U2,, Private or public obsession

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yimou

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I have been through that period where i wanted everybody to understand just how great and important U2 are to the music world.
But there are NO WAY you will ever get this message through to the fans of Britney Spears and the other teenage fabricated " stars ". They change their idols like underwear ( Unless they change once every year )...

None of my friends or family members have any kind of interest in U2, and that is why a forum like this rocks the shirt off. Because here i can read the super insights that other equal fans have of this great great band.

Its nice to talk about something thats important to your soul. Because that is where U2 music hits me.. Deep inside my soul.

I hope this post is relevant in this area of the forum, and i apologize for any grammar or spelling errors,, I am just a simpel European :wink:

I have been a die-hard fan for more 19 years, since I was 12. And there is nobody I know that loves them as much as I do. In fact, everybody I know hates U2. This has been going on for 19 years. Right after Rattle and Hum came out in 1988, I have been a closet U2 fan. I was so proud to wear my U2 t-shirts around the Joshua Tree in 1987. Now, I am embarrassed to wear them, because people would think I was a loser. But guess what. I was so tired of feeling like this, I decided to wear two U2 shirts in public this past summer. This was before all the hype for Vertigo. I wore the Best of 1980-1990 shirt with the boy wearing the army helmut. I also wore the black shirt with the Joshua Tree in gold. I love those shirts.
And you know what, I don't give a fuck what people think anymore. I love U2 and I am damn proud to say that. My family and friends may think U2 sucks, but they can go fuck themselves. And that goes for anybody else who hates U2, God damn it.

By the way, that avatar I chose is special to me. That's because that picture was on the first U2 t-shirt I bought in 1987. I love that picture. Unfortunately, I don't have the shirt anymore. I wish they would remake that shirt.

I really like this board for that reason as well yimou! My best friend is a big U2 fan as well, but she moved to Dublin, so I don't get to talk to her that much anymore. Since then I'm addicted to this...

My family knows of my U2 obsession and my Dad and brother have actualy become quite fond of them. My friends know I like them but not to what extent. I had to tell one of them about Interference when I met an interferencer during the summer though. :laugh:

I don't know anybody else who likes U2 and I don't know any other females who like them, when I was getting the album a stack of males were buying it and at uni I always see boys wearing U2 t-shirts. None of my friends have the slightest interest in them although my gay friend fancies Larry :hmm:

I was a closet fan until I became obsessed with winning the radio contest to go to the New York listening party...now everyone at work thinks I'm just a little crazy. Wait til they go on tour and I'm taking all sorts of time off...I Will Follow! :lol:

I converted my brother but most of the people at work are hopeless...they were gushing about the wonder and beauty of Christina Aguilera the other night.

I have friends that like them but it's just a basic like if that makes sense. They think they play good music, buy the cd and go to a show but they dont get the real impact of the music. I have become more open in my adoration around some people though.

The bright spot is that over the past couple of years my mom has grown to like them and their music even though she is older so that is alot of fun. She gets that there is something special about the band and the music that very few artists seem to have.

I got into U2 when I was 14 and I've been obsessive/compulsive ever since.
My friends and family know I'm a big fan, but I think they seriously underestimate to what extent my passion for their music goes. (at least at school I have a friend who understands what this is like, she's a massive Powderfinger fan). But just to have other people who share this online is important, you know you're no alone.

Cheers:D

Most people I know - knw about my love for U2 (its one of the rare things that I actually dont keep in)

And its good cos at my job, I was telling my boss and people how I met Bono and now whenever he sees U2 in the newspaper he leaves the article on my desk :up:

Makes going into work worthwhile I suppose :laugh:

Schmeg said:
I was a closet fan until I became obsessed with winning the radio contest to go to the New York listening party...now everyone at work thinks I'm just a little crazy. Wait til they go on tour and I'm taking all sorts of time off...I Will Follow! :lol:

I converted my brother but most of the people at work are hopeless...they were gushing about the wonder and beauty of Christina Aguilera the other night.

Schmeg, one night I said I wouldn't go out with my sister because I had to enter the Radio 1 contest and I was brushing up on my U2 knowledge incase I got called back. :lol: :reject:

My family and friends are all retro freaks who can't stand my favorite bands, U2 and Coldplay! I'm a fish out of water musically around here. It's strange. I have never been into any nostalgic anything so it's a matter of me not quite understanding where they're coming from as well.

verte76 said:
My family and friends are all retro freaks who can't stand my favorite bands, U2 and Coldplay! I'm a fish out of water musically around here. It's strange. I have never been into any nostalgic anything so it's a matter of me not quite understanding where they're coming from as well.

My Mum isn't really into music ( :confused: ) she likes very few bands but my Dad is a music freak. My Mum says I am definately my fathers daughter because I have so many cd's and records in my room and I'm really careful about looking after them like he is. :reject: In saying that though my parents are both really good at getting u2 news. My Mum read they were playing at Croke Park because she seen a picture of Bono on the front of the newspaper a man was reading in the seat infront of her on the bus and she read the story over his shoulder. :lmao: My Dad also cuts out any u2 articles from the paper and there seems to be a competition about who can find out the latest piece of gossip first. When we go to Dublin which is a few times a year, well I only go with my family once a year, my dad always takes me to the Clarence to get something to take home. I always get a pencil from the phonebox :shifty:

Lara Mullen said:

Schmeg, one night I said I wouldn't go out with my sister because I had to enter the Radio 1 contest and I was brushing up on my U2 knowledge incase I got called back. :lol: :reject:
:laugh: I was afraid to tie up my cell phone just in case they announced the Cue to Call on the radio, so I didn't call anyone for a week! I also dragged a radio around my store for a whole day...

Today we put the new Muzak cd on at work and it features Mariah Carey singing Baby Please Come Home. There was some whining about a better version I knew of. :|

Most of my friends simply do not get it. My husband is a huge fan so that makes things a bit easier. I am not really vocal about it, b/c there is no reason to be.

My dad loves 80's New Romantic music (anyone remember Roxy Music?:yuck: ) and then he goes through specific obbsessions with bands, he's onto a Split Endz one at the moment. He can't stand it when I listen to U2 full ball in my room, screeching like a banshee along with it.
:lol:
My mum on the other hand listens to ABBA and classical music. Nothing against my parental unit, but I think they lack taste.

I'm so glad I came across this board for the above reasons mentioned.

I only know (knew ?) of one other person who likes U2, she was one of my house mates at uni this year. I'm trying to get my Mum into the band, I'm certain it is working - we listened to U2 on a 2 hr drive earlier this month, she said she really liked their music.

Most of my friends know of my very clear obsession with U2, but I think they highly underestimate HOW much I love them, and how happy they make me feel. I think I drove my friends and family nuts telling them, each day, how excited that a new album was coming out. Four years is just simply too long!

People know I'm a U2 fan but they don't know the extent of it. And that's okay with me. :D I don't hide it but I never feel the need to explain myself when people ask me "Why?":wink:

God, PUBLIC!
Everyone knows - my teachers, my friends, my family, the random people I serenade in the streets when i'm drunk....

But y'know, much of this isn't down to me. My friends find it hilarious that I like U2, so they like to make a point of telling anyone who'll listen. They're not U2 fans at all... they like their stereotypical 17 year old music.

My family knows the extent, a few close friends, and my roommate probably b/c I have been talking about everything U2 in recent weeks, and have been trying to limit it so she doesn't go absolutely crazy; I can only imagine how annoying I am to someone who doesn't really care...

Formerly private (save family & close pals) but since the NYC concert I have been on a HIGH. ALl my coworkers (teach 2nd grade) & some students know. I am proud!!!!! I thought I was too old and had to be the prim & proper teacher person, but after all my replies to my post on "MY Deepest personal thoughts on U2" here on confessionals, I realize that it is okay!!!!!!! Soccer moms can rock out loud!

Woo Hoo!! Ree has been reborn!! :up: :laugh:

My husband has known since we started dating 16 yrs ago that I was bonkers about U2... my best friend has known since High School and my current friends and co-workers are beginning to get an inkling of how bad I got it! :lol:
As for family? My brother knows I'm a fan (he & friend used to give me hell about the WOWY video -- they'd swing one arm over their heads, as if holding a guitar, and screech an off-key "oooooooo!!!!"), but I don't think he realizes the extent of it. And my parents? God love 'em, maybe my mom could guess right, but my dad wouldn't have a clue!!

My best friend's a fan, but she's not obsessed like me. I want a local U2 freak to bond with!!! Waaaaaah! :scream:

Last edited:
Closet U2 fan? Hell no. Since high school (1994-1998) I was a proud fan of the band...and that was during their dark period (Passengers, Pop).

I'm really obsessed to U2 at the moment and it's good to get here and meet people who feels the same.
Friends? Well, my friends don't understand why I'm so in love with the guys.They have a totally different taste of music but they don't bother me.
As for family? My dad listens to U2 sometimes(he currently asked me to make a tape of HTDAAB for his car) but my mum doesn't like them very much. She gets annoyed every time she comes into my room and some U2 CD's playing.

Everyone I know knows i'm a U2 fan and well into music a lot, but i'm the coolest person they know so it's all good, :wink: :dance: :dance:

Back
Top Bottom