US Politics XXXVII: hiiiii Kevin, I’m your biggest fan!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ClearRadiantKilldeer-size_restricted.gif

Trump probably watched that coronation and had all sorts of delusions about having one of those for himself.

I have soured on the British royal family stuff. The whole notion is ludicrous in 2023. I admired some things about Queen Elizabeth. But the cost, the history of racism and colonialism, the drama, the gossip, the fake power, all of it is such a mess. Harry had the right idea to get away, regardless of any mistakes he has made in the process.

The carriage, the robes, the holy oil, Queen Camilla ugh. I had to be up at 5 this morning and it was on, could only stand about 10 minutes of it.

Threw in the African American gospel choir because...

I wonder if anyone in the royal family laughed/smirked at that the way they did during Harry and Meghan's wedding.

The carriage, the robes, the holy oil, Queen Camilla ugh. I had to be up at 5 this morning and it was on, could only stand about 10 minutes of it.

Judging by Charles’ expression throughout I think he felt the same. The man does not inspire respect the way his mother did.

It’s easy enough to ignore the Royal family most of the time and treat them as a tourist attraction. But the pomp and pageantry today just feels so undeserved in this point in history. Queen Elizabeth II was a true source of inspiration and pride for many Brits, someone from a bygone age who never lost their touch. Without her they’re nothing more than infighting, tax sucking diplomats.

here comes the apache helicopter to blessedly fire a couple of anointed sidewinders and end all this ridiculousness.

Seems like a nice tradition. It's not like they're throwing a party like this every few years.

[UK politics thread]

this stupid ceremony is the most ridiculous medieval bullshit i've ever seen. and i fully expected and wanted to be impressed and wowed by the historical scope and context and uniqueness of it all.

we're about half a step away from pages trotting in banging coconut shells. if anything, the absurdity of this spectacle is just going to create a whole lot more people for a british republic.

if william tries to do anything remotely like this he's going to get his head chopped off by his own people (a family tradition).

[/UK politics thread]

Except they love this shit over there

Seems like a nice tradition. It's not like they're throwing a party like this every few years.

Between royal weddings and jubilees every 10 years, yes they are.

Why this country gives a shit is beyond me. Why anyone gives a shit is beyond me. They have the monarchy, we have the Kardashians. Dumb.

Longest Jan 6th related sentence so far

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/man-who-pepper-sprayed-police-gets-14-years-longest-jan-6-related-sentence-2023-05-06/

I have MAGA neighbors 3 houses down. Their last name is Sixth and just out that they're naming their baby "Jan".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2023/05/05/jan6-sentence-longest-schwartz/
The judge said he also took into account Schwartz’s long criminal history — 38 previous convictions, including at least 11 involving violence or threats of violence. At the time of the riot, Schwartz was on probation for domestic abuse and threatening domestic abuse.

A real prize, this one.

Who amongst us hasn’t been in the same subway car as a shouty homeless man and then put him in a stranglehold for 15 minutes until he dies?

I spent a few years in New York, and I did this at least half a dozen times, as I’m sure the rest of you have as well.

And then the libs call you a murderer.

The Manhattan DA's office is in the middle of the investigation.

The mayor asked the public to wait to pass judgement. I know that's not your thing.

The Manhattan DA's office is in the middle of the investigation.

The mayor asked the public to wait to pass judgement. I know that's not your thing.

I’m happy to see that elected officials are behaving responsibly at this time.

I am not an elected official.

Brownsville Crash Suspect George Alvarez's Criminal History Released
https://www.newsweek.com/brownsville-crash-suspect-george-alvarezs-criminal-history-released-1799000

During a press conference on Monday, Brownsville Police Chief Felix Sauceda announced the identity of the suspect and said that in addition to being charged with eight counts of manslaughter and 10 counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, Alvarez also was "a Brownsville local with an extensive RAP sheet."

Police then showed a photo of Alvarez and a list of his previous charges, which included aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, assault of a public servant, burglary of a vehicle, assault causing bodily injury, criminal mischief, driving while intoxicated, evading arrest, interference with public duties, possession of marijuana, and theft of property.

....During the press conference on Monday, Sauceda said that shortly after driving into the bus stop, Alvarez attempted to flee the scene, "but was held down by several individuals."

According to the AP, Brownsville police investigator Martin Sandoval said on Sunday that police were still working to find a motive for the crash.

"It could be intoxication; it could be an accident; or it could be intentional. In order for us to find out exactly what happened, we have to eliminate the other two," Sandoval said. "He's being very uncooperative at the hospital, but he will be transported to our city jail as soon as he gets released."

Or maybe that was the outdoor outlet mall killer. So much hate, so many killers...tough to remember.

Yes it was the mall mass murderer

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom