U2 Tour 2009: Setlist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
(Intro: Ito Okashi/A Different Kind of Blue)
1. New Song
2. New Song
3. New Song
4. New Song
5. 11 o' Clock/Vertigo
6. Beautiful Day
7. New Slow Song
8. Stay
9. If You Wear/Suspicious Minds
10. MLK/Streets
11. I threw a brick/Pride (new version)
12. Sunday Bloody Sunday
13. New Year's Day
14. New Song
15. Electric Co./All Because of You
16. Spanish Eyes/Exit/Acrobat
17. Slug/Numb/Karma Police
18. The Fly/Mysterious Ways/HMTMKMKM
---
19. New Song
20. Another Time, Another Place
21. One
22. Bad
---
23. 40/Mothers (slow or acoustic)
24. With or Without You
25. New Song/All you Need Is Love

BREAKDOWN:
New Album: 8
HTDAAB: 2
ATYCLB: 1
Pop: 1
Zooropa: 2
AB: 4
Passengers: 3
JT: 4
R&H: 2
UF: 3
Boy: 2
October: 1
War: 3
B-Sides&Covers: 4

I have a feeling Bono's mantra for this album will be "We're not content with just holding on to old fans and playing melodies- we're here to push the envelope and make new ones". This crazy compilation, while unconventional, could do that. How many fans have heard any of the B-sides, Passengers, or first 2 albums? It would seem like new music unto itself, on top of the whole new album....

Last edited:
I think that the acoustic set will be expanded. U2 was into that on the Vertigo tour, and considering Larry's condition, it may give him some rest during a show. I would bet money that they will really go all out with some weird stuff for this part of the show (4 songs, including some up-tempo ones). With that said, here is a possible list of included songs:

(I liked the Infinity tour idea, keeps the stage along the same vein as Vertigo/Elevation)

Acoustic: Mysterious Ways (crazy...but listen to some Youtube Covers), Stay, Wave of Sorrow, Kite, SBS, Acrobat (I think this would be better acoustic),

And they must play Ultraviolet...

Acoustic just takes the pace out of the show, on a plus point it makes for a good beer/toilet break.

LemonMelon said:

Hey, even Zeppelin had an acoustic set. There is a time and place for it.

I understand what you're saying, I agree...but sometimes U2 really screws this up...walk on acoustic? are they absolutely out of their minds? This song acoustic just cannot work...it should always be played full band...anyone think that will happen next tour?

wave of sorrow, desire, those songs can be played acoustic, but honestly...why? I mean, how exactly does playing those songs acoustically actually enhance the performance? Cause I don't get it.

I'm trying to think of songs that actually are better acoustic, but I can't...let's see...:hmm:

Yes, I'm about to fall on my face but, I honestly can't think of any at all right now...I mean, Stay is good acoustic cause it strips down the song and illuminates Bono's beautiful vocals (i.e. Union Chapel)...but when comparing the type of performance (acoustic vs. full band electric), I much perfer ZooTV Sydney's style of playing the song (instrumental section, excluding Bono's voice) than Union Chapel....there's no comparison...Larry and Adam also add another component that does too much to just exclude like they've done at Union Chapel and throughout Elevation Tour...

U2 just don't seem like the acoustic kind of band...i mean they sound great acoustic, but they just sound so much better full band electric :shrug:

I particularly like their acoustic set a lot but I think they get stuck with the same songs too much and don't take many chances with it sometimes. I think they took more chances on the Vertigo Tour though with Walk On (which I thought it was a really beautiful version), Stuck In A Moment, Wild Horses and specially The First Time. On Elevation Tour they did some interesting stuff as well, In God's Country (which wasn't played enough) with an harmonica at the end, Please worked beautiful and Stay were all pretty good. But they played Stay far too much....

With that said I don't like it as an encore. The encore should have the entire band and a lot more energy. The idea of an acoustic Mysterious Ways sounded bad but then I did listened to some youtube versions and actually liked it a lot it could work great, it would refresh the setlist and they wouldn't stop playing a crowd favorite.

I think an Irish acoustic version of A Sort Of A Homecoming would be nice, Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World, The Hands That Built America, If God Will Send His Angels, Drowning Man, Seconds, Crumbs From Your Table, Red Hill Mining Town would all sound good acoustic.

Acoustic sets are mostly a waste of time. There are exceptions (The First Time and Stuck in a Moment were cool), but they always represent a lowpoint for the show.

And no way Acrobat could work better acoustic. No way.

1 New song
2 New song
3 New song
4 WGRYWH (amsterdam vertigo style!)
5 Ultraviolet
6 The Fly
7 11oclock / Out of control
8 Electric Co
9 Stay
10 In a little While
11 Beautiful Day
12 SYCMIOYO
13 Please
14 WTHNN
15 New song
16 Walk On
17 New song
18 Like a song
-----------------------
19 Mofo
20 Discotheque (vertigo style)
21 Gone
-----------------------
22 The Unforgettable Fire
23 Sunday Bloody Sunday
24 Exit

Ofcourse many can be rotated and must be, but it really is time for a Pop comaback for me.

I would rather have an all electric set too, but I do think Bono and Edge are into the acoustic thing at the moment. What we have been priveleged to hear of the album sessions also lends itself that acoustic vibe.

And as far as Acrobat, I'm not to into the electric version (waiting for the flaming). But I think it may fit into the next tour either electric or acoustic. (Listen to the first or second song from the 2:15 tape and it sounds a bit like Acrobat)

The Sad Punk said:
I don't think there should be any acoustic set.

I would tend to agree with this.

LemonMelon said:

Hey, even Zeppelin had an acoustic set. There is a time and place for it.

And I would tend to agree with this also.
The problem is that U2 doesn't alter the songs drastically enough to "make it work" well with the acoustic bits. Maybe if Bono doesn't play guitar. Maybe if Adam plays a mandolin. Maybe if Larry takes a break.

major_panic said:
Three words:

The First Time.

beautiful song...yes, but that is an acoustic song to begin with, so no, that doesn't count...

I'm talking about a song that is actually enhanced by playing it acoustically...a non acoustic song played acoustically live

Rob33 said:

beautiful song...yes, but that is an acoustic song to begin with, so no, that doesn't count...

I'm talking about a song that is actually enhanced by playing it acoustically...a non acoustic song played acoustically live

I could see something like Angel of Harlem being glorious acoustic. Or All I Want Is You with a huge pre-programmed orchestra behind it. Or maybe something more obscure like Promenade or Drowning Man.

the tourist said:

I could see something like Angel of Harlem being glorious acoustic. Or All I Want Is You with a huge pre-programmed orchestra behind it. Or maybe something more obscure like Promenade or Drowning Man.

interesting :hmm:

see they've done AOH before acoustically...and it adds nothing to the song/performance...and takes away some beautiful qualities of a full band AOH...but maybe they can add something new to their acoustic set...keep it acoustic but put something else in, like your orchestra idea, I like that :)

better yet, have the orchestra live? i would love to see something like that done next tour or only on special occasions.

Last edited:
Promenade, guys. It needs an acoustic treatment. Maybe with some light harmonics or something to add atmosphere.

Rob33 said:

better yet, have the orchestra live? i would love to see something like that done next tour or only on special occasions.

Wayyyyy too expensive to tour with an orchestra. Better to have it just be one of those wonderful synth sounds on the actual All I Want Is You and The First Time, along with a pre-recorded orchestra. Maybe if they were to do a run of 14 shows or whatever at that O2 place they could do those shows with a full orchestra (and release them to cd/dvd).

major_panic said:
Desire wasn't bad acoustic. But for something more recent, how about AMAAW?

Desire wasn't good acoustic, either. It had so much less energy. It was like sleepy-time. Which isn't what Desire is about at all.

the tourist said:

Desire wasn't good acoustic, either. It had so much less energy. It was like sleepy-time. Which isn't what Desire is about at all.

I will agree about that. Acoustic Desire is lame. :down:

I don't have a problem with desire acoustic, but full band electric desire is just so much better...walk on and stuck sound great acoustic!.....BUT...do they sound better? of course not, miles behind the full band versions of those songs...

Has there ever been an acoustic performance that is actually an improvement over the full band electric version? I'm not sure :hmm:

Rob33 said:

Has there ever been an acoustic performance that is actually an improvement over the full band electric version? I'm not sure :hmm:

Staring At The Sun.

And, IMO, Stuck is better acoustic than the full band version.

LemonMelon said:

Staring At The Sun.

And, IMO, Stuck is better acoustic than the full band version.

alright fair enough...I'm curious though, how exactly is Stuck enhanced when played acoustically? What do you like more about it acoustically than you do full band?

Rob33 said:

I really liked the acoustic version of Walk On. I almost didn't recognize it at first, but when I realized what it was, I was pleasantly surprised.

This would be awesome too:

01. New Song
02. New Song
03. Vertigo
04. Two Hearts Beat As One
05. New Song
06. The Unforgettable Fire
07. New Song
08. New Song (Mercy)
09. Silver And Gold
10. New Song
11. Bullet The Blue Sky
12. In God's Country (acoustic)
13. A Sort Of A Homecoming (acoustic)
14. God Part II
15. Twilight
16. New Song
17. If You Wear That Velvet Dress
18. Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
19. Acrobat

ENCORE I:
20. City Of Blinding Lights
21. Beautiful Day
22. Window In The Skies
23. The Wanderer
24. October
25. New Song
26. Walk On

ENCORE II:
27. Angel Of Harlem
28. Cover
29. New Song
30. Kite

It would be exaustive for them but awesome for me. :wink:

TheBrazilianFly said:
This would be awesome too:

01. New Song
02. New Song
03. Vertigo
04. Two Hearts Beat As One
05. New Song
06. The Unforgettable Fire
07. New Song
08. New Song (Mercy)
09. Silver And Gold
10. New Song
11. Bullet The Blue Sky
12. In God's Country (acoustic)
13. A Sort Of A Homecoming (acoustic)
14. God Part II
15. Twilight
16. New Song
17. If You Wear That Velvet Dress
18. Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
19. Acrobat

ENCORE I:
20. City Of Blinding Lights
21. Beautiful Day
22. Window In The Skies
23. The Wanderer
24. October
25. New Song
26. Walk On

ENCORE II:
27. Angel Of Harlem
28. Cover
29. New Song
30. Kite

It would be exaustive for them but awesome for me. :wink:

Might work if you were just rotating your encores there, like night 1=encore 1 and night 2=encore 2.

Rob33 said:

alright fair enough...I'm curious though, how exactly is Stuck enhanced when played acoustically? What do you like more about it acoustically than you do full band?

Dorian Gray said:
Stuck, to me, sounds more genuine and heartfelt, when played acoustic. The song has room to breathe...

^ That is precisely why. It's one of the few songs that was practically made to be played acoustically. The album version is too overblown and cheesy, whereas in the acoustic version you can really hear the emotion coming through.

LemonMelon said:

^ That is precisely why. It's one of the few songs that was practically made to be played acoustically. The album version is too overblown and cheesy, whereas in the acoustic version you can really hear the emotion coming through.

I've personally actually come to a recent appreciation of the album version of the song. That said, I like the acoustic version better.

I like most accoustic performances they've done, but especialls Stuck. I'm not very fond of the full band version of that one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom