now at the very few occasions when I go there for a visit.

How about this start in life:

My mother was a single mom in the late 60's my real dad left because she said he didn't want any kids. She remarried 8 years later gave me a brother who I adore, and a terrific new dad but....

all I ever heard in my head was, he didn't want you and if abortion were legal you wouldn't be here.

We are totally opposite in every which way!

:hug: last unicorn and JCOSTER

Bono's facial expressions in the photos with his father are very revealing, I think.

Merc said:

:
On a different note, I stilll think it's quite "scary" how much the guys and their dads actually look alike! :yes:

That's exactly why I asked if that picture was real... it looks like somebody just aged each band member to look like an older version of themselves. Wow, they all look so much like their fathers... that's really cool! :)

JCOSTER said:
How about this start in life:

My mother was a single mom in the late 60's my real dad left because she said he didn't want any kids. She remarried 8 years later gave me a brother who I adore, and a terrific new dad but....

all I ever heard in my head was, he didn't want you and if abortion were legal you wouldn't be here.

We are totally opposite in every which way!

WOW, your mom sounds kinda like mine.

Hidy said:

WOW, your mom sounds kinda like mine.

Theres more out there in the world?
I just hope in someways I am a better mom, and I also know the kind of strengths the situation gave me like Bono knows. I think thats why I loved the music and connected so early on with him and u2.

:hug: for Hidy

My father died in 2002. He went with me to my first U2 concert on the 3rd leg of the Elevation Tour. All he said the whole time was "What the hell is going on??" (And he wasn't old either :lol:)
He did say later on that he was so impressed that everyone in the audience knew the words to every song, the guitar was instantly recognizable, and there was a palpable energy throughout the room.

Like Mr. Hewson, my dad was of Irish descent, he was cynical (but not to the extent that Bono's father was), and *loved* the opera. I did not have a difficult relationship with him, but SYCMIOYO is just as meaningful to me anyway. I got a tingly feeling when Bono would sing the opera part in Miss Sarajevo, because I knew if I had dragged my dad there he would have enjoyed that so much.

JCOSTER said:
Theres more out there in the world?

Don't get me started on mothers! :sigh:

Biff -- how many pages in that book anyway, and what's the ratio of pictures to text? :wink: :nerd:

^^ Don't think so, not sure though... I think Sometimes was the song dedicated to him, as was the entire album. I could be wrong though...:shrug:

Bono Mot said:

how many pages in that book anyway, and what's the ratio of pictures to text? :wink: :nerd:

There are about 450 pages and ALOT of photos but I think it is pretty balanced. A lot of the pictures are really small. I think that people that visit this forum will have seen a great many of them before since PLEBAns are quite good at finding photos! Early baby (baby) Edge photos that I hadn't seen before. Such a cutie! The text is them talking in their own words so Larry is very brief and direct. Being a Larry girl I was selfishly hoping to learn more about him but true to what I imagine is his character, he doesn't reveal very much about himself and the others don't really reveal much about him. I guess that's the way he likes it! Adam is insightful and thoughtful, Bono is effusive and rambling. Edge is hilarious. Some of his stories and the way he words things are just so funny. He talks pretty openly about some of his personal struggles with his first marriage and with his daughter's illness. I was surprised at this.
p.s. I got my book at Strand bookstore in new york 19.95. They had a few of them

Back
Top Bottom