U2's chart jump in week 46! and why

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

womanfish

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
this week ATYCLB jumps up 12 spots in the U.S. Billboard charts! from 78 to 66 and is given the "Pacesetter" distinction!

They jumped up big the week last week because of their performance and Vangaurd award at the MTV awards. But why the jump this week? I have a theory:

With the tragic events that happened here, people are looking for music to sooth them, uplift them, ease their worry and pain. Are they gonna go and buy nsync or Snoop Dogg for that?!?!? I say NO! so while the sales this week may have been lowered because of all that went on (I am assuming) people still went out and bought U2 because it is hitting home with them. I say it is that and the increased airplay of Stuck and video for Stuck, along with airplay of other U2 songs like Peace on Earth and Walk On, etc... right now.

VERY COOL!!! YEAH!!!

[This message has been edited by womanfish (edited 09-20-2001).]

I think you are probably right. In a way, it's kinda sad that a terrible tragedy causes an increase in sales. However, ATYCLB truly is an album for the soul. It's being played on the radio all the time here in East Tennessee...where I rarely heard Walk On or Elevation when they were released. Now, I'm hearing Walk On, Stuck, POE, Kite, and plenty of songs from earlier albums.

Bubblegum POP just doesn't cut it when you want music that speaks about redemption, loss, grace, hope, sorrow, prayer, etc. MTV and VH1 have turned to U2 as well. When this tour returns - and the very announcement is probably helping sales - the Album could climb very high in the charts. Stuck appears to be a hit, the entire album is all over radio, grammie nods are coming, and then the tour. Maybe sales will top JT. I think that ATYCLB will get album of the year at the grammies because of it's resurgence nearly a year after it's release. It still feels a little weird, though, thinking about why it's making such a comeback. I'd like to think it's just because people are recognizing how great an album it is - all 11 songs. While the songs may be helping people cope, it is still so sad...it makes it kinda hard for me to be excited about the recent success.

Yeah, definitely not happy about why it may be rising in the charts, but I am happy that people can start to connect with U2 on a deeper level than they may have before and really appreciate this great album.

I don't really expect the album to climb much higher if at all. I can see it hanging steady for a few weeks, but climbing higher still seems like an unlikely possibility to me. I hope, but don't expect it. Still no sign of stuck on the charts which is weird because i hear it a lot.

I am also not putting much hope in the grammy awards. While I think U2 does deserve album of the year, the stupid grammy people always seem to single out one group or person and give them all the big awards. Also U2 won 3 pretty big grammys last year, and they usual don't award groups in any significant way in back to back years. Also, U2 won in 87 for the Joshua Tree, has any band ever won album of the year twice??? I really don't know.

Unfortunately I am thinking Alicia Keys or Bob Dylan might be the grammy focus this year and leave U2 in the cold. DAMN they would have been a shoe-in last year if they were eligible!!!

Originally posted by womanfish:
Still no sign of stuck on the charts which is weird because i hear it a lot.

"Stuck" actually entered the Hot-100 this week at #62
smile.gif

are you serious?!?! it ENTERED the HOT 100!?! sweet!!!

------------------
-death bear

Stuck in a Moment...

I'm a part of the 'younger' generation of U2 as you can say, I haven't even graduated High School yet. Most of my teeny-bopper friends love N'sync, Backstreet Boys and other similar groups. However, with the release of Stuck, I could tell that my friends were truly getting into U2. With the new single I could tell something clicked the first time they heard it on the local radio station (KROCK 92.3). The next day, many of my friends bought ATYCLB. This was all before the VMA performance or the WTC tragedy... Maybe Stuck has struck a chord with the age group that defines what I'm in, with the coming tours I can only see some more success... I believe in Stuck.

I believe that Stuck is doing well so far not because of the VMA performance or the tragedy, but because of the song itself. Granted, it does help that the song is key in recovering from what happened, much more than any N'sync song. This is basically what U24me summed up! And if it entered the hot top 100... Wow. I also doubt Grammy success, I can already see that Alicia Keys may walk away with more than a few awards... Hopefully not.

------------------
'Fly Girl(I'm not SG)'
in New York you can't forget, forget how to sit still...

Thanks for the great info! I have not checked anything yet this week so this is GREAT news. U2s first increase was based on the pre awards coverage and then the 3 days left in the week after the awards. So the second increase I think is still partly due to the awards as this past week is the first full week of sales, Monday to Sunday, since the awards. Also, during the week of the Terror attack, sales went up all over the country and are even higher than last year at this time according to USA Today. Great news and I hope DR. WHO can give some figures. I think 19,000 copies for last week and maybe 25,000 for this week.

Back
Top Bottom