u2 is too much American directed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

POP-ROMANCER

War Child
I think a lot of you (especially americans) won't agree with me but I think u2 is too much america directed. I think they do a lot more for america than for the rest of the world (for example europe, where they come from). I know America is a big market $$$.
1. The last tours, all of them kicked off in America. Why won't they start a tour in Europe and then go to america. Also America have 2 legs, the first and the second.

2. On the u2.com site all prices are in $ and not in euro's or pounds, while ireland have got the euro.

3. Luckily on this album they haven't got a song fr4om an american city. Pop had Miami and ATYCLB New York. Why? For tyhe americans? I think...

4. I wasn't surprised when they chose New York for the shoot of ABOY video on the truck. But why wasn't this in Paris or London or Amsterdam?

Are u2 afraid of losing fans in America? Or is it for the money?

That's a really good question, and as an American, I don't disagree with you.

Perhaps they still feel they have something to prove to America, and still hang onto that romantic notion of an Irish (and more often than not - British) band conquering America.

Or maybe...they just think we have short attention spans. :lol: :shrug:

POP-ROMANCER said:

3. Luckily on this album they haven't got a song fr4om an american city. Pop had Miami and ATYCLB New York. Why? For tyhe americans? I think...

Unfortunatly they had - City Of Blinding Lights is about New York.
I agree with you. I don't know what might be the reason...

1) I'm not sure why they structure their tour that way - but they seem to play smaller venues in America and larger stadiums in Europe. It may be family oriented as they are near home for the summer instead of playing an extended leg and not coming back.

2) the new u2.com is based in California. The dates are displayed European.

3) City of Blinding Lights is about New York.

4) The rest of the HTDAAB videos were shot in Europe. (Vertigo, Sometimes) Plus, U2 did promotions in Europe and the USA for the release of the album.

I'm sure some of the decisions are money (the amount of concerts played in the US) and some of the decisions are inspirational. (Songs such as Miami & New York). None of it is about losing fans in America.

Last edited:
Well I couldnt imagine a U2 song about melbourne! :)

The Best Irish Band havent been here for Years
Now its such a diffrent place
Got a new MCG Capacity
As For Waverley.....its been Demolished
Greeks, Chinese, Some Guys are Spanish
The U2 nuts
Are now Fantantics
It wont be long...
Until U2 are back, In MEL-BOUR-NE
Melbourne, Melbourne

:lol:

5. Elevation tour dvd ---> Boston
6. Where the streets have no name (video) --> NY
7. Vertigo tour (dvd) ---> I think...NY or something

bono_man2002 said:
Well I couldnt imagine a U2 song about melbourne! :)

The Best Irish Band havent been here for Years
Now its such a diffrent place
Got a new MCG Capacity
As For Waverley.....its been Demolished
Greeks, Chinese, Some Guys are Spanish
The U2 nuts
Are now Fantantics
It wont be long...
Until U2 are back, In MEL-BOUR-NE
Melbourne, Melbourne

:lol:

Well you guys had Zoo tvg sydney

POP-ROMANCER said:

Well you guys had Zoo tvg sydney

Well, we were lucky to get Zoo TV at all.
They were gonna leave us out....and well as for ticket sales (for Adeliade at least, which was not Half Full) Am not suprised why.

America sucks, just because u2 loves them.
They aren't near home in summer just because they play in Europe then, they have concert every 3-4 days.

What matters is that u2 plays 3 days in the row in Chicago/Boston/NY... but won't come to Croatia, or Slovenia or Hungary...or even Australia.

DID YOU FORGET ABOUT US????
FAT AMERICANS AREN'T ALL U2 FANS!!!!!!!!

U2 have forgotten about non-American fans!!!
You fat Americans aren't every u2 fan.

Come to Europe more times.

They should make American Tour-1.4.-25.7.
European Tour-30.7.-29.10.
Australia And Asia-1.11.-20.12

What about making 2 Stuck videos-normal and SUPERBOWL one

POP-ROMANCER said:

1. The last tours, all of them kicked off in America. Why won't they start a tour in Europe and then go to america. Also America have 2 legs, the first and the second.

Are u2 afraid of losing fans in America? Or is it for the money?

/note/ - I live in Zoorope... Europe I mean...

1) Because in america it doesn't matter when the tour is... while in Europe summer shows, festivals...etc make the most money...

Luckily - IMO - HTDAAB is less 'american' than ATYCLB... the sales are also showing it...

U2 have always done more promo/tours/awards shows etc in America always have and always will I'm afraid.

As for touring I wouldnt want to see them on the first few shows as thats when they are ironing out tech problems etc and every time (or at least it seems that way)they start touring Bono always loses his voice!!

The bottom line is the money they make over there although with the dollar being so weak at the moment they wont make as much as usual!!Mind you in view of the fact that we in Europe are paying DOUBLE for our concert tickets compared to the USA $49.50 to £55 I think we are subsidising the first leg.

But why they insist on doing a third leg in the exact same places always amazes me I could understand it if they played venues they missed out before, but I cant see this third leg being any different.

I think the word you are looking for is obsessed!!

1) Also, US gets by far the most promotional shows (remember how many gigs and TV shows they did on ATYCLB promo tour and on the HTDAAB promo?)
I don't care so much where they start, but Europe and rest of the world (Australia, S. America, Asia) are getting neglected due to so much US loving. Not to mention the cheapest Europe tickets are about twice the price of cheapest US tickets.

Originally posted by HelloAngel
Or maybe...they just think we have short attention spans.

That's what I think it is. Europeans never seem to forget anyone and still consider older singers and bands cool. In Britain for example, George Michael, Oasis, and even the Spice Girls as solo acts are as popular as they were in when they first started out, yet here in the US, we're wondering whatever happened to them.

Because "Americans are a little slower then the rest of the world" Bono said so himself in an interview when they did the 2 sold out Popmart shows here in Edmonton....U2 still needs to bang down the doors just to get their material played in the US in general and it is hard for an international act to make it in America album after album because in my opinion they have a lot of blind patriotism towards their own.

Pero said:
They aren't near home in summer just because they play in Europe then, they have concert every 3-4 days.

What matters is that u2 plays 3 days in the row in Chicago/Boston/NY... but won't come to Croatia, or Slovenia or Hungary...or even Australia.

You suck. Big time.

Pero said:

So you're insulting America and U2 the band you love so much.

good job... "fan"

It's too bad Pero did not listen to the mods warnings.

Still it is no excuse for some of you to stoop to his level and call names.

POP-ROMANCER said:
I think a lot of you (especially americans) won't agree with me but I think u2 is too much america directed. I think they do a lot more for america than for the rest of the world (for example europe, where they come from). I know America is a big market $$$.

I'm still waiting for those "Lovetown" dates....

POP-ROMANCER said:

2. On the u2.com site all prices are in $ and not in euro's or pounds, while ireland have got the euro.
The dollar is still the de-facto world's business currency

POP-ROMANCER said:

Because of the atmosphere they invoked ?

POP-ROMANCER said:

4. I wasn't surprised when they chose New York for the shoot of ABOY video on the truck. But why wasn't this in Paris or London or Amsterdam?
Because they happened to be in town for the Brooklyn shoot ? Kill two birds with one stone.

Pero said:

Ah yes, that famed European intelligence. tolerance and sense of ironic wit at work.........

well, americans do work realy hard for this kind of opinions you know...
...so hard that everything called "american" means bad, poor, weak, second class... even the "all mighty" dollar means less and less every day...
...not to mention the very american Hollywood is "moving"/"running away" to Europe, New Zealand, Australia...

Of course it's not about everyone and everything... but it is in human nature to see only bad things (proof: cardosino's post), in that we are truly united.

America realy needs a "culture revolution", realy fast...

I'd like to point out that in introducing City Of Blinding Lights, Bono has said it's not only about New York but also about London.

That said, we could use another Lovetown Tour. And I don't say that as a Lovetown fan, but as a New Zealander who's sick of U2 rejecting the rest of the world. They haven't been to my homeland in twelve years. They haven't been to my current nation of residence in eight. That's embarrassing.

In fact, this is probably the only thing I hold against U2.

I thing Bono said that the song is about New York from the point of view of a person that's in London... but I might be wrong...:huh:

bathiu said:
well, americans do work realy hard for this kind of opinions you know...
...so hard that everything called "american" means bad, poor, weak, second class... even the "all mighty" dollar means less and less every day...
...not to mention the very american Hollywood is "moving"/"running away" to Europe, New Zealand, Australia...

Of course it's not about everyone and everything... but it is in human nature to see only bad things (proof: cardosino's post), in that we are truly united.

America realy needs a "culture revolution", realy fast...

Tell us, where do you live and how well do you know America and it's people that you can conclude America needs a "culture revolution" ?

Had there been anything remotely intelligent or good in the previous post, I would have seen it.

Still, if you see "America sucks" or "FAT AMERICANS AREN'T ALL U2 FANS!!!!!!!!" as the height of an intellectual intelligent discussion........

Oh, and I'm not American BTW....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom