U2 playing in higher keys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
all the new songs off htdatb were played on the vertigo tour with guitars and bass tuned to standard, whereas all the older songs were still played with guitars and bass tuned down half a step...

Pretty much everything from the last two albums were played in standard tuning except In a Little While, Kite, and City Of Blinding Lights which in the studio version is also played half step down, I can't remember if Walk On was also played half step down...

Hi

Peterrrrr, first at all congratulations for your webpage. I'm a guitarrist member of the yahoo group recording and fan of Bono's voice too. I did some posts of bono's voice, hightest notes on some songs for some spanish forums.

Sunday Bloody Sunday and Pride are down one tone respect of the studio's version. ISHFWILF is down one and a half tone respect to the studio's version.

Between the Unforgettable fire toor, Joshua Tree Tour and LoveTown Tour Bono's voice is his strongest and powerful. Achtung Baby and Zooropa Bono lost a little of register, but he sings better (he learns falsetto, follows better the rythm, etc). Pop and Popmart Bono begins his vocal problems and his voice is not as strong than allways has been. ATYCLB Bono voices is back, HTTAAB and Vertigo Tour is better.

I think Bono has lost about one tone of register since The Joshua Tree until now.
And his voice is not as powerful.

Highest notes of Bono in the studio:
- Bad has a C#. (I'm WIDE Awake).
- Red Hill Mining Town has several C's. A singer told me that the highest notes are C's, but my tabs book of the Joshua Tree show me this note is a D. I'm a little confusing. It's a C and not a D?
- Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses has a C. ("Don't You LOOK Back")
- Pride is full of B's. (I think here you're wrong at your webpage is wrotten "The chours is a High B, the whole chorus takes place between the E above middle C and the high B". You think that he gets some E's at the chores, but he sings and repetats several B's)
- Stay is a Bb ("STAY and the night will be enough..." )

I would to know what's your opinion of Bono's voice between all the albums, and the better-worts moments, etc. I repeat your web is awesome, and you've done a great job. You have to add a very important song: "I've Got You Under My Skin", is one of the best Bono's voices and falsetto. Other interesting is "Dancing Shoes" from The Million Dollar Hotel, Bono does a Billie Holliday similar voice.

The highest Bono note on the studio is the C# of Bad. What do you think is the highest note live? You have to add to your clip of the best voice performances of Bono, the Even Better Of Milan (Zoo Tv Tour), he gets a D with full voice on "Take Me Higher" is awesome. A guy tell me in u2recording that Bono sang some E's with full voice on the Unforgettable Fire tour, but he didn't remember in what shows. I still haven't searched for them.

Cheers
Gery

um there is no way EBTTRT was a D it was an A flat which is 5 and a half notes lower:doh:

no way bono has hit an E!!!!!!!!!! defintely not

and red hill mining town is a C

um there is no way EBTTRT was a D it was an A flat which is 5 and a half notes lower:doh:

You're right ultraviolet92, it seems an A flat EBTTRT, anyway this Take Me Higher part for the Milan show of the Zoo Tv Tour is very good. If anyone haven't this, I could send it.

The E5 it seems impossible, but do you think if could it be any D5 live? Is only a semitone up to the C# of Bad.

I have posted a question about this in the u2recording foro of Yahoo. But I don't have recieved still any answer. Is very difficult. But as Peter said, even if the guy is wrong, maybe could ve some high notes in The Unforgettable Fire. This guy is professional music, but there are many shows in this tour and bootlegs to listen.

Cheers
Gery

You're right ultraviolet92, it seems an A flat EBTTRT , anyway this Take Me Higher part of the Milan's show at the Zoo Tv Tour is very good. If anyone haven't this, I could send it.

The E5 it seems more impossible now, but do you think if could it be any D5 live? Is only a semitone up to the top C# of Bad.

I have posted a question about this in the u2recording foro of Yahoo. But I still haven't received any answer. Is very difficult. But as Peter said, even if the guy is wrong, maybe could be some high notes in The Unforgettable Fire tour. This guy is a professional music, but there are many shows in this tour and bootlegs to listen.

Cheers
Gery

Well the highest non-falsetto note in any of U2's songs is actually a D. In the verse in Wire that goes "COLD man, such a COLD heart". According to "U2 - The Complete Songs" which transcribes the vocals, it's a D. I'm pretty sure they would have played that song live a half-step down, but still that would be a tough one to sing.

Well the highest non-falsetto note in any of U2's songs is actually a D. In the verse in Wire that goes "COLD man, such a COLD heart". According to "U2 - The Complete Songs" which transcribes the vocals, it's a D. I'm pretty sure they would have played that song live a half-step down, but still that would be a tough one to sing.

Im not sure, but I think he uses a little falsetto on that one.

i thought that bono have a baritone vocal range...:doh:

Actually, Bono is a baritone, but he has incredible range and can hit tenor notes. Most men sing a lower baritone.

Bono's father once stated that Bono was a baritone pretending to be a tenor. :sexywink:

From my perspective, Bono's high notes are WAY out of my range. I've sung along to U2 in the car and maybe I hit that first high note (maybe), but that's it. After that, my voice just cracks and, well, let's just say that thank God the music is on loud drowing me out. :wink:

Im not sure, but I think he uses a little falsetto on that one.

Listen to Wire, the two COLD's sound like a type of falsetto. Never heard before this technique, but it seems like a screech, but only using half voice.

Cheers
Gery

Bono is not going to hit that high D in any case, as we know the highest studio version required him to hit the C# in Bad.

What that means is even if they played every song in it's original tuning live, there isn't a U2 song that would require that D in concert and if he went up and crucified his vocal chords for that note, he'd be singing out of tune anyways. It doesn't make sense.

It's different if he's improvising or scatting but even then he's almost always using falsetto and not full voice. There is no 'D' out there. I'd be impressed if we could find him singing Bad in it's original key and hear him hit that C# note post 1990.

The only reason U2 tunes up is to help Bono's lower register by allowing him to sing the next melodic line up or down. So, I think UTEOTW (on the album vs live) is the perfect example of that.

"Haven't seen you in quite a while"
"quite a while" is an F# on the album
"quite a while" is a G#/Ab (same note) on the POPmart DVD, which is played two steps up from the album version.

So the high end "Love, love, love" during the bridge on the album it's an F# and live on POPmart is was two steps up to G#/Ab.

Which is probably what Bono means by that being his comfort zone.
That's the best his voice sounds right in that area. His tone is great right there.
One step up from that is the big note on both Sarajevo and Sometimes.
So that probably pushes him a bit, especially the durations of those notes but technically he can pretty much fart those notes and they still sound great.

Which is even more reason to think that this mythical 'D' does not exist.
5 or 6 steps up from that money zone? Not a chance.
They even dropped Pride down early because it was a pain the ass to keep stepping up to hit a 'B'.

He did hit the 'D' in Wire according to the transcribers of the UF tab book. But that is a complete anamoly, a thrown somewhat-full voice note, he basically broke his voice to do that. He had no fucking idea what he was doing back then. There is no doubt he both technically sings better/takes care of his voice and has lost a lot of his tone, especially the lower end.

What do you guys (and girls) think of these notes Bono sang when he rang in to a breakfast show last March? It's on the very low end of what he can reach right now, at least that's what it sounds like to me. The bit I'm talking about starts at 4:46

Jim-Jim's Blog: Bono rings in.... finally!

Good answer U2DMfan. What do you thing is the best and the worst moment of the Bono's voice?

I think the voice of Bono in Pop was poor and had lost power, and his timbre had changed. And the worst moment was the New Day's single (September 14, 1999) Bono nearly had lost his voice here. For me a year later, with ATYCLB Bono begins the recuperation of his Voice, Peter thinks that ATYLCB in some aspects is worst than Pop and his voice is better after ATYCLB.

Vertigo Tour was much better than the Elevation Tour voice of Bono, but he has lost about at least one and a half tone from the Lovetown Tour, his voice isn't as powerful and his timbre has changed very much.

Do you think Bono could still recupair a little more of his voice, or is very damaged?

Is Bono losing his singing voice? - bimmerfest - BMW Forums

It explains how the Bono's voice was damaged during Popmart by some allergic and smoking during years, and needed a surgery (i think this surgery was after Popmart).

Showbiz - News - Bono admits fear of damaging voice - Digital Spy

Cheers
Gery

Actually, Bono is a baritone, but he has incredible range and can hit tenor notes. Most men sing a lower baritone.

Bono's father once stated that Bono was a baritone pretending to be a tenor. :sexywink:

From my perspective, Bono's high notes are WAY out of my range. I've sung along to U2 in the car and maybe I hit that first high note (maybe), but that's it. After that, my voice just cracks and, well, let's just say that thank God the music is on loud drowing me out. :wink:

From another person:
"He's definitely a tenor,
and a high one at that. On 'Pride in the Name of Love,' that's a high
B he's hitting. In fact, the whole chorus takes place between the E
above middle C and the high B. Only a tenor could sing consistently in
that range. Then, on 'Bad,' Bono actually hits a high C# when he sings
the words 'wide awake.' It's strained and gravelly, but boy is it
high. On the other hand, those songs are from the mid-1980s. Bono
doesn't sing in that range as much anymore."

I think the voice of Bono in Pop was poor and had lost power, and his timbre had changed. And the worst moment was the New Day's single (September 14, 1999) Bono nearly had lost his voice here. For me a year later, with ATYCLB Bono begins the recuperation of his Voice, Peter thinks that ATYLCB in some aspects is worst than Pop and his voice is better after ATYCLB.

Bono had a lot more power in screaming on Popmart tour then Elevation tour. Just listen to the "say it true" part on NYD:

YouTube - U2 - New Year's Day (from POPMart Johannesburg)
YouTube - New Year's Day Live PopMart

Also his falsetto was much better on Popmart then on Elevation tour.

If you want to hear his weakes voice moments try, Slide Away from 98
YouTube - Slide away

and the farm club performence.

YouTube - U2, Bad, live, farm club, 2000

Vertigo Tour was much better than the Elevation Tour voice of Bono, but he has lost about at least one and a half tone from the Lovetown Tour, his voice isn't as powerful and his timbre has changed very much.

Power isnt just about screaming, if we took out all the screaming from the LT shows we would realise that his voice now is much more powerful in real voice. There is no show on LT that have a Wide Awake that is hit like he did on Vertigo tour. He screamed the note on LT but didnt manage to hit the high C.

Just listen to the raw power of the line "let you go" in this.
YouTube - U2 - Desire (Acoustic - Union Chapel) 23.11.07

I havent heard any version from the 80's and 90's that have that raw sound in "LET". He still got the scream power but he is smart enough to not use it often. :)

There is no way Bono had the ability to get such a powerful sound in the 80/90s that he have in the "Wave" note on WOS(studio version).

Do you think Bono could still recupair a little more of his voice, or is very damaged?

The smoking did alot to his voice, but all the screaming/straining from the 80/90s, especially LT tour did alot of damage. After a surgey(like he did on 98) the voice gets real weak in the beginning and it takes a long time for it to heal. So what the reason that his voice is better now?:

- He learned to use more techniques, how to use his voice right. With that he dosnt hurt his voice and then it start to recover.

- Less smoking/drinkin.

- He is getting better and better after the surgey

And he still can contunie to improve, more lessons... If he would stop do long speeches between shows under tour his voice would improve.

My favourite era for Bono's voice has to be 84-90, I think he was pretty much unbeatable during those years and more than a match for any other rock singer. I think he sounds awesome on UF, JT and R&H, a man at the peak of his powers, a real force of nature, his voice is massive. There's really not a thing he can't do, raw fiery power, velvety smooth subtlety, warm euphoria and of course the development of that pure falsetto he'd really put to use on ZOO TV. Personal highlights are:

Bad: WAIA
ISHFWILF: JT
WOWY:JT
Hawkmoon: R&H
God Part II: R&H
AIWIY: R&H

Lovetown's certainly my favourite tour for his voice (although JT and ZOO TV are great too), I just think he was pulling off some pretty awe-inspiring stuff on a nightly basis, the Dublin 89 and Rotterdam 90 shows are rightly regarded as some the finest U2 performances ever.

Despite the erratic nature of Bono's voice on Popmart, I still much prefer that tour to Elevation. Although he had his share of bad gigs, there were some shows where he was absolutely stunning: Leeds 97, Rotterdam 97 and Santiago 98 are some of my all-time favourite shows. Although I felt he sounded pretty good on ATYCLB (I still think Kite has a brilliant vocal) on Elevation I thought he struggled, especially with some of the eighties classics, he couldn't seem to quite make them fly IMO. Fortunately on Vertigo I felt he sounded much, much healthier. His vocals on the fifth leg were very impressive indeed for a man who's inflicted as much as Bono has on his vocal chords. The third Toyko night is definitely recommended.

Power isnt just about screaming, if we took out all the screaming from the LT shows we would realise that his voice now is much more powerful in real voice. There is no show on LT that have a Wide Awake that is hit like he did on Vertigo tour. He screamed the note on LT but didnt manage to hit the high C.

I think that's probably true Peterrr, then again the 'Wide Awake' note has always posed problems for him, even going back as far the UF tour. As soon as you take a look at some of the 84-85 bootlegs you realise that Bad wasn't performed with all the scorching, explosive power of the WAIA performance every single night. That was a bit of a one off, Bono couldn't perform it like that every single night. For me though, its always been more about the emotion of the moment rather than for how long he holds the note.

I think his improvement over recent years is down to a combination of things, the vocal chord operation he had in 99/00 which also helped to clear up some of his sinus issues, cutting back on the smoking and actually learning about and improving his technique, as well as just time to heal. In some ways you could say that perhaps they undertook ATYCLB and the Elevation tour too soon after his operation and he wasn't quite ready to be out on the road doing such an extensive tour, he was still healing. For me on certain nights his throat sounds rubbed raw and his range limited.

Technically he's a better singer than ever now and that's great (its probably saved his voice), but I do think that ultimately good technique can sometimes be a little emotionless and clinical. Which is why, for me it can never be a substitute for the pure passionate emotion of the eighties and very early nineties.

My personal highlights are:

- Pride (TUF)
- The Unforgettable Fire (TUF)
- Bad (WAIA)
- I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (TJT)
- With Or Without You (TJT)
- Red Hill Mining Town (TJT)
- Heartland (R&H)
- One (Achtung Baby)
- Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (Achtung Baby)
- Ultraviolet (Light My Way) (Achtung Baby)
- I Can't Help Falling In Love With You (Zoo Tv Tour)
- Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of (ATYCLB)
- Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own (HTTAAB)
- Miss Sarajevo (Passengers)
- Night and Day (A tribute to Cole Porter)
- I've Got You Under my Skin (Frank Sinatra-Bono)

My favourite era is the Zoo Tv Tour because Bono's voice is a mix of power, experience, good falsetto and excellent sense of the rythm. Near is the Joshua Tree Tour / Love Town Tour as the wilder Bono's voice. Third position to the Vertigo Tour.

P.D: We don't must forget other two of the worst moments: Net Aid and Sant Remo Festival.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEbM8nUW_VE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVrmBIzU-Vg

Cheers
Gery

The 80s singing may have been powerful, but it damaged Bono's voice forever.

And Peter, I don't believe he had surgery. At the end of the PopMart tour he had a biopsy done because of his weak voice and learnt about his allergies that were/are also affecting his voice.

I think that's probably true Peterrr, then again the 'Wide Awake' note has always posed problems for him, even going back as far the UF tour. As soon as you take a look at some of the 84-85 bootlegs you realise that Bad wasn't performed with all the scorching, explosive power of the WAIA performance every single night. That was a bit of a one off, Bono couldn't perform it like that every single night. For me though, its always been more about the emotion of the moment rather than for how long he holds the note.

I think his improvement over recent years is down to a combination of things, the vocal chord operation he had in 99/00 which also helped to clear up some of his sinus issues, cutting back on the smoking and actually learning about and improving his technique, as well as just time to heal. In some ways you could say that perhaps they undertook ATYCLB and the Elevation tour too soon after his operation and he wasn't quite ready to be out on the road doing such an extensive tour, he was still healing. For me on certain nights his throat sounds rubbed raw and his range limited.

Technically he's a better singer than ever now and that's great (its probably saved his voice), but I do think that ultimately good technique can sometimes be a little emotionless and clinical. Which is why, for me it can never be a substitute for the pure passionate emotion of the eighties and very early nineties.

Well powerful singing could mean a bunch of different things. Sure, Bono's voice was incredibly powerful during the LT tour, but I could write out a whole list of things that Bono did on the Vertigo Tour or could do now in terms of "powerful singing" that the LT Bono couldn't do. :shrug:

The 80s singing may have been powerful, but it damaged Bono's voice forever.

And Peter, I don't believe he had surgery. At the end of the PopMart tour he had a biopsy done because of his weak voice and learnt about his allergies that were/are also affecting his voice.

I'm not sure but I think in the book U2 by U2 is written that he had surgery.

Cheers
Gery

Well powerful singing could mean a bunch of different things. Sure, Bono's voice was incredibly powerful during the LT tour, but I could write out a whole list of things that Bono did on the Vertigo Tour or could do now in terms of "powerful singing" that the LT Bono couldn't do. :shrug:

Interesting thing, feel free to write them. :applaud:

Cheers
Gery

Interesting thing, feel free to write them. :applaud:

Cheers
Gery

:lol:

well it's actually not necessary, as Peterrr is the Bono voice expert and he has continually posted stuff like this repeatedly...but I'll just name a few that I can think of right now.

the "sing" note in SYCMIOYO and the opera moment at the end of 12-4-2006 Tokyo of SYCMIOYO

the "wave" note in WOS - See Union Chapel Performance ---> YouTube - U2 - Wave Of Sorrow (Acoustic - Union Chapel) 23.11.07

"the newspaper says it's true...." verse on NYD - Bono shouted this and strained his voice on JT/LT performances- sure it was quite powerful, but he resorted to screaming it, literally, instead of singing it with soaring, powerful vocals, as he did quite often on Vertigo Tour...

Union Chapel Performance of Desire- Bono sings the "let her go" line very powerfully, one of his best performances of this song (I think Peter says this is the most powerful Bono has ever sung this line, but I don't know personally)

Miss Sarejevo - ANY Bono prior to the Vertigo tour could not even come close to the powerful, operatic insanity of Miss Sarejevo throughout the Vertigo Tour - Good examples are the Milan performance or the Tokyo performance

Once again, Peterr could provide you with a far more extensive list if you're still interested, but that's all I have right now :)

What operation? Pretty sure Bono said there was no operation. Repeat, there was no operation. Why do people keep stating this as fact? The problem wasn't even with his vocal cords (which would be nodes and not 'curable' by surgery, well not with high success rates anyways). The problem was blocked sinuses, and Bono has stated they ended up finding out it was an allergy issue so he avoids what he's allergic to and didn't end up getting the surgery. Could be something as simple as beer, which can cause extreme congestion if you are allergic to hops.

High keys are worthless unless the singer and the band are fully in sync with the song and the audience. Santiago 98 is a wonderful example of how a lower key version of Bad can memorize the viewer. It's chilling to see Bono dance like a teenage boy, strumming an air guitar to the Edge's solo, eyes closed, and singing No! No! to the beat. And even those his high notes weren't perfect, you feed off the energy Bono produces in this wonderful performance. He was totally lost in the moment.

In my opinion, the audience is the biggest factor in Bono's voice and the band's performance in general. Because it works both ways, the band and the audience feed off each other. Bono will become the best singer in the world when he is lost in the moment.

That's why I want the stadium shows back. The energy from such a large audience can escalate a performance dramatically, but it's totally pointless if the audience doesn't get into it.

High notes are just what they are....high notes. When Bono lets loose his cannon of passion, it's truly beautiful.

What operation? Pretty sure Bono said there was no operation. Repeat, there was no operation. Why do people keep stating this as fact? The problem wasn't even with his vocal cords (which would be nodes and not 'curable' by surgery, well not with high success rates anyways). The problem was blocked sinuses, and Bono has stated they ended up finding out it was an allergy issue so he avoids what he's allergic to and didn't end up getting the surgery. Could be something as simple as beer, which can cause extreme congestion if you are allergic to hops.

Well in U2 by U2, Bono says:

"There was a swelling on my vocal chords, which was not a nodule, and wouldn't go away...and there was some uncertainty about it. I remember sitting in a ward being prepared for theatre, wearing a blue apron . So I went into the operating theatre, lay down and they put me out."

In this article it says that Bono did have an ear, nose and throat operation, so at least some kind of operation did take place:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/author/story.cfm?a_id=78&objectid=3573621

A good deal of discussion about the developments in Bono's voice is speculation anyway, and we can never know for certain exactly why his voice declined in the late nineties then improved again over the last 4 years or so, but we can all have a good guess and that's probably why this discussion will never go away.

High notes are just what they are....high notes. When Bono lets loose his cannon of passion, it's truly beautiful.

Yes that's what I mean, very often you can see someone with great technique do something almost flawlessly, be it singing or whatever, but it can sometimes feel a little mechanical and soulless (don't get me wrong Bono's singing could never be soulless however brilliant his technique, he's way too emotional and passionate for that). For me the most compelling live performances are those when Bono really pushes himself to the limit and when I think back to the eighties and nineties tours the moments I remember the most are the one's where a real sense of urgency and dynamism comes into play, his technique was probably awful, but it made the whole thing spine-tingling for me.

A good example is that version of Pride that was up a week or so ago from the first Popmart show, where Bono gestures that the songs being played in too high a key for him but he really goes for it anyway, really pushing himself and belting it out really well (for that period in time) he makes that performance so much more gripping and memorable for me. On Vertigo, although he appeared to be hitting the high notes of Pride better and it seemed easier for him, the sense of risk and drama was missing for me, I found it hard to get wrapped up in the renditions, and I think that sense of drama is crucial to making live performances spark into life and become genuinely special.

It doesn't really matter at the end of the day, its all personal preference and I suppose that's what counts.

Back
Top Bottom