U2 at the EMA'S???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Naive would in fact be assuming the emotional catharsis he's displaying isn't genuine and only showmanship

there, that's what i'm getting at. hope that's helpful.

i have no desire to get into word games, i've made one small point about one small performance and am going to leave it at that.

hola DEA

One cannot tarnish what has rusted through the ages
Only time can wipe the smile of defeat off of the stony warriors crown

There was a big wave that came in with the storm and threatened to swallow up everything in it's path.

People vanished, fled, left for higher ground where the hills could save them if they only know how to climb and when to duck.

At the gate keeper between the places of danger and relief, some friends and i kept a vigil with a lone man who made up his mind to stand defiant against natures wrath. He'd had enough of this life and wasn't going to stand by and be swept away like shells from the land.

When the sea came upon us the sky had lost its breath, the space they shared was intolerable and miserable for each other. We escaped a certain fate and became the undertow to the belly of the beast.

Underneath it all was a sense of overwhelming peace, an eternal appreciation of the events which were so much larger than our comprehension.

In time, none of this will be remembered or even matter, only the secrets passed down among the mermaids to their decendents.

As the sand keeps changing its form.

Pirate U2 of 2014 went to the EMA's with no video or single for the song they performed because Pirate U2 of 2014 doesn't give a damn. They killed it. Just like pirates do. That's the new era of U2. Get used to it.

Agreed. Although I don't find it "boring as a dog's ass." I think it's alright, but definitely already overrated.

One thing that irks me is the feeling that this song seems to have absolutely nothing to do with the concept of SOI yet they're pushing it harder than any other song. Lyrically, it could be about anything.

And this whole "acoustic" performance campaign seems vaguely at odds with the album as well. It's almost like they're already regretting the Songs of Innocence theme and instead considering some kind of MTV Unplugged idea to showcase the "power of songwriting." Again, it's about the songs. Songs. Songs. Not of Innocence! Just songs. Whole thing seems confusing and honestly, a bit desperate. They're pushing WAY too hard to be taken seriously.

Overthink much? This is just promo, this isn't the tour. To say they're already regretting a theme is ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Pirate U2 of 2014 went to the EMA's with no video or single for the song they performed because Pirate U2 of 2014 doesn't give a damn. They killed it. Just like pirates do. That's the new era of U2. Get used to it.

Yup.

They didn't hire Guy O to continue marketing themselves in the same way as the previous decades. The game has changed, there's too much noise and media battling for attention. Gotta cut through it somehow and step out of the sea of sameness. Zig when others are zagging. They did it with the album release, and they did it with EBW on the EMA's. Had they played Miracle or EBW in the album version it would have been a blip on the radar.

The thing about a band as big and successful as U2 is that you aren't going to please everybody. If you don't like these acoustic versions, listen to something else from U2. If U2 is boring you in general go find another band surely there is something out there for you.

There's nothing better than feeling that our opinions are itchy for so many people out there. :D

Yes, because when Bono did all that before it was genuine. Or at least it looked genuine. In these performances he looks to me like a guy trying to do an impersonation of himself, and it's just a bit all over the top to me. I'm just not buying that he's genuinely have an emotional catharsis over EBW on the EMA's or Jools Holland.

Move on from what, U2? U2 hasn't been the centre of my musical world for quite some time. And in any event, it's a little odd to say. For one thing, Bono's "passion" is not what sets him apart, at least not entirely; lots of performers have passion and to say this is frankly an insult to Bono. And just because I don't care for these acoustic versions they're doing on the promo tour it's time for me to "move on"?

Agreed. I also had the perception of some sort of (eventually unintentional or unconscious) emotional overacting.

To me, THIS is genuinely emotional:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuFMoWV1cns

THIS is genuinely emotional (even counting with the purpose it was made for):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqtkik7nTik

THIS is geniunely emotional (and I'm not a "Kite" lover):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnTcjlcDkmE

The song was nearly finished 4 years ago. It was better then. It's part of the NLOTH world, and seems to have absolutely nothing to do with Songs of Innocence, other than some flimsy "me and Ali as teenagers" explanation. Honestly, you could say the song's about Adam and Larry and it would hardly make a difference.

Yeap. Let's not all pretend we forgot that "Every Breaking Wave" was almost a lock in No Line On The Horizon's tracklist until it was dropped from it in the last minute.

You not being a Kite lover is reason enough to disregard your opinion on emotion.

And using the fact that EBW was being worked on back during NLOTH to justify the fact that it somehow doesn't fit on SOI and then somehow diminishes the emotion that Bono feels for it is ludicrous. I'm sure there are dozens of songs left over from every batch of work they do. It takes in new direction and life and comes to the fore once it's ready.
It was more than obvious that it was NOT ready to have it on NLOTH. The performances of it were really rough- it was a song with strong verses that died every time it got to a point where a chorus should be.

And just because SOI has songs about their youth doesn't mean it's out of place. The Troubles is maybe the best song on the album, but doesn't fit that mold.

EBW is definitely more open ended and nebulous in its meaning, I would say this goes for many of the bands biggest and most beloved hits. One, WOWY, ISHFWILF for example.

I think it's obvious at this point that this song is important to them and they believe in it. I balance the showman Bono with the true emotional Bono and of course both were present at the mtv performance. I think he knew a lot rode on that performance. He came out swinging and I think, got swept up in the momentum of it. I think it was strong and beautiful and was a stark statement that a band, now named the longest running signed band of all time, can play to the same audience that came to see Nikki manaj and they killed.

i think it's more like the incessant whining just gets a bit tedious sometimes, i mean, everybody knows how you feel already - you seriously don't need to keep banging the point home just to get some attention :lol:

You not being a Kite lover is reason enough to disregard your opinion on emotion.

And using the fact that EBW was being worked on back during NLOTH to justify the fact that it somehow doesn't fit on SOI and then somehow diminishes the emotion that Bono feels for it is ludicrous. I'm sure there are dozens of songs left over from every batch of work they do. It takes in new direction and life and comes to the fore once it's ready.
It was more than obvious that it was NOT ready to have it on NLOTH. The performances of it were really rough- it was a song with strong verses that died every time it got to a point where a chorus should be.

And just because SOI has songs about their youth doesn't mean it's out of place. The Troubles is maybe the best song on the album, but doesn't fit that mold.

EBW is definitely more open ended and nebulous in its meaning, I would say this goes for many of the bands biggest and most beloved hits. One, WOWY, ISHFWILF for example.

I think it's obvious at this point that this song is important to them and they believe in it. I balance the showman Bono with the true emotional Bono and of course both were present at the mtv performance. I think he knew a lot rode on that performance. He came out swinging and I think, got swept up in the momentum of it. I think it was strong and beautiful and was a stark statement that a band, now named the longest running signed band of all time, can play to the same audience that came to see Nikki manaj and they killed.

:up:

I havent heard such rave reviews for a u2 tv performance for ages. I mean from the uk music and national press.The large majority including non u2 fans were blown away by it.

Even my wife was impressed and it takes alot for my wife to be impressed with my favourite band.

She went to a 360 show with me and her words on sunday were"thats so much better then Bono swinging on a cable cord with a jacket on that had flashing lights coming out of it" ?

I havent heard such rave reviews for a u2 tv performance for ages. I mean from the uk music and national press.The large majority including non u2 fans were blown away by it.

Even my wife was impressed and it takes alot for my wife to be impressed with my favourite band.

She went to a 360 show with me and her words on sunday were"thats so much better then Bono swinging on a cable cord with a jacket on that had flashing lights coming out of it" ?
Ha! They must all be fooled by this insincere clown named Bono.
I will now go on sit on top of my mountain of superior taste and knowledge and judge them with the appropriate amount of disdain.

I will now go on sit on top of my mountain of superior taste and knowledge and judge them with the appropriate amount of disdain.

Really????

The only negative views ive heard are on here which is a u2 fan site?that just dosent make sense to me

Overthink much? This is just promo, this isn't the tour. To say they're already regretting a theme is ridiculous.

Well, they did hint at doing an acoustic tour, mixed with an "explosive" set. That's all fine and dandy, and usually what they do anyway. Although it was the comment Bono made about Rubin that made me raise an eyebrow. This whole stripping everything back plan seems kind of the wrong time to me, especially since most of the songs on the album are anything but stripped back, and all the better for it. They have so many fun, electric, upbeat and creative songs to jam out to, I don't know why they'd all of a sudden switch lanes and go unplugged. This whole Rubin approach is pre-NLOTH. Why go back all of a sudden after just releasing the new album?

That's all. Of course we don't know what will eventually happen. Perhaps the "regret" part of my post was a little obnoxious. Wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

And then I will go to a U2 website and let everyone know just how stupid and sheltered they are, compared to me, and I'll take joy in disabusing their enjoyment of new music. Because that's fun for me.

Sent from

And then I will go to a U2 website and let everyone know just how stupid and sheltered they are, compared to me, and I'll take joy in disabusing their enjoyment of new music. Because that's fun for me.
What's the purpose of superiority if you don't use it to enlighten and educate sheep?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom