Week 12

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jick said:
Week 12 is really the week where the effects of The Mullen Apology really start to show. And the Belgium and Netherlands reports show that my theory was right - U2 are beginning the mother of all comebacks. Mullen truly is an asset to the band.

Cheers,

J

No it isn't about the mullen apology. The u2 ticket sales was big news this week. Non die hard u2 fand don't even know about apologies made bgy larry, and all die hard fans bought the album in november. With ATYCLB it was the same in Netherlands. But then there wasn't an apology from mullen

netherlands:

1-1-2-3-4-4-5-6-7-8-6-1- HTDAAB
1-1-1-1-1-3-3-3-5-6-7-6- ATYCLB

Hmmm, good they're back at no.1.
Anyone know some sales figures for Netherlands?

I thougt U2 have already sold 949 k in UK before this week. Now they speek of 947 k including this week. Which figure is now correct?

Wow!

Sometimes is #1! The Mullen Apology must have catapulted Sometimes to that spot!

Did you guys catch the vocal version of The Mullen Apology in the Grammies last night? I thought it was touching for him to refer to us a long suffering.

Little things like those raise people's impression of the band and can only boost their sales and marketability. I am sure U2 will still be strong for weeks 12 and 13 thanks to Mullen.

Cheers,

J

Portugal: stays in #13 again

Chart: 1-1-1-1-3-4-5-9-13-13-13-13

Vertigo Run: 1-1-2-5-9-13-16-20-19-12-14-10

Sales: Aprox. 70.000

Japan

Issue Date: Feb 7, 2005

74 "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" - U2 (3,947) (226,646 so far) 11 weeks

Run so far: *4*-9-14-22-29-25-25-30-34-42-74 (11 wks)
Sales so far: 84,129 + 44,394 + 24,903 + 15,549 + 11,576 + 12,600 + 0 + 18,820 + 5,802 + 4,926 + 3,947 = 226,646

Japan

Issue Date: Feb 14, 2005

96 "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" - U2 (2,968) (229,614 so far) 12 weeks

Run so far: *4*-9-14-22-29-25-25-30-34-42-74-96 (12 wks)
Sales so far: 84,129 + 44,394 + 24,903 + 15,549 + 11,576 + 12,600 + 0 + 18,820 + 5,802 + 4,926 + 3,947 + 2,968 = 229,614

The Japansese chart is the official Top 100 albums, but I can get info under 101-300 positions. This information (101-300) is not official but Oricon prints positions and sales for albums under 100 so "I will follow" the album in Japan until it drops from the Top 300.

Soldatti, I honestly can't remember - is HTDAAB now the highest selling U2 album in Japan or does it still have some ground to gain?

Hello,

Some of my fellow countrymen have already reported the big news from the Dutch charts, so here I try to give some more background info and maybe some new stats. And yes, bla bla, yadda yadda compiled by the Mega Charts (http://www.megacharts.nl), with the single sales only chart being published by Top 40 Web (http://www.top40web.nl).
Well, the big news has been reported already. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb is back at #1! After an absence of 9 weeks, the album is back at the top of the charts. The main reason for this return is the fact that tickets to the 3 U2 concerts went on sale on 5 February. The Dutch media gave a lot of attention to this, which often went accompanied with a U2 song. Some radio stations also gave away tickets and played more U2 than usual. Oh, and the Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own single was released (sorta... but more about that later).
This isn't the first time an U2 album returned to the top, nor the second. In 1998/1999 The Best Of 1980-1990 was at the top for 8 weeks when it had to step down for George Michael's best of collection for a week after which it returned to the top for another 2 weeks. And again, with the release of All That You Can't Leave Behind the album stayed at the top for 5 weeks, left that position for 13 weeks, after which it returned again for another week at the top. IIRC, this was also after tickets for the Dutch concerts went on sale.
By rising to #1 again, an U2 album has been #1 for 42 weeks now. This ties them with the Rolling Stones in 3rd position on the Most Weeks At #1 Artists list (Queen is #1), AFAIK. And oh, HTDAAB displaced Robbie Williams' Greatest Hits on the chart (selling 22% more than that record), just like it did when it debuted on the chart. :)
Here is the chart run for How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (27-11-2004)
1-1-2-3-4-4-5-6-7-8
6-1

Last week I noted that Vertigo had dropped out of the Mega Top 50 chart (which is a combination of sales and airplay on a select radio station and MTV), although it did return to the top 40 of the sales-only chart. Well, that return was a brief one, as the single has dropped out of that chart again. And I don't think we will see it rebounce again, now that there is a new single.
So here is the chart run of the Vertigo single on the sales-only chart (13-11-2004):
2-3-5-12-14-20-23-25-23-31
39-out-40-out of charts

As I have alluded a couple of times already, there is a new single out. Last week I had some scepticism about SYCMIOYO debuting on the chart. I couldn't find it that weekend, so if it was only properly released on the Monday, that would mean it would miss the weekend sales. It does debut this week in the Mega Top 50, but only at a low #36. The reason for this is clear. Somewhere, somebody fucked up with the release of this single. I thought it was supposed to be released on 7 February, but I couldn't find it in the weekend prior. I heard from some people they bought the single during the week. But when I went to look for it this weekend, I found almost no shop selling it. At the end I could find the 2 singles (but not the DVD-single as the shop already sold out of those) but it took a lot of looking around. And when I saw a whole lot of them behind the counter of another shop, I was told they weren't allowed to sell those until Monday. :banghead: This was in a shop of the largest record chain in the Netherlands. So not only did they get the single a week later than scheduled originally, they apparently weren't allowed to sell them until after the weekend. Hence, the low debut (and the absence on the top 40 portion of the sales only chart). Will the single reach the top on next week's chart? Well, my reservations from last week still stand, because in many stores the single wasn't on sale until after the weekend... :|
Here is the chart run of Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own on the Mega Top 50 (12-2-2005):

The charity single for the victims of the tsunami isn't #1 anymore, the new #1 is a Carnival novelty single called Das Kleine Krokodil by the act Schnappi (yes, it is a German single). Trust me, you don't want to hear it. :tsk:

C ya!

Marty

Axver said:
Soldatti, I honestly can't remember - is HTDAAB now the highest selling U2 album in Japan ?

Yep, almost 230,000 copies sold so far. The Best Of 80-90 is second with a little more than 200,000 copies.

I didn't get Soundscan numbers so far but I saw the new Billboard Hot 100 (Issue Date Feb. 26) and I have bad news:
- Vertigo is out after 20 weeks, songs are removed from the Billboard Hot 100 if they have been for more than 20 weeks and rank below 50.
- I didn't see ABOY on the new chart, I guess that is bubbling, still...

Soldatti said:

Yep, almost 230,000 copies sold so far. The Best Of 80-90 is second with a little more than 200,000 copies.

Wow, that is impressive, for HTDAAB to become the best-selling album so quickly! Hopefully that will bode well for U2 playing Japan (and therefore Australia too!) on this tour ...

U.S. U2 albums & singles - the rest of the Billboard charts week 12

Soldatti is right...singles have 20 weeks to stay in the Top 50 and then they are out of the Billboard Hot 100. Wonder if this change has anything to do with counting downloads? Either way, here's the rest of week 12 on Billboard:

HTDAAB: Falls from 5 to 8 on Top 40 Internet downloaded albums
Best of 1980-1990: Falls from 32 to 36 on Pop Catalog Albums

ABOY:

Down from 8 to 12 on Modern Rock Charts
ABOY stays at 20 on Mainstream Rock Tracks, w/increased airplay
Down from 13 to 17 on Adult Top 40 Tracks
Down from 2 to 12 on " Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles Chart"

Vertigo:
Drops from 25 to 26 on Mainstream Rock Charts
Stays at 37 on Modern Rock Charts
Falls drops from 26 to 28 on Hot Digital Tracks Top 50
Vertigo debuts at #17 on Hot 100 Singles Recurrent Chart
Vertigo debuts at #7 on Hot Recurrent Singles 100 Airplay

On the 2 charts that ultimately make up the "Hot 100 Singles Chart", the "20 week rule" is not in effect, so we can see where Vertigo is overall on the singles charts by looking at these:

Vertigo:

Falls from 48 to 53 on Billboard Pop 100
Falls off the "Billboard Top 75 Singles Sales (maybe at 92?)

These charts now state that "Songs over 30 weeks old below #50 will be removed from this chart", and that "this data is used to help compile other charts, such as the Billboard Hot 100".

On various "Rock and Radio Charts", Sometimes you Make it own Your own rises in various formats in it's 2nd week (Feb 18 edition, came out today, doesn't include Grammies). Most notably, it was #1 in adds on Triple A format for the week.

no BB's Sales figures this week? we know everything...except how many copies HTDAAB has sold according to soundscan!

Soldatti,

I think you are the only one here with Soundscan sales figures from week to week.

Dima,

I've looked everywhere and it appears that my online service does not include Soundscan weekly figures. On Billboard's Eurochart, American Idiot returns to #1, while HTDAAB returns to #2. "Sometimes" was the highest debut, coming in at #4 with release dates in 4 countries. I think Green Day sold 181,000 based on this chart last week. The Eurochart was updated Feb 26 like U.S. Billboard and includes the following countries, with a few not on the same week:

"The European Hot 100 Singles is compiled by Billboard Information Group and based on the national album sales charts of 18 European territories:

A = Austria, CH = Switzerland, CZE = Czech Republic, D = Germany, DK = Denmark, E = Spain, F = France, FIN = Finland, FL = Flanders, I = Italy, IRL = Ireland, N = Norway, NL = Holland, P = Portugal, S = Sweden, UK = United Kingdom, WA = Wallony © 2005 Billboard/VNU Business Media Inc., and Nielsen SoundScan.

as we wait for BB's sales figures to arrive some intresting news from Mediatraffic:

HTDAAB drops from #6 to #10 (this drop is also due to 4 new entries) but the album had increased sales and sold probably about 170k copies (we know #9 sold 189k).
The total so far should be around 6.550.000-6.600.000 copies (but here fitz could be more accurate: ask your contact at mediatraffic ;) ).

As a side note #3 has sold 211k copies while #9 has sold 189k copies..U2 is at #10 but as that the difference between #3 and #9 is just 22k copies then HTDAAB is not that far from the podium and I bet that U2 will be in the top 3 next week thanks to the Grammy's boost

Dima said:
as we wait for BB's sales figures to arrive some intresting news from Mediatraffic:

HTDAAB drops from #6 to #10 (this drop is also due to 4 new entries) but the album had increased sales and sold probably about 170k copies (we know #9 sold 189k).
The total so far should be around 6.550.000-6.600.000 copies (but here fitz could be more accurate: ask your contact at mediatraffic ;) ).

As a side note #3 has sold 211k copies while #9 has sold 189k copies..U2 is at #10 but as that the difference between #3 and #9 is just 22k copies then HTDAAB is not that far from the podium and I bet that U2 will be in the top 3 next week thanks to the Grammy's boost

And Sometimes is a Hot shot Debut new entry at 26 - with Vertigo holding at 14. and now with 4 million points

Mike

Germany #25 (30)

@Dima: I will ask at mediatraffic. I also asked last week but I didn't get an answer. But I will try it again.

@mikeuk:

Denmark #7 (#16)

Spain #9 (#10)

I think that is correct... can you agree?

Another side note on Week 12 charts...ABOY debuts for the 3rd time on MTV's Top 20 video's, this time at number 16. This chart is new and looks current, as I check it weekly. I made it through VH-1's Top 11 last night and no ABOY was shown, so I assume it will move up this week, too.

mikeuk said:

I obtained my info from http://allcharts.org/music - but if you have more accurate/up to date info then great.

Mike

Spain was #10 for Week 11 and allcharts.org hasn't updated, so there's no Week 12 listed.

The charts for Denmark from allcharts.org are also correct, #7 this week and #16 last week. The "12" is for week 12.

Here are the global sales figures for the last two weeks:

U2's latest album sold 124.000 copies (week 7) and 141.000 copies (week 8).

The numbers behind the week are the weeks of the year 2005.

The worldwide total amounts now: 6,538,000

Back
Top Bottom