Too much claw, not enough body! - Complaints about the setlist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hopefully this won't start any fights but the way I see this is that U2, as an artist, can come out and do whatever they want. I also see that U2, again as an artist, would probably not want to repeat the same setlist every night. I also see that U2, as a business, would want to try to make all fans happy, both new and old - especially when you are grossing $9 million a show.

I would say, based upon U2's track record and there position as one of the top rock & roll bands of all time, that they have been making very good decisions. I would also say that, as an old fan, they haven't always been making the best decisions but heck, I'm still here so they haven't been bad decisions. :applaud:

I plan to see them in Las Vegas and LA and would love to see my 40 favorite songs spread out over the two nights but it isn't going to happen yet I still plan to go and will still love the shows. :heart:

I think the terms 'obscure' and 'rarity' have little place in this discussion, yet they're thrown around all the time. Nobody is up in arms because U2 isn't playing Love Comes Tumbling(how amazing would that be :wink: ). By and large, the people that go on and on here are hoping for U2 to add songs that were singles, and/or that were regulars on their initial tours and in some cases even subsequent tours, to the setlist as rotational songs; 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, I Will Follow, Two Hearts Beat As One, A Sort Of Homecoming, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, The Fly, Lemon, Dirty Day, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, Discotheque, Mofo, Staring At The Sun, Last Night On Earth, Gone, Please(full band), Kite, New York...et al. These songs are not obscure...well, you could make the argument for a couple of them, but most of them are not. These aren't b-sides or never-before-played holy grails. Most of them were singles. And, honestly, it's early in the tour, a lot of the above could very well show up by the time all is said and done(I Will Follow, EBTTRT, Horses, The Fly, Discotheque, Kite, etc).

2a. There are only three b-sides I will even talk about being performed live at this point. One has already been played this tour - Party Girl. The other I think would work beautifully in this set is Sweetest Thing. It seems like it's relatively easy/simple to play, it would work in the stadium because it's very, very catchy and it's well-known because of the 1998 single release(making it not exactly a b-side anymore but a single), and it would fit nicely in the portion of the set between Beautiful Day and Unknown Caller. I think it would be a great and painless addition to the set - I'm not really sure why they ever dropped it after the early Elevation shows it was played at. The third b-side I will talk about is Spanish Eyes, just because it was played semi-regularly in the late 80s and seemed to get a good reaction on the boots...but it's been forever since they've played it, and it wouldn't be nearly the home-run I think Sweetest Thing would be, and probably isn't worth giving up other songs for. But it would be co

ALL VERY WELL SAID! NO ONE IS ARGUING FOR ANYTHING THAT OBSCURE, JUST THE 100TH PERFORMANCE OF TWO HEARTS BEAT AS ONE OR LAST NIGHT ON EARTH OR PLEASE..... FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 10PLUS YEARS FOR ALL OF THEM WOULD BE GREAT.

Like I said, they're probably a little too long, but I don't think the track selection is that unrealistic. You don't see Wild Irish Rose or Lady With The Spinning Head anywhere. I think any of these sets would please most of any stadium.

Anyway, those are my thoughts for now.
[/quote]

Well said and I agree with you 100%, this is what I've tried to say in the past but I usually end up getting massacred. :D:D

Well done. :applaud:

Back
Top Bottom