U2 on SNL.....OMG!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just watched the SNL show again, and I was watching them perform Vertigo....Bono does a little dance in there and he looks like such a dork. Some of his dances look like one of his kids must go up to him at home and say, "Hey dad look at this new dance." You know how little ones think that any weird movement is just SO COOL, he probably looks and goes, "Awesome let me try." Then I think he does the dance at one of their performances. Sometimes I see him do one of his little tip-toe dances and I'm like, "Hey thats the dance my baby cousin that is learning to walk does." He is adorable when he does some of the dances, but then again I felt so embarassed for him when he did that dance lastnight.

Of course after I watched Bono in the lucky blondes lap I was like okay you can do whatever dance you want to Bono, as long as you keep on doing that one. I swear if I were to watch that every morning when I wake up, I'd never be in a bad mood.

I have to admit, the show didn't get me as excited as when they did SNL in December of 2000. They brought the house down when they did that show, doing Elevation with Bono going into the crowd and standing on the table and egging on the crowd and singing "We all Shine On." Then Bono goes over to Val Kilmer and goes, "C'mon baby light my fire." You guys remember that??
Anyway, did you guys notice that Bono made another Beatles reference, just like the first SNL performnace with "We all Shine On."? At the end of Vertigo, Bono sings "She loves you, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah." That was great.

Oh man, what an amazing show!!!

youtwohearts said:
I have to say, I think I must agree. This has been THE BEST WEEK of U2 (especially Bono) of my life.

Could it really get better?:combust: :hyper: :faint:

I don't know how it can be...between the video of Montreal, the phone message, the SNL performance....I got to start carrying around a defibrelator. :faint:

This tour is going to be mindblowing...

I just watched I Will Follow. Oh my, oh my, oh my. I'm torn between laughter and the desire to trip my DH into bed. But my overwhelming emotion is gratitude: Bono, thank you for your joy and LIFE! Thank you for always pushing the boundaries, for refusing to stay in your box. And, thank you, Ali, for not being possessive. :kiss:

Okay, apart from GibsonGirl ruining the sanguine moment of the SNL performance with her over-the-top seriousness, I quote Ali, "Life's too serious to be taken seriously."

And as for the "young people" on board, maybe you should take away the Q, Rolling Stone, Blender and et al magazines where U2 swears and suggests sexual provocativeness profusively, and not allow these 'kids' to the U2 shows where Bono is known to yell, "Fuck yeah!" into his microphone in front of 50,000 people. If you are sensitive to the young people, then maybe they shouldn't even be allowed to listen to U2, as for a lot of it is swear words and about sexual references and deep issues that are much too mature for the young ones.

I thoroughly enjoyed the show, as I predicted one a dire U2 fan would. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own really did make me cry, it made me sob! I could feel Bono's emotions as he sang those words, I interpreted the song through my own personal loss of my aunt, who raised me for the most part of my life. I understood where he was coming from, those lyrics were real and deep.
As for seeing the SNL girls cry and look completely overwhelmed, that's great. But I see that all the time. U2 are breathtaking. Even to those of rich and fame.
And when he jumped on that girl, I thought, "Damn, is he heavy? Oh my, lucky girl!" My jaw drops. He must read PLEBA, he must!
As for the crazy Bono girls that go crazy when stuff like this happens, you do sound crazy, but I was one of you, just a few years ago! I understand the overwhelming of it all. And I have enough grace to let you go and have your fun whatever or however you want to, and it's alright with me for you to express yourself. This is a free world. And I don't take you as seriously as others do.
HAVE FUN!!!

u2granny said:

I wish people wouldn't lump all of Bono's fans into one category. Some of us are civilized too.

Apologies.

I don't usually like lumping people together, but only a small minority of the Bono girls are civilized.

Last edited:
Bono was so fantastic.Loved how he kept saying live,live.That was great they sang IWF and just loved how Bono was "making out"with the camera,he's back,and my mouth droped to the floor when he got on that womans lap,aaaa,I so wish that would be me.That was a great performance,can't wait for the tour now.

Lil'Bono said:

Why is it just the bono girls that get picked on in here? Some of the edge girls and larry girls are just as bad!!
Funny though the ones who like adam, are civilized!!!
:huh:

Actually, I've found that the Edge, Larry and Adam girls are the more civilized in Pleba.

Oh my, I have stayed out of this discussion so far, but I'm going to jump in to voice some impressions.

I agree with xtal's comments - I found them rational and put the seriousness (or lack of seriousness) of BONO'S EXUBERANT PERFORMANCE last night on SNL in proper perspective. :wink:

But I do think we need to keep our discussions of U2 on a bit more civilized level because most of us believe that U2 and/or their families/ Principle Management etc checks out U2 fansites to get a pulse on what U2 fans/followers are thinking regarding the band and the music.

Some of us have been feeling similar feeling for Bono FOR MANY YEARS (try almost 24 years), but we realize that as a man with a family that includes two teenage girls that are thought to check us out occasionally here, WE OWE IT TO BONO TO FIND RESPECTFUL WAYS TO POST OUR ENTHUSIASM FOR HIM. :up:

I got as excited (and disappointed that it wasn't me in that woman's place) as any of you, but I have decided to keep it to myself. I THINK BONO WOULD RESPECT THAT and so, that is what I did.

Some of what is said here I feel should be posted in PM's to keep a level of civility present here - we don't want the B-man to get disappointed in us for not using our better judgment regarding our affection for him. :hug:

I hope no one takes personal offense in my comments because none is meant. I just felt I had to offer my ideas in the most honest yet understanding way that I could.

BONO - WE LOVE YOU AND WE WISH YOU AND YOURS WELL ALWAYS. :bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

And I hope we all get at least one Bono moment with you in our lifetimes. :angel:

Ahh... Bono is just bracing us for the tricks up his (long) sleeves he is about to pull for his upcoming tour.

I know there will be hand biting, girl smooching, lap dancing in the upcoming tour. I know it!

Bonogirls: good luck with your Bono moment! I am sure standing in line to slow dance with him! So far I grabbed the number 4,235,905,231.

Thanks Jamila! Me rational? Nah. :wink:

xtal said:
Okay, apart from GibsonGirl ruining the sanguine moment of the SNL performance with her over-the-top seriousness, I quote Ali, "Life's too serious to be taken seriously."

Ali (who was quoting Oscar Wilde when she said that) is right. Life is too important to be taken seriously. Which is why I personally don't care to read about about how some seem to think Bono is a cocky bastard for giving some girl the moment of her life. I think that is taking the "lapdance" far too seriously.

Would I like it to have been me? Sure, I would be lying if I said I didn't. However, calling Bono names over it doesn't strike me as fair at all. And GibsonGirl ruined nothing by stating her opinion. Maybe the moment was ruined for her, did you ever think of that?

xtal said:
And as for the "young people" on board, maybe you should take away the Q, Rolling Stone, Blender and et al magazines where U2 swears and suggests sexual provocativeness profusively, and not allow these 'kids' to the U2 shows where Bono is known to yell, "Fuck yeah!" into his microphone in front of 50,000 people. If you are sensitive to the young people, then maybe they shouldn't even be allowed to listen to U2, as for a lot of it is swear words and about sexual references and deep issues that are much too mature for the young ones.

I see a huge difference here. Bono has become a sex symbol. There is no denying that. However, he is not our own personal boy toy and no one should expect him to be. To quote GibsonGirl, Bono doesn't owe anyone a lap dance, except Ali. What I think is inappropriate is giving the idea to the younger members here that he owes each of us something personally.

I don't see how calling Bono a cocky bastard was meant in a derogatory way at all....if it was taken that way then it was grossly misunderstood. It's a phrase that's been used interchangeably with 'rock star' on here several times by other people without any incident.

And for the love of God people, how would Bono or anyone for that matter be able to give someone a night's sleep?! By me saying he owed me that could not and should not have been taken seriously at all.....it was my way of saying, "Well I guess I'm not going to be able to sleep after seeing that".

Can we all just stop this? I've had arguably the worst week of my life and I'm sorry if the only and few times I have been happy or excited about something it was because of something U2 related, some little bright moment in a time of my life that is frankly rather dark. And my comments have been taken so far out of context it's ridiculous. Don't worry, that small balloon has been burst....back to my life.

Last edited:
:hug:

I got the Cocky Bastard bit (I heard it in my head with a british accent) and exactly how you meant it. Problem with the internet is that tone inflections just do not transfer through and things can get twisted pretty damn quickly :huh:

I watched the performances with my sister and she goes, "Wha?...wait! HA! Did he just..."

:yes: I hope she was a U2 fan, that's all I can say.

I am a civilised person! I swear!
I apologize profusely if I seemed like I was bashing or attacking GibsonGirl. I'm sorry if anyone's moment was ruined- in which I don't think anyone's was. I did not mean any harm at all.

Now let's give each other hugs because this might ruin the chances of Bono's "carefree" playfulness if in fact he does read this forum and sees how this draws out negativity and cat-fights and attacking of one another.

:hug: to ylimeU2 and GibsonGirl- especially- and to everyone else in Pleba.

Peace n Love to all!

I think that some of you need to relax and enjoy what life has to give you.
In this case, some of us have been enjoying what Bono has been giving us and there’s nothing wrong with it. I didn’t notice anyone giving anyone any ideas that they couldn’t have themselves.

ylimeU2 said:
To quote GibsonGirl, Bono doesn't owe anyone a lap dance, except Ali.

I don't think so either, but we should let them decide that, shouldn't we? They’re probably a lot more open minded and free-spirit than we think they are, and than most of us will ever be.

Lil'Bono said:
Look if ya don't want to hear what the bono girls have to say about Bono, then don't come to PLEBA!!
Why is it just the bono girls that get picked on in here? Some of the edge girls and larry girls are just as bad!!
Funny though the ones who like adam, are civilized!!!
:huh:

i'm not sure if all the girls are absolutely serious here.
about Adam: he's Lord Clayton so you have to be a Lady to be his girl... i'm his girl only in a half (the second one belongs to Edge, so according to what you've said i should be "just as bad" or maybe only half "just as bad" :wink:) :)

LostAtMoon said:
I think that some of you need to relax and enjoy what life has to give you.
In this case, some of us have been enjoying what Bono has been giving us and there’s nothing wrong with it. I didn’t notice anyone giving anyone any ideas that they couldn’t have themselves.
Agree! He just gives us what we want and no one gets hurt. (I did roll my tape back a couple of times just to make sure I saw what I saw. :drool: )

Wow! What's happening here? I've only been posting here for a short time but I know that its made up of all types. Many express themselves in different ways. Sometimes it shocks me, sometimes it cracks me up, and sometimes I don't feel the need to respond. Everyone expresses themselves in different ways. At no time would I feel the need to chastise someone to reduce them to rubble. There are better ways of doing it. Remember..you're not speaking to someone face to face...they can't tell by reading your messages if you are being gentle or callous,angry or just mildly annoyed.
I love coming here each day because I get a chuckle and I can indulge in my favorite subjects U2 & Bono. But more than that, I can actually get to know people because there is always the chance to chat, unlike other forums I've been on where someone may post once in a while.
Everyone here has been really nice and fun and the excitement is infectious. Maybe a little graphic here and there, but I can't believe its done in any way but in total fun....like girlfriends chatting on a Saturday night.

My two cents.

Back to the thread subject. U2's SNL performance was utterly outstanding!! I hadn't heard Sometimes.. yet and I actually got chills as I watched the performance. Bono wore his heart on his sleeve, on his face, and through his voice. I loved it. I was concerned that the studio version wouldn't have the same emotion. I was so thrilled to hear that the album version sounds just about the same.

Have to mention the thrusting. My jaw dropped to the ground. But what was funny to me is that he barely paused. He went over...did his thing..and moved on.
The reaction from the SNL cast was priceless. I have never seen that before. U2 are legends. Can't wait for the tour!!

I have to join in and agree that the SNL performance was fantastic!! I really don't have anything new to add about how good the performance was.

Am I the only one who thinks that the SNL cast that were crying at the end of IWF were possibly crying because they were laughing so hard from witnessing Bono's lap dance? I've certainly laughed so hard that I've cried.

Crying, either way sad or funny, it is quite a reaction!

I don't think I understood why they were wiping away tears, but i knew that that kind of reaction is incredible.

You know sweetie, i think you make a very good point there actually. You can't really tell by looking at the written word the way in which someone means whatever thay say. I think that i can see that people were just having fun by saying 'cocky bastard'. It was meant in a jokey fashion but it might just look really bad written down. Anyway, like you say xtal - peace and love to all!:wink:

Back
Top Bottom