U2 Newsnight Review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callumalden

Babyface
If youre looking for some U2 banter; check out this 10min discussion on the BBC's Newsnight Review... I have to say I agree on both sides, this album has 'issues'. I'll leave the rest for another day- here's the link: callumalden.tk (sorry it won't let me link ya directly - 15 postsor more i see) If you have issues with that link get at it thru my blog. Thanks for all the many encoders down the years, just thought I'd give 'something' back.

Try now, sorry my mac crashed *un-believing smile* It's all okay now; iBlog / Music - it's on the top entry. Now; what's the feeling? Anybody got thought on the DVD? And simple melodies... Bono's 'futuristic trainers' -these guys are not 'getting' the joke... or are we going nowhere?

Last edited:
Germaine Greer what in the fuc#ing hell would she know??? And the other asshole spouting on about Bob Dylan oh I'm mr intelligent music critic, Nobheads...there was only Paul Morley that knew what he was on about.....and thats from me and I'm not a big fan of the new album. The only thing I would agree with is when the other critic said half the record sounded like The Unforgettable Fire which is not a million miles from the truth in my opinion.

I don't think it's enough to use the 'what would they know about our precious u2" in this case, sorry. To be sucessful, to make U2 more of the same they need to be accessable and relavant. Germaine Greers' point was "this doesn't talk to me", which is really sad for her. But I certainly feel an alienation in regards Bono's lyrics, compared to say ATYCLB - where there was an obvious and direct "oh, i know bono, i know". My point is; when smart people don't geddit, what hope do we have picking up brothers and sisters to the U2 world. I'd love to hear from anyone that'd been inspired by Vertigo- really. No - Really.:ohmy:

I had to laugh when one critic said "oh h's 44 trying to sound 24, I want to know how the 44 year-old Bono feels" well maybe he should consider that not everyone resorts to jaded, "mature" singer-songwriting when they get older..I like the purpose and energy of the new songs.

If you can't tell Bono is 44 after listening to this record, well you can't hear then.

This is a record coming from a very mature U2.

How does Bono sound 24? Far from it. Maybe because he still has the drive and the energy to compete.

Was the referance to age not to do with the value of the lyrics, that's where I'd agree also. There are few and far-between great lyrics on HTDAAB. The purpose or idea must be in Bono's head- but following it through; it all gets complicated - I feel he's lost his way in many of the new songs.

callumalden said:
Was the referance to age not to do with the value of the lyrics, that's where I'd agree also. There are few and far-between great lyrics on HTDAAB. The purpose or idea must be in Bono's head- but following it through; it all gets complicated - I feel he's lost his way in many of the new songs.

There is one reason for this and that is he is no longer 100% into the music. He has too many "outside of the band interests" that have become more and more since 1998 and that has seen the music and lyrics suffer.

rjhbonovox said:

There is one reason for this and that is he is no longer 100% into the music. He has too many "outside of the band interests" that have become more and more since 1998 and that has seen the music and lyrics suffer.

Actually, I think his outside interests help the band and his lyrics. Edge can go mad w/o Bono there to F it up, and his "outside interests" make for great topics.

He didn't have any outside interests while they were recording The Joshua Tree? It's not like he was going out to Ethiopia for weeks on end.

Oh right, he was. Damn.

amniar said:
He didn't have any outside interests while they were recording The Joshua Tree? It's not like he was going out to Ethiopia for weeks on end.

Oh right, he was. Damn.

And South America.

Another review (skip through till 2nd item) over at bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/ram/saturdayreview.ram slightly less informed. Well educated thoughts on Bow-Know's words and Eno's sound. Eeeek.

If anything summed U2 up it was this review. One guy sat there having bought every album and was very much looking forward to the next tour, absolutely adored U2 knowing they had touched him in a way no other music had and wasn't going to change his opinion and two who loathed them and weren't going to change their opinion. The biggest cult band on earth.

MrBrau1 said:

Actually, I think his outside interests help the band and his lyrics. Edge can go mad w/o Bono there to F it up, and his "outside interests" make for great topics.

Mmmm oh right yeah and if he didn't have all the outside interests that would be really good for the band as well.:huh:

Back
Top Bottom