U2 and Bono criticised for carbon footprint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some professional news source should write an article, using Interference as a source, attacking U2 for supporting whalers in Liechtenstein who have to drive across multiple countries to get to the ocean... whaling is an awful practice for the environment, and driving from a doubly-landlocked nation to the ocean every day and back is worse!

It's great that U2 are buying off-sets, but I still think it's rather critical. Not to think about how 2-3 mio concert goers are transported around Europe ... by foot? Probably not. (And yes, I'm flying to Berlin :reject:)

Some professional news source should write an article, using Interference as a source, attacking U2 for supporting whalers in Liechtenstein who have to drive across multiple countries to get to the ocean... whaling is an awful practice for the environment, and driving from a doubly-landlocked nation to the ocean every day and back is worse!

That'd be lovely. :wink:

And I think it's hillarious that articles like this are always aimed at U2 AND Bono. As if he's not a part of the band?

Not being much of an environmentalist.....can anyone tell me what u2 are doing to offset their emissions? just curious as to what lengths they have to go to redress the balance

It's a shame that U2 doesn't have the commitment to their causes that Radiohead have. Their last world tour was just about completely carbon neutral.

As much as I agree that they've opened themselves up for criticism with this, I don't think that the environment/global warming/carbon footprints has ever been one of their "causes."

Hmm.

Bono has acknowledged that being a rockstar is not conducive to a green lifestyle, with all of the travel involved, but that he does his best to make decisions that will benefit the environment when possible.

Well then, I guess they've really left themselves open for criticism. Which is a shame, because some people will be chomping at the bit to be the first to jump up and scream "hypocrite!" and overshadow the good he/they do, but whatever.

Such is the life of a very public celebrity who has a lot to say on a great many topics. :)

It's a shame that U2 doesn't have the commitment to their causes that Radiohead have. Their last world tour was just about completely carbon neutral.

Oh please... Bono is probably far more committed to ONE, Data, etc than Thom is with the environment.

Plus how does one have a "carbon neutral" tour, it's impossible.

I disagree.

How's that carbon neutral tour going? Yeah I hear of Thom going out and getting things done all the time...

And I disagree.

Well a good portion of the site doesn't... even mods. Your posts speak for themselves, you know they don't erase them, right? I mean anyone can just look back in the photo thread or the MJ thread and see what you are about...

:wave:

Yeah, this story ended up on Digg this morning. And I don't even know why I waded into the comments, but I am always awed by the amount of hostility people have toward Bono. What is that impulse? To call out perceived hypocrites?

I disagree.

I actually disagree with you disagreeing here.

But honestly, I see the problem with environment here.

For a rock band, it's quite difficult not to leave a giant carbon footprint.

In the end, each and every one of us is responsible for what we're doing for a more environment-friendly lifestyle.

at what point have u2 ever really been a band that are about the environment? their only serious involvement with any environmental group was with greenpeace for stop sellafield way back in the early 90s. they've never pretended to buy into the global warming hype (opinions on whether it is real or not aside, they've never been part of the hype on it). people are mistaking their activism on africa for activism on everything.

i don't really think they deserve flak for having a big tour with the hypocrite tag, to be honest :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom