War and October remastered details bonus disc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Valid points. The only part I disagree with is the availability of the live material. Yes, some of it might be available in very good quality already, but it's not going to compare to an officially released and remastered version. It would be the best quality of the live material by far, so releasing it as either a complete show or, at the very least, in some sort of logical order that was reflective of how that tour went would have been a better idea, I think.

Not necessarily. For me I almost prefer the raw live stuff versus polishing it up. It can be become a studio track with crowd noise added feel when they go crazy with remastering. Which is my concern for the UABRS remaster coming.

Aren't we all forgetting that there will most likely be a huge box set one day which will most likely include several unreleased tracks, live tracks, remixes, etc. so my guess is they'll throw us a bone on the remasters, but the other stuff will come in a monster box set which will probably break my piggy bank!!! :rockon::rockon::rockon:

Where does the October lyric book(stolen in Portland) fit into the package? If Bono/band is not up for having a contempory stab at the original lyrics, can they be posted/published for nutcase u2 fans/cover bands to have a crack at the songs? Talk about U2 adding value to their publishing portfolio!!

Where's the soundcheck tape of Adam stumbling onto the NYD riff in Hawaii? I'd think it would get more replay value than the remixes. C'mon, give Adam his musical due on cd!!

If this is really the final tracklist I don't think I'll buy the bonus editions. I'm looking forward to the remasters, but the remixes suck big time.

I don't see why it can't remain raw with the sound quality improved. :shrug:

If it isn't broke, then why fix it? :shrug: :)

Most of the FM Broadcasts that are being used and were discussed as possibly being used in this thread are top notch excellent quality already.

Where does the October lyric book(stolen in Portland) fit into the package? If Bono/band is not up for having a contempory stab at the original lyrics, can they be posted/published for nutcase u2 fans/cover bands to have a crack at the songs? Talk about U2 adding value to their publishing portfolio!!

We might see some fragments in the accompanying booklet. Though I doubt it'll be very interesting.
(pictures a bad drawing of a person, with some scribbles below it: kneel -- feel, sky -- rain, You -- too)

I have all the War 'remixes' on vinyl (and the crappy versions on iTunes) so I'm looking forward to having these remastered on CD.

I'm really looking forward to hearing Boy through War remastered as I really don't care for the previous CD version...War is the first album that got me into U2...:drool:

So begins my abstaining from U2's first 3 albums plus live stuff from the period. I'm pretending to be an early 80s U2-virgin when I pick all 3 of these up in 2 months. :)

I *hate* remixes.

Me too. But the THBAO and NYD remixes are pretty good. And for U2 to do remixes back in '83 it was pretty brave.

The 90's remixes are more like filler to make up for lack of proper material and whilst the War sessions similarly had no left overs the '83 remixes are so much better than recent efforts. They are complimentary to the original songs.

thought other people would have replied before I say anything. damn, now i look like i'm ranting. but COME ON. What the hell's with this?

When I got the Joshua Super Deluxe Ultra Mega Box for Christmas I was so impressed with the way they did the 2nd disc. All the B-sides in order of release followed by a single edit of Streets then the unreleased stuff to finish it off. These discs are just sloppy. I was really hoping they'd have the B-sides in order at the front of the disc, but this is just ridiculous. You've got Endless Deep opening a disc where you have New Year's Day remixes one after the other.

I'm not demanding unreleased songs that don't exist or properly mastered recordings of demos I already have from the War Sessions however nice that would have been but the fact that there's just no flow, the B-sides are just scattered amongst god knows what and it just looks messy. I personally think the tracks almost lose their impact that way. Treasure at the start would be perfect followed by Endless Deep. Fine. I don't think it's too fussy to prefer everything sorted in groups like The Joshua Tree. I'm really not looking forward to these as much as I was. I'm obviously going to buy them though, October's always been one of my favourite albums and I can't wait to have that and Boy (and War to a slightly lesser extent) remastered with cleaned up B-sides I have on vinyl or shitty MP3s.

But I'm just worried that endless remixes on the War disc spells the death knell for any hope of a mind-numbing, wet dream inducing Achtung Baby/Zooropa/Pop remaster box. I just can't help thinking we're going to end up with two (maybe THREE if they want to milk it) disc sets of the obligatory B-sides but swamped in 5-6 remixes each of '...Real Thing' and 'Lemon' and 'Mofo' with a scrap of a demo or something worth listening to. I love dance music but I'm just one of those people who thinks remixes have their own place and these sets are starting to worry me.

I was thinking maybe they ARE saving some other stuff for later on but I think that's a real let down. I'd love an album with a disc of all the bonus stuff/unreleased stuff for example - Boy: Album. B-sides live etc. Demos/unreleased stuff ALL TOGETHER so you have just one box that is BOY. COMPLETE. EVERYTHING. rather than everything being scattered over various releases and everything coming seperate. That's if they even DO release anything like that later. (demos unreleased songs etc.)

At least The Unforgettable Fire is going to have a fucking kick-ass bonus disc. Some of the best songs U2 ever wrote all on one disc. Finally. And the Wire Dub Mix. :love::love::love:

So you're worried about all those remixes popping up on the War bonus disc and you're looking forward to a remix on The Unforgettable Fire bonus disc (that hasn't even been announced yet)?
:scratch:

:wink:

these bonus disks don't look particularly inspired
I probably won't bother with them
but I probably wouldn't no matter what because there never would have been enough material interesting enough for me

I didn't really expect demo versions to appear though
as much as it may be fun for us to have an insight in the creative process I can't say I have seen signs that suggest U2 will ever release demos
the closest they've come to giving us an insight in the creative process was "The making of The Joshua Tree" and even that mostly contained Edge talking about what DID appear on the album

let's face it
this band is probably still pissed the non finished tracklisting of All that you can't .... surfaced

So you're worried about all those remixes popping up on the War bonus disc and you're looking forward to a remix on The Unforgettable Fire bonus disc (that hasn't even been announced yet)?
:scratch:

:wink:

you know there's a world of difference between a bonus disc (war) being stuffed with remixes of ONE SONG all one after the other alongside TWO original B-sides and a bonus disc (UF) of an album had a TON of B-sides (fucking great ones) and one remix of Wire that I happen to love and hope will turn up :rolleyes: :wink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom