U2 at Hollywood Bowl 10/15/11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank God this message board wasn't around for Rattle and Hum's release.

"Lawrence, if I had feet like those, I wouldn't want them in the film."
"Well if I had a head like that, I'd bleedin' bury it."

OMG?! Are Edge and Larry fighting?!

No. It's called a sense of humor. Bono was, if anything taking a couple light jabs at his own band and Jimmy Iovine, a friend of his. Relax.

funny u should say that because i thought he was in better spirits then usual and very funny, poking fun at the 'non hits' and the bits about the string section girls and edge and his 'beats'

A little nervous in that setting, but the hits talk was funny. As was the Iovine comment.

11o´clock said:
Hadn´t you ever heard it on the other tours before?

Like Trojanchick, I hadn't heard Desire or SATS live either. It was an amazing night for me too. Them opening with Desire and hearing A man and a woman made it completely worth it for me. I feel so lucky

thank god this message board wasn't around for rattle and hum's release.

"lawrence, if i had feet like those, i wouldn't want them in the film."
"well if i had a head like that, i'd bleedin' bury it."

omg?! Are edge and larry fighting?!

No. It's called a sense of humor. Bono was, if anything taking a couple light jabs at his own band and jimmy iovine, a friend of his. Relax.

this!!

gvox said:
Were you there Outsider?

I sure was! Funny thing about that is I had planned a big overseas trip long before this show was announced. As it turned out, the show was scheduled about 4hrs after my flight was supposed to land! Awesome alignment of the stars :)

I made it back from my trip safely and rushed from the airport, unloaded, changed in 10 minutes and made it to the show. I realize this is more info than you asked but I'm just thinking about how thankful everything worked out. The surprises of the night made it that much better!

I sure was! Funny thing about that is I had planned a big overseas trip long before this show was announced. As it turned out, the show was scheduled about 4hrs after my flight was supposed to land! Awesome alignment of the stars :)

I made it back from my trip safely and rushed from the airport, unloaded, changed in 10 minutes and made it to the show. I realize this is more info than you asked but I'm just thinking about how thankful everything worked out. The surprises of the night made it that much better!

I was so happy you made it! :hug:

Hah thanks for relating the story!

A little nervous in that setting, but the hits talk was funny. As was the Iovine comment.

I have a very "special" sense of humor, something that sometimes gets me in trouble because I work with groups and if I work with a group where people don't know me well enought they are sometimes offended by my comments because they don't understand my sense of humor, so I have to be very careful about that. That means that I usually understand the weirdest kind of humor in a person, where others fail to see the funny side. But seriously, I'm still kind of unable to see Bono's comments as funny. I don't know which point exactly I'm missing, but I simply don't think it sounded very funny or ironic when he said what he said. It sounded dry and bitter and I hardly ever heard him speak like that before. I would never call that "funny".

I thought it was pretty self deprecating humor. The expectation at something like this is just to play the hits. Bono said they would play stuff they thought should be a hit. That song was A Man and a Woman, an album track off of an album with two huge hits. The 2nd song was One, which is considered by many casuals to be U2's best song and is certainly one of their biggest hits.

Bono is self-deprecating a lot and the comments about Jimmy Iovine I figured were just ribs that friends give one another.

I don't get the Iovine controversy. I was there and I must have misunderstood what he said. I figured Iovine was in the audience and he was giving him a shout out, I rolled my eyes thinking he was giving Jimmy credit lol. I'm sure you heard what he said better than I did.

Someone mentioned Angel of Harlem- why didn't they play that! I enjoyed the "non hits" but I think that would have made more sense and gone over better.

I had a great time, loved the strings and Bono's voice was really fantastic. The other bands were so much fun too. I think we saw a different show, we didn't have most of the clips referenced in this thread. Celebrities came out to speak but the clips we saw were of families benefiting from various programs. The Ben Stiller skit being the exception, hopefully you all saw that.

Boy there really are some strange people here who call them selfs U2 fans but dont get Bono's sence of hummor:ohmy: what he said im shure was all tounge in check & ment to be funny,yes he may of been nervious but he may of also been playing to some sad sack people.
I for one the performance all of it including the Humor :cute: & if by now you dont gets thats Bono you probally never will he is only a human

Boy there really are some strange people here who call them selfs U2 fans but dont get Bono's sence of hummor:ohmy:

I don't "call myself a fan", I'm pretty sure I am a fan and I've had lots and lots of Bono's humour over the years and love his humour and understand it quite well. I'm just saying that there was something strange about that night, but that's just my observation. Maybe it wasn't and if people who were actually there say they experienced it differently, that's fine enough for me. I'm not worrying or anything, just saying that B sounded different to me than usually.

I took some photos from the nosebleed seats. Best I could get with a little point and shoot from way up there. :reject:

ADecadeofDifference10-15-2011HollywoodBowl.jpg

ADecadeofDifference10-15-2011LosAngeles-20111015-00400.jpg

ADecadeofDifference10-15-2011EdgeBonoKnaan1.jpg

ADecadeofDifference10-15-2011EdgeBonoKnaan2.jpg

ADecadeofDifference10-15-2011EdgeBono6.jpg

ADecadeofDifference10-15-2011EdgeBono3.jpg

ADecadeofDifference10-15-2011EdgeBono4.jpg

ADecadeofDifference10-15-2011EdgeBono7.jpg

ADecadeofDifference10-15-2011EdgeBono1.jpg

ADecadeofDifference10-15-2011EdgeBono9.jpg

ADecadeofDifference10-15-2011EdgeBono10.jpg

This was the closing act, but it's pretty! the lighting was much dimmer during Bono and Edge than most of the other performers.

Gorgeous venue.
ADecadeofDifference10-15-2011HollywoodBowl2.jpg

ADecadeofDifference10-15-2011HollywoodBowl1.jpg

ADecadeofDifference10-15-2011Clinton.jpg

:shifty: Cheater pics I took of the big screen
ADecadeofDifference10-15-2011Edge.jpg

ADecadeofDifference10-15-2011EdgeBonoClinton1.jpg

ADecadeofDifference10-15-2011EdgeClinton1.jpg

ADecadeofDifference10-15-2011Bono1.jpg

ADecadeofDifference10-15-2011Bono2.jpg

ADecadeofDifference10-15-2011Bono3.jpg

ADecadeofDifference10-15-2011Bono4.jpg

ADecadeofDifference10-15-2011Bono6.jpg

^:love:

I watched the whole show again very late two nights ago on my laptop in bed and it was very special seeing Bono so much into the songs with his eyes closed and all, love the close ups. Also, very good to see Bill Clinton appreciating Edge's work for New Orleans. Seeing the three together on stage was lovely.

I don't "call myself a fan", I'm pretty sure I am a fan and I've had lots and lots of Bono's humour over the years and love his humour and understand it quite well. I'm just saying that there was something strange about that night, but that's just my observation. Maybe it wasn't and if people who were actually there say they experienced it differently, that's fine enough for me. I'm not worrying or anything, just saying that B sounded different to me than usually.
thats cool & im pleased people all have there own opions of things, i just watched it again & i really carnt see anything all that wrong with it.

Boy there really are some strange people here who call them selfs U2 fans but dont get Bono's sence of hummor:ohmy: what he said im shure was all tounge in check & ment to be funny,yes he may of been nervious but he may of also been playing to some sad sack people.
I for one the performance all of it including the Humor :cute: & if by now you dont gets thats Bono you probally never will he is only a human

Spelling and grammar aside, I heartily endorse this statement. Although I wouldn't expect casual U2 fans to necessarily get it, but the comments from some of the people here who I know have (just like me) obsessively watched everything that's come out of the man's mouth for the last 30 years are just downright silly and alot of ado about nothing.

Thanks Bonocomet for the photos. Very very nice! I love the bowl. Do you have any "establishing shots" so we can see the crowds walking up through the hill or the picnic areas?

Spelling and grammar aside, I heartily endorse this statement. Although I wouldn't expect casual U2 fans to necessarily get it, but the comments from some of the people here who I know have (just like me) obsessively watched everything that's come out of the man's mouth for the last 30 years are just downright silly and alot of ado about nothing.

The tone on this forum is obviously getting worse every day.

I don't think having a different opinion from the majority of people is automatically "silly", but oh well, you can call it what you want.
This discussion is officially over for me. I agree with you that it's much ado about nothing. I just say I have a very good intuition and I usually notice when stuff isn't right and there was something strange about Bono that night. And it's not about WHAT he said, because that would be more or less typical Bono blahblah, it's more the way he said it that kind of irritated me.

BUT let's say it's nothing and everything is ok, that's fine for me, I can make up my own mind and don't need people tell me my comments are silly just because I notice things. Enough with that unnecessary over-analyzing of stuff now before it gets really silly.

Thanks for the pictures, everyone, seemed like a nice location.

Bill seemed very touched and moved and Hillary was crying during "One". There seemed to be a lot of emotion all around.

OK now I see-it was a full moon that caused Bono's banter. And Lady Gaga to wear a jacket with nipples and to be sexually suggestive with the former President (Ok, maybe not that. Moon possibly irrelevant in that case).

Issue solved.

Back
Top Bottom