U2 360 Set List - what do you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Even Better than the real thing (perfecto mix) will work so much better than the 'crazy mix'-the show will be much improved with that.

Can i ask all these people who say drop SBS, Pride, WOWY etc where any of you at Barcelona last night? Cus i was and when SBS started to be played 100,000 people went nuts! also Pride, WOWY etc etc the whole stadium was singing them dancing around,

I want to be in a stadium where the crowd are into it and know the songs i don't want to be the only one singing some obscure track no else knows!

These songs made U2 the world force they are now and most people want the big hits!

^Yeah, while I am partial to Fez-Being Born as the opener, I guess I would rather see a number of songs open this show than Breathe. It's such a great tune, but it just doesn't belong up front. Who could have possibly suggested this was a good idea!??!

here's my track by track review of the bootleg:

Breathe - the song works well live, but i'm unsure about this as the opener. i still think Magnificent would work better, and GOYB to a lesser degree.

No Line On The Horizon - i was a little underwhelmed by the live version, but i think some of this is due to the quality of the original recording, where the guitars aren't very prominant. sounds like the crowd was pretty into it, so i'll assume it worked well.

Get On Your Boots - LOVE the intro. WOW! as usual, this song kicks major ass.

Magnificent - as i said earlier, this song should open the show. even though it flopped as a single, it's still more familiar than Breathe to the casual fans.

Beautiful Day - works perfect here and that new intro is :drool:. hope they add the Blackbird snippet.

Still Haven't Found... - played well, one of those songs that don't really excite you when reading setlists, but it always feels good in person.

Angel Of Harlem - one of those songs that made me cringe when i saw they were rehearsing it, but it worked really well last night, and those MJ snippets were done very well.

In A Little While - sounded great. good song. just not sure it fits this spot or the show though. it pains me to say that too.

Space Chat - it's a cool concept, i just hope that going forward, they shorten this up a little. a couple reports say that it killed the momentum.

Unknown Caller - talk about getting the momentum back! this is one of the new songs i really wanted to hear live, and it didn't disappoint. The Edge will be fine, and the outro works so well! :up: :up: :up:

Unforgettable Fire - :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

City Of Blinding Lights - completes the best trio of the show, though i wish the band would find a way to segue UF into COBL. it would only add more emotion.

Vertigo - sounds as energetic as ever. great performance. like Edge's guitar tone at the beginning.

Crazy Tonight - for me, one of the early highlights. it's just so dark and different from the album version. i sure hope they don't drop this by the time Chicago comes around.

Sunday Bloody Sunday - yeap. it was played well. one of those songs that i'll enjoy when i'm in person.

Pride - see "Sunday Bloody Sunday"

MLK - great singing Bono!

Walk On - other than the whole mask thing, the song sounds great. the outro is very cool.

Where The Streets Have No Name love the fact that the red lights are back. i do wonder if the Desmond Tutu speech is just a Europe thing, and US will get something different?

One - oops! LOL! i'm sure this song will be fine. Bono, just keep the speeches under 20 minutes, ok?

Ultraviolet - see "Unforgettable Fire"

With Or Without You - i really do hope the band learns to play this song with emotion again some day.

Moment Of Surrender - i know some people said it was a little flat as a closer. personally, i thought it sounded fine, and i do believe it will only get better with age.

Overall, i give the set a B-. i believe the band will only get tighter, and they'll start figuring out the right transitions and flow. this definitely has the making of a great set!

Great review :up:

I wish they would forget opening with a new song, and open with Gone or HM,TM,KM,KM or even Until the End... then go to 3-4 new songs.

There really isn't a new song that is a great opener. I think all of them, the way they are playing them are not really suited to open. I hate to say it, but if they have to open with a new one Boots is probably the best (and i don't really care if i ever see boots live). fez- would be no better than breathe, i'm not really sure why anyone thinks that. i would like to see it live, and i like the song but it would not be a good opener. i think they can improve the opener, but not really with any of the new songs. i was all for nloth to open but after hearing it (and i like it a lot) i don't think it would be a great opener.

Well in person the set didn't come across as too mellow at all. Breathe got a pretty good reaction as an opener, I kind of liked the way Larry strolled on stage to open it up with the others appearing from underneath. That said I wouldn't mind seeing them extend the intro to Boots and using that to open. I concur that the 2 speeches did sap the momentum a little and I'm not hugely enthused at the idea of hooking up to the ISS every night.

As for the "old warhorse" argument...something like ISHFWILF I rarely listen to at home but in a live environment with that sense of community it remains a highlight - 90,000+ singing this in unison is one of those U2 moments that remind you why you go to see them and it was nothing less than wonderful in Barcelona. Same goes for the likes of Pride, SBS, Streets, B Day etc - I would say 99%+ of the people there were more than happy to hear them and whilst I would probably soil my pants to hear Lady With The Spinning Head or Red Hill Mining Town or other such rarities I thoroughly enjoyed the warhorses as much as the new songs last night.

Though I can see how it is deemed boring sat at home in front of a PC.

I wish they would forget opening with a new song, and open with Gone or HM,TM,KM,KM or even Until the End... then go to 3-4 new songs.

I hate when bands do that, it's like saying I know this new album isn't that great but you remember when we did this?

I'm disappointed by the setlist- great to have UF and UV back but there are still too many warhorses. Yes I know there will be one or two songs that will always be played (Badlands and Born To Run for Bruce for instance) but when it starts becoming five or six there are real problems, especially when it's at the expense of material from Pop and Zooropa. Just give me three of those songs each night and I'll stop moaning because that's all it needs.

I agree some of the warhorses need to be dropped, and I agree there needs to be some more punch to the show. I also think this stage design is begging for more 90s stuff.

Fez-Being Born
No Line On The Horizon
Get On Your Boots
Magnificent
Beautiful Day
Lemon(rotate with If God Will Send His Angels and In A Little While)
Unknown Caller
Drowning Man(rotate with A Sort Of Homecoming)
The Unforgettable Fire
City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me(rotate with Mysterious Ways)
Mofo
Please
MLK/Walk On
One

Even Better Than The Real Thing(rotate with Discotheque)
Until The End Of The World
New Year's Day
Breathe

Ultraviolet(Light My Way)
Where The Streets Have No Name
Bad(rotate with Kite)
Moment Of Surrender

:applaud: Superb setlist. What a great show that would be! :)

Safe setlist!!!

basing this opinion on not being there and only listening to some sound and looking at some clips....the set list should maybe do this.....again only my opinion...haven't been there...still plan to go...still would go if this was the list.....

1. Breathe
2. No Line On The Horizon
3. Get On Your Boots
4. Magnificent
5. Beautiful Day
6. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (lose this anything else)
7. Angel Of Harlem / Man In The Mirror (snippet) / Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough (snippet) (not horrible but I want another song) (drowning man here?)
8. In A Little While (not sold)
9. Unknown Caller
10. The Unforgettable Fire
11. City Of Blinding Lights
12. Vertigo
13. Crazy Tonight (not sold on this remix but i haven't heard it enough)
14. Sunday Bloody Sunday (not sold)
15. Pride ( Electrical Storm)
16. MLK
17. Walk On

Encore:
18. Where The Streets Have No Name
19. One Hate to say it, but with the mess up and the long fuckin speech before it….(its already been done Bono) Bad would be great here.
20. Ultra Violet
21. With Or Without You
22. Moment Of Surrender

A very safe setlist IMO!!!I agree that there U2 staples that a rabid U2 fan would like shelved but the band has tio please the casual fan. Most of the reviews that I have read say that the band was not at their best, I think that the setlist proves that they are not in stride yet. I saw them on opening night on the Elevation tour and they played it safe then too. I will see then in October in Tampa, I am sure they will be in full tour mode then. U2 has such a big list of great songs that it is impossible to please everyone. I for one have never been a huge fan of Angel of Harlem. I would like them to experiment a little more. I liks that they have brought back Unforgettable Fire, but A Sort Of Homecoming would truly be great song to hear them play again!!!

As a fan of these guys all of my life, I am hard to please, I hope that by the time that they come to Tampa they will have ironed out the kinks!!!

If I was going to complain about the set list at all, I guess I would say that I hope they add Elevation in somewhere.

I'd also like it if they played Until The End OF The World or The Fly especially, but Ultra Violet sounded great, IMO.

I kind of think the last 7 songs on seem very slow and will kill the mood of the stadium. To everyone who says U2 makes their setlist to accomodate the majority of the fans and not play rarities, I agree with you - but they added too many real slow 'hit' songs, you don't need WOWY, ONE, MLK, ISHFWILF, In a Little While when you already have STREETS, Walk On, Ultraviolet, Unknown Caller, Moment of Surrender. I love U2 to death, but they have WAY to many slow songs on their setlist and it seems unbalanced. The tempo of the first half of the show looks great.

Ofcourse I would love to hear more 90's AB/POP stuff...but I realize they are moving away from that decade for some reason, but they need more rock, I don't care what songs they decide to play or if it's from the 80's or their greatest hits cd, as long as it's an upbeat rock song. The main complaint I've been hearing all over about the concert last night was the set-list, the band will screw up the first 4 shows but that's expected, but the set-list needs real work - it's just way to soft. No matter what I'm still going to see them a few times around.

a good PROBABLE setlist for the tour: (obviously not perfect but I could see them playing this set)

Magnificent
Get on Your Boots
No Line on the Horizon
Breathe
Beautiful Day
Stay
Unknown Caller
Even Better than the Real thing
Unforgettable Fire
Drowning man
Ill go crazy
City of Blinding lights
Vertigo
Bad
Pride
MLK/Streets
Walk on

Ultraviolet
Dirty Day
Mysterious ways
Kite
Moment of surrender

Can i ask all these people who say drop SBS, Pride, WOWY etc where any of you at Barcelona last night? Cus i was and when SBS started to be played 100,000 people went nuts! also Pride, WOWY etc etc the whole stadium was singing them dancing around,

I want to be in a stadium where the crowd are into it and know the songs i don't want to be the only one singing some obscure track no else knows!

These songs made U2 the world force they are now and most people want the big hits!

andyuk,

How were the new songs recieved by the crowd?

I think you're underestimating the audience there. UF isn't as well known as WOWY and SBS but the crowd still seemed to go nuts. On the Australian leg of the Vertigo tour the crowd also seemed to really get into The First Time.

I like to think U2's audience are a bit more sophisticated then other audiences that just demand the band to play the hits.

As for the set list, not a fan. Nothing from Zooropa or Pop :down:

Too many slow songs? I totally don't get this argument:

1. Breathe ROCKER
2. No Line On The Horizon ROCKER
3. Get On Your Boots ROCKER
4. Magnificent ANTHEM
5. Beautiful Day ROCKER/ANTHEM/WARHORSE
6. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For SLOW/WARHORSE
7. Angel Of Harlem SLOWISH
8. In A Little While SLOW
9. Unknown Caller (I don't know what to call this)
10. The Unforgettable Fire ANYONE COMPLAINING SHOULD BE BANNED
11. City Of Blinding Lights ANTHEM, AND A FAST ONE
12. Vertigo ROCKER
13. Crazy Tonight (not slow, I can say that much)
14. Sunday Bloody Sunday ANTHEM/WARHORSE
15. Pride ANTHEM/WARHORSE
16. MLK SLOW
17. Walk On SLOW/ANTHEM

Encore:
18. Where The Streets Have No Name ANTHEM/ROCKER/SHOULD ALWAYS BE PLAYED
19. One SLOW/WARHORSE
20. Ultra Violet (see UF)
21. With Or Without You SLOW/WARHORSE
22. Moment Of Surrender SLOW (but an incredible song)

I count 9 "slow" songs. Look back at other U2 sets, I can't see what you people are complaining about.

Too many slow songs? I totally don't get this argument:

I agree. I don't get it... But to be fair Bizkit who has been the most vocal about the "slow" songs may be a metal fan that just happens to like Pop because he described Streets, UV, and Walk On as "very slow". So I think it's all about perspective.

I'm liking the songs played, just not the order of the first 4 or 5 songs. I would move No Line On The Horizon well down the setlist and play Vertigo or Beautiful Day just a little earlier, Perhaps 2nd or 3rd. Playing 4 songs off the current album first, which in all honesty will only get the hard core fans going is a bit of a downer for the entire show and crowd. Throw a big well known rocker in between and it will all fit and work the crowd perfectly.

My first post

Had great fun following the opening set list party as a lurker, now I want to join in!

Having listened to the bootleg, I think (apart from the One balls up) this list worked better than some have given credit for .. but..

I really wish they would open with Fez!! I've thought for months this would be the opener.

In fact, having made the new album atmopheric with all the stuff in Morocco etc, they have effectively spurned the atmospheric stuff and gone for the "safe" track

All they need to do is drop one of the following into the middle section of the set and I'm sure it'd all be fine.

Stand Up Comedy
Bullet
Exit
Mofo
Discotheque
Elevation
HMTMKMKM

This just hit me....they played the ZooTV version of streets!!! Holy shit....I've always thought ZooTV versions had the best intro, and sure enough, looks like we'll be seeing more of them on the 360 Tour :up:

What is happening to u2's balls? First, ever since atyclb lanois and co. are slowly muting lary mullen jr snare, and uping edges guitar. I love the edge but i love to hear larrys snare like in acrobat, gone. 2nd do they know that most if not all of us would love a show with lots of pumping live songs, and not so much ballads.
My set list...

1.NLOTH
2.BOOTS
3.MAGNIFICENT
4.ANGEL OF HARLEM
5.STAND UP COMEDY
6.IN A LITTLE WHILE
7.VAN DIEMENS LAND
8.UNKNOWN CALLER
9.UNFORGETTABLE FIRE
10.VERTIGO
11.CITY OF BLINDING LIGHTS
12.GONE
13.ACROBAT
14.WALK ON
15.BEAUTIFUL DAY
16.STREETS
17.BREATHE

ENCORE

18.GOD PART 2
19.EXIT

2ND ENCORE

20.UTEOTW
21.ULTRAVIOLET
22.MOS/BAD

IM A HAPPY MAN!

nice setlist but FAR too less risk with such a monster of a stage.
drop Still havent found. Angel of Harlem, One, and (the worst choice for a closingsong in) MOS
replace Stil havent found with an old rocker (eloec co, two hearts, out of control, 11 o clock etc) replace angel and one with Hold me, kiss me etc, The Fly, Mofo, Discotheque, Electrical storm, EBTTRT or UTEOTW and the closingsong with Bad. Place Breath later in the set and open with Magnificent or NLOTH. Get DM back in the set (I think they will tonight) and drop the stupid steeringwheel.

result;
1.NLOTH/MAGNIFICENT
2.BOOTS
3.MAGNIFICENT/NLOTH
4.BREATH
5.BEAUTIFUL DAY
6. EBTTRT/UTEOTW
7. OOC/ELEC CO/11 O'CLOCK/THBAO
8. IN A LITTLE WHILE
9. UNKNOWN CALLER
10.UNFORGETABLE FIRE
11. CITY OF BLINDING LIGHTS
12. PRIDE
13. MLK
14. SBS/NEWYEARSDAY
15. WALK ON
-BISHOP TUTU-
16. STREETS
17. Hold me, kiss me etc/ The Fly/ MOFO/DISCOTHEQUE
18. CRAZY TONIGHT
19. ULTRAVIOLET
-SPACECHAT-
20. ELECTRICAL STORM/MOFO/DISCOTHEQUE/Hold me, kiss me etc
21. DROWNING MAN
22 WOWY
23. (MOS as an intro during the first notes of BAD) BAD

31 songs in total to choose from and in this way the setlists will never be the same without making too many changes when it commes to lights etc.

I don't think they are maximising the live potential of NLOTH, when i first heard the album I was convinced it would open with an extended intro. It's very odd to me that they didn't develop it as the opener...:twocents:

I don't think they are maximising the live potential of NLOTH, when i first heard the album I was convinced it would open with an extended intro. It's very odd to me that they didn't develop it as the opener...:twocents:

Precisley, those openingnotes on the record scream livepotential openingsong. extend this with 50 seconds and it would rock the place out:up:

I agree that they are "wasting" a great opportunity (with that stage setup) to blow our minds! This stage is designed for Mofo, HMTMKMKM, Discotheque, Wire, 11 o'clock, Exit.... and they play ISHFWILF (one of the worst song in their catalogue), mess up WOWY and One, etc...
The only positive points about a warhorse is that SBS is faster than the 2 previous tour... but that's it.

UV is GREAT!!!!
TUF is WOWW!!!!
MLK is great
The new songs are good-great
I don't mind Angel of Harlem if it's full band

So, please drop:

ISHFWILF
ONE (will never happen anyway...)
WOWY (if not played a lot better)

and please add:

Fez-being born (opener)
early punk-rocker (Electric co, Out of control, Wire....whatever besides IWF)
Mofo before UV

and I'm a delighted man....:hyper:

10. The Unforgettable Fire ANYONE COMPLAINING SHOULD BE BANNED

I admit, I laughed when I read this. :)

Set lists are pretty much a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation anyway, so I'm not sure what I can add to this one that's already been said.

Don't really have a problem at all....however a few quibbles are:

Open with No Line and move Breathe back.

Drop In a Little While and slip in Discoteque between Vertigo and Crazy.

Do more with the screens for Vertigo as it seemed a bit static for the song?

Apart from that, it was fine....as much as the more hard core fans are bored with Pride, SBS and WOWY the general punter loves these 3 and I can't see them being dropped.

Back
Top Bottom