War vs Bomb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

War vs Bomb

• War

Votes: 59 48.0%
  • Bomb

Votes: 64 52.0%

• Total voters
Harry Vest said:
You HAVE to be kidding!!!
On "New Years Day" "Sunday Bloody Sunday" "Like A Song" "Drowning Man" and "40" WAR WINS HANDSDOWN!!!
Nothing on Bomb comes even close to these gems. Nothing I tell ya!!!

Exactly! I'm surprised it's even a contest! Sheesh! :tsk:

I like War a lot.

Nothing I've heard from Bomb (and granted I haven't heard it all) interests me in the slightest.

it's tough to compare these - personally i find it difficult to compare songs that are 20 years old, with all the attached nostalgia and such, to songs that are 1 or 2 years old. i did some crazy shit growing up, and much of war served as the soundtrack to some of those fun times. with that attached (and it's almost impossible for me to separate it), it's a tough prospect.
we always romanticize the way things were. look at any list of the greatest albums or songs ever, and it's chock full of oldies but goodies. it's impossible for a new bit of music to break in...nostalgia is the great divider. has anyone ever written songs better than dylan? possibly, but we'll never admit it. or realize it.
i don't know if war or bomb is better. both are u2 at their rawest. to be sure, there's some stuff on war that is timeless. also some stuff on bomb. miracle drug is one of my favorite songs. it'll never be elevated to the pantheon of songs like bad or streets or sunday bloody sunday, however, as it doesn't have the history. some of you may say it won't because it sucks. that's fine, but opinions aside, i have a point. bear it in mind.

Last edited:
What's with all the Bomb polls?

It would be nice to see a poll without the usual snide comments and pot shots at the current U2.

War wins it by far for me.

It's U2 trying to find their voice and sound , etc.

and anyways, an album that ends with a song like '40' :drool:

U2girl said:
What's with all the Bomb polls?

It would be nice to see a poll without the usual snide comments and pot shots at the current U2.

People are expressing their opinion. You don't have to like it, but aren't your comments about others opinions every bit as snide? If you don't like the polls, etc., don't post in the damned things. There are thousands of other threads to choose from here. :shrug:

War has 2/3 great songs however....this clearly doesn't make it a good album. It's 2nd side is probably the weakest of any U2 album. HTDAAB is amazingly consistent which IMO makes it a much better slab of 'work'

xaviMF22 said:
I'm sorry but I disagree, bomb is not consistent

Bomb has some amazing songs but it's not consistent at all... after the two better songs of the album (LAPOE and COBL) we have that horrid ABOY... Vertigo doesn't flow into MD; Sometimes doesn't flow into LAPOE... excepting the final four ( CFYT - OSC - OOTS - Y ) it's just some great songs (excluding ABOY) without any link between them. And ending with Fast Cars really sucks. I love Fast Cars but not ending an album.

Bomb it's like a greatest hits, a safe record. Has many great songs but lacks something more. That's why I rank it at #5 or #6 - middle of the road...

War has an weak 2nd part, only with Two Hearts and a great closer saving it. But the 5 first tracks... I love them all and they make such a strong A side.

MacPhistoPT said:

Bomb has some amazing songs but it's not consistent at all... after the two better songs of the album (LAPOE and COBL) we have that horrid ABOY... Vertigo doesn't flow into MD; Sometimes doesn't flow into LAPOE... excepting the final four ( CFYT - OSC - OOTS - Y ) it's just some great songs (excluding ABOY) without any link between them. And ending with Fast Cars really sucks. I love Fast Cars but not ending an album.

Bomb it's like a greatest hits, a safe record. Has many great songs but lacks something more. That's why I rank it at #5 or #6 - middle of the road...

War has an weak 2nd part, only with Two Hearts and a great closer saving it. But the 5 first tracks... I love them all and they make such a strong A side.

:up:

MacPhistoPT said:

War has an weak 2nd part, only with Two Hearts and a great closer saving it.

I would totally disagree. 40 is georgous but Two Hearts.. is very, very average by U2 standards, one of their worst singles ever IMO.

indra said:

People are expressing their opinion. You don't have to like it, but aren't your comments about others opinions every bit as snide? If you don't like the polls, etc., don't post in the damned things. There are thousands of other threads to choose from here. :shrug:

I know they are, but there's a way to say things. I have not seen anyone post nothing nearly as full of venom as some comments that have appeared in the polls.
I never said anything about not liking the polls. Spare me the patronising would you?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom