Unpopular musical opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For the most part I'd agree, but I do plan on starting a "No Line on the Horizon - What do B&Cers think?" thread so I don't have to sift through the EYKIW wasteland for fair and balanced reactions.

I pay so little attention to the endless ramblings about horrifyingly bad clips of sound and Bono descriptions of songs that I just freaked out and thought this song had leaked or something. You made me just go look at that "new album guessing" shit, In My Place. I R madz now.

I'd like to say that there are indeed some unpopular opinions here. Opinions that horrify and disturb me mixed with a few I can understand.

-You have absolutely no idea what "metal", "punk", "hip hop", or any other genre is if you're basing your opinions on it from what you've heard on the radio or on MTV.

-At one point, AFI was making some of the most interesting and unique music in the music industry. Unfortunately, that changed drastically.

For the most part I'd agree, but I do plan on starting a "No Line on the Horizon - What do B&Cers think?" thread so I don't have to sift through the EYKIW wasteland for fair and balanced reactions.

You know, come to think of it... many of us would probably be more happy on a general music site than a U2 fan site. And that's not a slight against Interference... just that many of us have probably moved on from being U2 nuts to more.. simply, music nuts!

I don't have time to look through this whole thread, but I'm hoping that GAF was honest and said that his taste is music is shit (ex: see his name).

You should feel blessed that you don't have my taste in music. If you did, you'd be living in constant fear of your head exploding due to an over-exposure to awesomeness. It's rough, but it's my cross to bear.

You know, come to think of it... many of us would probably be more happy on a general music site than a U2 fan site. And that's not a slight against Interference... just that many of us have probably moved on from being U2 nuts to more.. simply, music nuts!

I was always a music nut first.

Just, still, like U2 more than any other band.

I was always a music nut first.

Just, still, like U2 more than any other band.

Yeah, I love U2 as much as I ever have. The thing is, unlike so many posters in EYKIW, those of us here in B&C have the capacity to understand that there are other acts out there. U2 is still my favorite act going presently, but that doesn't diminish the greatness of the others, and vice versa. An album that's wonderful doesn't become any less wonderful because there's another that has your full attention at the moment. When U2 decides to release the new album, I'll be there.

Well... actually I was a music nut first too, actually. :hmm: But my U2 craziness peaked in the 90s and now I think I'm back to being a general music nut! :lol:

I'm fairly sure that I listened to U2 a lot more often when I was in HS/College, but my overall passion for them has not waned.

As I've often said, interference, for all of the insanity and ridiculousness that goes on, has still proven to be invaluable for me when it comes to "new" music. From GAF to Scumbo, I find most people's tastes to be interesting, and I've really added a decent lists of artists to my favorites that I doubt I'd know of if not for this site.

Yeah, I love U2 as much as I ever have. The thing is, unlike so many posters in EYKIW, those of us here in B&C have the capacity to understand that there are other acts out there. U2 is still my favorite act going presently, but that doesn't diminish the greatness of the others, and vice versa. An album that's wonderful doesn't become any less wonderful because there's another that has your full attention at the moment. When U2 decides to release the new album, I'll be there.

Completely agree. I do not take the popularity of other bands as an affront to U2 or my liking of U2. Not sure why that happens. But, you hit the nail on the head, and that's why I post in B&C and very rarely do I post in EYKIW.

Here's my big one: classical music is NOT just for university professors or people who want to make themselves appear more intelligent than they actually are. It's wonderful and well worth looking into -- don't let the "classical music is boring" stereotype turn you away. There are times when I actually feel more in touch with, say, Shostakovich or Chopin than I do with any modern form of popular music.

:up: Well said.

Michael Stipe is the greatest bald, white, homosexual frontman to ever come out of Athens, Georgia.

:lol: And quite possibly the only one...

Tupac Shakur was one of the most brilliant musical artists of the last quarter century.

YES! :hi5:

Mine:
-I don't have the slightest idea why Pink Floyd are such a big deal, other than DSOTM, I can't stand them.

-Though the '90s will probably be remembered for the horrific musical stylings of Vanilla Ice and 75 million boy bands, the decade put out some of the best music of the last 30-40 years.

The Smiths wouldn't have been anywhere near as good without Andy Rourke's bass playing
The Dresden Dolls/Amanda Palmer's albums are possibly the best first three albums by any artist ever
Neon Bible is as good as Funeral
A Storm in Heaven is the weakest Verve album
The Boomtown Rats are one of the best bands from the punk/new wave era
Accelerate is all energy and no good songs
KT Tunstall is one of the best singer-songwriters of the last decade
Blood Sugar Sex Magik is a bad album, a really bad album
Richard Ashcroft's solo music is great and up there with a lot of the Verve's stuff
Franz Ferdinand's second album is boring and just average
The Velvet Underground and Nico is not an amazing album
The Counting Crows are the worst live band in music

Funeral is miles better than Neon Bible. The latter sounds like the band trying to capitalize on the musical successes of the former, but without the bitter emotional edge that made it so gripping in the first place. I wouldn't be the fan of them that I am today if they were just a group that was a sucker for the grandiose. I love them because their music moves me. Perhaps the next record will.

Of course I listened to Neon Bible first. Maybe that has something to do with my appreciation of NB more than Funeral. I do like track 1 from Funeral... a lot!!

Also, I agree that Blood Sugar Sex Magik is a mess. I like about 3-4 songs on it, maybe. Suck My Kiss is kind of fun.

Neon Bible is much better than Funeral!!!

While I don't share my associates exuberance for this point, I also prefer Neon Bible to Funeral, but by a small margin. Both feel like "complete" albums to me, and have absolutely killer tracks... I just think there are more killer tracks on Neon Bible than on Funeral.

"Wake Up," "Tunnels," "Crown of Love," and "Rebellion" are 4 of the best songs of the past 8 years, I'd say, but "Antichrist Television Blues," "Keep the Car Running," "No Cars Fucking Go," "Black Mirror," and "Ocean of Noise" are just as good, if not better.

One thing that firmly makes Neon Bible better than Funeral is that on that album, they actually know how to finish a song, and don't go into this weird, out-of-place dance-y thing after every epic track. Listen to the ends of "Wake Up" and "Crown of Love" and you'll see what I mean.

The only two RHCP albums I like are By the Way and Californiacation

Ryan Adams is overrated, and a prick

One Hot Minute beats Blood Sugar Sex Magik in terms of funk ("Walkabout," guys!) and sheer awesomeness, so it shouldn't be left out, but I agree with this one over here.

One thing that firmly makes Neon Bible better than Funeral is that on that album, they actually know how to finish a song, and don't go into this weird, out-of-place dance-y thing after every epic track. Listen to the ends of "Wake Up" and "Crown of Love" and you'll see what I mean.

Don't understand this complaint, never will. Oh well. :shrug:

- Kid A almost entirely sucks, including "Everything in Its Right Place."

- John Frusciante is better than Red Hot Chili Peppers.

- It's impossible to listen the whole way through a Bob Dylan album.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom