um....WTF???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Discoteque

Rock n' Roll Doggie
but seriously folks....

I was at my local grocery store the other day and while in the checkout line, saw a teenage girl wearing a white t-shirt, and written on the front of the shirt in big black letters was: F*** ME. (not you)

First of all, I should not have been shocked, but I was. Some people might have found it funny, but I found it very offensive, and I'm no prude, believe me. People have started lawsuits over much less.

Secondly, WHY would the girl's parents let her wear/own anything like that in the first place? (and then let her out in public with it?) Freedom of speech? Oh please. Yep, I'm going to say it: she's just asking for trouble wearing a shirt like that.

I wanted to tell her "you better be careful with that shirt, because somebody just might take you up on that," but said nothing. I'm sure she likes the shock value. But if I were a cop, I think I'd bust her for indecency or whatever....

Your thoughts?

To each their own I suppose, but I can't see the attraction in wearing a shirt like that.

I remember when my brother was a teenager... he was a big "Alice In Chains" fan. So my aunt bought him a concert T-shirt not noticing that written on the back was Bleed the freak and I think a pic of Jesus hanging from the cross. Needless to say my parents made her take it back. :|

So I guess the moral of my story is this: yes it's disgusting. It suits no purpose. Come to think of it my post makes no sense, as they are two totally different things. :huh:

Last edited:
I saw a girl in LA with the same type of shirt but it was black with FUCK ME written in white letters about a million times all over it.

:huh:

Terrible.

As angel said each to their own

The girl CAN wear whatever she wants- people come to a certain age when they will do whatever they want or maybe her parents didnt know she was wearing the t-shirt??

I would never wear something like that and this girl IS asking for trouble by wearing it- but IF anything happens it's her own fault :|

we all get wild sometimes , maybe she's in high spirit of first time love ,

baby , baby light my way .... :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:

sulawesigirl4 said:

huh? "F*** me" = first time love? :huh: ummm, OK. :tsk:

Yeah, I'm with you Sula, I don't get the correlation... either way, it's disturbing to see something like that. Where are her parents?? I'm all for individuality and freedom of expression, but I believe that a shirt like that crosses the line... geez, when I was 16, the cool thing for girls to wear were champion brand sweatshirts. Boy have times changed...

not much can be done about it though.

this is the society that has been created.

I don't see why anybody should be upset about this.

I find a statement like;
madonna's child said:
clearly, she's a slut...
much more disturbing seeing how it's based on nothing more than just a t-shirt.

Last edited:
Sheesh, and my parents had problems with some of the things I wore sometimes!!!!!!!!!!!! *lol*

Bonochick said:
Sheesh, and my parents had problems with some of the things I wore sometimes!!!!!!!!!!!! *lol*

Well can you blame them? When you were 14, you ran around in circles dressed up like a kangaroo!;)

Re: XXX

pinkfloyd said:
i think it's her own business .

you might think that....but it becomes others' business when she's out in public for all to read.

I agree with Kobayashi - this is the society we've wrought. *sarcasm* It's SO nice when people go through life respecting others. :slant: :tsk:

Re: Re: Re: XXX

martha said:

Kids don't grow up on their own; they are raised. If you don't want children like that, don't bring them up to be like that. You as a parent will make the difference.

But some kids are raised wonderfully and go astray....other ppl can influence them like their friends and the parents are unaware of what they are like when they aren't home

Please read this book. A good chunk of one of the essays has an hilarious bit about what people wear on t-shirts and why, observed from the author's visit to the Illinois State Fair. My book plug du jour. This book is a masterpiece.

wallace970203.gif

excerpt:
At the State Fair's Horse Complex, the horses have "tight hides and apple-sized eyes set on the sides of their heads like fish." Billy Ray Cyrus plays loudly on some stableboy's boom box. The place is full of Kmart people, the kind of people who own firearms and do not hunt, who aspire to own mobile homes, who wear T-shirts that say, "Warning: I go from 0 to horney in 2.5 beers."

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: XXX

martha said:
Kids don't grow up on their own; they are raised. If you don't want children like that, don't bring them up to be like that. You as a parent will make the difference.

Thats not always true.

Once they're old enough to start going to school you cant watch them and guide them the whole time they're at school.
Other kids are bound to influence them no matter what you say.

* which is one reason I dont want kids

haha Lara.. I posted this and just now read your post.. :up:

Re: Re: Re: Re: XXX

Lara Mullen said:

But some kids are raised wonderfully and go astray....other ppl can influence them like their friends and the parents are unaware of what they are like when they aren't home

True, but the kid's inner core of self-respect is nurtured by the parents. In the long run, this is a huge influence on the child.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: XXX

martha said:

True, but the kid's inner core of self-respect is nurtured by the parents. In the long run, this is a huge influence on the child.

I supose we are both right- it just depends on the individual and if they are prepared to follow the herd and be a sheep or listen to their parents words of wisdom

Martha :heart: ur sigs lol

Like some people have said, you can't just jump the gun and say stuff like "how can her parents let her out of the house?" etc. If her parents wouldn't approve of that shirt all she has to do is wear something over it and then take that off as soon as she's away from her parents. Not very tricky.

I agree that the shirt is pretty inappropriate thing to wear, but she can wear what she wants. She's probably just being rebellious and wanted to get attention.

Last edited:
What concerns me is that the line of what is acceptable keeps moving further and further out. What was wild 20 years ago is nothing today, which is fine but, where does it stop? I am not a prude either, but I don't think people should just run around doing anything they want to. At the same time I don't think it should be extreme the other way with people having to worry about not offending or bothering other people all the time either.

I'm probably not doing a very good job of making my point.

She should wear the shirt at home or around people she knows...not in public.

Back
Top Bottom