Vogan, Togo Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It just might be possible.

I think we need to do something about Mr Traviud's opinion on the second half. Why have you not yet subjected him to enough ISS and EPAA until he loves them?

I think we need to do something about Mr Traviud's opinion on the second half. Why have you not yet subjected him to enough ISS and EPAA until he loves them?

You guys need to brainwash me into liking studio Bad first. It's for my own good; I'm going to get lynched one of these days.

Well, I'd never do that to someone as far as ISS is concerned.

and uh >__> Imean, I kinda adore him for his cover of EPAA, so, there's not more I can do as far as that's concerned. 4th of July, if you don't get it you don't get it. MLK, no one's ever going to call that a favorite. But I know he loves Live Bad at the very least.

You guys need to brainwash me into liking studio Bad first. It's for my own good; I'm going to get lynched one of these days.

See, even though Bad is in my top six, I can forgive you for this.

Especially since I may need to revise my U2 rankings and lower studio Bad a bit anyway.

MLK, no one's ever going to call that a favorite.

Used to seem like it was a fan favourite here, I know some people have been flabbergasted at how lowly I rank it.

See, even though Bad is in my top six, I can forgive you for this.

Especially since I may need to revise my U2 rankings and lower studio Bad a bit anyway.

U2's best live songs:

1. Ultraviolet (no, I'm not kidding)
2. Bad
3. Streets
4. UTEOTW
5. New Year's Day
6. The Electric Co.
7. Dirty Day
8. Zoo Station
9. In God's Country
10. Beautiful Day

I don't mind it ending the album. It's kind of a creepy way to go out.

Honestly, I would have ended with Bad no matter what, and that would be a pretty creepy ending too. I think that's the only way the album should have ended. Maybe EPAA would have been cool.

EDIT: I could see someone thinking ASOH would work, at least thematically. It's a good credits rolling kind of song.

Honestly, I would have ended with Bad no matter what, and that would be a pretty creepy ending too. I think that's the only way the album should have ended. Maybe EPAA would have been cool.

EDIT: I could see someone thinking ASOH would work, at least thematically. It's a good credits rolling kind of song.

Oooh, I like the thought of ASOH ending :hmm:.

U2's best live songs:

2. Bad
3. Streets
4. UTEOTW
5. New Year's Day
6. The Electric Co.
7. Dirty Day
8. Zoo Station
9. In God's Country
10. Beautiful Day

That list seriously lacks some "Please" and "The Fly". In my opinion.

U2's best live songs:

2. Bad
3. Streets
4. UTEOTW
5. New Year's Day
6. The Electric Co.
7. Dirty Day
8. Zoo Station
9. In God's Country
10. Beautiful Day

... UV, really? I say this not because I don't like the song, but because it's hardly any different live at all. I think it's one of the less remarkable U2 songs live, one of the U2 tracks that doesn't improve much from the studio version. It's a little better, but when you're a band who can turn studio crap into live gold, e.g. Miami, that's nothing to write home about.

My top ten U2 live:
1. One Tree Hill
2. Bad
3. 11 O'clock Tick Tock
4. Exit
5. Hawkmoon 269
6. A Sort Of Homecoming
7. God Part II
8. Mofo
9. Dirty Day
10. The Electric Co.

Your lists all lack "Please". :tsk:

Each to their own, though.

I nearly included Please. The Sarajevo performance is one of my favourite U2 moments ever. It'd probably be in there if I'd done a top 20.

Do I even have to say it?

1. With Or Without You :sigh:

I don't have an exact list in my head, but, yeah, I adore live Ultraviolet.

I nearly included Please. The Sarajevo performance is one of my favourite U2 moments ever. It'd probably be in there if I'd done a top 20.

I would've loved to hear that Sarajevo performance of "Please". I can't believe there was a version better than Helsinki/Rotterdam.

I'll only judge live "Ultraviolet" until I hear it on the tour DVD or when I see it providing it makes its trip to Adelaide. Whichever comes first.

Honourable mentions to the top ten I posted: Twilight, UF, WOWY (1987-92 Shine Like Stars glory days ONLY), Bullet The Blue Sky (ZooTV mostly), Desire (Lovetown only), All Along The Watchtower (Lovetown only), UTEOTW, The Fly, Love Is Blindness, Please.

That'd probably be my top 11-20. Not sure how I'd rank them exactly though.

... UV, really? I say this not because I don't like the song, but because it's hardly any different live at all. I think it's one of the less remarkable U2 songs live, one of the U2 tracks that doesn't improve much from the studio version. It's a little better, but when you're a band who can turn studio crap into live gold, e.g. Miami, that's nothing to write home about

I couldn't disagree more. While the arrangement itself doesn't get much of an adjustment, it honestly didn't need much of an overhaul. Musically speaking, on the album, UV is one of U2's most formulaic, cynically-written songs (context and the lyrical theme of the song give it the strength it needs to hang with the rest of Achtung Baby), but that's actually to its advantage when performed live; they have a sturdy foundation to work with, assuming the formula is a good one. And I think we can all agree it is.

Live though, fucking hell, they bring it. It's the same damn song, but all the intangibles; an appropriately ragged, forceful performance from the band, a consistently impassioned Bono vocal (notice what happens when the song transitions into WOWY? Bono stops giving a fuck), and to wrap it all up, they've given it a gripping spectacle to get the crowd involved on both tours. It's fantastic live. Maybe not #1, but fantastic.

I'll only judge live "Ultraviolet" until I hear it on the tour DVD or when I see it providing it makes its trip to Adelaide. Whichever comes first.

If the encore is unchanged when U2 get to Australia, I'm seriously going to leave after Streets and beat the traffic.

I couldn't disagree more. While the arrangement itself doesn't get much of an adjustment, it honestly didn't need much of an overhaul. Musically speaking, on the album, UV is one of U2's most formulaic, cynically-written songs (context and the lyrical theme of the song give it the strength it needs to hang with the rest of Achtung Baby), but that's actually to its advantage when performed live; they have a sturdy foundation to work with, assuming the formula is a good one. And I think we can all agree it is.

Live though, fucking hell, they bring it. It's the same damn song, but all the intangibles; an appropriately ragged, forceful performance from the band, a consistently impassioned Bono vocal (notice what happens when the song transitions into WOWY? Bono stops giving a fuck), and to wrap it all up, they've given it a gripping spectacle to get the crowd involved on both tours. It's fantastic live. Maybe not #1, but fantastic.

Probably the only interesting part of live UV is the "when I was all fucked up" bit. The guitar is mundane and doesn't lift to ethereal heights; Bono's singing is pretty pedestrian for the most part, especially this tour (but let's be honest, 2000s Bono is always going to seem pedestrian compared to earlier incarnations); I honestly have no idea what Larry and Adam do during UV, they might as well not be there. By the zillionth harmonisation of the chorus, I'm wondering how long until it ends, but then that's what happens when I play the studio version as well.

Oh, and I thought the steering wheel mic was ridiculous long before we knew what song it was used for.

I realize you don't like the song, Ax, but man, the ZooTV performances...Jesus, the whole ending to ZooTV was one of the best moments U2 has ever had.

I realize you don't like the song, Ax, but man, the ZooTV performances...Jesus, the whole ending to ZooTV was one of the best moments U2 has ever had.

Bono needs to do more than mimic My Way to impress me.

God, I feel like I've asked this a hundred times before, and I just keep losing it...does anyone have the Triple Peaks mix of Can't Help Falling in Love?

If the encore is unchanged when U2 get to Australia, I'm seriously going to leave after Streets and beat the traffic.

For your sake I hope they squeeze in HMTMKMKM in WOWY's spot. I know it won't happen, but nothing is worse than an angry Axver.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom