Vertigo seems longer now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kevink

The Fly
I remember my first impression of Vertigo was how fast paced it was and how it seemed too short. Vertigo is longer than a handful of other U2 songs I can think of (Sweetest Thing, Desire, In God's Country, for example), but while listening to those other songs they don't seem to be that short. Now after listening to Vertigo repeatedly for 3 weeks and becoming used to it, it doesn't seem so short. Maybe that's a good thing because I have accepted it for the great song that it is, how it is. Am I just crazy or has anyone else noticed this effect too?

I definitely have! I think it's because when you first hear a song (for the first few weeks) you are so pumped on adrenaline and you just want to hear what's next in the song, what'll happen. Now that it's settled in, we can just enjoy each part, and it makes it seem longer...

I haven't heard the remixes yet, but it would be teriffic to hear an extended 6 or 7 minute version a la Lady with the Spinning Head

Tizer said:
Nah, works best as a short piece of rock n roll.

i second that...

...anyone know if a copy exists with that sound they were banging on about? the one sounding like the plug being pulled...

also, i hear there is a version with an extended ....'and nooobooodddy gets hurt'...is this copy out there?

The Jacknife Lee 12'' is better.

I love the "The Unforgettable Fire" style intro!

But i think that Vertigo (regular version) seems longer - and better - than when i heard it for the first weeks.

After I listened to the 2 minute cut of 'Vertigo' from the Apple iTunes video, Vertigo seems much longer to me. I almost prefer the 2 minute cut, which ditches the multiple bridges, cuts out a chorus, and shortens the opening. It's much more immediate and 'dance-able' (sic).

Back
Top Bottom