Vertigo tour = worst opening bands ever!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
now i am lost :| snow partol, the killers, keane, the bravery. razorlight, kings of leon,

sorry who did we have on the elevation tour again?

I got to see The Bravery, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and Interpol, I was pretty happy with that.

DignityPassesBy said:
Hey shaun for once i agree with you, KFC most of the bands have been shit besides snow patrol and the killers everyone else has been kinda crappy
so you would have PJ harvey over any of them? or kelis?

Vertigo has seen a greater number of quality support acts than Elevation (although America had it tough being lumped with KOL): Snow Patrol, the Killers, the Bravery, Keane, Magic numbers, Kaiser Chiefs, Athlete.....basically all the big movers and shakers in the Rock/Indie field.

for the fucking 12011981702783 time..
KINGS OF LEON ROCK!!!!

man:

with zooropa we had to put up with the utah saints...talk about crap...

zwervers2 said:
for the fucking 12011981702783 time..
KINGS OF LEON ROCK!!!!

man:

with zooropa we had to put up with the utah saints...talk about crap...
Elevation in Cologne had Die Sohne Mannheims... Really crap, specially for a Dutchman!

We saw Fun Lovin' Criminals on the Pop Mart Tour. :| Not TERRIBLE...but not the best...and good for them, because it got me to buy a CD of theirs. Damn, I'm easy. :lol:

I saw Kings of Leon supporting the Pixies the other night.

They're ok.

For a Status Quo tribute band. :reject:

vertigo openers are MUCH better than Elevation openers.

pj Harvey is about as good as KOL.
but killers, keane, razorlight, kaiserchiefs, frans f, snow patrol, bravery, interpol, BRMC are better than no doubt, garbage, and stereophonics

marik said:
vertigo openers are MUCH better than Elevation openers.

pj Harvey is about as good as KOL.
but killers, keane, razorlight, kaiserchiefs, frans f, snow patrol, bravery, interpol, BRMC are better than no doubt, garbage, and stereophonics

None of those bands you listed is better than Garbage. Not one.

I would have LOVED to see Garbage as an opener. And I'm glad to see someone else likes Kings of Leon.

Granted, they're much better on record than they were live, but they have some good tunes - The Bucket, Molly's Chambers, King of the Rodeo.

I don't see what all the fuss is about Kings of Leon. They rocked both times I've saw them and their album is full of great guitar work.

Vertigo tour has a hell of alot better opening bands than Elevation. PJ was a bit overated (thought she'll be alot better) and No Doubt was too poppy. Popmart I saw Third Eyed Blind :no: I think I would have shot myself or put my head in a inflatable lemon at the Popmart if I saw Smash Mouth.

Interpol and The Bravery at Glasgow and Manchester were 2 of the worst live bands I have ever seen, and I have been to over 300 gigs.

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club were pretty cool.

My all-time fave opening acts I've seen open for U2:

1) Oasis (Oakland Popmart)
2) No Doubt (Oakland Elevation)
3) Rage Against the Machine (LA Popmart)

And the worst:

1) Nelly Furtado (London Elevation)
2) Skunk Anise (Rotterdam Popmart)

PJ Harvey on Zooropa Tour, Glasgow - :whistle: Could just have been a bad night, but BOOORING all the same!

The Seahorses on Popmart Tour, Edinburgh - :down: Decent enough band, but not for a U2 crowd.

Kelis on Elevation tour, Manchester - :barf: In the name of God, WHY?

Interpol on Vertigo Tour, Glasgow - :slant: Had to be woken up after their set

BRMC on Vertigo Tour, Glasgow - :rockon: Rock 'n' roll baby! My best support band so far.

Talking of support bands....

Anyone know what become of the following bands I have witnessed supporting U2 ?

Hurrah! - NEC 1987
The Subterraneans - Cork 87
Long Pigs - Giants Stadium and Wembley 97
Audioweb - Prague 97
Coldplay - Dublin 01
JJ72 - London and Dublin 01

KEVIN051269 said:

Hurrah! - NEC 1987
The Subterraneans - Cork 87
Long Pigs - Giants Stadium and Wembley 97
Audioweb - Prague 97
Coldplay - Dublin 01
JJ72 - London and Dublin 01

Longpigs...ugh. They are my nomination for the worst opening band ever, and I did have the misfortune of seeing them at both places you cited. Also had the misfortune of catching the Pogues on the Joshua Tree tour in NYC. Missed Smash Mouth, fortunately. :wink: Yes, whatever did happen to JJ72, got their album at the time and I liked it.

Too bad Coldplay hasn't been able to move out of relative obscurity and all, although they are actually still playing, actually have a ticket to see them at this intimate venue called Madison Square Garden in a couple of weeks. :wink:

KEVIN051269 said:

Long Pigs - Giants Stadium

Shit - I saw that show - and boy did they suck. Didn' t Primus play too? They suck also (but in a good way :rockon: )

I think Garbage was great, and as I did not know PJ's music (aside from her backup to Nick Cave) I honestly thought she rocked MSG.

I give U2 credit for choosing all these younger bands to open in Europe (as an old foagy, I don't know any of 'em) but I cannot think of a better band to open for them in the US on leg 3 than Audioslave.

I think they would jump at the chance.

Look at some of the Stones openers:

METALLICA
MAROON 5
THE TRAGICALLY HIP
OUR LADY PEACE,
WILCO,
BUDDY GUY
TREY ANASTASIO
BECK
PEARL JAM

I mean HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pop Artist said:

Too bad Coldplay hasn't been able to move out of relative obscurity and all, although they are actually still playing, actually have a ticket to see them at this intimate venue called Madison Square Garden in a couple of weeks. :wink:

Really?! :ohmy: Perhaps they are a bit like Rush....Big in the USA relativley unheard of elsewhere :shrug:

ouizy said:

Shit - I saw that show - and boy did they suck. Didn' t Primus play too? They suck also (but in a good way :rockon: )

I think Garbage was great, and as I did not know PJ's music (aside from her backup to Nick Cave) I honestly thought she rocked MSG.

I give U2 credit for choosing all these younger bands to open in Europe (as an old foagy, I don't know any of 'em) but I cannot think of a better band to open for them in the US on leg 3 than Audioslave.

I think they would jump at the chance.

Look at some of the Stones openers:

METALLICA
MAROON 5
THE TRAGICALLY HIP
OUR LADY PEACE,
WILCO,
BUDDY GUY
TREY ANASTASIO
BECK
PEARL JAM

I mean HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol its ok, sounds like your getting keane, :p personally i dont really like keane, they seem pretty big over here though

and arcade fire sound pretty cool aswell :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom