U2.com's latest subscription "gift"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I must be the only guy that's been to shows on the last 3 tours and just enjoyed it,not moaning about set lists or phantom guitar players. Glasgow was rocking on the I-e tour,so was Twickenham on the JT tour. And Manchester was amazing last year. So I'm that rare U2 fan that has no complaints.

I must be the only guy that's been to shows on the last 3 tours and just enjoyed it,not moaning about set lists or phantom guitar players. Glasgow was rocking on the I-e tour,so was Twickenham on the JT tour. And Manchester was amazing last year. So I'm that rare U2 fan that has no complaints.

No complaining from me either , last 3 tours have been amazing [emoji106]

The day we just sit around talking about how great U2 is without any sort of constructive criticism is the day we might as well all join @u2 instead.

I thoroughly enjoyed all three of the last tours. I thoroughly disagree with Laz on the JT tour.

There still are improvements that could have beenar, specifically on the US e/i leg.

The day we just sit around talking about how great U2 is without any sort of constructive criticism is the day we might as well all join @u2 instead.

I thoroughly enjoyed all three of the last tours. I thoroughly disagree with Laz on the JT tour.

There still are improvements that could have beenar, specifically on the US e/i leg.
Agree,but for people to say they are finished and going through the motions is just wrong. Any tour that has acrobat played live is worth going to see.

Its only us obsessed fans that care about different set lists every night. I took my girlfriend to a JT show and e-i show, and she is a casual fan at best. And she said the were awesome each time, especially the e-i show as you are so close to them.

They played the little things at the first twickenham show and she asked me to add it to our playlist on spotify, had to say I couldn't as they hadn't released it yet! That's their only downfall,play a great song live months before the album is released,then drop it on the actual tour!

I thought for sure Little Things was going to be the epic show closer before the EI tour happened. I wouldn’t have believed that they weren’t going to play it at all.

I enjoyed all 3 tours as well, just thought they seemed a little less into the Joshua Tree then the tours supporting the new albums. I also agree that the EI tour got much better about halfway through Europe, when the overhauled the setlist. The first setlist wasn’t bad, but reusing the Iris-cedarwood-subs-uteow sequence was kinda lame.

Exactly. I’ve greatly enjoyed every U2 gig I’ve been to, but nothing is so perfect that there aren’t ways to improve it (to misquote John Siracusa). E&I was far more ambitious than I was expecting, which was great, but my wishing that they’d done more to arrange the songs for the stage doesn’t take away from the good things they did on tour.

I thought for sure Little Things was going to be the epic show closer before the EI tour happened. I wouldn’t have believed that they weren’t going to play it at all.

I also agree that the EI tour got much better about halfway through Europe, when the overhauled the setlist. The first setlist wasn’t bad, but reusing the Iris-cedarwood-subs-uteow sequence was kinda lame.

I didn’t particularly care for the Chaplin intro, but the Zoo section in the middle was definitely an improvement.

The tricky thing about Little Things would have been figuring out where to put it. I can think of 3 spots:
- opening the encore before One
- closing the main set after COBL
- (longshot) at the start before The Blackout

*I* from my armchair think any of these would have worked fine, but they would have been hard to sell to the band, I suspect.

Two more songs have been made available for download, California (There Is No End To Love) and 13 (There Is A Light). Plus they say that shipping will finally begin next month.
https://www.u2.com/news/title/two-more-downloads---and-delivery-update
The big news is - and thank you everyone for your patience - dispatch of the physical double-CD set begins next month. (It looks beautiful!)

Once the physical copies start leaving the warehouse in October we’ll email subscribers with more specific timings.

That's about time, as we've been waiting for this set to be finalized for ages. (I believe it's even close to when the new subscriber gift will be announced)

Wow, California kicks ass live. From the couple of videos I'd seen I had vague memories that the chorus didn't come across well, but that's not true at all, this is great... it's a shame it didn't find a permanent home in the setlist. The Red Flag Day of I&E, in that sense.

13 here isn't bad either, although not including the phonecall to Ali at the end was an odd choice - unless he only did that in the American leg and I missed that detail. Based on this recording I'd like to see a verse/chorus of 13 used as the segue into Streets sometime.

Last edited:
13 here isn't bad either, although not including the phonecall to Ali at the end was an odd choice - unless he only did that in the American leg and I missed that detail. Based on this recording I'd like to see a verse/chorus of 13 used as the segue into Streets sometime.

I never witnessed a version of 13 where Bono did that. And was at the Montreal shows (the only NA shows I attended). Aren't you mixing things up with Bono's 'facetime' with Ali after Acrobat (and before You're The Best Thing About Me)?

I was at one of the few shows where they played “California”, in Chicago. It was probably the most well received of all the new songs, and the band definitely nailed it. I assumed after that night it would become a b-stage regular, because it went off so well. Instead, they didn’t play it again for the rest of the tour. Silly U2...

Wow, California kicks ass live. From the couple of videos I'd seen I had vague memories that the chorus didn't come across well, but that's not true at all, this is great... it's a shame it didn't find a permanent home in the setlist. The Red Flag Day of I&E, in that sense.

He never did the phone call during 13.

The phone call came before Best Thing.

I was at one of the few shows where they played “California”, in Chicago. It was probably the most well received of all the new songs, and the band definitely nailed it. I assumed after that night it would become a b-stage regular, because it went off so well. Instead, they didn’t play it again for the rest of the tour. Silly Typical U2...
Fixed

I never witnessed a version of 13 where Bono did that. And was at the Montreal shows (the only NA shows I attended). Aren't you mixing things up with Bono's 'facetime' with Ali after Acrobat (and before You're The Best Thing About Me)?

Yup - as you and Headache mentioned, I must have mixed that up.

Starting shipping in October means october 2020. It has been almost a year since the announcement. Unbelievable.

I just hope they make all the songs available to download soon. I’m not even sure I have a CD player that works. I just want you upload to my Apple Music so it shows in my library.

I just hope they make all the songs available to download soon. I’m not even sure I have a CD player that works. I just want you upload to my Apple Music so it shows in my library.

It’s the least they could do. They still continue to string us along, though.

Well, 2 more songs just became available for download: Iris (from Montreal, 2018) and The Blackout (from Belfast, 2018). And the article on U2.com shows a video of the package rolling off the presses.
https://www.u2.com/news/title/rolling-off-the-presses-

Latest news from the pressing plant is that manufacturing will be complete early next week and dispatch begin shortly after. Depending on delivery times and customs clearance, we’re advised that subscribers will begin to receive their double CD sets later this month.

I love Edge’s stuff during the verses of The Blackout. Really gives it an extra dimension.

At first I was bummed they didn’t include a 2015 Iris, but this one works just fine. “Iris says that will be the death of her but it was not me” still nearly makes me well up every time.

What is the difference between 2015 Iris and 2018 Iris? Maybe I haven’t been paying attention..

The “something in your eyes” bit between the verses was removed, though Bono would generally sing that melody over the intro and outro.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom