u2 360 Boxscore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No U2 boxscores this week. Huge numbers for mostly Roger Waters and Eagles. Here are the Top 3:

Roger Waters
GelreDome
Arnhem, Netherlands
April 8-9, 11, 2011
$8,632,039
88,693 /
3 /
$97.98, $78.10

Kings of Leon, Elbow, Thin Lizzy, White Lies, Mona, The Whigs
Slane Castle
Slane, Ireland
May 28, 2011
$8,248,480
79,686 /
1 /
$103.51

Eagles
Tokyo Dome
Tokyo, Japan
March 5-6, 2011
$7,689,462
54,883 /
2 /
$143.95, $107.97

No U2 boxscores this week. Roger Waters ruled the charts.

Yeah, out of nowhere most boxscores from the European Wall shows so far were reported.

Eagles also had huge grosses in their Asian shows, but weak sellouts - I think no sellouts at all.

prbiker15 said:
No U2 boxscores this week. Huge numbers for mostly Roger Waters and Eagles. Here are the Top 3:

Roger Waters
GelreDome
Arnhem, Netherlands
April 8-9, 11, 2011
$8,632,039
88,693 /
3 /
$97.98, $78.10

Kings of Leon, Elbow, Thin Lizzy, White Lies, Mona, The Whigs
Slane Castle
Slane, Ireland
May 28, 2011
$8,248,480
79,686 /
1 /
$103.51

Eagles
Tokyo Dome
Tokyo, Japan
March 5-6, 2011
$7,689,462
54,883 /
2 /
$143.95, $107.97

Was the KOL show a festival or were they the headliners? If they were ......wow!

There was actually a total of 28 arena's and theaters. U2 has not played ANY arena's in Europe in 10 years now!

U2 had their highest attendance and gross on Vertigo Europe at the time, which was all stadiums back in 2005. But they just topped that by a considerable margin.

The fact is, both artist have been hitting the market in a similar way. The Stones played a lot of arena's and theaters on the Licks tour(which took place 5 years after most of their European dates on Bridges had occured), so if anything that should of helped prime them for the A Bigger Bang Tour.

RS did some arenas in 2007.

What are the biggest attendance/gross tours or Europe?

Stones haven't done an "arena tour" of Europe since 1976. U2 have done 3 since 1989. RS have only done about 2 dozen arena shows in Europe since 1990.

Where have I ever stated that another artist touring has impacted the demand for another artist touring at the same time?

As for 1997, U2 and the Stones were indeed booked about 10 days apart in Seattle and neither show was moved. In fact, U2's Florida shows occured just 3 weeks before the Stones Florida shows occured that year.

20+ acts touring down under the same season as 360 tour?

14 days by my count. Seattle is a bigger population plus it was the final North American U2 show for 3.5 years.

LOL, you said they lost money. I said they were unwilling to go anywhere and lose money.

I said potential money loser. I'm tempted to go as far as say u2 may have made more from their 2005 SLC arena show than their 2011 show after production expenses. I also wonder about Istanbul and if it had higher production costs in that market since few major tours visit.

No, the band don't go anywhere if they can't at least break even or make money.

Remember, there were huge cost on ZOO TV, POPMART, and the stadium part of Vertigo. So this was not something new in that sense.

Sarajevo, Florida or Charlotte, maybe Perth and some of the South American shows on Popmart were all gigs that they did for little/no money with at least one being a money loser on tickets.

RS did some arenas in 2007.

What are the biggest attendance/gross tours or Europe?

Stones haven't done an "arena tour" of Europe since 1976. U2 have done 3 since 1989. RS have only done about 2 dozen arena shows in Europe since 1990.

The Stones did 3 arena's in London in 2007, none of which soldout.

U2 360 is the highest grossing tour in Europe with around $320 million in GROSS, breaking the previous record by the Stones of $213 million from A Bigger Bang. In terms of attendance, 360 is the biggest, over 3 million, although I have not checked some of the tours by Robbie Williams and Tina Turner to 100% confirm that.

The Lovetown tour of Europe was very much just a tease as it only consisted of 14 arena shows. Kind of hard to call that a serious tour. ZOO TV arena tour in 1992 was done to assess ticket sales potential. Elevation was done because the band was in a rebuilding phase after the difficulties of POPMART.

U2 had just achieved superstardom on the first two, and the third was after the band had suffered a sudden relatively sharp decline in its popularity, something the Stones have not really experienced since becoming superstars.

20+ acts touring down under the same season as 360 tour?

I never stated that had any impact.

14 days by my count. Seattle is a bigger population plus it was the final North American U2 show for 3.5 years.

Yet, neither the Stones or U2 moved the show, once again showing that neither was concerned about impacting the other.

I said potential money loser. I'm tempted to go as far as say u2 may have made more from their 2005 SLC arena show than their 2011 show after production expenses. I also wonder about Istanbul and if it had higher production costs in that market since few major tours visit.

That might be true. I would think Istanbul would be lower cost than most European cities. Definitely nothing compared to Moscow. Surprising to see Moscow today be one of the most expensive cities in the world given the general conditions in Russia in the early 1990s.

Even if there was demand, how do you do a full NA stadium tour that starts October 4th 2008?

Well, the Rolling Stones managed to do 24 stadiums shows with a tour starting on September 25 1981. U2 played stadiums in Toronto and Montreal in early October 1987. Several northern cities have domed stadiums too. Its not ideal and your going to miss some cities. But there are plenty of options for shows even at that date.

Sarajevo, Florida or Charlotte, maybe Perth and some of the South American shows on Popmart were all gigs that they did for little/no money with at least one being a money loser on tickets.

True. Only the Sarajevo show might have lost some money, although I actually think that was not the case. U2 were pretty much committed to going to Sarajevo no matter what. They even considered playing a club show there during ZOO TV while the war was raging.

2. The East Bloc had not fully developed yet.
3. Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia, Montenegro, Macedonia, Kosovo, were all to some degree involved or very close to being involved in the major Civil war that was raging through the former Yugoslavia at that time.
4. Eastern Europe in 1993 is VERY different from Eastern Europe in 2007!

thanx fot the history lesson! ;-)

by the way, the mighty Metallica happened to do a stadium run in europe in that same summer of 1993; that was the last leg of their massive 2year/300plus-show tour promoting the "Black Album".
and, guess what?
they played stadium shows in: Brno, Czech Republic; Bratislava, Slovakia; Budapest, Hungary; Athens, Greece; Tel Aviv, Israel; Istanbul, Turkey. and in september 1991 they had played Moscow, Russia together with Ac/Dc...
Michael Jackson famously played Bucharest, Romania in september 1992...
don't you think that u2, in they had wanted to, might have played these countries in summer 1993 (in addition to Budapest, which they effectively played) and sold them out?

one more thing: it wasn't me that in summer 1992 said that u2 had "underplayed Europe for years". it was none other that the boss of u2limited, Paul McGuinness!!!!

and once again, Maoil:

do you think that if u2 had played european stadia in the summer of 1988, 1989 or 1990, at the (first) height of their fame, they would have not sold them out? really?

thanx fot the history lesson! ;-)
!!!!

Why do you continue to not mention the fact that the Rolling Stones did not play anywhere in Europe from August 1982 through April 1990? Thats 8 years with NO shows at all. In addition, in 1982, they only did 26 stadium shows after having not toured EUROPE since 1976, a big 6 year gap, larger than anything U2 has done. U2's largest gap in hitting Europe is only 4 years.

by the way, the mighty Metallica happened to do a stadium run in europe in that same summer of 1993; that was the last leg of their massive 2year/300plus-show tour promoting the "Black Album".
and, guess what?

don't you think that u2, in they had wanted to, might have played these countries in summer 1993 (in addition to Budapest, which they effectively played) and sold them out?

Since you insist on reaching and digging up stuff like this lets take a look at some facts about the 1993 Europe tour by U2:

May 19, 1993
Oviedo Spain
Estadio Carlos Tartier
Attendance: 30,000 (No Sellout)

May 26, 1993
Nantes France
Stade De La Beaujoire
Attendance 30,000 (No Sellout)

May 29, 1993
Werchter Belgium
Festival Grounds
Attendance: 73,000 (No Sellout)

June 2, 1993
Frankfurt Germany
Waldstadion
Attendance: 50,000 (No Sellout)

June 6, 1993
Stuttgart Germany
Cannstatter Wasen
Attendance: 53,800 (No Sellout)

June 15, 1993
Berlin Germany
Olympiastadion
Attendance: 40,000 (No Sellout)

Though the show is far from sold out, with the second ring completely empty, its the first chance for people from the East side of Berlin and the former East Germany, to see U2.

SOURCE: "U2 Live: A Concert Documentary" Pimm Jal De La Parra

June 28, 1993
Lausanne Switzerland
Stade De La Pontaise
Attendance: 45,000 (No Sellout)

June 30, 1993
Basel Switzerland
St. Jakob's Stadion

August 3, 1993
Nijmegen Holland
Goffert Park
Attendance: 54,844 (No Sellout)

August 18, 1993
Cardiff, Wales
Arms Park

August 20, 1993
London England
Wembley Stadium
Attendance: 42,000 (No Sellout)

30,000 seats for August 20 remain unsold. Days before the show, U3 announce that unemployed people who do not have money to buy tickeets will be admitted free if they have a UB40 card. Although a few thousand people take up on this offer, the stadium is little over half-full.

SOURCE: "U2 Live: A Concert Documentary" by Pimm Jal De La Parra

August 24, 1993
Cork Ireland
Pairc UI Chaoimh
Attendance: 39,000 (No Sellout)

Metallica is a band that back then would play anywhere, places like Alaska, North Dakota, Vermont. So its not at all surprising they went to some Eastern European places where the amount of money made IF ANY, was very little at that time.

Again, Paul McGuinness said that anyone who wanted to see U2 in the summer of 1993 in Europe in would be able to. Thats how the tour was designed. To play to as many people as possible. You have a dozen shows above, essentially 25% of the tour, that did not sellout at all. The bands numbers on this tour are very impressive, but they were definitely NOT underplaying the market.

To say this 1993 tour is part of the reason why 360 has been so successful is the height of absurdity!

one more thing: it wasn't me that in summer 1992 said that u2 had "underplayed Europe for years". it was none other that the boss of u2limited, Paul McGuinness!!!!

A. Its not the first time Paul McGuinness has said something that was inaccurate.

B. Even if it was accurate, it would only be referencing one tour since no one in their right mind would claim that U2 underplayed Euorpe on the Unforgettable Fire Tour

C. Remember that McGuinness said in 1993 that anyone who wanted to see U2 in Europe in the summer of 1993 would be able to. Combine that with the fact that 25% of the dates did not even sellout, and there is no way you can conclude that U2 underplayed Europe in 1993

and once again, Maoil:

do you think that if u2 had played european stadia in the summer of 1988, 1989 or 1990, at the (first) height of their fame, they would have not sold them out? really?

Again, do you realize that they DID not sellout Switzerland in 1987 despite the your claims that Europe was underplayed?

Some markets were underplayed in 1987, although not on purpose. Certainly there could have been some markets they could have played in 1988 or 1989 that would have soldout. Others would not though. Again, 25% of the markets played in the summer of 1993 with a NEW ALBUM and tour did not sellout.

Why don't you talk about the Stones lack of touring from August 1982 to April 1990 in europe and how that helped to support what they did in the 1990s?

How could the Rolling Stones be overplaying the market in 1990 and 1995 in Europe when every show they played soldout?

Man if 1988 were anything like today, they would've had U2 out busting their ass on the road the entire year. TJT was such a huge seller, yet they didn't return to the US/most of Europe until 1992/1993... that's crazy. No doubt about it, U2 could have done a huge arena/stadium tour in support of Rattle and Hum in the US/Europe in 1988/1989.

Why didn't they?

Man if 1988 were anything like today, they would've had U2 out busting their ass on the road the entire year. TJT was such a huge seller, yet they didn't return to the US/most of Europe until 1992/1993... that's crazy. No doubt about it, U2 could have done a huge arena/stadium tour in support of Rattle and Hum in the US/Europe in 1988/1989.

Why didn't they?

1. U2 had just played 110 shows in North America and Europe throughout 1987 in support of the Joshua Tree. The tour was a huge success, but to have played these same markets again in 1988, essentially less than a year later without a new album would have produced results that would only be a fraction of what they did in 1987. In this market, new material and time off are needed to produce fantastic results in concert touring. Although small in number, there were actually a few shows on the Joshua Tree tour that did not sellout. These were, Las Vegas, two shows in Los Angeles, one in Oakland, and one in Switzerland.

2. Initially, early 1988 was supposed to consist of the JT tour in Australia, New Zealand and Japan. Instead, the band decided to put this off. They spent almost all of 1988 working on a new album and finishing the movie Rattle And Hum. They were to start the Australia tour in early 1989, but this got put off again until the fall of 1989 when it actually happened. The band then took a break in the first half of 1990 and then started writing and recording Achtung Baby.

3. Rattle And Hum was not as successful as the Joshua Tree. It had only 60% of the sales, and did even less well with the critics. The Movie also got attacked by the critics at the time and did not really have an audiance outside of U2 fans. The band were still massively popular, but no matter how popular you are, there are still limits to what one can do on the road. To repeat success on the road, one needs NEW material and time off to let the market rest. Those two factors can insure that demand will once again be at its highest level possible.

On ticketmaster, Baltimore M&T stadium now has the new seat map which literally shows all the seats that are still available and where and lets you pick which one you want. This also allows you to get an exact count of the number of seats left.

90% of the seats left are behind the stage on the top level and are at the $30 dollar list price, $40 once you include the fees. I estimate that there are about 3,000 to 3,500 of these seats left.

Elsewhere, there is very little seating left, all singles on the 1st and 2nd levels, and almost all singles on the top level. I would say maybe around 500 tickets left that are not behind the stage.

Despite there being over 3,000 tickets left on the upper level behind the stage, they have still soldout every other row in nearly all of these sections. So even in this area, its more than half full, and with the tickets sold dispersed in this manner, it will actually look nearly completely full, especially from a distance.

M&T stadium seats 71,000 people, so its likely that given the number of tickets sold in the stands and the soldout floor, that attendance will top that figure.

Maoilbheannacht said:
On ticketmaster, Baltimore M&T stadium now has the new seat map which literally shows all the seats that are still available and where and lets you pick which one you want. This also allows you to get an exact count of the number of seats left.

90% of the seats left are behind the stage on the top level and are at the $30 dollar list price, $40 once you include the fees. I estimate that there are about 3,000 to 3,500 of these seats left.

Elsewhere, there is very little seating left, all singles on the 1st and 2nd levels, and almost all singles on the top level. I would say maybe around 500 tickets left that are not behind the stage.

Despite there being over 3,000 tickets left on the upper level behind the stage, they have still soldout every other row in nearly all of these sections. So even in this area, its more than half full, and with the tickets sold dispersed in this manner, it will actually look nearly completely full, especially from a distance.

M&T stadium seats 71,000 people, so its likely that given the number of tickets sold in the stands and the soldout floor, that attendance will top that figure.

I know there have only been a very small number of strictly pure stadium tours but even if we were to look at only stadium dates for tours (like you provided for a Bigger Bang) would attendance averages even come close to U2 360? Would any artists stadium attendance average compete with what U2 has/is doing? Stones, Madonna, Bon Jovi, Floyd, The Dead, Led Zep, Aerosmith, AC/DC, 3 Tenors, etc....

Some people make mention that a show here or there wasn't "really" sold out because you could still buy tickets on the day of or that there were sections that were closed off and even though U2 sold the tickets that were made available the stadium could technically still fit more people but what it really comes down to is that U2 will average 66k+ per show with over 110 dates played! That is absolutely INSANE.

I know there have only been a very small number of strictly pure stadium tours but even if we were to look at only stadium dates for tours (like you provided for a Bigger Bang) would attendance averages even come close to U2 360? Would any artists stadium attendance average compete with what U2 has/is doing? Stones, Madonna, Bon Jovi, Floyd, The Dead, Led Zep, Aerosmith, AC/DC, 3 Tenors, etc....

Some people make mention that a show here or there wasn't "really" sold out because you could still buy tickets on the day of or that there were sections that were closed off and even though U2 sold the tickets that were made available the stadium could technically still fit more people but what it really comes down to is that U2 will average 66k+ per show with over 110 dates played! That is absolutely INSANE.

Madonna - Certainly not. U2 360 has sold over 7.2 million tickets. Madonna's last FOUR TOURS combined since 2001 have sold 6.3 million tickets. The first leg of her Sticky And Sweet tour which was all stadiums in Europe had an attendance average of 55,000. Compare that U2's first leg in Europe on 360 where U2 had an attendance average of over 73,000. Madonna's highest was 64,000 down in South America. U2 beat her down there to though.

Bon Jovi - somewhere between 40,000 and 55,000 for an average for the stadiums.

Floyd - On Division Bell they averaged about 50,000 per show.

The Dead - Only popular in North America. Only did Stadiums from 1989 to 1995. Averaged at best 50,000 per show.

Led Zep - I think they only played 15 stadium shows in their whole career. Largest show was 78,000.

Aerosmith - they played a lot of festivals in the 1970s. I don't really think of them as a stadium act. In 1988 they played stadiums in North America but their opening act was GUNS N ROSES.

AC/DC - I'm not sure. This last tour was really their first tour where the played large number of stadiums. For an average I would say 50,000 to 55,000 at best. They were unable to really play stadiums in the United States. Tried two, one in Boston and one in New York City, but both failed to sellout.

The Stones - Their best was about 54,000 on Steel Wheels. But if you just look at the Stadium part of the North American Tatoo You Tour in 1981, its 24shows and an average of about 70,000 per show. They also did 26 arena shows on that tour in North America. So that is something to look at that would be comparable to what U2 have done on this tour, at least in North America.

@maoil, once again:

u2 underplayed europe from the mid 80's to the early 90's. it's a fact.
their touring career from 1980 to 1987 focused on the US, for obvious reasons (it's the main music market in the world). they played the US every single year from 1980 to 1987, and in some of those years they toured the country TWICE.
remember that they had started playing arenas in the US in 1983, and stadia in UK/europe in 1985. at the time (prior to the enormous smash of the JT release) they were arleady a pretty big act, both in Europe and the US, coming off a string of succesful singles/songs (NYD-SBS-Pride) and very high-profile live performances (US festival 1983, LiveAid, Self Aid, Conspiracy of Hope).
some examples of u2's underplaying of europe in those years:

first ever show in spain: 1987
no shows in portugal between 1982 and 1993
no shows in norway and denmark between 1985 and 1993
first ever show in austria: 1992
first ever show in eastern europe: 1993
no shows in finland between 1982 and 1997
between 1987 and 1992 they only played 14 indoor shows in europe, in only 4 countries: France-Holland-Germany-Ireland. and those show were originally meant to be only 12.
(......)

their 1987 "major" tour of europe, despite having a couple of reportedly non-sold out shows (but keep in mind that, if I'm not mistaken, Boxscore at the time didn't exist, and most of the times Pimm's numbers were estimates based on newspapers articles), was still UNDERPLAYED. once again: no shows in Austria, Portugal, Norway, Denmark, Finland...only one indoor show in Belgium...

between their major european tours of 1987 and 1993, they played a grand total of only 39 shows in europe, 14 INDOOR in 1989 and 24 INDOOR (+ 1 OUTDOOR) in 1992. those were years of vast, enormous success for the band, the years of the endless stream of hit singles from JT, R+H, AB. tickets for their indoor performances in 1989 and 1992 were virtually impossible to get.
so, I think there's really no doubt that, had they performed major euro-tours in the summers of 1988, 1989, 1990 (or 1992), they would have enjoyed big ticket-sale success.
of course, they chosed to do different. in 1988 they worked on R+H, in 1989 they only did a minor tour, and in 1990 they were demoing AB...

@maoil, once again:

u2 underplayed europe from the mid 80's to the early 90's. it's a fact.
their touring career from 1980 to 1987 focused on the US, for obvious reasons (it's the main music market in the world). they played the US every single year from 1980 to 1987, and in some of those years they toured the country TWICE.

Why do you continue to not mention the fact that the Rolling Stones did not play anywhere in Europe from August 1982 through April 1990? Thats 8 years with NO shows at all. In addition, in 1982, they only did 26 stadium shows after having not toured EUROPE since 1976, a big 6 year gap, larger than anything U2 has done. U2's largest gap in hitting Europe is only 4 years.

U2 played shows where they were selling albums. U2 did not play many shows in many area's of mainland Europe because the band had not been selling many albums there and was not well known prior to mid 1980s.

first ever show in spain: 1987
no shows in portugal between 1982 and 1993
no shows in norway and denmark between 1985 and 1993
first ever show in austria: 1992
first ever show in eastern europe: 1993
no shows in finland between 1982 and 1997

Prior to the release of the Joshua Tree, the band did not have large or significant album sales in Spain, Portugal, Norway, Denmark, Austria, or Finland. Few if any shows were occuring in Eastern Europe before the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989 and the Collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991. There may be some exceptions, but it was not the norm at all.

In addition, the major European markets which have the most impact on any artist popularity in Europe are United Kingdom, Germany, France, and Italy.

between 1987 and 1992 they only played 14 indoor shows in europe, in only 4 countries: France-Holland-Germany-Ireland. and those show were originally meant to be only 12.
(......)

Thats because the band was between albums. U2 did not play the United States or Canada at all from the end of 1987 until early 1992. Europe was lucky to get any shows at all.

their 1987 "major" tour of europe, despite having a couple of reportedly non-sold out shows (but keep in mind that, if I'm not mistaken, Boxscore at the time didn't exist, and most of the times Pimm's numbers were estimates based on newspapers articles), was still UNDERPLAYED. once again: no shows in Austria, Portugal, Norway, Denmark, Finland...only one indoor show in Belgium...

If the band had seriously underplayed Europe, Switzerland would have sold out. In addition, when the band was planning the Euro tour in winter/spring of 1987, their popularity was at a different level. U2's popularity in 1987 sky rocketed making it hard to properly book certain markets.

so, I think there's really no doubt that, had they performed major euro-tours in the summers of 1988, 1989, 1990 (or 1992), they would have enjoyed big ticket-sale success.

There was no reason for a summer tour in 1988 of Europe since the band had just done its largest tour of Europe ever to that point in the summer of 1987. Its like saying that U2 should have toured Europe in the summer of 1994. The band tours to support albums and the shows they played in Europe in 1987 played to a lot of people. Another tour of
Europe in the summer of 1987 while it would have sold tickets would not have done as much business as the 1987 tour. There was no new album to promote at that point and the markets were already used up to a certain degree from the bands large tour there in 1987. Its not to say they couldn't play several markets, its just not something that is done and was not considered by anyone at that time. The bigger, and more profitable market for them was Australia, New Zealand and Japan at the start of 1988. Those three countries had more to offer U2 in terms of tickets sold than another run through Europe in 1988.

Again, should we claim that U2 underplayed Europe in the mid 90s because there were no shows in 1994, 1995, and 1996? Of course NOT!

Finally, If U2 had been seriously underplaying Europe, why were so many shows NOT soldout in the 1993 tour?

Since you insist on reaching and digging up stuff like this lets take a look at some facts about the 1993 Europe tour by U2:

May 19, 1993
Oviedo Spain
Estadio Carlos Tartier
Attendance: 30,000 (No Sellout)

May 26, 1993
Nantes France
Stade De La Beaujoire
Attendance 30,000 (No Sellout)

May 29, 1993
Werchter Belgium
Festival Grounds
Attendance: 73,000 (No Sellout)

June 2, 1993
Frankfurt Germany
Waldstadion

June 6, 1993
Stuttgart Germany
Cannstatter Wasen
Attendance: 53,800 (No Sellout)

June 15, 1993
Berlin Germany
Olympiastadion
Attendance: 40,000 (No Sellout)

Quote:
Though the show is far from sold out, with the second ring completely empty, its the first chance for people from the East side of Berlin and the former East Germany, to see U2.

SOURCE: "U2 Live: A Concert Documentary" Pimm Jal De La Parra

June 28, 1993
Lausanne Switzerland
Stade De La Pontaise
Attendance: 45,000 (No Sellout)

June 30, 1993
Basel Switzerland
St. Jakob's Stadion

August 3, 1993
Nijmegen Holland
Goffert Park
Attendance: 54,844 (No Sellout)

August 18, 1993
Cardiff, Wales
Arms Park

August 20, 1993
London England
Wembley Stadium
Attendance: 42,000 (No Sellout)

Quote:
30,000 seats for August 20 remain unsold. Days before the show, U3 announce that unemployed people who do not have money to buy tickeets will be admitted free if they have a UB40 card. Although a few thousand people take up on this offer, the stadium is little over half-full.

SOURCE: "U2 Live: A Concert Documentary" by Pimm Jal De La Parra

August 24, 1993
Cork Ireland
Pairc UI Chaoimh
Attendance: 39,000 (No Sellout)

Metallica is a band that back then would play anywhere, places like Alaska, North Dakota, Vermont. So its not at all surprising they went to some Eastern European places where the amount of money made IF ANY, was very little at that time.

Again, Paul McGuinness said that anyone who wanted to see U2 in the summer of 1993 in Europe in would be able to. Thats how the tour was designed. To play to as many people as possible. You have a dozen shows above, essentially 25% of the tour, that did not sellout at all. The bands numbers on this tour are very impressive, but they were definitely NOT underplaying the market.

To say this 1993 tour is part of the reason why 360 has been so successful is the height of absurdity!

Why do you continue to not mention the fact that the Rolling Stones did not play anywhere in Europe from August 1982 through April 1990? Thats 8 years with NO shows at all. In addition, in 1982, they only did 26 stadium shows after having not toured EUROPE since 1976, a big 6 year gap, larger than anything U2 has done.

this is, very obviously, a fact. I don't think we need any more discussion about that. of course, there was major demand for seeing RS live in 1989-1990, given the fact that they had not performed anywhere in the world since 1982!
btw: I don't undestand why you continue to paint me as a sort of u2-troll and RS-defendant. to each his own, I guess...
and, pardom me but you look a bit stubborn to me, as you seemingly don't want to admit that u2 were immensely popular in Europe in the late 80's.
nobody has a clue as to why the band didn't do a major tour here in 1988 or 1989. I understand that they wanted to let the US market "rest" before touring there again, after the non-stop tours between 1980 and 1987, but Europe?
we could have easily done with a 20-date stadium tour in summer 1988 (had they not chosen to work on R+H), or a 35-date stadium tour in summer 1989 (after the release of R+H and its very successful singles).
the fact that they didn't do europe in summer 1989, rather than with "strategic" evaluations, to me has more to do with 2 factors: 1) bono had just become father for the 1st time in may 1989; 2) despite the success, they were on the verge of a big "motivation" crisis, as told in "u2 at the end of the world", and did not know well what to do in the future.
in fact, the minor euro tour of december 1989 was a sort of afterthought, a last minute-decision (and announcement, save for the PointDepot gigs announced in april 1989): they chose the biggest european venues existant and available at the time, to accomodate the most number of fans.
plus, one can speculate that they wanted to release what would become AB sooner than they did, like early-mid 1991 (since they were demoing it as early as summer 1990 and already had 2 new songs in the can, which they had played live at the tail end of 1989) and were probably eyeing a potential euro/US tour for summer/fall 1991.

this is, very obviously, a fact. I don't think we need any more discussion about that. of course, there was major demand for seeing RS live in 1989-1990, given the fact that they had not performed anywhere in the world since 1982!
btw: I don't undestand why you continue to paint me as a sort of u2-troll and RS-defendant. to each his own, I guess...

You stated that the stones MILKED THE MARKET in Europe, while U2 consistently underplayed the market in Europe. When you look at the whole history though, this is far from being the case. After 12 posts, this is the first time you have actually acknowledged that the Stones touring prior to 1990 in Europe was very minimal. You've spent all of your time as a member of the forum harping on this one point, and until recently have ignored the above facts about the Stones which refute this claim that the Stones Milked the market in Europe.

Your claim was that Bigger Bang Europe did poorly in attendance because the Stones had milked the market, and U2 360 did well because they underplayed the market. But when you look at the entire tour history of both bands one can see that this is not at all the case.

Even If I thought you were correct in stating that overall U2 underplayed the market in Europe during the Joshua Tree/Rattle And Hum period, that has had virtually no impact on U2 360 over 20 years later.

In addition, if U2 had so seriously underplayed the market in Europe in 1988, 1989 etc, why did 14 of the stadium shows in 1993 fail to sellout? Thats 25% of the 43 date tour in 1993.

You can't argue at all that U2 underplayed Europe in 1993, nor can you argue that for 1997 either. That is indeed a fact as there are so many concerts that FAILED to sellout. You are not underplaying the market when you have shows that FAIL to sellout.

and, pardom me but you look a bit stubborn to me, as you seemingly don't want to admit that u2 were immensely popular in Europe in the late 80's.

LOL, I'm not the one who registered simply to inaccurately claim that "the Rolling Stones milked the market in Europe while U2 underplayed the market". All of your subsequent post involve this one particular topic :wink:

Also, I never said that U2 were not immensely popular in Europe in the late 1980s. They were massively popular there which is why they played 19 stadiums in the summer of 1987.

nobody has a clue as to why the band didn't do a major tour here in 1988 or 1989.

Well, then its certainly not a "fact" that they could have done a tour as big as the one they did in 1987 in the summer of 1988 with no new album or material to promote. Switzerland did not sellout in the summer of 1987. Thats somewhat of a central market in Europe with Italy to south, France to the west, Germany to the North, and Austria to the east. Yet, no sellout.

I understand that they wanted to let the US market "rest" before touring there again, after the non-stop tours between 1980 and 1987, but Europe?

Most people did not know who U2 was prior to 1984. So going back to 1980 to site shows that U2 did is irrelevant. That was a very different time in the bands career when they were still playing clubs and theaters at small ticket prices and trying to make enough money to break even and buy food. The band members did not even have enough money to buy their own houses until AFTER the War tour.

North America wasn't any more exhausted than Europe in terms of seeing U2 since most of the earlier North American shows occured when the band was not popular. The point is, you can't even start to assess U2's touring record, like this in terms of impact on future touring, until the Unforgettable Fire Tour.

we could have easily done with a 20-date stadium tour in summer 1988 (had they not chosen to work on R+H), or a 35-date stadium tour in summer 1989 (after the release of R+H and its very successful singles

1. You won't be able to do a 20 date stadium tour in the summer of 1988 with no new material, especially since the central market of Switzerland FAILED to sellout in 1987. The band NEVER had any plans to do anything like that. Again, 3 countries were their objective in terms of touring at the end of 1987, Australia, New Zealand and Japan. Thats where they new they could still make the most money from touring.

2. With Rattle And Hum you might have a point, but the fact that they did not do this in the summer of 1989 and instead toured Australia, New Zealand and Japan in the fall, is more signicant. Further, once the band did do stadiums in the summer of 1993, 25% of the shows failed to sellout. So its unlikely that a big stadium tour in Europe in the summer of 1989 would have been a good idea. It was to close to the end of Joshua Tree Europe, and Rattle And Hum was only 60% as popular as the Joshua Tree.

You stated that the stones MILKED THE MARKET in Europe, while U2 consistently underplayed the market in Europe. When you look at the whole history though, this is far from being the case. After 12 posts, this is the first time you have actually acknowledged that the Stones touring prior to 1990 in Europe was very minimal. You've spent all of your time as a member of the forum harping on this one point, and until recently have ignored the above facts about the Stones which refute this claim that the Stones Milked the market in Europe.

LOL, I'm not the one who registered simply to inaccurately claim that "the Rolling Stones milked the market in Europe while U2 underplayed the market". All of your subsequent post involve this one particular topic :wink:

I didn't register just to say that. I did register to participate in this discussion!

I still think that RS milked the market IN EUROPE with their continuous touring in stadia between 1990 and 2007. in this long period, they only released 4 studio albums, almost had no hit-singles, always played virtually the same show and saw their ticket price progressively ski-rocketing. this led to some fatigue, especially in some really overplayed markets like germany and holland.

on the other hand, I think that u2 in europe met demand in 1993, 1997 and 2009-2010, whilst on the other euro-tours between '87 and today (1987, 1989, 1992, 2001, 2005), for whatever reason, they underplayed. to me, the huge success of 2009-2010 is partly due to the fact that their euro-runs of 2001 and 2005, both coming off the back of hugely successful albums/hit singles, were underplayed. in the meantime, u2 played a lot of hugely-exposed events (superbowl 2002, oscar 2003, brooklyn bridge 2004, live8 2005, grammies 2001-2002-2005-2006...), thus stimulating ticket demand to the max.

ok, enough with that, let's change topic, what do you think? ;-)

I have one question that has always bugged me: why the hell was the 360 tour so much "spread out" and prolonged? why "only" 110 shows in 2 years? the vertigo tour 2005 had 110 shows in only 9 months...
why the hell didn't u2 do australia/NZ at the end of 2009 and south africa/south america at the start of 2010?
after much thinking, I came to the conclusion that the reason is: Spiderman.
the musical was scheduled to open in early 2010, so it's very plausible that Bono and Edge wished to keep themselves free from touring between the end of 2009 and the start of 2010, to finalize (lol) work on the music.
another reason for scheduling only 24 euro-shows in Europe and 20 in the US in 2009 might have been some much-needed prudence after the unglorious "Flopmart", especially considering that the tickets went on sale in early 2009, at the height of the economic recession. I think that if 2009 US ticket sales hadn't been good, the 2010 US leg, then postponed to 2011 due to Bono's accident, would have never materialized. Europe, on the contrary, was a safer market, still they did only 24 shows in 2009, probably in part due to stadia availability issues (and the No Line record coming out later that they initially thought, thus meaning they neened more time to promote it and rehearse the show = tour starting later).
what do you guys think?

I didn't register just to say that. I did register to participate in this discussion!

What is being discussed currently is your sudden claims, which is all you have discussed since you registered.

I still think that RS milked the market IN EUROPE with their continuous touring in stadia between 1990 and 2007. in this long period, they only released 4 studio albums, almost had no hit-singles, always played virtually the same show and saw their ticket price progressively ski-rocketing. this led to some fatigue, especially in some really overplayed markets like germany and holland.

You can't do that. You can't talk about things just from 1990 onwards. What about 1976 to 1990 for the Stones? How could the Rolling Stones be milking the market when EVERY show soldout in 1990 and 1995, plus the fact that they rarely played Europe from 1976 to 1990?

1. U2 released a similar number of studio albums during the period.
2. U2 ticket prices also sky-rocketed over the same period.

Your trying to say that there is a difference between U2 and the Stones in Europe in terms of the level of touring but there is NOT once you look at what the Stones did PRIOR to 1990. You have EIGHT years with no shows in Europe. Then you have a completely soldout tour in 1990. Then a completely soldout tour in 1995. THATS NOT MILKING THE MARKET. If anything that would be the Rolling Stones UNDERPLAYING the market!

Also look at Italy? Italian shows in 2006 and 2007 did not perform any worse or better than Stones shows in Germany. Remember, no shows in Italy from 1982 to 1990, 1990 tour, then no shows in Italy again until 2003!

on the other hand, I think that u2 in europe met demand in 1993, 1997 and 2009-2010, whilst on the other euro-tours between '87 and today (1987, 1989, 1992, 2001, 2005), for whatever reason, they underplayed. to me, the huge success of 2009-2010 is partly due to the fact that their euro-runs of 2001 and 2005, both coming off the back of hugely successful albums/hit singles, were underplayed.

Notice, you claim U2 "met the demand" in Europe in 1993 and 1997 despite all the shows that did not sellout, and when looking at the Stones, you claim their MILKING it, despite the fact that THEY SOLDOUT all their shows in 1990 and 1995, and with no shows from 1982 to 1990. Most of their shows in 1998 and 1999 were also soldout. The bias here is evident. Not selling out so many shows goes a bit further than meeting demand, and selling out all your shows is certainly NOT milking the market. The Stones then had FIVE years off from Europe in between Bridges and Licks with the exception of a few markets.

Your whole point for registering SEEMS to be, to claim that U2 360 Europe is not really as successful as it looks and that the Rolling Stones A Bigger Bang Tour results are not as bad as they look. This is MOGGIO 101.

The only tour where it can be argued that U2 indeed underplayed by design was the Elevation tour. They were in a rebuilding phase at that point after POPMART and wanted to be cautious.

superglen said:
I one question that has always bugged me: why the hell was the 360 tour so much "spread out" and prolonged? why "only" 110 shows in 2 years? the vertigo tour 2005 had 110 shows in only 9 months...
While I think they could have added roughly 10-15 more shows if they did another Euro/Asian leg, you have to remember that the 110 shows they played for 360 were massive and will have averaged nearly 67k per show. With that said, that is the reason they didn't need to play 130 shows. They were able to play to the same amount of people(much more actually) in less shows. As for spreading it out, one reason (not the only) is the size of the show/stage. They can't just play any stadium anywhere and that is assuming the stadiums that they could play had availability for the 3-4 days that U2 needed to set up/play/take down and leave.

Maoil, you sure know how to warmly welcome new members. Ease up a little on the throttle, would you? Superglen is not Moggio. Move on with your argument.

And for the record, reposting the same thing over and over again is considered trolling.

U2360 North America - My Predictions:

Qwest Field - Seattle, WA - 74,000 / 74,000 - $7,100,000
Overstock.com Coliseum - Oakland, CA - 68,000 / 68,000 - $6,700,000
Angel Stadium of Anaheim - Anaheim, CA - 97,000 / 97,000 - $9,800,000
M&T Bank Stadium - Baltimore, MD - 62,000 / 62,000 - $6,100,000

Wondering if U2 will pass The Rolling Stones' single night attendance at Angel Stadium in 2005 - that's with an 180-degree configuration and seats on the field.

November 4, 2005
Anaheim, CA
Angel Stadium Of Anaheim
GROSS: $6,792,416
ATTENDANCE: 48,480
SHOWS: 1
SELLOUTS: 1
Average Ticket Price: $140.11

They will, however, easily pass the Stones' attendance and grosses (during A Bigger Bang 2006) at Qwest Field (42,813 - $3.5 million) and the Oakland Coliseum (42,739 - $3.9 million).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom