Week 58

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good, so that's now also 8 weeks in top 50 Downunder. That's really quite impressive.
ChargedVT, do you think Bomb's total Aussie sales are now at 270k ?

Last edited:
Soldatti said:
Crazy moves on the UK chart this week (including 60 re-entries on the Top 200) but U2 is nowhere on the chart.

I'm leaving for vacations now, see you all in two weeks.
Bye.
Oh well... that'll be 'cos of the New Year sales. They obviously haven't dropped the price of Bomb then. Still, just 1 week in the whole of 2005 without an album on top 200 - not bad going.

Edge3 I would estimate about 260-265k for Australia...
There's no way to know for sure as actual sales figures are not often available to the public. From finding some old articles though I can say that...
#10 = 4900
#20 = 3100
#30 = 2200
#40 = 1600
#50 = 1200
#60 = 1000
#80 = 750
That's for most weeks (first 8 months or so of the year average)

So Best Of actually goes way back up to # 90 in UK this week ! This means it spent (i think) a total of 39 wks on top 200 in 2005 with total sales of (probably) about 90-100K. It's total UK overall sales (both versions) are now at the 1.8M mark so hopefully the 6xPlat cert. will come soon.

amzon.com now #72...do u think bomb will stay in top 200 next week?

edge3, for you is it possible that bomb will re-enter in top 200 uk next weeks (uk chart after x-mast is very very particular...)?

I think that the bomb will stay in the BB200 for another week. After that, it's very difficult to predict the run of the album until the Grammies. It could stay in the charts but it could also leave them for a few weeks.

:hmm: It SHOULD stay on BB200 considering it's currently up at # 147 & the Grammies are only, what, 5 weeks away - but, of course, in week 40 it dropped off after rising to # 150... so, yes, who knows for sure ?

As for the UK... well if they win at the Grammies, esp. album of the year, then i think it might well return to top 200, maybe even top 100 (ATYCLB re-entered top 75 the week after Grammies in 2002). Otherwise its probably now more a question of :

a) if / when Bomb is put on special offer (at HMV, Woolworths etc)
b) if / when U2 return to do some more UK gigs (this summer)

In Australia the album has dropped back out of the top 100 this week, but like everywhere else this week's chart has lots of re-entries and weird rises and falls.
Once things stabilise we may see it back in the chart.

So i guess the world total for this week is gonna back down to around 20-30k.

In the UK overall artist album sales dropped by 61% after being the highest EVER in Xmas week - top 98 each sold over 10k ! - but this was still the 6th highest of 2005, so Bomb may well still have sold another 1,000.

In US i think we gonna see a drop to about # 160 with sales of around 10k (i hope i'm wrong)...

edge3 said:
So i guess the world total for this week is gonna back down to around 20-30k.

In the UK overall artist album sales dropped by 61% after being the highest EVER in Xmas week - top 98 each sold over 10k ! - but this was still the 6th highest of 2005, so Bomb may well still have sold another 1,000.

In US i think we gonna see a drop to about # 160 with sales of around 10k (i hope i'm wrong)...

i think that bomb can stay in top 200 bb this week...there will be a drop of sales but on amazon they continue to stay in top 70...i hope near 10k like u edge3!

edge3 said:

So, the Best of sold more than 10k copies last week allone in UK, or? (it was at #90). Very impressive.

bomb at #61 on Amazon.com, almost every album ahead of it has had a $5-7 reduction in price also. if they reduced bomb it would be a lot higher.

is it up to the Retailer what albums are reduced, or must the Artist/Record Company agree to it?

Also whats everyones thoughts about whether bomb should be reduced or not? might sell a lot more copies?

ybird3k said:
bomb at #61 on Amazon.com, almost every album ahead of it has had a $5-7 reduction in price also. if they reduced bomb it would be a lot higher.

is it up to the Retailer what albums are reduced, or must the Artist/Record Company agree to it?

Also whats everyones thoughts about whether bomb should be reduced or not? might sell a lot more copies?

Prices are determined by the retailer. The retailer buys from the record company and its up to them to sell what they have purchased.

I'm sure if the price was reduced in the UK it would now be on top 200... in most major record stores its still available at the maximum possible price : £12.99-£15.99 (over $20 !)

fitz said:

So, the Best of sold more than 10k copies last week allone in UK, or? (it was at #90). Very impressive.

Sorry, no, top 98 albums each sold over 10k last week (Xmas week). This week the top 47 albums each sold over 10k with a 61% drop overall. Best Of rose 87 spots so i guess it would have sold about the same as last week : 4k

We haven't got this week's US placing yet but we should be able to figure it out from the end of year sales results...

HTDAAB was #73 for the calendar year with 828,722

I think last year it was about 2,156,000????

What this means is that the album sold 8000-8500 this week in the US, I believe. Which would mean a drop in position considering that after christmas sales are still high.

ChargedVT said:
We haven't got this week's US placing yet but we should be able to figure it out from the end of year sales results...

HTDAAB was #73 for the calendar year with 828,722

I think last year it was about 2,156,000????

What this means is that the album sold 8000-8500 this week in the US, I believe. Which would mean a drop in position considering that after christmas sales are still high.

Based on those numbers, this means it sold 8,486 copies this past week, a huge drop from last week, but about the same ratio of a drop that we saw last year at this time.

BOMB sold 2,156,201 in 2004. Add that to the 2005 total of 828,722 and you get a combined total of 2,984,923! That means BOMB is still has 15,077 copies to go before hitting the 3 million mark on soundscan. At the current sales level, this will take a few more weeks.

edge3 said:

Sorry, no, top 98 albums each sold over 10k last week (Xmas week). This week the top 47 albums each sold over 10k with a 61% drop overall. Best Of rose 87 spots so i guess it would have sold about the same as last week : 4k

Oh yes, I've mixed the weeks.

i dont think in a big drop in position because last week n. 1 sold 700000,and this week 170000

Monai are u italian?like me?

i think Believe said that bomb didn't stay in top 200...but the important is: how many copies sold the number 200 on Bb top 200?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom