Upperthong, West Yorkshire Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:

Oh, yeah, I can already think of places I would love to photograph. Check out, for instance, Denniston, now a ghost town but formerly one of the most significant coal mining towns in the rugged West Coast region.

There you go. I'm sure people would buy a book like that. Don't ever think that you can't do something because others don't in that field.

I love ghost towns. I think that would be a neat place to explore.

Screwtape2 said:

There you go. I'm sure people would buy a book like that. Don't ever think that you can't do something because others don't in that field.

I love ghost towns. I think that would be a neat place to explore.

It does break somewhat out of the academic mould - but I get the increasing feeling that the academic mould, through decades and centuries of tradition, has become too restrictive and needs to be challenged anyway. The best academics do that.

Ghost towns absolutely fascinate me. Understandably, there aren't really that many in this part of the world since it's so young, but places like Denniston are gems. I just wish it were easier for me to get to them!

Axver said:

It does break somewhat out of the academic mould - but I get the increasing feeling that the academic mould, through decades and centuries of tradition, has become too restrictive and needs to be challenged anyway. The best academics do that.

Good, you're thinking big. You could even start a history blog documenting what you are studying or planning to explore. Your gift to the world might be to renew interest in Kiwi history. If you really want to then anything is possible. Good luck!

Screwtape2 said:

Good, you're thinking big. You could even start a history blog documenting what you are studying or planning to explore. Your gift to the world might be to renew interest in Kiwi history. If you really want to then anything is possible. Good luck!

Thanks. :)

I've thought of making some kind of blog or website of "on this day in New Zealand history", highlighting bizarre historical events that people might enjoy reading about. That would require a fair deal of time, though, time I don't have right now.

And renew interest in Kiwi history? I'm not sure there was much in the first place. :wink:

(Actually, I sort of tell a lie there. In the early 1900s, there seems to have been in some American and European quarters a minor fascination with New Zealand. Shame it didn't last or anything.)

If I become a comic book writer I am going to have a website with a blog and forum to stay in touch with the fans. I would also do what almost nobody in the industry does, I will read fan concepts and fan comics. I figure it is the least that I could give back if I break into the industry.

phanan said:
How's it going?

I'm actually doing work right now. Sort of. I was chugging along nicely with an essay on the democratic peace thesis when I was struck with an idea for my Honours year thesis. Now I'm trying to write crap on democratic parties resorting to terrorism while thinking about the interplay between transport networks and political influence in nineteenth century New Zealand.

How about yourself?

Axver said:

I'm actually doing work right now. Sort of. I was chugging along nicely with an essay on the democratic peace thesis when I was struck with an idea for my Honours year thesis. Now I'm trying to write crap on democratic parties resorting to terrorism while thinking about the interplay between transport networks and political influence in nineteenth century New Zealand.

How about yourself?

I had to go to the dentist this morning.

I hate the dentist.

Axver said:

Thanks. :)

I've thought of making some kind of blog or website of "on this day in New Zealand history", highlighting bizarre historical events that people might enjoy reading about. That would require a fair deal of time, though, time I don't have right now.

And renew interest in Kiwi history? I'm not sure there was much in the first place. :wink:

(Actually, I sort of tell a lie there. In the early 1900s, there seems to have been in some American and European quarters a minor fascination with New Zealand. Shame it didn't last or anything.)

I think the blog or website idea is great. Too bad you don't have the time. I think it would get a good response. Axver's Day In New Zealand History. It has a ring to it. :wink:

Screwtape2 said:

I went to the dentist a few days again. :down:

I had deep scaling done at the end of last year after neglecting my teeth for so long, and it was the worst. Now I have to go every three months to make sure they are doing ok.

I made sure to clean them myself real good before I went this morning. I think it helped. :lol:

However, I haven't eaten anything yet today because of that, so now I'm starving and need to get something.

phanan said:

I had to go to the dentist this morning.

I hate the dentist.

My main problem with the dentist is not what they actually do, but how much they charge. Fuckin' highway robbery.

Screwtape2 said:

What happened?

Got a mediocre review/small raise at work (despite the fact that I've been told numerous times I'm the best worker in my department), got a D on a test, my iPod/iTunes have been having some sort of weird syncing issue or possibly my usb port drivers need to be updated (which I don't know how to do), and my girlfriend decided to drop the bomb that she doesn't know if she wants to stay with me because she doesn't know if she'd still love me in 40 years.

the tourist said:

Got a mediocre review/small raise at work (despite the fact that I've been told numerous times I'm the best worker in my department), got a D on a test, my iPod/iTunes have been having some sort of weird syncing issue or possibly my usb port drivers need to be updated (which I don't know how to do), and my girlfriend decided to drop the bomb that she doesn't know if she wants to stay with me because she doesn't know if she'd still love me in 40 years.

Oh my god. That sucks. I can't believe your girlfriend would say that to you. :yikes:

phanan said:

Axver's Day

Sounds like a future New Zealand holiday.

:lol:

Everybody sits around drinking wine, creating U2 setlists, and photographing trains.

I am so down with a day like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom