U2 360 Boxscore Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Grateful Dead - Dick's Picks 15 - Englishtown 1977 (Album Review)

Other large concerts not held at racecourses have included Rod Stewart at Copacabana Beach in Rio (3. 5 million, 1994); Garth Brooks in Central Park in New York City (750,000 people, 1997); the US Festival in Devore, CA (670,000 people, 1983); the Isle of Wight Festival in the UK (500,000+ people in 1970); and Simon & Garfunkle, again in Central Park (nearly 500,000 people in 1981).

interview with buddy cage about being in NRPS

Joining the New Riders
After you took over the reins of the pedal steel for Jerry, how were you received in that role, especially when you opened up for the Grateful Dead?

(BC) I had never before met such a group of generous people like the GD, including ALL their crew & staff AND Bill Graham!!!!!!!!!! Generous musically, spiritually. Kindness you just don't see every day.
The New Riders were one of the bands performing at Raceway Park in Englishtown, NJ back on Sept. 3, 1977, as an opening act for the Grateful Dead. I understand there was over 100,000 in attendance. What is it like playing for such a large crowd? (The GD released their performance of that show on Dick's Picks Vol. 15)
(BC) Very moving, very intense.
Marshall Tucker was on the bill too. I always thought The New Riders and Marshall Tucker Band shared many similar traits, namely incorporating blues, county, and rock into their sound and importantly, some flat out great picking in both bands. Do you like them much? (BC) Loved 'em! Toy was a pal...
R.I.P.

Lots of young folks don't even know about the big shows in the music industry before all this keeping track records etc.... I went to 4 shows with over 100,000 back in the 70's
I am sure u2 could draw this many as well. Especially if they got rid of the $250 tickets.

Looks like you may be right after all about this show.:wink:

The show at the Raceway Park in Englishtown New Jersey was the 2nd highest grossing show of 1977. The year end issue of Billboard for 1977 listed the top grossing concerts of the year, but only included the gross, and did not include the attendance. The show was not posted to Boxscore from October through December, which means it had to have been posted in September, but there are no issues of Billboard from September 1977 online yet.

So here is what we know now:

Grateful Dead / Marshall Tucker Band / New Riders
Raceway Park; Englishtown, N.J. (September 3, 1977)
Attendance: ?
Gross: $1,091,790

One little correction. The show at the Raceway Park in Englishtown New Jersey was the highest grossing show of 1977. The boxscore at #1 was 2 shows instead of just one which makes the Raceway Park show the #1 single show for gross.

The following show was the second highest grossing show of 1977:

Peter Frampton / Lynyrd Skynyrd / J. Geils Band / Dickie Betts & Great Southern
JFK Stadium; Philadelphia, PA (June 11, 1977)
Attendance: 91,030
Gross: $913,610

The Led Zeppelin Show at the Silverdome in Pontiac Michigan was the 3rd highest grossing show. Pink Floyd's show at Soldier Field in Chicago was the 4th highest grossing show for 1977.

Well, U2 should pull into the number 18 or 19 spot when they play Land Shark Stadium in Miami next year. It seats 76,500 for football and you have to factor in at least another 5000 for GA.

Hey, I like that sparing use of blue font. Looks good.:wink:

How do you know there were 100,000 people there? Did you have to buy a ticket or was the show free? Without actual boxoffice results there is no way to confirm any of this. Sure, multi-band festivals, especially ones that are free, can generate some large crowd figures.

But its far more interesting to see which artist on their own are able to attract such large numbers of people to a show that requires the purchase of a ticket to attend.

Was the Grateful Dead show free or did it require the purchase of a ticket? Again, without boxoffice results, it will be impossible to confirm how many people attended the show.

:up:THe grateful dead show was not free maybe 6 bucks a ticket. It was a headline show with 2 opening acts.... Not a festival...... It just wasnt held at a stadium because you couldnt get enough people in. They used empty tractor trailers as the fence. It started at 2 in the afternoon and was over by 11pm. The dead played about 3 hours. Marshall Tucker and NRPS each played about 90 minutes.
Just do a search on the history of it and you will see. Not like watkins glenn with DEAD BAND AND ALLMAN Brothers. Also check out a festival in CHarlotte race track in late 70's. Allman Brothers and Emerson Lake Palmer were headliners in all day festival. Again over 150,000 but a few 1,000 got in free like me by crashing the fence..... Oh the fun days of concerts where you didn't need to sell your wife and kids and all your dope to see a show.....
As stated most of these were before billboard etc. :shifty: And remember Billboard is like GOldman Sachs and just reports and doesn't not verify what #'s they are given....
Madoff would have been a great promotor....
:sexywink:

:up:THe grateful dead show was not free maybe 6 bucks a ticket. It was a headline show with 2 opening acts.... Not a festival......

I agree that could be the case, but the Marshall Tucker Band had actually sold more albums at that point than the Grateful Dead. Plus 1977 was the peak of their popularity with their first platinum album and their biggest top 20 hit at radio. New Riders were not anywhere near either of them so, if it was just the Grateful Dead and the New Riders, then it would definitely be just a Grateful Dead show. With the Marshall Tucker Band, it might be considered a co-headlining show.

In addition, other Grateful Dead shows at this time were over 7 dollars in smaller venues. Most shows of this size would have higher prices. The Saturday Of Labor Day Weekend in the New York City Metro area was a good date and location for a big show.

Also check out a festival in CHarlotte race track in late 70's. Allman Brothers and Emerson Lake Palmer were headliners in all day festival. Again over 150,000 but a few 1,000 got in free like me by crashing the fence..... Oh the fun days of concerts where you didn't need to sell your wife and kids and all your dope to see a show.....

Actually most people got in free to that show. It was nearly impossible to resell tickets because most people knew you could get in for free.

And remember Billboard is like GOldman Sachs and just reports and doesn't not verify what #'s they are given....

hmmm, thats interesting because ijwthstd said exactly the same thing. LOL

But hey, if thats the case why don't you contact Billboard and report that your band "badu2fan" soldout the General Moters Arena in Vancouver at $90 dollars a ticket? Then we'll all be able to see the boxscore in next weeks addition of Billboard. Go For it!:wink: LOL

So, how exactly are these figures audited and verified? How many people do Billboard have working on just one chart, only shown in it's entirety to online subscribers, that has up to 600 entries a week? How many more people do they have than Pollstar, a full weekly magazine dedicated just to the concert industry? Pollstar wants just the figures without any supporting documentation and their figures pretty much match up with what's in Billboard.

You can usually count on the gross being 100% accurate because that's where possible auditing comes in - by the IRS and also by band representatives to insure they are paid correctly. The rest is just made up stuff with more importance placed on it by a few posters here than the people actually involved.

Oh, BTW, Maoilbheannacht hasn't said much about himself other than that he lives in the WDC area. I am in Burbank, California, the entertainment capital of the world, occassionally work for and until last week shared office space with a talent manager.

Sometimes when a person has been way off in predictions for various things(album sales, concert ticket sales etc.), its only natural that they would then try to deemphasize the importance of such data. :wink:

These two festival shows were the largest attended concerts of 1979 and 1980.

Boston / Heart / Van Halen / Blue Oyster Cult / Nazareth / Sammy Hagar / TKO
Cotton Bowl; Dallas, Texas (June 9, 1979)
Attendance: 81,000
Gross: $1,215,000

SUMMER BLOWOUT
Cheap Trick / Journey / Black Sabbath / Molly Hatchet / The Babys / Russia
LA Memorial Coliseum; Los Angeles, Calif. (July 26, 1980)
Attendance: 75,000
Gross: $930,000

So, how exactly are these figures audited and verified? How many people do Billboard have working on just one chart, only shown in it's entirety to online subscribers, that has up to 600 entries a week? How many more people do they have than Pollstar, a full weekly magazine dedicated just to the concert industry? Pollstar wants just the figures without any supporting documentation and their figures pretty much match up with what's in Billboard.

Were waiting for your Arena or stadium performance to be listed in Billboard Boxscore charts top 10. Make sure its large enough because we want to make sure everyone can view online then they report the top 10 shows in their weekly column. I suggest the General Motors Place in Vancouver. $90 dollars a ticket. Should generate a gross of over $1.5 million.:wink:

Oh, BTW, Maoilbheannacht hasn't said much about himself other than that he lives in the WDC area.

I do? When did I say that? LOL :wink:

Were waiting for your Arena or stadium performance to be listed in Billboard Boxscore charts top 10. Make sure its large enough because we want to make sure everyone can view online then they report the top 10 shows in their weekly column. I suggest the General Motors Place in Vancouver. $90 dollars a ticket. Should generate a gross of over $1.5 million.:wink:

No, I will be reporting a show that is really happening to Pollstar. I couldn't easily find how to report to Billboard. If someone wants to point me to the proper place I will report there too. I couldn't do any of the shows last week because the club has a Halloween Haunted House attached on the same admission and is the main draw. It was too confusing on how to report 1,200 paid when the club where the bands are playing on the same ticket holds about 500 and there is no real set limit of tickets available. People move thru the Haunted House all night and if they of legal drinking age, they can stay at the club and watch the bands. There will be more gigs next weekend without any additional attractions that aren't subject to capacity.

I don't really know where you live but you mentioned attending the show in that area.

But since you insist the numbers are verified and audited perhaps you can share with us exactly how this is done? Quit deflecting with ridiculous questions and demands and answer a very reasonable question.

Off the subject, but Oakland sold out in about 4 hours today. Edmonton and Toronto are close.

Well, U2 should pull into the number 18 or 19 spot when they play Land Shark Stadium in Miami next year. It seats 76,500 for football and you have to factor in at least another 5000 for GA.
Yeah, but how many of those 76500 seats will be blocked off? At least the usual few thousand behind the soundboard, and it looks like quite a large portion will be unavailable behind the stage too. Depending on which sections are unavailable, that show might not even hit 70K.

No, I will be reporting a show that is really happening to Pollstar. I couldn't easily find how to report to Billboard..

Won't do. Its got to be Billboard Boxscore and it should be anything you would like to make up, as long as the gross is high enough for a top 10.

But since you insist the numbers are verified and audited perhaps you can share with us exactly how this is done?

Ah, your the one that insist that there is no verification or checking, which means you should go ahead and report that x artist soldout x venue with a gross of several million. When we see the boxscore in the Billboard top 10, then I and others will stand corrected.

Stop deflecting with Pollstar, and trick or treat. Were waiting for your top 10 Boxscore there everyone around the world will be able to view from Billboard's website. No checking, no auditing, no verification. Should be a breeze. What are you waiting for? Go For it!:wink:

I don't really know where you live but you mentioned attending the show in that area.

Yep, I mentioned that about a couple of weeks before you became a member of this forum.:wink:

Yeah, but how many of those 76500 seats will be blocked off? At least the usual few thousand behind the soundboard, and it looks like quite a large portion will be unavailable behind the stage too. Depending on which sections are unavailable, that show might not even hit 70K.

But I think this stadium is larger than the one in Tampa, so Attendance should be at least as high as the Tampa show which was over 72,000. On the other hand, if they are doing two shows in Miami, they may lower the capacity in order to fill two shows.

Do you think Oakland will get a second show?

The stadium in Oakland is soldout of all tickets except singles in less than 5 hours. I think its probably a near certainty that Oakland will get a second show, but it might not be put on sale until after the start of the new year.

I think Edmonton has a chance for a second show as all multiples of $250 and $95 have soldout, and the only tickets left seem to be $55 and $30 on the upper level at the back.

Toronto's sales look strong as well, and since this is the only additional show there, it should sellout easily.

Won't do. Its got to be Billboard Boxscore and it should be anything you would like to make up, as long as the gross is high enough for a top 10.

Nope. I will submit the figures of a real show and report it as sold out, even if it isn't.

And quit being a freeloader, subscribe and read the whole chart and maybe help Billboard stay in business. Someone is paying for all this.

Ah, your the one that insist that there is no verification or checking, which means you should go ahead and report that x artist soldout x venue with a gross of several million. When we see the boxscore in the Billboard top 10, then I and others will stand corrected.

Nope, it will be a real show, not necessarily subject to your parameters. I don't particularly care if you believe me at this point either as you have little credibility left with your inaccurate assessment of certain 1970's acts and especially your bizarre accusations toward me that even got you a rebuke from the mod.

Stop deflecting with Pollstar, and trick or treat. Were waiting for your top 10 Boxscore there everyone around the world will be able to view from Billboard's website. No checking, no auditing, no verification. Should be a breeze. What are you waiting for? Go For it!:wink:

More drivel . Since you have yet to answer my questions about how specifically the figures are audited (an assertion YOU made), as of now I (and probably others lurking here) will continue to assume you made it up. I have already proven the magazine specifically dedicated to the concert industry, who's figures match up with Billboards exactly, DOESN'T want supporting documentation.

Yep, I mentioned that about a couple of weeks before you became a member of this forum.:wink:

Yes, I read the whole thread after joining.

I have already proven the magazine specifically dedicated to the concert industry, who's figures match up with Billboards exactly, DOESN'T want supporting documentation.

Then why don't you report that the rock band Grapefruit soldout the General Motors Arena in Vancouver at $90 dollars a ticket, with 18,000 in attendance and a gross of $1,620,000? Remember, they don't want supporting documentation, so it should be easy enough to get in there and into the Billboard top 10 for everyone to see.

Yes, I read the whole thread after joining.

Oh, sure. I bet you also memorized all 400 post as well.:wink:

I agree that could be the case, but the Marshall Tucker Band had actually sold more albums at that point than the Grateful Dead. Plus 1977 was the peak of their popularity with their first platinum album and their biggest top 20 hit at radio. New Riders were not anywhere near either of them so, if it was just the Grateful Dead and the New Riders, then it would definitely be just a Grateful Dead show. With the Marshall Tucker Band, it might be considered a co-headlining show.

Marshall tucker was an opening act that was popular.
So was Black Eyed PEas opening for u2 a double bill?
Or Pearl Jam opening for Rolling Stones etc.
COme on lets be fair. The name on ticket is who is headlining
Grateful Dead Tickets, Passes, & Laminates
and sorry tickets were 10 bucks..... My mistake.
I doubt most of you were alive when this show happened and realize what the Grateful Dead were like in the 70's touring and creating the largest fan base with out releasing albums on regular basis. (no band can touch the size of Dead fan base etc. in numbers )

In addition, other Grateful Dead shows at this time were over 7 dollars in smaller venues. Most shows of this size would have higher prices. The Saturday Of Labor Day Weekend in the New York City Metro area was a good date and location for a big show.

Oh so it is location and date that make the show>??? Not...... lets be real folks.

Actually most people got in free to that show. It was nearly impossible to resell tickets because most people knew you could get in for free.

Resell tickets??? back in those days there werent scalpers hanging on streets or parking lot. The buzz of this show was Allman Brothers first tour since duane died and ELP doing the piano rotation in circle. There was a quad sound system set up and this show rocked.

Charlotte was a mad house. They had german shepherd dogs guarding the fence and for a while folks thought they were police dogs and then some nut jumps over fence and dogs come over to him and just want to be petted. The dogs were local people they hired to bring out the dogs to act like security. We broke fence down and it becam a free concert.......
here is band listing and info stating largest concert in NC August Jam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
'August Jam'ABB headlinedOpening was PFMGrinderswitchMarshall Tucker BandFoghatOzark Mtn DaredevilsBlack Oak ArkansasEmerson, Lake and Palmer

hmmm, thats interesting because ijwthstd said exactly the same thing. LOL

But hey, if thats the case why don't you contact Billboard and report that your band "badu2fan" soldout the General Moters Arena in Vancouver at $90 dollars a ticket? Then we'll all be able to see the boxscore in next weeks addition of Billboard. Go For it!:wink: LOL

U2 is big and they set a lot of records. but bands that came before them did the same........Record keeping in industry is a fantasy as bean counters and PR folks will tell you it is sold out every time...:applaud:

Sometimes when a person has been way off in predictions for various things(album sales, concert ticket sales etc.), its only natural that they would then try to deemphasize the importance of such data.:wink:

A few more shows have been added.

The ranked list below includes the highest attended, non-festival, ticketed, concerts in United States History! Then there is a list of ticketed festival shows.

1. U2 - Rose Bowl; Pasadena, Calif. (Oct. 25, 2009)
Attendance: 97,014
Gross: $9,960,036

2. The Who - JFK Stadium; Philadelphia, PA. (September 25, 1982)
Attendance: 91,451
Gross: $1,440,353

3., 4. Rolling Stones - JFK Stadium; Philadelphia, PA. (September 25-26, 1981)
Attendance: 181,564 (average 90,782 per show)
Gross: $2,859,633

5. , 6. , 7. , 8. Rolling Stones - LA Memorial Coliseum; Los Angeles, CA. (October 18-19; 21-22, 1989)
Attendance: - 360,068 (average 90,017 per show)

9. Rolling Stones - Superdome; New Orleans, LA. (December 5, 1981)
Attendance: 87,500
Gross: $1,531,250

10. U2 - John F. Kennedy Stadium, Philadelphia (Sept. 25, 1987)
Attendance: 86,145
Gross: $1,593,683

11. U2 - FedExField; Landover, Md. (Sept. 29, 2009)
Attendance: 84,754
Gross: $6,718,315

12. Journey - Rose Bowl; Pasadena, Calif. (July 2, 1982)
Attendance: 83,214
Gross: $1,373,031

13. The Who - LA Memorial Coliseum; Los Angeles, CA. (October 29, 1982)
Attendance: 83,000
Gross: $1,365,415

14., 15., 16., 17. Bruce Springsteen - LA Memorial Coliseum; Los Angeles, Calif. (Sept 27-30 & Oct 2, 1985)
Attendance: 331,892 (average 82,973 per show)
Gross: $5,688,445

18. Aerosmith - Cotton Bowl; Dallas, Texas (June 20, 1987)
Attendance: 80,927
Gross: $1,638,772

19., 20. U2 - Giants Stadium; East Rutherford, NJ. (September 23-24, 2009)
Attendance: 161,810 (average 80,905 per show)
Gross: $16,128,950

21. Pink Floyd - JFK Stadium; Philadelphia, PA (September 19, 1987)
Attendance: 80,754

22. Rolling Stones - Superdome; New Orleans, La. (July 13, 1978)
Attendance: 80,173
Gross: $1,060,000

23. The Who - Rich Stadium; Buffalo, N.Y. (September 26, 1982)
Attendance: 80,000
Gross: $1,200,000

24., 25. Rolling Stones - Cotton Bowl; Dallas, Texas (November 1, 3, 1981)
Attendance: 156,000 (average 78,000 per show)
Gross: $2,695,332

26. Aerosmith - Silverdome; Pontiac, Michigan (May 8, 1976)
Attendance: 76,900
Gross: $645,824

27., 28. Rolling Stones - Silverdome; Pontiac, Michigan (November 30, December 1, 1981)
Attendance: 152,696 (average 76,348 per show)
Gross: $2,290,490

29. Led Zeppelin - Silverdome; Pontiac, Michigan (April 30, 1977)
Attendance: 76,229

30. Pink Floyd - Ohio State University Stadium; Columbus, Ohio (May 29, 1994)
Attendance: 75,250
Gross: $2,406,920

31. The Who - Silverdome; Pontiac, Mich. (September 30, 1982)
Gross: $1,119,000

32. Rolling Stones - Rich Stadium; Buffalo, N.Y. (September 27, 1981)
Gross: $1,125,000

33. Rolling Stones - Sun Devil Stadium: Tempe, Arizona (December 13, 1981)
Attendance: 74,637
Gross: $1,287,488

34. Foreigner - Anaheim Stadium; Anaheim, Calif. (July 17, 1982)
Attendance: 73,351
Gross: $1,100,255

35. Backstreet Boys - Georgia Dome, Atlanta (Feb. 19, 2000)
Attendance: 73,337
Gross: $2,787,098

36., 37. Bruce Springsteen - Orange Bowl; Miami, Florida (September 9-10, 1985)
Attendance: 146,458 (average 73,229 per show)
Gross: $2,563,015

Note: The following shows could potentially make this list of shows, which consist of shows with 73,000+ attendance per show. But no official boxscore was posted in Billboard for these shows.

Rolling Stones - LA Memorial Coliseum; Los Angeles, Calif (October 9-10, 1981)
Gross: ?

The Police - JFK Stadium; Philadelphia, PA (August 20, 1983)

The Police - Hollywood Park; Hollywood, Calif (September 5, 1983)

Fleetwood Mac - JFK Stadium; Philadelphia, PA (July 1978)

Festivals and shows that appear to be festivals:

1. "SPIRIT OF SUMMER 76" #1
Line up: Yes / Peter Frampton / Gary Wright / Pousette Dart Band
JFK Stadium; Philadelphia, PA (June 12, 1976)
Attendance: 105,000
Gross: $1,050,000

2. Peter Frampton / Lynyrd Skynyrd / J. Geils Band / Dickie Betts & Great Southern

3. Allman Brothers / Marshall Tucker / Outlaws / Molly Hatchet / .38 Special
JFK Stadium; Philadelphia, PA (June 20, 1981)
Attendance: 90,000
Gross: $1,350,000

4. LIVE AID - JFK Stadium; Philadelphia, PA (July 13, 1985)
Attendance: 89,484
Gross: $3,552,800

5. Boston / Heart / Van Halen / Blue Oyster Cult / Nazareth / Sammy Hagar / TKO

6. 10TH ANNUAL TEXAS WORLD MUSIC FESTIVAL
Boston / Aerosmith / Whitesnake / Poison / Tesla / Farrenheit
Cotton Bowl; Dallas, Texas (June 20, 1987)
$1,638,772

7. MONSTERS OF ROCK '88 - LA Memorial Coliseum; Los Angeles, Calif. (July 24, 1988)
Attendance: 80,144
Gross: $1,943,900

8. TEXAS WORLD MUSIC FESTIVAL
Deep Purple / Night Ranger / Scorpions / Ted Nugent / Bon Jovi / Grim Reaper / Victory
Cotton Bowl; Dallas, Texas (August 24, 1985)
Attendance: 79,344
Gross: $1,467,864

9. FARMAID - Memorial Stadium; University Of Illinois Champaign, Illinois (September 22, 1985)
Attendance: 79,000
Gross: $1,450,500

10. SUMMER BLOWOUT

11. SUMMER SANITARIUM TOUR
Metallica / Korn / Kid Rock / Powerman 5000 / System Of A Down
LA Memorial Coliseum; Los Angeles, Calif. (July 15, 2000)
Attendance: 73,458
Gross: $4,334,590

Then why don't you report that the rock band Grapefruit soldout the General Motors Arena in Vancouver at $90 dollars a ticket, with 18,000 in attendance and a gross of $1,620,000? Remember, they don't want supporting documentation, so it should be easy enough to get in there and into the Billboard top 10 for everyone to see.

More deflections and drug addled drivel from someone unable to prove HIS point. If you really want to admit to handling that much money in a public forum why don't YOU report the show and then you can finally let us know about the Billboard verification and accounting practices you are so insistent take place.

Oh, sure. I bet you also memorized all 400 post as well.:wink:

I was certainly able to see a pattern.

More deflections and drug addled drivel from someone unable to prove HIS point.

Drug addled drivel?

why don't YOU report the show and then you can finally let us know about the Billboard verification and accounting practices you are so insistent take place.

Because I'm not the one making the claim that there is no checking or verification done when it comes to Billboard Boxscore which suggest anyone could report virtually anything and have it posted on Billboard Boxscore. YOU made that claim.

Its not controversial to state that Billboard is a source of reliable and accurate information on the music business. It is controversial to assume that Billboard has no way of checking or verifiying what it puts into its magazine and on its website every week.

The burden of proof is on the person making a controversial claim which in this case is YOU.

Drug addled drivel?

Because I'm not the one making the claim that there is no checking or verification done when it comes to Billboard Boxscore which suggest anyone could report virtually anything and have it posted on Billboard Boxscore. YOU made that claim.

I have yet to even find a way to report anything to Billboard.

Its not controversial to state that Billboard is a source of reliable and accurate information on the music business. It is controversial to assume that Billboard has no way of checking or verifiying what it puts into its magazine and on its website every week.

The only relevant info being the gross which is how the chart is arranged. Capacities and percentages is irrelevent info. And you have yet to specify exactly how info on up to 600 shows a week is verified and what supporting documentation is requested. Seems like quite a hefty task for a chart that is mostly just published online and when magazines are suffering major declines in business and revenue.

However, Pollstar Magazine, the industry standard for concerts and who's info matches up the info in Billboard exactly, only wants the form filled out. They don't want supporting documentation. This much has been proven.

I have yet to even find a way to report anything to Billboard.

The only relevant info being the gross which is how the chart is arranged. Capacities and percentages is irrelevent info. And you have yet to specify exactly how info on up to 600 shows a week is verified and what supporting documentation is requested. Seems like quite a hefty task for a chart that is mostly just published online and when magazines are suffering major declines in business and revenue.

However, Pollstar Magazine, the industry standard for concerts and who's info matches up the info in Billboard exactly, only wants the form filled out. They don't want supporting documentation. This much has been proven.

Which does not prove your claim that BILLBOARD does not in any way check or verify what it puts on its website and inside its magazine. So, given your claim, you should be able to contact Billboard and report anything you would like and have it posted in the Boxscore chart.

When that happens, you will have proved your point.

You counted this one twice and Aerosmith wasn't even the headliner.

In the UKMIX FORUM website, the show was listed with Aerosmith as the headliner and only two opening acts. The festival show, which is the same show came from Billboard Boxscore itself. The shows were posted at different times and I missed the mistake.

Which does not prove your claim that BILLBOARD does not in any way check or verify what it puts on its website and inside its magazine. So, given your claim, you should be able to contact Billboard and report anything you would like and have it posted in the Boxscore chart.

When that happens, you will have proved your point.

Where do I report shows to Billboard?

A few more shows have been added.

The ranked list below includes the highest attended, non-festival, ticketed, concerts in United States History! Then there is a list of ticketed festival shows.

1. U2 - Rose Bowl; Pasadena, Calif. (Oct. 25, 2009)
Attendance: 97,014
Gross: $9,960,036

2. The Who - JFK Stadium; Philadelphia, PA. (September 25, 1982)
Attendance: 91,451
Gross: $1,440,353

3., 4. Rolling Stones - JFK Stadium; Philadelphia, PA. (September 25-26, 1981)
Attendance: 181,564 (average 90,782 per show)
Gross: $2,859,633

5. , 6. , 7. , 8. Rolling Stones - LA Memorial Coliseum; Los Angeles, CA. (October 18-19; 21-22, 1989)
Attendance: - 360,068 (average 90,017 per show)

9. Rolling Stones - Superdome; New Orleans, LA. (December 5, 1981)
Attendance: 87,500
Gross: $1,531,250

10. U2 - John F. Kennedy Stadium, Philadelphia (Sept. 25, 1987)
Attendance: 86,145
Gross: $1,593,683

11. U2 - FedExField; Landover, Md. (Sept. 29, 2009)
Attendance: 84,754
Gross: $6,718,315

12. Journey - Rose Bowl; Pasadena, Calif. (July 2, 1982)
Attendance: 83,214
Gross: $1,373,031

13. The Who - LA Memorial Coliseum; Los Angeles, CA. (October 29, 1982)
Attendance: 83,000
Gross: $1,365,415

14., 15., 16., 17. Bruce Springsteen - LA Memorial Coliseum; Los Angeles, Calif. (Sept 27-30 & Oct 2, 1985)
Attendance: 331,892 (average 82,973 per show)
Gross: $5,688,445

18., 19. U2 - Giants Stadium; East Rutherford, NJ. (September 23-24, 2009)
Attendance: 161,810 (average 80,905 per show)
Gross: $16,128,950

20. Pink Floyd - JFK Stadium; Philadelphia, PA (September 19, 1987)
Attendance: 80,754

21. Rolling Stones - Superdome; New Orleans, La. (July 13, 1978)
Attendance: 80,173
Gross: $1,060,000

22. The Who - Rich Stadium; Buffalo, N.Y. (September 26, 1982)
Attendance: 80,000
Gross: $1,200,000

23., 24. Rolling Stones - Cotton Bowl; Dallas, Texas (November 1, 3, 1981)
Attendance: 156,000 (average 78,000 per show)
Gross: $2,695,332

25. Aerosmith - Silverdome; Pontiac, Michigan (May 8, 1976)
Attendance: 76,900
Gross: $645,824

26., 27. Rolling Stones - Silverdome; Pontiac, Michigan (November 30, December 1, 1981)
Attendance: 152,696 (average 76,348 per show)
Gross: $2,290,490

28. Led Zeppelin - Silverdome; Pontiac, Michigan (April 30, 1977)
Attendance: 76,229

29. Pink Floyd - Ohio State University Stadium; Columbus, Ohio (May 29, 1994)
Attendance: 75,250
Gross: $2,406,920

30. The Who - Silverdome; Pontiac, Mich. (September 30, 1982)
Gross: $1,119,000

31. Rolling Stones - Rich Stadium; Buffalo, N.Y. (September 27, 1981)
Gross: $1,125,000

32. Rolling Stones - Sun Devil Stadium: Tempe, Arizona (December 13, 1981)
Attendance: 74,637
Gross: $1,287,488

33. Foreigner - Anaheim Stadium; Anaheim, Calif. (July 17, 1982)
Attendance: 73,351
Gross: $1,100,255

34. Backstreet Boys - Georgia Dome, Atlanta (Feb. 19, 2000)
Attendance: 73,337
Gross: $2,787,098

35., 36. Bruce Springsteen - Orange Bowl; Miami, Florida (September 9-10, 1985)
Attendance: 146,458 (average 73,229 per show)
Gross: $2,563,015

Note: The following shows could potentially make this list of shows, which consist of shows with 73,000+ attendance per show. But no official boxscore was posted in Billboard for these shows.

Rolling Stones - LA Memorial Coliseum; Los Angeles, Calif (October 9-10, 1981)

The Police - JFK Stadium; Philadelphia, PA (August 20, 1983)

The Police - Hollywood Park; Hollywood, Calif (September 5, 1983)

Fleetwood Mac - JFK Stadium; Philadelphia, PA (July 1978)

Festivals and shows that appear to be festivals:

1. "SPIRIT OF SUMMER 76" #1
Line up: Yes / Peter Frampton / Gary Wright / Pousette Dart Band
JFK Stadium; Philadelphia, PA (June 12, 1976)
Attendance: 105,000
Gross: $1,050,000

2. Peter Frampton / Lynyrd Skynyrd / J. Geils Band / Dickie Betts & Great Southern

3. Allman Brothers / Marshall Tucker / Outlaws / Molly Hatchet / .38 Special
JFK Stadium; Philadelphia, PA (June 20, 1981)
Attendance: 90,000
Gross: $1,350,000

4. LIVE AID - JFK Stadium; Philadelphia, PA (July 13, 1985)
Attendance: 89,484
Gross: $3,552,800

5. Boston / Heart / Van Halen / Blue Oyster Cult / Nazareth / Sammy Hagar / TKO

6. 10TH ANNUAL TEXAS WORLD MUSIC FESTIVAL
Boston / Aerosmith / Whitesnake / Poison / Tesla / Farrenheit
Cotton Bowl; Dallas, Texas (June 20, 1987)
$1,638,772

7. MONSTERS OF ROCK '88 - LA Memorial Coliseum; Los Angeles, Calif. (July 24, 1988)
Attendance: 80,144
Gross: $1,943,900

8. TEXAS WORLD MUSIC FESTIVAL
Deep Purple / Night Ranger / Scorpions / Ted Nugent / Bon Jovi / Grim Reaper / Victory
Cotton Bowl; Dallas, Texas (August 24, 1985)
Attendance: 79,344
Gross: $1,467,864

9. FARMAID - Memorial Stadium; University Of Illinois Champaign, Illinois (September 22, 1985)
Attendance: 79,000
Gross: $1,450,500

10. SUMMER BLOWOUT

11. SUMMER SANITARIUM TOUR
Metallica / Korn / Kid Rock / Powerman 5000 / System Of A Down
LA Memorial Coliseum; Los Angeles, Calif. (July 15, 2000)
Attendance: 73,458
Gross: $4,334,590

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom