U2 (Minus Bono) playing in NYC Tonight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chris Martin's starry-eyed performance was weak and uncomfortable. It really didn't help that the other three members of U2 were as stone-faced as Martin was thrilled.

I cant imagine how they felt going on without Bono. This is a band who've always played TOGETHER and with one exception (Sydney 1993) no member has EVER missed a show. True, this was more of a promo appearance than an actual concert, but it def shows that we need our B-man. I'm sure he was trying to sneak back to NYC, casts and all, poor guy. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

Actually the "other 3" looked as relaxed as they have in years, probably embraced not being forced into Bono's shadow for a night.

indeed ^ ..no wonder larry was so excited..good for him..go larry!just wished edge did more with his guitar during WOWY..this was his time to shine without bono singing over his solos.

He's probably as bored with that song as Bono is.

Please don't tell me Kanye West was involved? Why U2 haven't disassociated themselves with this egotistical douchebag is beyond me?!?! Involving Bruce is brilliant and Chris Martin is understandable...but there's no excuse for Kanye West, he a complete and utter douche!!:angry:

Please don't tell me Kanye West was involved? Why U2 haven't disassociated themselves with this egotistical douchebag is beyond me?!?! Involving Bruce is brilliant and Chris Martin is understandable...but there's no excuse for Kanye West, he a complete and utter douche!!:angry:

:adam: He's the most groundbreaking artist in music today.

So I watched the ESPN feed this morning and holy crap if it doesn't sound a million times better than the YouTube feed.

Where's the ESPN link? All I've gotten is the YT one. Wouldn't mind checking out that one, especially if the sound quality is better. :up:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

Bono has shown over and over (at least) for the last 15 years or so, that he doesn't care about the people he gets associated with as long as they help to whatever his cause is.

People has already said how Kanye was arguably the "highlight" of the show, attracting more attention to it, and that was the point.

RED wins in this case, and I guess that's what matters to him.

You could probably substitute "Bono" for "Kanye West" on various forms and elicit the same responses positive and negative.

You could probably substitute "Bono" for "Kanye West" on various forms and elicit the same responses positive and negative.

That's exactly what I thought when I read that post about Kayne. That's why people don't agree and get along, everyone is calling everyone's names. Same for Chris Martin. We demand more respect for Bono and U2 but are unable to respect other artists. And I'm no Kayne fan at all.

:doh: :doh: :doh:

Sent from my ass crack

And you people complain about others here not getting your humor when it comes to your endless, mostly unfunny ramblings in other threads.

Yes, I find the idea of that Substitute-shirt funny and I know they didn't force him to wear it.

Adam's new basslines in the chorus for Streets are great.

Edge's effects in the second verse are amazing.

Bruce though...is that how is voice is these days? His Bruceness was a bit much.

Has anyone ever asked Edge what he's thinking when he plays they opening riff? It has never failed to bring me chills when listening or playing it.

Chris Martin did fine job, and I'm surprised to feel that way. And though I'm not a fan of his I was really happy for him to get to sing with U2. He must have been pretty thrilled.

These performances really show how important Bono is to the band though.

And you people complain about others here not getting your humor when it comes to your endless, mostly unfunny ramblings in other threads.

Really? Probably been a long while since I complained bout that..I don't give a flying fuck if you don't get my "endless, mostly unfunny ramblings in other threads"...and this is key..because I'm mainly being sarcastic, banging out quick one-liners from my phone that are pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things. I can't quite put my finger on when it happened, but I've somehow managed to go from being quite earnest to a state of can't possibly care any less.

Contrasted with you, who has her earnest constantly turnt up to 11. I mean, you actually sincerely really believe the shit you write, which is hilarious in and of itself. There's noone here that would even remotely assume that you were joking with that post. No way.

I just watched the U2-1 performances and they were... interesting. I never realized how weak Chris Martin's voice is. It was almost like the band had to tone it down so he didn't get drowned out in BD. I'm sure it was a dream come true for him, but it made me miss Bono. Bono really does have a powerful voice.

And Bruce Springsteen? I've never been a fan of his voice or the way he sings. He sounds like he's got his finger caught in something or like someone's standing on his toes. ISHFWILF was OK but Streets was a travesty. :tsk:

So I guess my overall impression of this whole thing is that it was nice of them to fill in for Bono, but you can't replace Bono.

And how about Larry introducing Kanye West? He made up for 30 years of hardly speaking with one yell. :ohmy:

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Yeah, no kidding! And people think Bono has a huge ego, when this guy obviously has a problem. But it's OK because he's a hip-hop star.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Finally got around to watching the performances. Springsteen and Martin both did a nice job, though Streets and Beautiful Day were definitely the weakest. With or Without You was great. It was nice hearing a strong falsetto at the end of the song and having the verses actually being sung in a lower register rather than the talk-sing higher register that Bono has used over the last decade. Martin doesn't have the strength in the chorus that Bono has, but everything else sounded great.

Back
Top Bottom