Unpopular U2 Songs That You Like

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DevilsShoes

War Child
Despite the clear antipathy people feel for Miami over on 'least favourite tracks from the last three albums' thread, I have to say that I really don't mind it. Sure in terms of its overall place in the U2 canon it ranks pretty low, but I still find it one of the most interesting things on Pop and it slots seamlesly into place on that album.

I really enjoy the songs travelogue quality, it manages to effectively capture that strange mix between the mundane and the bizarre often experienced when going on a jouney. The lyrics are pretty evocative too, they conjure up images of people and places very well indeed, sometimes flippant, sometimes surreal and sometimes sinister.

Bono's vocal is somewhat off-key and I can understand how that could detract from people's enjoyment, but for me it seems to make sense within the song, which has a skewed and out of focus quality anyway, plus that continuous synthesizer melody and relentless drumbeat work well against the initial impression of this track being nothing more than a happy holiday snapshot. Not only that but it also concludes with Bono screaming at the top of his lungs for one last time in the nineties.

It'll probably never be anyone's favourite U2 track, but I don't think its entirely without merit.

Any unpopular tracks that you have a fondness for?

All because of you gets trashed routinely on here- it's one of my favorite tracks of the decade. People begged for rock on the last album, they did it and did it pretty well - the second half of the song is awesome- and people seemingly loathe the song. one of my favorites.

Miami i do enjoy, moreso the live versions but I do enjoy the album version too.

Stuck in a moment is also routinely harshly treated and it's also one of my favorites. ditto in a little while.

I really enjoy the songs travelogue quality, it manages to effectively capture that strange mix between the mundane and the bizarre often experienced when going on a jouney. The lyrics are pretty evocative too, they conjure up images of people and places very well indeed, sometimes flippant, sometimes surreal and sometimes sinister.

Bono's vocal is somewhat off-key and I can understand how that could detract from people's enjoyment, but for me it seems to make sense within the song, which has a skewed and out of focus quality anyway, plus that continuous synthesizer melody and relentless drumbeat work well against the initial impression of this track being nothing more than a happy holiday snapshot. Not only that but it also concludes with Bono screaming at the top of his lungs for one last time in the nineties.

I love you.

I like Miami, especially live. The "cuba" snippet and Edge guitar is really cool.

Also a big fan of Some Days Are Better Than Others, Wake Up Dead Man, New York

Okay to answer the thread's question...

Is That All :rockon:
Red Light :dance:
Refugee :rockon:
Love Rescue Me :heart:
Numb :love:
Miami :rockon:
Peace On Earth :sad: :heart:

All cracking songs!

The Playboy Mansion. Edge's guitar work on that one is so cool, as is Bono's falsetto near the end.

Also, Some Days is unbelievable if you ignore the lyrics. Actually, I don't even think the lyrics are all that bad.

Oh, and pretty much all of HTDAAB.

Crumbs from Your Table is about it. U2 fans are generally pretty good at pegging the weaker tracks.

Is That All is laughably bad. It sounds like they took about 5 minutes max to write it and then recorded it without thinking of any particular arrangement to use.

Jerusalem (With a Shout)

Acrobat

Endless Deep

Love Comes Tumbling

Wire (I JUST LOVE IT!)

Which of those are unpopular?

Acrobat, Wire, and Love Comes Tumbling are very popular among U2 fans.

I think the point of this thread was to pick songs most U2 fans dislike by U2.

MIAMI! MY MAMMY!

I used to hate it, but then I heard the live version. All was forgiven.

Elvis Presley and America is in my top three U2 songs. It's a dark beauty, and a song in which Bono assumes a character brilliantly. I always hate to see it get slammed around here.

I also love In A Little While, which seems to get a fair amount of bashing. I think it may be one of the last times we ever really hear Bono's falsetto, and it's pretty little blue-eyed soul song.

ETA: I just noticed the IALW appreciation thread :lol:

Is That All is laughably bad. It sounds like they took about 5 minutes max to write it and then recorded it without thinking of any particular arrangement to use.

I really dig most of October. I'd say the laughably bad stuff is mostly Bono's fault. Weak lyrics, shaky melodies, and sub-par performances throughout, especially on Is That All. But I admire the other 3 guys' performances on that record. It could've been a worthy sophomore record.

My favorite hated U2 song is Stuck in a Moment.

I really dig most of October. I'd say the laughably bad stuff is mostly Bono's fault. Weak lyrics, shaky melodies, and sub-par performances throughout, especially on Is That All. But I admire the other 3 guys' performances on that record. It could've been a worthy sophomore record.

True. There are some wonderful songs on it, but far too much filler for a band as great as U2. If Fire, With A Shout, and Is That All were erased from existence, it wouldn't bother me at all.

The Playboy Mansion. Edge's guitar work on that one is so cool, as is Bono's falsetto near the end.

Also, Some Days is unbelievable if you ignore the lyrics. Actually, I don't even think the lyrics are all that bad.

Oh, and pretty much all of HTDAAB.

:applaud:

The Playboy Mansion was one of my favs from POP the first time I heard it, and still is. Love the trip-hop/R&B thing going on there. Such a great beat, especially when it changes for the outro.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom