U2 3D Best Buy pre-screening

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4U2Play

Refugee
For those of you who are members of the Best Buy Reward Zone program, check your email accounts for a special message regarding U2 3D pre-screenings in your area.

Here is the message I just received from Best Buy's marketing director, Emily Schroeder:

"Nick -

It's taken longer than we anticipated to finalize the theater information. As you can guess, there are a lot of minute details to be covered.

Here's the list and additional information.

IMAX Theatre at Arizona Mills (E3D) 5000 Arizona Mills Circle Tempe AZ

New England Aquarium / Simons IMAX Theatre New England Aquarium - Central Wharf Boston MA

Maryland Science Center 601 Light Street Baltimore MD

The Henry Ford IMAX Theatre 20900 Oakwood Blvd. Dearborn MI

Pacific Science Center - Boeing IMAX Theatre 200 Second Avenue North Seattle WA

Cinemark IMAX Theatre at Carefree Circle 3305 Cinema Point Colorado Springs CO

Cinemark IMAX Theatre 11819 Webb Chapel Road Dallas TX

IMAX Theatre, White River State Park 650 W. Washington St. Indianapolis IN

Marble Kids Museum 201 East Hargett Street Raleigh NC

MEGAPLEX 17 at Jordan Commons in Sandy 9400 S. State Street Sandy UT

Cinemark IMAX Theatre at the Tulsa 10802 East 71st Street Tulsa OK

Smithsonian - National Museum of Natural History IMAX 1014 Constitution Ave. NW Washington DC

Ft. Lauderdale Museum of Discovery and Science 401 Southwest Second Street Ft. Lauderdale FL

Great Clips IMAX Theatre at the Minnesota Zoo 12000 Zoo Blvd. Apple Valley MN

Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts 222 Market Street Harrisburg PA

Santikos Palladium 19 IMAX 17703 W IH-10 San Antonio TX

Navy Pier IMAX Theatre 700 East Grand Ave., Suite 115 Chicago IL

Tennessee Aquarium, Chattanooga One Broad Street Chattanooga TN

Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum 1800 North Congress Ave. Austin TX

Universal City Walk 100 Universal City Plaza Universal City CA

Red Rock Stadium 16 11011 West Charleston Blvd. Las Vegas NV

Because demand for the passes is high, the opportunity to obtain passes is limited to select Reward Zone members who received an email invitation directly from MyRewardZone.com.

The U2 3D movie will be available to the general public starting on January 23 in select cities. For more information or to purchase tickets, go to www.U23Dmovie.com."

Last edited:
I can not Fucking Believe this! They leave out the Metreon!! in San Francisco but plan on showing it in Oklahoma! No offense to anyone from Oklahoma.

Thanks for the info, Nick!
Too bad, SF isn't on that list.
Are you all :hyper: for Sundance?!
I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Justin, don't worry.
Seeing as Skott went to a press meeting in SF to preview the movie, I'm sure it'll play here eventually.
Just a matter of time.

Last edited:
Didn't get any email yet from Best Buy. Already bought my tickets for 1/25 at The Bridge in L.A.

:shrug:

ETA: I logged into my rewards at Best Buy, and don't see any mention of the movie there either.

Last edited:
I am surprised nothing in SF or SJ. We do have such a nice IMAX here in downtown SJ too. Whatever!!!
Excited to see it either way!

No Best Buy e-mail here either...uh, maybe I'm like, a "lesser" Reward Zone member anyway since they never make me pay the $10 a year or whatever?

Anyway, anyone here from the Twin Cities?

Yea! So are you seeing U2:3D at the zoo? (I'm trying to decide where to see it, 'cause I seem to remember the zoo's IMAX not being very impressive, while, say, that place way out in Oakdale with 3D was pretty awesome)

Yeah, a few friends of mine and I are going out to the Zoo on Saturday, making a whole day out of it I suppose. I'm the only one who really wants to see the show, but I've convinced them to come too. :D

Which one is the Oakdale? I know about the 3D theatres in Edina and Roseville. Are the other theatres showing it for sure? I know on the U2:3D website, the Zoo theatre is the only one listed.

Have you been there at all recently? I've only seen the Lion King there and that was years ago. Just like, assuage my "meh" memories of our local IMAX if you've had good experiences? ;)

I don't know for sure, I want to call them and check. Yeah, the Southdale AMC has a new 3D theater (and Rosedale too, then?) but I haven't been there yet to see if it's good. Eden Prairie mall has one now too, but the last times I saw movies there, they had the sound at a really low level (I guess their theaters aren't soundproofed or something??) and who wants to bother going to a movie theater when it's not even always audible (and I'm not hard of hearing or anything, haha)?

I saw Nightmare Before Christmas (3D) at the Oakdale theater ( http://www.marcustheatres.com/theater.cfm?theater_id=2506 ) and it was a good experience, but their site makes it seem like they're not getting U2:3D. Dang. The Oakdale one and another one in Coon Rapids were our only 3D theaters like a year and a half ago...now I don't even know of all of them.

Harrisburg is the closest they could do to Philly? Not King of Prussia?

Newman.

Miri is smart to lay low and wait. It'll come around and be shown in more places, I just know it will. I did google to see where in San Diego it might show and found some theatres! But I am going to LA to see it with a bunch of Interferencers. Good times :up: Dejavu of concert days all over again! :wink:

rosephile said:
Have you been there at all recently? I've only seen the Lion King there and that was years ago. Just like, assuage my "meh" memories of our local IMAX if you've had good experiences? ;)

I don't know for sure, I want to call them and check. Yeah, the Southdale AMC has a new 3D theater (and Rosedale too, then?) but I haven't been there yet to see if it's good. Eden Prairie mall has one now too, but the last times I saw movies there, they had the sound at a really low level (I guess their theaters aren't soundproofed or something??) and who wants to bother going to a movie theater when it's not even always audible (and I'm not hard of hearing or anything, haha)?

I saw Nightmare Before Christmas (3D) at the Oakdale theater ( http://www.marcustheatres.com/theater.cfm?theater_id=2506 ) and it was a good experience, but their site makes it seem like they're not getting U2:3D. Dang. The Oakdale one and another one in Coon Rapids were our only 3D theaters like a year and a half ago...now I don't even know of all of them.

I haven't been there for years either, probably around 4 or 5. From what I remember, it wasn't too bad, but we were on a school field trip and seeing a nature movie, so I don't know if it would be any better or any worse.

I know that Rosedale has one as well for sure; they're getting the Hannah Montana movie if I remember correctly. I haven't been to that one though, or Southdale to be honest.

Yeah, they had Lion King 5 or so years ago. Hm. You know, this wouldn't even be an issue if the OMNITHEATER showed "movies". :drool: :drool: :drool:

Nobody wants to come with me at midnight so it's on me to choose...

Seriously, what the fuck about Louisiana? Didn't Edge have a big Music Rising campaign and wasn't the lead-off single from the latest "singles" compilation in tribute to those who suffered from hurricane Katrina? I know it sounds trivial, but it would just seem that U2 has more of a connection with this state than Nowheresville, Oklahoma, knowwhatimean? We've got IMAX, we've got theaters that support the U2:3D technology (there were previews for it with "Meet the Robinsons" ...and no, I did not see that movie, but my sister took her kids to see it and, knowing how big of a U2 fan I am, she relayed that bit of info. to me).

I'm just pissed off. They never tour here and we don't get their damn 3D movie. Throw us a frickin' bone, guys...

Yeah, I hear you, Catman, NO deserves it more than anyone else, I would think.
Nowheresville, OK loves U2 as much as anyone, though, so please be kind.

However, I don't understand the logic behind some of these locations (or lack thereof).

They just had a press screening yesterday here at the Metreon IMAX in San Francisco, but now that same theater's upcoming schedule shows that U2 3D won't even open until Jan 25th, at the earliest, if at all.

The closest place to SF showing this thing on opening day the 23rd is Sacramento, which is a 90 minute drive from here. At least we have that option, I consider myself lucky, but screw them if they think I'll make the trip.

It looks like they're purposely debuting U2 3D on the 23rd in smaller markets (and only one theater in LA, Boston, etc), then rolling it out in the cities on the 25th, which is the original announced starting date.

Why they might do this, I don't know. After the ticket fiasco in 2005, and now this total lack of communication, I'm wondering whether U2 is hiring the right people to undertake these projects correctly. They should hire Hannah Montana's people, they know how to get the word out fast and loud.

It doesn't make sense, but I guess the SF Metreon's owners think another week of "I Am Legend" in IMAX is what the public wants.

We have a 50-person party organized for what we thought would be the Friday the 25th evening showings there that we're now cancelling because the Metreon can't tell us whether they'll actually be screening U2 3D at all.

What a bunch of dumbfucks

Last edited:
U2SJ said:
I am surprised nothing in SF or SJ. We do have such a nice IMAX here in downtown SJ too. Whatever!!!
Excited to see it either way!

Yeah, the Imax theatre in downtown SJ is nice and since it's basically inside the Tech Museum you'd think they'd play movies in 3D there.
But they don't. Maybe, because it's a dome. :shrug:

4U2Play said:
However, I don't understand the logic behind some of these locations (or lack thereof).

They just had a press screening yesterday here at the Metreon IMAX in San Francisco, but now that same theater's upcoming schedule shows that U2 3D won't even open until Jan 25th, at the earliest, if at all.

The closest place to SF showing this thing on opening day the 23rd is Sacramento, which is a 90 minute drive from here. At least we have that option, I consider myself lucky, but screw them if they think I'll make the trip.

It looks like they're purposely debuting U2 3D on the 23rd in smaller markets (and only one theater in LA, Boston, etc), then rolling it out in the cities on the 25th, which is the original announced starting date.

Why they might do this, I don't know. After the ticket fiasco in 2005, and now this total lack of communication, I'm wondering whether U2 is hiring the right people to undertake these projects correctly. They should hire Hannah Montana's people, they know how to get the word out fast and loud.

It doesn't make sense, but I guess the SF Metreon's owners think another week of "I Am Legend" in IMAX is what the public wants.

We have a 50-person party organized for what we thought would be the Friday the 25th evening showings there that we're now cancelling because the Metreon can't tell us whether they'll actually be screening U2 3D at all.

What a bunch of dumbfucks

Woah!
A 50 people party.
That's a whole lot of people.
Sorry to hear you have to cancel, because the Metreon isn't telling you anything.
:hug:

I'm confident we'll find out soon though.
The online showtimes are up to Thursday Jan 24th.
So maybe tomorrow, Friday Jan 25th will be up.

While looking at the showtimes, I noticed that besides showing I am Legend : The Imax experience, the Metreon also has Beowulf in Digital 3D.

So I guess it could be possible that they'll be playing both U2 3D and Hannah Montana in Digital 3D at the same time.

Last edited:
4U2Play said:
For those of you who are members of the Best Buy Reward Zone program, check your email accounts for a special message regarding U2 3D pre-screenings in your area.

Here is the message I just received from Best Buy's marketing director, Emily Schroeder:

"Nick -

It's taken longer than we anticipated to finalize the theater information. As you can guess, there are a lot of minute details to be covered.

Here's the list and additional information.

IMAX Theatre at Arizona Mills (E3D) 5000 Arizona Mills Circle Tempe AZ

New England Aquarium / Simons IMAX Theatre New England Aquarium - Central Wharf Boston MA

Maryland Science Center 601 Light Street Baltimore MD

The Henry Ford IMAX Theatre 20900 Oakwood Blvd. Dearborn MI

Pacific Science Center - Boeing IMAX Theatre 200 Second Avenue North Seattle WA

Cinemark IMAX Theatre at Carefree Circle 3305 Cinema Point Colorado Springs CO

Cinemark IMAX Theatre 11819 Webb Chapel Road Dallas TX

IMAX Theatre, White River State Park 650 W. Washington St. Indianapolis IN

Marble Kids Museum 201 East Hargett Street Raleigh NC

MEGAPLEX 17 at Jordan Commons in Sandy 9400 S. State Street Sandy UT

Cinemark IMAX Theatre at the Tulsa 10802 East 71st Street Tulsa OK

Smithsonian - National Museum of Natural History IMAX 1014 Constitution Ave. NW Washington DC

Ft. Lauderdale Museum of Discovery and Science 401 Southwest Second Street Ft. Lauderdale FL

Great Clips IMAX Theatre at the Minnesota Zoo 12000 Zoo Blvd. Apple Valley MN

Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts 222 Market Street Harrisburg PA

Santikos Palladium 19 IMAX 17703 W IH-10 San Antonio TX

Navy Pier IMAX Theatre 700 East Grand Ave., Suite 115 Chicago IL

Tennessee Aquarium, Chattanooga One Broad Street Chattanooga TN

Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum 1800 North Congress Ave. Austin TX

Universal City Walk 100 Universal City Plaza Universal City CA

Red Rock Stadium 16 11011 West Charleston Blvd. Las Vegas NV

Because demand for the passes is high, the opportunity to obtain passes is limited to select Reward Zone members who received an email invitation directly from MyRewardZone.com.

The U2 3D movie will be available to the general public starting on January 23 in select cities. For more information or to purchase tickets, go to www.U23Dmovie.com."

Crap, I guess I'm not "select" enough. Does it say what days it is pre-screening? Earlier than the openings on the 23rd?

4U2Play said:
After the ticket fiasco in 2005, and now this total lack of communication, I'm wondering whether U2 is hiring the right people to undertake these projects correctly. They should hire Hannah Montana's people, they know how to get the word out fast and loud.

Ironically, Hannah Montana probably threw a wrench into some of the plans for U23D. It will run for a week starting Feb. 1, and will be given priority over U23D if there's a conflict. E.g. the LA IMAX has U23D showing only for one week, at which time Hannah Montana replaces it, and U23D does not return after that (according to the schedule).

They Updated the website San Jose Century at Oakridge will be showing the film!!!!

DALY CITY and THe METREON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oooops San Jose, Daly City will be in February but Metreon will update their ticket listings tomorrow so get ready to buy your tickets!

Last edited:
onebloodonelife said:

I know that Rosedale has one as well for sure; they're getting the Hannah Montana movie if I remember correctly. I haven't been to that one though, or Southdale to be honest.

Okay, so these three theaters (one way north/Mounds View, one way south/Apple Valley, one way east/Oakdale) are showing it from 2/15-2/21 (aka, after Hannah Montana has come and gone, haha). Yea, it'll be a nice second chance at seeing it! It's $15 though, but whatever.

Also, that Coon Rapids theater says on the site they'll have it next Wednesday...

Last edited:
F'in A!!! I got free tickets!!!

TRAVIS T B-------
Confirmation Number: **********
Show Date: January 21, 2008
Cinemark IMAX Theatre at the Tulsa
7:30 PM
Click Here for Venue Website
10802 East 71st Street
Tulsa, OK 74133
Showtime Length: 85 minutes

Greatest day EVER!!!

I didn't expect it to be released here on the 23rd, and since Hannah Montana has the only 3D capable theater in my city, all tied up for the first week of Feb..don't expect to see it then either. I can't help but remember from the beginning - that this was listed as a limited release.
I have high hopes it will be released more widely as demand goes up. (and all the HM kiddies have had their fill.. :| )

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom