Week 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KUEFC09U2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I'll take over from irishteen this week, but it appears U2 have slipped to around 17 on the midweeks here in the UK, :ohmy: now even for me that seems like one huge drop?

But to be fair, now looking back through other released, there has always been quite a big dip, we do need to the second single, but i really wont be suprised to see a big push for Magnificent come May 1st when its out here in the UK

infact since the initial promotion, there has been next to nothing here in the UK, i have litreally seen 1 TV add and that was the day after release, and unfortunatley here in the UK people dont seem to buy things without being nudged into it, but i still think once magnificent gets onto the airwaves here, it will perk interest a little along with the tour.

I was worried about the drop so much I decided not even to start a thread hoping it would pick up...doesn't look like it is...

I think that's the way the last u2's albums perform in the uk charts. After the first weeks with the strong sales, the album drops from the top spots until the second single gets released and the album picks up again in the charts. Even HTDAAB with the huge sales in it's first five weeks, dropped from #4 to #14 in it's sixth week, while ATYCLB dropped from #10 to #20 in it's fourth week. So i guess it's all up to Magnificent right now.
But generally speaking, i tend to believe that UK is nowdays not as strong a market for U2 as U.S.A. for example. The fact that with the exception of the first Wembley concert they haven't sold out the other concerts in U.K. yet, as long as the fact that the album is now at #37 on the i-tunes albums chart convinces me that U2 aren't as popular in the uk as they used to be. By contrast, in the U.S.A. u2 not only have they sold out every concert has been to public sale yet, but also the album is at #16 on the i-tunes albums chart, even though a bunch of new released albums has been available the last two weeks.
It has to do with the markets afterall and, at least for now, UK is not a favourable market to U2.

Personally i would just say its down to lack of promotion, i mean we have the initial week with the radio appreances and Jonathan Ross etc, but then what? nothing, but i dont know, i just have a hunch they have some promotion planned to tie in with magnificent, and seeing how the other 2 albums dropped, i am now not to concerned, come the brits if this album wins anything, it will shoot straight back up there again,

i dont really think its fair to say U2 are not as popular anymore, i mean nobody have come close to matching U2's first week sales upto now this year

As for the tour, i can still remember being able to pull tickets up for both manchester shows, and the cardiff show around 2 weeks before, and in the case of the cardiff show the actual week of the concert, they are close to being sold out now, which is pretty great considering both coldplay and oasis have yet to sell out there shows, and with coldplay being so popular here in the UK, i think that shows its not just a U2 problem.

I think U2 really need to get Magnificent on UK radio soon, that song could save the album from collapsing down the charts

I think the album will linger in the top 40 for quite a while to be honest, i mean the killers have been in the top 30 for quite some time, but your right, i think magnificent could put it back into the top 10,

are we about to see a blackberry ad?

The Killers have Human which was a huge single with massive airplay that is still selling

Boots isn't getting airplay on most stations any more and Magnificent hasn't started getting played yet, maybe that's why the album is falling so fast

Possibly, i definatley think they are going for the #1 single this time around though, hence why they havent released it to radio yet here in the UK, i really dont think they are to bothered about the US as its performing quite well airplay wise over there, thus possibly leading to the album stabalizing,

As for the album falling, the 2 albums before this, once they started falling they fell fast, and held at around #17, i just hope this does the same.

Sad to hear about UK sales...

Poland:
1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 2

not bad :) at #1 new album by Diana Krall - Quiet Nights
...and if anyone's interested in Polish charts, the next "foreign" artist is at #12,
also New at #20 Pearl Jam - Ten, at #34 Leonard Cohen - Live in London and (I'm sure a big surprise for you) at #45 The Killers - Day and Age

:wave:

What is actually a suprise to me, is how well U218 has climbed, its actually still in the top 40 in the UK,

Italy

albums chart : NLOTH #2

singles chart : Magnificent debuts at #48, while Get On Your Boots is at #50

Magnificent also moves up to #8 from #27 on Top 100 Airplay.

The Killers have Human which was a huge single with massive airplay that is still selling

Boots isn't getting airplay on most stations any more and Magnificent hasn't started getting played yet, maybe that's why the album is falling so fast

you beat me to it. its all about generating 1 hit with massive airplay over the course of many months.

e.g. Human, sex on fire / use somebody, VLV

I was expecting 18 singles to have fallen fast down the charts, but its holding up incredibly well. perhaps people still love U2, but the new album needs a hit song to get people interested in the new stuff

you beat me to it. its all about generating 1 hit with massive airplay over the course of many months.

e.g. Human, sex on fire / use somebody, VLV

The problem is U2 could suffer from the Coldplay and Killers effect

Human and Viva La Vida were huge, so huge that their newer singles never took off. If Magnificent is that big, singles 3 and 4 could stall

It'll be interesting to see how it goes

An interesting point. I agree to an extent that one single being so huge and radio continuing to play it, can result in a following single not being given its fair share of airplay. However i also think that if the songs were good enough they would become hits also. i do think the 3rd & 4th singles from coldplay were pretty medioca. A few years ago when greendays boulevard had massive success i think that paved the way for the subsequent singles to have significant airplay also as everyone jumped onto the bandwagon. If a 2nd single is not a hit then, radio could possibly be very reluctant to play the 3rd single.

IMO having one massive hit at the potential expense of following singles is more than worth it in terms of album sales. it cant be stressed enough what a song like VLV can do for an albums sales, im pretty sure VLV album would have stalled on 5M if it hadnt been for that song.

An interesting point. I agree to an extent that one single being so huge and radio continuing to play it, can result in a following single not being given its fair share of airplay. However i also think that if the songs were good enough they would become hits also. i do think the 3rd & 4th singles from coldplay were pretty medioca. A few years ago when greendays boulevard had massive success i think that paved the way for the subsequent singles to have significant airplay also as everyone jumped onto the bandwagon. If a 2nd single is not a hit then, radio could possibly be very reluctant to play the 3rd single.

IMO having one massive hit at the potential expense of following singles is more than worth it in terms of album sales. it cant be stressed enough what a song like VLV can do for an albums sales, im pretty sure VLV album would have stalled on 5M if it hadnt been for that song.

Amazing what you can accomplish by blatently plagerizing somebody elses music.

In the US, U2 is set to drop out of the top 10, and Taylor Swift will probably outsell them, even after like, a million weeks already on the US charts. And you guys were worried about Kelly Clarkson?

Considering the amount of new releases there was always a chance of a big drop in position, as for Taylor Swift Hits are predicting they will sell round about the same, with taylor 35k-40k and U2 at 30k-35k, which would show U2'S sales as steadying.

In the US, U2 is set to drop out of the top 10, and Taylor Swift will probably outsell them, even after like, a million weeks already on the US charts. And you guys were worried about Kelly Clarkson?

So, what is your point? That your negativity regarding U2's sales compared to Kelly Clarkson's was based on nothing?
:rolleyes:

So, what is your point? That your negativity regarding U2's sales compared to Kelly Clarkson's was based on nothing?
:rolleyes:

I think he is trying to highlight the tragedy that someone like Taylor Swift could outsell U2. If anything his point highlights what demographic is buying music these days.

Considering the amount of new releases there was always a chance of a big drop in position, as for Taylor Swift Hits are predicting they will sell round about the same, with taylor 35k-40k and U2 at 30k-35k, which would show U2'S sales as steadying.

U2's sales aren't really steadying when the best case scenario is a 32% drop

nloth n.3 and 6 this week in holland and australia. holland chart run 1-1-2-2-3 australia 1-1-3-5-6.

that drops worse than last week, is not steadying one bit.

its really hard to see how this album will reach 1.5M US, 0.5M UK & 5M worldwide. UK particularly poor.

It's gonna struggle to go platinum in both the UK and US at the rate it's going. Boots was an awful single choice

It's gonna struggle to go platinum in both the UK and US at the rate it's going. Boots was an awful single choice

platinum in UK is 300,000 so will make that in next 2 months at the most. its hard to believe that bomb was 3x plat in uk within 5-6 weeks of release!

Back
Top Bottom