Vrbno pod Pradědem Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to write an essay comparing and contrasting CNN and Fox News. I can't find where to begin, honestly.

phillyfan26 said:
My school generally has good teachers, but its math department is unbelievably horrible.

My school's maths department was almost worryingly hit and miss. Three of its teachers were three of the best in the school, and I've met two of them since (though one I knew better as my Study Of Religion teacher than as a maths teacher), while two others were absolutely horrible. One of them was this German guy who basically lived up to every stereotype of the strict German in history.

phillyfan26 said:
I have to write an essay comparing and contrasting CNN and Fox News. I can't find where to begin, honestly.

Let me write your essay for you:

"CNN is sensationalised centre-right bullshit that is occasionally passable. Fox News is rabid far right extremist bullshit that nobody with a functioning brain would take seriously."

coolian2 said:
Did you ever mention the war?

:lol: No, I hate to think what would've happened if I had! But occasionally we'd get him off topic and he'd spend entire lessons talking about Germany. It was his lone indulgence to being human. Otherwise he was a rigid old sod who was more a mathematics robot than a person.

Essentially, I'm supposed to find an article by each on the same story and I'm supposed to compare the two reporting styles.

I just need to find a divisive story.

Ah dear, you just reminded me of this German teacher that took my class as a study class.

We'd always not mention the war, and put our hands up in that particular style when she was calling the roll.

One time i switched seats with one of the asian guys in the class. She called the roll and had terrible difficulty believing i was Carlo Wan. The guy who was being me got in trouble and had to write a 250 word essay....needless to say, neither of us did it.

Axver said:

Let me write your essay for you:

"CNN is sensationalised centre-right bullshit that is occasionally passable. Fox News is rabid far right extremist bullshit that nobody with a functioning brain would take seriously."

Few things you need to know:

- I'm in America, so the context has to essentially be such.
- CNN is considered left to far left in America.
- Fox is considered far right in America.
- My teacher is not only conservative, but the head of our school's Young Republicans Club.

My first paper was about a book she assigned over the summer, called "Shut Up and Sing: How Liberal Elites Are Ruining America." I wrote a scathing reply where I buried the whole thing as "a baseless liberal-bashing party with little evidence, all of which is exxagerated, misinterpreted, or completely made up."

I received a C-.

phillyfan26 said:

- My teacher is not only conservative, but the head of our school's Young Republicans Club.

My first paper was about a book she assigned over the summer, called "Shut Up and Sing: How Liberal Elites Are Ruining America." I wrote a scathing reply where I buried the whole thing as "a baseless liberal-bashing party with little evidence, all of which is exxagerated, misinterpreted, or completely made up."

I received a C-.

Have you thought of telling her to go fuck herself?

She's actually a really nice, fun person. Her politics are just fucked up.

She found this interesting: she's the conservative daughter of two liberals, and I'm the liberal son of two conservatives.

Axver said:

Hey gluey! :wave:

I'm jealous of you and Ian, being over in NZ right now with sensible temperatures and such. We're expecting 38C today in Melbourne ... :crack:

:yikes: I know! Ali was just telling me!

phillyfan26 said:

This is why none of us take the US seriously.

I received a C-.

Can you appeal it, or do anything about her clear bias? Here, if we disagreed with a mark or felt a teacher were biased, it was rather easy to appeal and get it re-marked. Most of our stuff had to be double-marked anyway.

Considering there are a lot of people who believe it, accurate or not, I figured it was worth mentioning.

CNN in reality is liberal in its programming but relatively unbiased in its reporting, whereas Fox is biased on all counts.

Pfan, will you please tell kafrun that she is far too pretty to participate in the idiotic 'game' threads in this forum?

We'll kill two birds with one stone. We'll get you a girl and we'll eliminate one of the contributers.

Go now!

Dalton said:
Who considers CNN 'far left'? That's asinine.

I don't know how anybody could consider them left in the first place. Centrist, yes, but left? Hell no.

Axver said:

I don't know how anybody could consider them left in the first place. Centrist, yes, but left? Hell no.

The center to you is the left in America.

coolian2 said:

There are quite a few people who believe in intelligent design too.

My post was merely pointing out the perception if you look at my phrasing.

coolian2 said:

There are quite a few people who believe in intelligent design too.

I love intelligent design and creationism in the same way I love the Kunstmuseum. It identifies gullible, daft people I shouldn't waste time on!

Dalton said:

What? She's good looking and obviously lonely. That my friend is a winning ticket for you. If you won the lottery would you not cash in the ticket?

Ha. Well, that's an interesting way to put it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom