US Politics XXXVIII: "Patriots" vs Reality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Still thinking one or both of the current presidential front-runners will not be the eventual nominees for their parties in 2024 :hmm:

I just watched a portion of an interview with Secretary Pete, I wish he would run for 24. I was impressed by him four years ago and I still am. Intelligence, dignity, class, kindness, empathy. Goes on Fox News and slays them with all of those qualities.

He wouldn't need the votes of the homophobes who wouldn't vote for him just because he's gay. Ridiculous that it would even be an issue, but the way this country is right now sadly it would be.

I just watched a portion of an interview with Secretary Pete, I wish he would run for 24. I was impressed by him four years ago and I still am. Intelligence, dignity, class, kindness, empathy. Goes on Fox News and slays them with all of those qualities.

He wouldn't need the votes of the homophobes who wouldn't vote for him just because he's gay. Ridiculous that it would even be an issue, but the way this country is right now sadly it would be.

I agree 100%.
Pete possesses many qualities that would make for a good President. He's so much more intelligent than the front runners of both parties currently. It's a shame that intelligence isn't something most voters value. Instead the masses prefer a guy who spells stolen "stollen" every single time.

I agree 100%.
Pete possesses many qualities that would make for a good President. He's so much more intelligent than the front runners of both parties currently. It's a shame that intelligence isn't something most voters value. Instead the masses prefer a guy who spells stolen "stollen" every single time.

I third this. I hope he runs in 28.

https://twitter.com/lawofruby/status/1721556616586182687?t=pqunNKp6EASd7R1f-vE5Bg&s=19

simpsons-hook-it-to-my-veins.gif

it's going to be biden vs trump next year, unless one of them drops dead before then. it's far too late for any other options.

The Dems would be really really dumb to drop Biden if he's still sharp. Running someone his age is not my top choice, but the Dems would royally fuck up their next selection. This election is way too important for purity tests or fucking around.

I agree with the Pete B, as he is so well spoken. I know he's not liberal enough for some, but I think Biden shows playing to the center is the way to beat Trump/GQP.

I also lean towards the Gov of Michigan and Penn as strong runners if it wasn't Trump.

Regarding Orange man, I see Cannon is basically delaying the case by million paper cuts. No chance it is seated before November 2024. It does look like the DC case will happen in March. So that's the best chance to see if Republicans stick with a convicted felon as their nominee.

Why 28? He is needed now

Buttigieg would be an impressive candidate any time he might decide to run again. His stint as transportation secretary has been a 'meh,' but no one (including me) is too interested in that.

I don't think he tries to replace President Biden for '24.

If and when Buttigieg does run again, he has a lot of work getting voters of color out to vote for him. Particularly in the Southeast.

The Dems would be really really dumb to drop Biden if he's still sharp. Running someone his age is not my top choice, but the Dems would royally fuck up their next selection.

Age really is just a number.

We've watched and listened to President Biden for the last 3+ years. Do you find the president to be sharp?

I sure wish we could have a well qualified woman candidate and woman President. I think the candidate could happen sooner rather than later(already did in my opinion so I'll say again) but I'll most likely be dead before the US has a female President.

Misogyny is more alive and well these days than it has been before. Powerful women also seem to be threatening to many people, to both men and women.

Last edited:
The Dems would be really really dumb to drop Biden if he's still sharp. Running someone his age is not my top choice, but the Dems would royally fuck up their next selection. This election is way too important for purity tests or fucking around.

I agree with the Pete B, as he is so well spoken. I know he's not liberal enough for some, but I think Biden shows playing to the center is the way to beat Trump/GQP.

I also lean towards the Gov of Michigan and Penn as strong runners if it wasn't Trump.

Regarding Orange man, I see Cannon is basically delaying the case by million paper cuts. No chance it is seated before November 2024. It does look like the DC case will happen in March. So that's the best chance to see if Republicans stick with a convicted felon as their nominee.

Georgia as well. And Cannon won’t have the means to delay the trial that long. She’s already shown that she won’t be willing to put her career on the line for this.

What makes you say it's worse than before?

Well we just had a misogynistic President for four years, there's that. As a woman I believe he is, he most definitely quacks like a duck in that regard. No man says the things he says publicly about women without having misogynistic leanings or just being one. It's not "locker room talk". Then there's his reported private behavior.

Then there are the obvious attempts and successes at taking away our autonomy over our own bodies.

Georgia as well. And Cannon won’t have the means to delay the trial that long. She’s already shown that she won’t be willing to put her career on the line for this.

the lovely part about the "ehrmagad der skie es fallen" reactions to the poll numbers showing trump leading in most battlegrounds currently is that the exact same poll has those numbers flipping 180 degrees if trump is convicted in any of these cases.

his business empire is about to be crippled.

all of his codefendants in georgia are flipping - one by one.

breath, folks. it's going to be a long year.

the lovely part about the "ehrmagad der skie es fallen" reactions to the poll numbers showing trump leading in most battlegrounds currently is that the exact same poll has those numbers flipping 180 degrees if trump is convicted in any of these cases.

his business empire is about to be crippled.

all of his codefendants in georgia are flipping - one by one.

breath, folks. it's going to be a long year.

Yep, and that poll was for registered voters. Likely Voters is always the better measurement.

I don't think she cares about that as she has shown in other cases to be pretty amateurish.

If Jack were to jump in right now and take this to the 11th, all it will do is cause more delay. I think his chance to get her replaced and go to trial before November 2024 has passed.

Not saying he's just gonna take her bullshit, but this is the case that will take the longest.

GA case, they are predicting potential 4-6 months just to find a jury.

It will come back to the case in DC. The judge doesn't seem to be messing around.

the prospects of another election year with that scumbag on the ballot - combined with two brutal wars that threaten to spin out of control - has me begging for the calendar to slow down

Agree. Throw in some polls (which not sure any of them are accurate anymore) that states 48% of 18-24 year olds are sympathetic to Hamas.....kinda makes you wonder if the kids AREN'T alright.

My hopes are people are venting their frustrations and come to some senses in a year. But I do get it, the younger generations are completely fucked in so many ways.

Age really is just a number.

We've watched and listened to President Biden for the last 3+ years. Do you find the president to be sharp?

Yes, I do find him sharp. Do I find he walks like he's 500 years old, yes. I don't care if he needs a walker. He's in the position and I don't really know anyone else that beats the GQP in 2024.

Now I've never found Biden to be the sharpest talker off the cuff. Probably to do with his stuttering, but he also tends to speak loosely too.

When Biden has a speech, much like Obama and I find Biden to be even stronger in this case, Biden pours out empathy and kindness. Obama would inspire you, Biden comforts.

Compared to ANYONE on the other side of isle, Biden is sharp as a nail.

I don't think she cares about that as she has shown in other cases to be pretty amateurish.

If Jack were to jump in right now and take this to the 11th, all it will do is cause more delay. I think his chance to get her replaced and go to trial before November 2024 has passed.

Not saying he's just gonna take her bullshit, but this is the case that will take the longest.

GA case, they are predicting potential 4-6 months just to find a jury.

It will come back to the case in DC. The judge doesn't seem to be messing around.

I've never heard of a jury selection taking 4-6 months. I doubt that's accurate.

U.S., European officials broach topic of peace negotiations with Ukraine, sources say
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/...peace-negotiations-ukraine-sources-rcna123628

....The conversations have included very broad outlines of what Ukraine might need to give up to reach a deal, the officials said. Some of the talks, which officials described as delicate, took place last month during a meeting of representatives from more than 50 nations supporting Ukraine, including NATO members, known as the Ukraine Defense Contact Group, the officials said.

The discussions are an acknowledgment of the dynamics militarily on the ground in Ukraine and politically in the U.S. and Europe, officials said.

They began amid concerns among U.S. and European officials that the war has reached a stalemate and about the ability to continue providing aid to Ukraine, officials said. Biden administration officials also are worried that Ukraine is running out of forces, while Russia has a seemingly endless supply, officials said. Ukraine is also struggling with recruiting and has recently seen public protests about some of President Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s open-ended conscription requirements.

And there is unease in the U.S. government with how much less public attention the war in Ukraine has garnered since the Israel-Hamas war began nearly a month ago, the officials said. Officials fear that shift could make securing additional aid for Kyiv more difficult.

Some U.S. military officials have privately begun using the term “stalemate” to describe the current battle in Ukraine, with some saying it may come down to which side can maintain a military force the longest. Neither side is making large strides on the battlefield, which some U.S. officials now describe as a war of inches.

I've never heard of a jury selection taking 4-6 months. I doubt that's accurate.

The reason for a long process to find a jury is if they believe the trial will go on for months, trying to find people who can take that much time off of work or are available for that length of time really narrows the pool of jurors down.

None of this will be fast and easy. They've all shown they will file appeal after appeal.

One example of what could be in store for future is even if Trump is found guilty, he can appeal that and still be free. Steve Bannon was convicted how long ago and allowed to remain free. He's been doing his radio/tv show for how long while awaiting? A year?

I know it all comes across as doom and gloom, cause who is Trump going to pick up in new supporters?

I think the doom and gloom is the fact that the Democratic party could easily stay home because of whatever bullshit excuse they find. 80 years old. US backed Genocide of Gaza. Inflation.

We are a nation of idiots, and that should give any of us pause in thinking Trump is toast no matter what his fate is legally.

Even if we took away the shit show that is Trump and his legal processes, can we really state that the nation and world is in a good place? That doesn't usually bode well for an incumbent

Hope to fuck to be wrong and in 52 weeks it's not even a close contest.

Back
Top Bottom