U2 at Elvis Costello's Spectacle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got around to watching it on-demand yesterday. Very cool. Two Shots and Stay were gorgeous, Mysty Ways and the Pump It Up/Boots/Subterranean Homesick Blues (snippet) mashup were fun (I like how Bono sang the Subterranean Homesick Blues snippet in a mock-Dylan voice). :up:

I got around to watching it on-demand yesterday. Very cool. Two Shots and Stay were gorgeous, Mysty Ways and the Pump It Up/Boots/Subterranean Homesick Blues (snippet) mashup were fun (I like how Bono sang the Subterranean Homesick Blues snippet in a mock-Dylan voice). :up:

I have it on Comcast On Demand in HD. I enjoyed when they talked about how they work in the studio and the different producers, etc. The songs were ok, I thought Bono's voice sounded raspy but I don't get all bothered by that :shrug: The mash up was interesting, for a minute I thought I was watching Glee :wink:

Is it wrong that I fast forwarded through Elvis' version of Mysterious Ways? I didn't like it. Like him though-I've seen him live a couple of times and he's very good.

That's the first time I've watched that show, good show. I think it said in the credits that Elton John is one of the producers.

Please record it and upload it :)

I did dig the mash-up of Pump it Up and Get On Your Boots.

Me too! i could have really done without Costello on Stuck...

And I am glad that despite my slacking in keeping up with the U2 news, I managed to find this all by myself randomly on Comcast last night. I figured everyone and their mother had seen it by now, but turns out it is a pretty new thing! :)

Back to the books. Final tomorrow, and another one on Wednesday! :crack:

I like Elvis Costello a lot, but sometimes his voice really bugs me. Mysterious Ways was one of those times.

Yeah, Elvis' voice on U2 songs was a smidge jarring. I did like the different phrasing on Mysterious Ways. It was cool, the guitar though, not so much.

As for Edge dancing, as he and Bono were walking on set, he attempted a bit of "white boy" dancing, it was loltastic.

According to this article, it's airing in Canada on Friday December 11th on CTV, yay!

CANOE -- JAM! Television - TV Shows - Spectacle: Costello makes 'Spectacle' of U2

Costello makes 'Spectacle' of U2
By BILL HARRIS -- Sun Media

Music fans fantasize that all the biggest rock stars know each other. And they live together in a big house.

"Like the Monkees," Elvis Costello said enthusiastically.

"Or Help!" added Costello, referring to the Beatles movie. "We live in a row of terrace houses, and they're connecting inside."

That Help! house was so damn cool, we always wanted to live there.

"Yeah, me too," Costello said. "With the sunken bed ... there are plenty of people who have lived that out."

The fact is, there are some fellow titans of rock that Elvis Costello knows very well, and others that are mere acquaintances, if that. Costello's experience hosting Spectacle -- the second season of which gets under way Friday on CTV, with Bono and the Edge from U2 -- has taught Costello that good friends don't automatically make good interviews.

"Only a couple of them are people I know really well," Costello said of the second-season guest list, which includes the likes of Bruce Springsteen, Nick Lowe, Sheryl Crow, Levon Helm and Ron Sexsmith.

CTV is airing the U2 episode of Spectacle -- which sees Costello talking to, and performing with, Bono and the Edge -- as a pre-Christmas treat. The rest of the second season will air sometime in 2010, although filming has been completed already.

"We did two in Toronto at the Masonic Temple (MTV headquarters) and the rest in New York at the Apollo again," Costello said. "This second season has a different personality in that it's based more on songs rather than on the careers of individuals. We concentrated on framing things very tightly in the musical fashion."

Costello introduces Bono and the Edge with a rap about how U2 has joined the likes of the Beatles and the Rolling Stones and the Who and Led Zeppelin in the rock pantheon, as unlikely as that might have seemed when U2 formed in Ireland in the late 1970s.

"You have to be happy if you open the series with Bono and Edge," Costello said. "And they're coming along to the Masonic Temple -- it's hard to imagine Led Zeppelin ever played there (but they did, in 1969). When you've got television production in there, you've got 700 people, maybe less. And U2 is playing to 40,000 people the next day at the Rogers Centre.

"It came home to me halfway through the show, around the time Bono started thanking everybody on the show from the stage, I thought, 'What incredible generosity it was for them to let themselves take part in this.' They didn't know what I was going to ask them. It's not all scripted. There's no collusion."

We asked Costello if he'd ever fantasized about having Spectacle travel back in time so he could interview and jam with some of the dearly departed titans of rock -- people such as Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, John Lennon, etc.

"I haven't actually had that imagining," Costello said. "But now that you say it, you could go on forever."

And then you all could move in together. Like The Monkees. Or Help!

Finally got to watch this. Good show, but I thought Bono sounded really really rough for Stay and One Shot of Happy, was almost hard for me to watch those two songs.

I did too, the raspy voice goes with the song.

I missed the first 15 minutes, came in when Bono was talking about McCartney, what happened before that?

Just finished watching it :yippie:

I love Elvis, but didn't care for his guitar during Stuck In A Moment. It was too loud/electric/jangly. Ruined the song for me. Stay was lovely; Two Shots of Happy... :up: Wished they wouldn't have cut 'Alison' from the session. Maybe someday it will be a bonus on the DVD or something (or so Elvis suggested recently while on Jimmy Fallon). Loved the mash-up at the end. If anyone finds an MP3 of it, I'd like to have it :sexywink:

I want to see it! no links around?

In the mean time I have to do it with this. Great cover of Please by Elvis Costello, for those who never saw it. I wished U2 would play this song again...

YouTube - Please - Elvis Costello (U2 cover)

and why don't they play this song more often? Also played at Costello's show if I remember well? jezus, come on, play those fucking great songs from the POP-era live!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yQ5V5Fb18k

Finally got to watch this. Good show, but I thought Bono sounded really really rough for Stay and One Shot of Happy, was almost hard for me to watch those two songs.

Aw, really? That's disappointing. They've been showing a commercial for the show here where Bono's singing 5 or so seconds of Stay, and I thought he sounded amazing for those few seconds.

Aw, really? That's disappointing. They've been showing a commercial for the show here where Bono's singing 5 or so seconds of Stay, and I thought he sounded amazing for those few seconds.

The general consesus was that it was awesome, so don't worry.

I watched it again last night and it still sounded excruciating to me.

:wink:

i watched it last night... i thought it was one of the best, most insightful u2 television pieces i've ever seen.

stay and two shots were fantastic... i don't quite understand the people who say they weren't good, but whatever... music is subjective.

aside from the performances themselves, two things that really stuck with me from the show were...

1) bono pretty much admitting that his charitable work has prevented him from really perfecting his craft the way other artists, including the edge, have been able to do.

2) i couldn't help but think of mr. macphisto, the old rock star who now sings in vegas in a one-man lounge act, as bono crooned two shots of happy, one shot of sad.

Back
Top Bottom