u2 360 Boxscore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well hopefully we can get back on topic before the Panda closes the thread(he has shown patience) since we should be getting boxscores soon. So far all reports from Mexico, Denver, SLC & Winnipeg have been VERY encouraging.

I will check billboard.biz weds morning and post any boxscores by U2, if there are none, I will let you all know, so noboddy has to wonder.

robbrecon72 said:
I will check billboard.biz weds morning and post any boxscores by U2, if there are none, I will let you all know, so noboddy has to wonder.

Thanks!

Curious if when the Miami 2011 reviews come in if they say it was a Florida attendance and/or boxscore record. Tampa 2009 did 72k($6.3mil) and Miami should do around the same. Both venues could have possibly surpassed 75k

Florida 3 Tenors 14 years ago did 40-45k and probably grossed around $7m. 3T only submitted a handful of boxscores.

Phish did 75k and $11m+ for their NYE 2000 blowout. Maoil, rejects this claim because of a typo(numbers don't make sense as 1 event or 2 events) on their boxscore and the fact a 48 hour event with 16 hours of music from 1 band doesn't fit into BB reporting catagorization. 1 act + 1 event + 1 ticket = 75k & $11mil. Partial admission was never available.

Have BB even listed a U2 show since Popmart that didn't "sell out"?

What I'm interested is the final numbers and where they land compared to other local records.

I don't think so. And I think they won't.

My predictions for North America II (so far):

Mexico City - 315,000
Denver - 77,000
Salt Lake City - 48,000
Winnipeg - 51,000

U2FanPeter said:
Have BB even listed a U2 show since Popmart that didn't "sell out"?

What I'm interested is the final numbers and where they land compared to other local records.

I believe they listed a San Diego date from Elevation as not sold out but I could be mistaken. As has been mentioned before, the term "sold out" only applies to the number of tickets put on sale and not necessarily the capacity of a venue. The important numbers are really the gross and attendance as those are the best way to gauge success.

With that said, if an artist doesn't even sell out the number of tickets made available, which I believe is based on expectation, then I think that could be just as telling of a stat as gross/attendance for an event(see POPMART N.A. As an example).

U2FanPeter said:
Curious if when the Miami 2011 reviews come in if they say it was a Florida attendance and/or boxscore record. Tampa 2009 did 72k($6.3mil) and Miami should do around the same. Both venues could have possibly surpassed 75k

Florida 3 Tenors 14 years ago did 40-45k and probably grossed around $7m. 3T only submitted a handful of boxscores.

Phish did 75k and $11m+ for their NYE 2000 blowout. Maoil, rejects this claim because of a typo(numbers don't make sense as 1 event or 2 events) on their boxscore and the fact a 48 hour event with 16 hours of music from 1 band doesn't fit into BB reporting catagorization. 1 act + 1 event + 1 ticket = 75k & $11mil. Partial admission was never available.

The only way to be sure then is for U2 to bring in 80k, which I don't think is out of the question at all.

2 more I'm curious about:

-Bruce did 69k in Oakland in 1985.
Hold 63k for NFL. AFAIK, U2 have never sold a single SF stadium to absolute capacity in their career - always been a couple thousand shy.

-Bruce did 66k in Pittsburgh in 1985.
3 Rivers stadium is now gone and Heinz holds 65k for NFL - being the last US 360 will help. I think Bruce sold rear stage seating 26 years ago like he did in a handful of stadiums due to demand.

The Rolling Stones have played Winnipeg Stadium on 3 seperate tours. U2 have only played the city twice.

Hint: One of the gigs was with Bill Wyman.

Here are the Stones Canadian shows on their 1989-1990 Steel Wheels Tour:

3 September 1989 Toronto, Ontario Canada CNE Stadium
4 September 1989

1 November 1989 Vancouver, British Columbia Canada BC Place Stadium
2 November 1989

3 December 1989 Toronto, Ontario Canada Sky Dome
4 December 1989

13 December 1989 Montreal, Quebec Canada Olympic Stadium
14 December 1989

I don't see any shows in Winnipeg or at Winnipeg Stadium. The Stones did not play any shows in Canada on their 1981 North American Tour. They also did not play any shows in Canada on their 1978 North American Tour. I don't see any Winnipeg shows on the 1975 tour. Prior to 1975, the Rolling Stones rarely played stadiums.

So what is the date of this third Rolling Stones show at Winnipeg Stadium?

Give it a rest. Billboard does not agree with this and I don't think anyone here does either. In addition, there is no way to prove that there were x number of people on one day or the next. Its 75,000 over two days. How many people were gathered together at any one particular time is not really known. A very different case when were looking at a two hour concert.

Above all, when it comes to records, you stick with what is KNOWN and can be CONFIRMED.

AFAIK, U2 have never sold a single SF stadium to absolute capacity in their career - always been a couple thousand shy.

1. Max capacity for Oakland stadium can slightly fluctuate from show to show depending on the size of stage, lighting, current fire code policy for capacity on the field, and any stadium reconstruction or maintainence.

2. Typically 59,800 or around there, used to be the max capacity for Oakland Stadium. U2 got that figure on both Joshua Tree and ZOO TV. The Police got that figure on the Synchronicity Tour.

I don't see any shows in Winnipeg or at Winnipeg Stadium. The Stones did not play any shows in Canada on their 1981 North American Tour. They also did not play any shows in Canada on their 1978 North American Tour. I don't see any Winnipeg shows on the 1975 tour. Prior to 1975, the Rolling Stones rarely played stadiums.

So what is the date of this third Rolling Stones show at Winnipeg Stadium?

July 14th 1966 Winnipeg. The 2nd link indicates the show was actually at the Arena from newspaper records.

The Rolling Stones 1966 tours - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Were you there ? - Winnipeg Free Press

Give it a rest. Billboard does not agree with this and I don't think anyone here does either. In addition, there is no way to prove that there were x number of people on one day or the next. Its 75,000 over two days. How many people were gathered together at any one particular time is not really known. A very different case when were looking at a two hour concert.

Above all, when it comes to records, you stick with what is KNOWN and can be CONFIRMED.

BB wrote an article confirming the attendance number. No newspaper article has any number less than 70k. $11mil on the official boxscore matches the ticket price($150 x 75k = $11mil). All stubs and the ticket order forms say you can only buy a full pass and single days were never sold.

Whether Phish or 3 Tenors, The U2 Tampa show will be a photo finish when it comes to breaking attendance or gross records for the state.

1. Max capacity for Oakland stadium can slightly fluctuate from show to show depending on the size of stage, lighting, current fire code policy for capacity on the field, and any stadium reconstruction or maintainence.

2. Typically 59,800 or around there, used to be the max capacity for Oakland Stadium. U2 got that figure on both Joshua Tree and ZOO TV. The Police got that figure on the Synchronicity Tour.

They did 105,000 between the 2 shows in 1987(15k short) Zeppelin did 115-120,000. They did 60k packed in 1992. 1997 was 66k over 2 nights, which u2 will certainly break in a single night on this trip.

Led Zeppelin - Official Website
Google Image Result for http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd230/honeyhoneyhoney/Led%20Zeppelin/Shows/Oakland%201977/zep_77_oaklandstadium.jpg

-Bruce did 69k in Oakland in 1985.
Hold 63k for NFL. AFAIK, U2 have never sold a single SF stadium to absolute capacity in their career - always been a couple thousand shy.

-Bruce did 66k in Pittsburgh in 1985.
3 Rivers stadium is now gone and Heinz holds 65k for NFL - being the last US 360 will help. I think Bruce sold rear stage seating 26 years ago like he did in a handful of stadiums due to demand.

I have never heard about rear seats being sold in stadiums on the BITUSA tour.

LOL! So then what, 1,900 fans, that's still 190,000k which is the same that they grossed at THEIR OWN SHOW! Your formulas are a joke and I, along with almost everyone else here and in other forums are fully aware that you know nothing about the concert business. Your lack of knowledge is glaring:

$400 million prediction for a 100 date tour! ....... after 100 dates U2 360 will have grossed close to $680, wow that was really close
$90 million prediction for the second NA leg!.......the second NA leg will gross close to $170 million, wow almost 100% off, nice!
26k will attend SLC!......the official number will be much closer to 50k, well at least you are consistent in how wrong you are

Openers account for 10% of the U2 360 gross!.....can't provide official published information to back this embarrassing claim up but instead you use your broken formulas.

Album sales play an important role in your " concert demand" formula yet you claim that Muse have increased their demand in South America even though they haven't sold many albums???? So which is it, album sales matter or your formula is garbage LOL

All you ever bring to the conversation are "but" and "if" because all you ever have are unfounded theories and never facts ( let me remind everyone that he felt that an attendance number for the UYI tour from a fan BLOG was an official source)

And to top it all off, you have pissed off the panda and he will no doubt close this thread.

I find it absolutely hilarious that you STILL seem to think you have the authority to criticize me, when you've not only admitted you don't know much about the concert business, but also how you continue to COMPLETELY IGNORE my perfectly logical explanations to the garbage BS claims above that you continue to bring up time and time again...:lol:

it isn't up to you decide what is and isn't relevant.

Then who? You? Because you don't seem to know much about the concert business either. Well, at least you're at home in this thread.

it's name calling, plain and simple. i don't care if you can prove it or not, this isn't the issue.

Fair enough. But like I said to you through pm, HALF of the people in this thread have been throwing insults at me and for a very long time. So how come they get to do that but I don't?

:lol: i'm far from a "bias" fanboy. i personally couldn't care less if the 360 tour sells out every seat for every show or they don't. it's that in most of your posts you're quick to resort to name calling and trolling, both of which aren't allowed here. but hey, if you want to continue doing it, be my guest.

I didn't call you a fanboy. I called THEM fanboys.

1. At an average ticket price of $15 dollars, few if anyone is going to pay $100 dollars to see the same act play as an opener.

There you go again. Trying to blur the lines when you know damn well how the relation between gross and attendance works. :rolleyes:

2. Your suggesting that The Fray drawing strength increases when they open for U2 which is absurd. Most Fray fans will be more interested in the Fray doing their own show for $15 dollars than playing as an opening act for $100 dollars.

Where am I suggesting that The Fray's draw increased when opening for U2? All I'm saying is that since The Fray can gross roughly $200,000 in SLC, that their contribution will be that to the overall gross of the 360 show there.

3. Oh, and as far as fans traveling to a nearby city that is several hours away, there is NO evidence to that proves that it is actually above 1,000. I'm sure that sometimes it is, but at other times its not. But there is actually no evidence that proves that either way, unless of course you have a list of names and address of people who came from another market which would prove your point.

Of course there is. And that's why a) your prediction for the first North American 360 tour leg was fairly close to the actual amount and b) YOU'VE ALREADY ADMITTED THIS TOUR HAS BEEN STRATEGICALLY SCHEDULED. :rolleyes:

4. Sorry, Pink Floyd is not a larger draw than U2.

But you know they are. So why would you say that? :lol:

This now deceased band had two big tours in the late 80s and early 90s that largely functioned as re-union tours given that they had not properly toured since 1977.

The A Momentary Lapse Of Reason and The Division Bell tours were not reunion tours. We've been over this countless times. Before 1994, Pink Floyd went no more than six years without playing a show. :lol:

Yes, time off boost DEMAND. YOU KNOW THAT! :wink:

Not necessarily.

Also, better pricing schemes for tickets, only $22.50 for many on Division Bell, while making up for that lower price with higher priced tickets near the staged allowed for inflated attendances relative to artist like U2 who were still charging a single ticket price.

:lol: The Division Bell Tour average price was HIGHER than the ZOO TV Tour average price by over 10%. The $22.50 seats were situated at the opposite end of the stage in the upper decks of the stadiums they performed in. :lol:

They also extended their 87-89 tour playing nearly 200 shows, sort of like Nickleback playing lots of shows relative to Muse right?:wink:

Hardly. :lol:

This shows that the Fray are a theater act in these areas. Where are the 10,000+ arena's you said they could fill?

Sorry, but playing a theater in Edmonton, and a theater in Calgary, does not make an artist an arena act in Alberta! :wink: :lmao:

Their theatre shows in Alberta the past few years have been sold out. If they just played one Alberta show and skipped Saskatchewan, they could play either the Saddledome or Rexall Place...

1. Its partly a qoute from you.

BS.

2. Oh, so Muse neglected to play 40 shows in North America. Give us the schedule of these shows with attendance figures if they had chosen to play more in North America. Should be easy since your so convinced this is true.:wink:

Give me a break.

3. You claimed that in the now closed thread for the top concerts of all time. You stated that Muse was benefiting U2 more than Nickleback benefited the Stones in 2006 because the Muse of 2009 was a larger draw than Nickleback of 2006. We now know conclusively that this is FALSE thanks to the North American tour results!

It's not false at all. Muse concentrate on larger markets outside of North America, since the overseas market is larger for them. Anyways, Nickelback did not open for The Stones on the A Bigger Bang Tour in North America - they only opened for The Stones during ONE show in New Zealand. So the comparison is a moot point and shouldn't even be brought up - and you're the one who brought it up in the other thread. But you already know that. You're just trying to blur the lines even further...:rolleyes:

1. Average arena in a 270 configeration has a capacity of 15,000. The Average arena in a 360 configeration has a capacity of 18,500. Given those facts, if you can't pack more than 10,000 people into an arena, you can't go around saying your an arena draw. Playing to 7,500 people is not the sign your an arena act. The Wachovia Center in Philadelphia and the Verizon Center in Washington DC would be MORE THAN HALF EMPTY with just 7,500 fans in them.

That's YOUR opinion. It's certainly not mine.

2. U2 rarely play festivals on a major tour. Yes, they are playing one in the UK this year, a market that has already to some degree been exausted

You're missing my point, genius. :lol:

3. There is absolutely no evidence of that. Your claiming that the Fray's concert demand increases when they are an opener as opposed to when they are headlining their own show! LOL :wink: :lmao: Also, Less than 10% of people who paid $15 dollars for a show would be willing to pay $100 dollars to see the same artist perform a shorter set opening for another band!

Of course there is evidence. It's a well-known fact, that openers are mainly added to help sell tix and fill up the venue. :lol: Roughly $200,000 of the 360 SLC show's overall gross will be from The Fray's draw. There are no, ifs, ands or buts about it. And I'm not claiming The Fray's draw increases when they opened for U2. Where are you getting that from?
:rolleyes:

1. Its $90 million VS $135 million. No BS games with THEATER LEVEL opening acts count. Your way off. period. :wink:

ONCE AGAIN...it's $95 million from 22 shows, since it's one year later in 2011 and not including Mexico. I'll only be about $25 million off, mainly thanks to how SLC, Denver, Minneapolis and Winnipeg were scheduled.

2. Because your prediction was wrong!

It was closer than yours. But then again, you didn't make one! :lol::lol::lol:

You must admit, its a nice system to have to cover ones inaccurate predictions. Openers all bringing in 10%, and strategic scheduling which will be inflated to what ever percentage is necessary to cover ones tracks.

I've given perfectly logical explanations. But of course, you STILL IGNORE THEM. And btw, I NEVER said "all" openers are bringing in 10%. It's an average. But you IGNORE THAT as well. :applaud:

What ever happened to simply comparing the RAW results as they come in from Billboard Boxscore? This is what Billboard Boxscore does when compiling the top artist of the year, a 6 month period of time, or of the entire decade.

Ray Waddell who is the editor for Billboard Boxscore has already said he does not think another artist will top U2 360 except for U2. Arthur Fogel has contemplated how to beat 360 but is doubtful it can be done in a realistic way. These are knowledgable experts, professionals that actually work in the industry, yet MOGGIO simply ignores them.

One of the Billboard articles that states the 360 tour broke the A Bigger Bang tour's record, mentions that The Rolling Stones are contenders for beating it. But of course, you CONVENIENTLY IGNORE THAT. :lol:

Either you´re the biggest moron in the history of mankind or you think we all are stupid. Nearly 2,000 is 1,900 or so, or do you have a personal definition for the word? Eitherway, 2,000, 1,900 or 1,800 is the same for argument sake.

What the hell are you talking about?!

You fucked up big time again and when proved wrong for the umpteenth time you call other people ignorant when it´s the other way round. Anyone who follows these threads knows that.
As far as I´m concerned you know NOTHING about the music business.

Please moderators, stop this MADNESS.

I didn't "fuck up big time" and I've haven't been proven wrong, genius. And I've called some other people ignorant because they are. And so are YOU.

Stop it please! You have NEVER provided any "perfectly logical evidence" to back up your claim about openers contributing a total of 10% to the U2 360° gross. You have posted some boxscores that showed that The Fray are a theatre act in EVERY market they open for U2, yet you claim the opposite. You also claimed that most of U2's openers are arena acts, whereas, in fact, only Muse, Black Eyed Peas are (and Jay-Z might be) in the markets they opened for U2. Boxscores and venues played prove that. You're the one who tries to spin and manipulate facts by using bullshit forumlas, even a 5 year old would not agree on by using logic! Still you accuse other people of spinning and manipulating. I'm not sure if you actually get how ignorant and pathetic you and your arguments are. Sometimes I wonder if you suffer some sort of mental illness that prevents you from understanding that you're WRONG and your arguments are ridiculous.
It just sucks to look in this thread and find your same old bullshit arguments combined with the same old "I'm right and you're wrong and manipulating and you don't know anything about the concert business anyway" over and over again
I'm not a fanboy... at the moment the stuff I dislike about this band even overweighs the stuff I love about them. I'm just sick of this stupid bullshit! I'm out of here until some new boxscores come up...

July 14th 1966 Winnipeg. The 2nd link indicates the show was actually at the Arena from newspaper records.

The Rolling Stones 1966 tours - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Were you there ? - Winnipeg Free Press

BB wrote an article confirming the attendance number. No newspaper article has any number less than 70k. $11mil on the official boxscore matches the ticket price($150 x 75k = $11mil). All stubs and the ticket order forms say you can only buy a full pass and single days were never sold.

Whether Phish or 3 Tenors, The U2 Tampa show will be a photo finish when it comes to breaking attendance or gross records for the state.

They did 105,000 between the 2 shows in 1987(15k short) Zeppelin did 115-120,000. They did 60k packed in 1992. 1997 was 66k over 2 nights, which u2 will certainly break in a single night on this trip.

Led Zeppelin - Official Website
Google Image Result for http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd230/honeyhoneyhoney/Led%20Zeppelin/Shows/Oakland%201977/zep_77_oaklandstadium.jpg

1. Well, the Rolling Stones did play Winnipeg 3 times, but the first time was in an arena.

2. Your still talking TWO DAYS, with NO confirmation of attendance at any particular time over those two days. Just because you buy a two day pass does not mean you went to both days.

3. 59,800 was generally the top attendance when the stadium was played in a 270 configeration. Without a boxscore, the Zepplin attendance was likely the same.

There you go again. Trying to blur the lines when you know damn well how the relation between gross and attendance works. :rolleyes:

Where am I suggesting that The Fray's draw increased when opening for U2? All I'm saying is that since The Fray can gross roughly $200,000 in SLC, that their contribution will be that to the overall gross of the 360 show there.

.[/COLOR][/FONT] :lol:

Well, they only did $192,000. You then suggest that there would be 2,000 fans buying tickets for $100 dollars which equals $200,000 or 3,000 fans at $80 dollars which is $240,000. Even if were to assume that any significant number of people would pay $100 dollars for something that previously had cost them only $15 dollars, these figures are still above what they grossed on their own.

As for Pink Floyd:

1. Being away from most of the world for 10 years, nearly the lifespan of the band in 1977, the year of their last major tour, does indeed look similar to a re-union tour.

2. Tiered Pricing, or sha'll we call it "STRATEGIC PRICING" :wink: is a way of boosting attendance/gross relative to most other tours before then that only used a single ticket price for all seats.

3. Playing more shows on Momentary, nearly 200 is obviously a benefit to the tour, and something U2 did not do which they could have, unless you think they had exhausted demand for them 100% in the 1987-1989 period with the 157 shows they played.

Their theatre shows in Alberta the past few years have been sold out. If they just played one Alberta show and skipped Saskatchewan, they could play either the Saddledome or Rexall Place...

If they could play an arena in the area, they would have. They didn't. Case closed. :wink: You don't get to say your an arena draw unless you play arena's in the area in question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom